Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minix Neo X8 AND X8s

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Every version has minor fixes and enhancements. Nothing major or ground breaking. If he is not facing any issue then there's a good chance he doesnt need those enhancements.

Flashing to new firmware is easy. The only problem - flashing new firmware manually will probably wipe out any of the apps that's installed. You can always take a backup of all your apps + kodi backup (if its installed). If he knows his way around Android then it shouldn't be an issue.

If he is not comfortable then I will suggest to leave the way it is. In case if he face any issue / problem then only think about flashing the new firmware.

The plus point of having the new firmware is to get any update whenever they are available that too without loosing out you apps or data. Go through the pain once and the next update is not an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Burkie7

Is this the best box going?

Just got a 4k TV so looking for a very powerful box to use with it.

Thanks.

The Best Box - That's very subjective. You ask 10 different people and everyone will probably tell you about a different box. There's so many choices available.

This box is certainly not cheap.

From my experience its a very decent box with a good support. I have used quite a few boxes in last few years. In those I think its the best.

Cheers mate just got it there it's amazing I'm delighted with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭BandMember

Ok, so, my friend has the X-8H Plus model and he says that Genesis has "disappeared" from his icons. I presume that this is because he had an older version which has since been pulled with the recent updates? I can get him to do a reinstall but how do I set it up that his box updates automatically so that this doesn't happen again?

I'm a bit baffled to be honest because I have the older X-8H model and this have never happened to me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

BandMember wrote: »
    Ok, so, my friend has the X-8H Plus model and he says that 3rd Party addon has "disappeared" from his icons. I presume that this is because he had an older version which has since been pulled with the recent updates? I can get him to do a reinstall but how do I set it up that his box updates automatically so that this doesn't happen again?

I'm a bit baffled to be honest because I have the older X-8H model and this have never happened to me!

The 3rd party addon I removed from your quote...Updated it's code and bug fixes etc,etc broke the path on your friends build(skin)...I'd imagine.So it will probably still be listed in the Video Addons section.He can re-add it via Settings>Appearance>Skin Settings and all should be fine.

Anyone any good apps to get for this outside of the usual ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭NegativeOne

Burkie7 wrote: »

I have Showbox, Mobpro, Cartoon HD, Kodi, XMBC that's it.

Would really like to know how to get sports channel in HD.
    You know we can't answer that here!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

I have Showbox, Mobpro, Cartoon HD, Kodi, XMBC that's it.

Would really like to know how to get sports channel in HD.

Paid ones are the only way of getting HD!

Paid ones are the only way of getting HD!

Cool can you link me to the paid ones or do you mean UPC and SKY?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

You know we can't answer that here!
    Cool can you link me to the paid ones or do you mean UPC and SKY?

This cannot be discussed here and you know that by now.....There are plenty of options out there and websites where you can chat about this stuff,but not here.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭adr_sullivan

Does anyone know where I could get a power cable for the x8

Thanks

bazzz wrote: »
    The 3rd party addon I removed from your quote...Updated it's code and bug fixes etc,etc broke the path on your friends build(skin)...I'd imagine.So it will probably still be listed in the Video Addons section.He can re-add it via Settings>Appearance>Skin Settings and all should be fine.

Oops! Sorry about that! I really shouldn't have named that add on! :o Is there any way that I can get him to change his settings so that it doesn't happen again? On my Minix X-8H, it just automatically updates the add ons whenever there is an update - it has never removed/deleted any.

^^

He probably cleared up the cache manually or by some app like cleanmaster etc.

That will remove the icons etc.

Is he using a custom build? If not then then its easy enough to get icons back. I guess the name of the addon still showing up, just the icon is missing?

The only foolproof way of not losing your custom setting is by taking periodic backup. You can simply restore and that will give you everything back.

I showed him how to delete the cache and purge the packages in both that third party add on and the Maintenance Tool. I told him to do this before he shuts it down at the end of each day (a good habit to get into, even if it doesn't need to be done that often). However, I do this myself as none of my icons have ever disappeared.

He's a complete newbie to Kodi (never even heard of it until I bought him a box) so I doubt he's even heard of something like Cleanmaster. I know I haven't anyway.... lol

Anyway, it's grand as he reinstalled it but I'm just wondering if there is anything I can do help prevent it happening again?

Well, it's a custom build in the sense that I set it up for him in terms of deleting add ons that he wouldn't use and installing only the add ons that I knew he would use.

Actually, I'm going to be setting up a few boxes with the exact same set up very shortly - is there any way that I can save it and just install it with the click of a button (so to speak)? Please keep the instructions simple though as you're dealing with a simple installer..... lol

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭wush06

There are some great community builds out there now which update themselves the one I'm using at the moment is called andys build Google it.
    The main thing with the kodi community is not to pay for a custom builds as all the main addons are free.
    There is also some great YouTube videos on customising kodi.

Thanks, but I'm not really interested in a Community Build - I like the one that I have created and want to replicate it on a number of devices. I keep it simple and minimal as I find there are less problems that way and the less clutter with add ons (most of which will never be used) and less space used, the better the box itself works.

Actually, I'm going to be setting up a few boxes with the exact same set up very shortly - is there any way that I can save it and just install it with the click of a button (so to speak)? Please keep the instructions simple though as you're dealing with a simple installer..... lol

That's what the backup and restore are for. Backup from your Kodi and restore on any box :) They will have everything you have.

I will send you the instructions later.

Cleanmaster is not a kodi addon. Its a standalone app, I think Minix comes with this app preinstalled. It definately removes the icons, I know from the experience :)

You can get the icons back without reinstalling addon.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭wush06

Thanks, but I'm not really interested in a Community Build - I like the one that I have created and want to replicate it on a number of devices. I keep it simple and minimal as I find there are less problems that way and the less clutter with add ons (most of which will never be used) and less space used, the better the box itself works.

Totally agree with you it was just to give an idea on what can be done and then use the videos to implement it into your own build.
    Hey if you want to give me a PM when you have your build done I'd love to try it for you:)

coldfire1x wrote: »
    That's what the backup and restore are for. Backup from your Kodi and restore on any box :) They will have everything you have.

I will send you the instructions later.

Cleanmaster is not a kodi addon. Its a standalone app, I think Minix comes with this app preinstalled. It definately removes the icons, I know from the experience :)

You can get the icons back without reinstalling addon.

Hey, that would be great if you could PM me the instructions please - going to have a go at it tomorrow evening so would be very handy if I could just replicate it on the other box(es) straight away! :D

You might want to keep it simple though as I am a bit of a dumbass with technical terms.... :o

Two things though:

(1) Should I use the pre-installed version of XBMC for Minix or should I install TVMC 14.2 instead? I'm just wondering which will last the longest and be more compatible with the add ons.

(2) What about copying over favourites that you might have saved in third party add ons. For example, I have a number of tv series which I watch saved to "My *****". Will these carry over? Should I add things to My Favourites or My Library in order to copy them over?

As regards Cleanmaster, I don't use any apps and don't tell other people to either (I find it easier to combine everything in one place inside XBMC and some apps have been known to cause problems with the box in terms of interfering with the operation of it and containing viruses or ad/malware). So, that's probably why I've never heard of it.... ;)

• Advertisement

wush06 wrote: »
    Totally agree with you it was just to give an idea on what can be done and then use the videos to implement it into your own build.
    Hey if you want to give me a PM when you have your build done I'd love to try it for you:)

If I can figure out how to do that, I will definitely send it on to you if you are interested. :)

However, it's nothing special - no fancy wallpapers or screensavers, no multiple toolbars or anything. I find that the more basic the set up, the less chance there is of problems. Besides, you didn't buy the box to be looking at fancy background art.... :P

I basically just have a couple of the more popular video add ons to watch movies/tv series, a paid IPTV add on and a paid Sports add on (please don't ask me to name them or the thread will be closed). Then, just a couple of Music add ons to listen to Radio Channels and Podcasts - No Picture or Weather add ons. Occasionally, I might put up a Live TV playlist but I keep that part of your toolbar so that it "balances out" and when you open XBMC, it brings you straight to your Video Add On shortcuts.... :D

@BandMember - I will send it to you tomorrow.

Anyone having any issues with the latest OTA System Update? The one with the awful looking new "home page".

I'm having major issues trying to watch tv shows and movies in any add on that I try....

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ben101

OTA never worked on mine,it always says there are no updates available

ben101 wrote: »
    OTA never worked on mine,it always says there are no updates available

Are you still on FW1 or 2 by any chance? Back then, you had to flash the updates but after that, you should be able to just do them OTA. You should be on FW5 or 6 by this stage....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,940 ✭✭✭dodzy

Are you still on FW1 or 2 by any chance? Back then, you had to flash the updates but after that, you should be able to just do them OTA. You should be on FW5 or 6 by this stage....
    if memory serves, think you need to manually upgrade to 003, then it's OTA from there on in.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ben101

Ah, OK that explains it.Will update Fw later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Messing around on kodi clicked into system iirc it showed what the MINIX has ram and stuff, showing it has 1.5gb? It pricked something so went looking for specs

http://m.geekbuying.com/item/MINIX-NEO-X8-H--X8H--Amlogic-S802-H-Quad-Core-Google-Android-4-4-2-2-0Ghz-Android-TV-BOX-HDMI-HDD-Player-2G-16G-Dual-Band-WIFI-2-4G-5-8G-Bluetooth-4-0-XBMC-328163.html

2gb-16gb ram and disk space? Or is the 2gb something else

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

user2011 wrote: »
    Messing around on kodi clicked into system iirc it showed what the MINIX has ram and stuff, showing it has 1.5gb? It pricked something so went looking for specs

http://m.geekbuying.com/item/MINIX-NEO-X8-H--X8H--Amlogic-S802-H-Quad-Core-Google-Android-4-4-2-2-0Ghz-Android-TV-BOX-HDMI-HDD-Player-2G-16G-Dual-Band-WIFI-2-4G-5-8G-Bluetooth-4-0-XBMC-328163.html

2gb-16gb ram and disk space? Or is the 2gb something else

2GB DDR3 RAM and 16GB emmc Storage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

2GB DDR3 RAM and 16GB emmc Storage

Yeah, it's suppose to have that but on kodi it shows that it actually has 1.5gb of ram. I installed cpu-z thinking kodi was wrong but that too says there is 1.5gb.

Anyone else get 1.5gb?

Advertisement