Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brenda Power versus the Travellers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Was Barack Obama right in saying that thing that he said last Wednesday at about 3 o clock?

Who's still listening to him at this point?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Tigger wrote: »
    Did she say all ?

She explicitly stated negative characteristics to all of an ethnic group. Isn't that what racism is?
    Criticise the incidents violence etc but applying that to every member of the travelling community is taking it too far and racist.

• Site Banned Posts: 86 ✭✭Pixie69

tipptom wrote: »
    Brenda power vs the travellers ,she should put up a video on Utube trash talking them and her brothers jumping up and down behind her in their wife beaters roaring"Cmon ill bate the f*cking lot of yiz.

Ye ****e in a bucket

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

20Cent wrote: »
    She explicitly stated negative characteristics to all of an ethnic group. Isn't that what racism is?
    Criticise the incidents violence etc but applying that to every member of the travelling community is taking it too far and racist.
    Are they a separate ethnic group?,i thought that a show done recently that was a presented by a traveller showed that there was no difference in their dna compared to other Irish people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Are they a separate ethnic group?,i thought that a show done recently that was a presented by a traveller showed that there was no difference in their dna compared to other Irish people.

And what if there was. People from the islands can be identified by their dna. People from the West of Ireland have Basque region dna from thousands of years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Travellers are neither a race not an ethnic group. It's a lifestyle choice.

Ethnic groups don't necessarily have different DNA. It's a group that shares a distinctive culture.

i hope there is a backlash against these parasites

Articles like Powers encourages reactions like this. Incitement to hatred.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

" I'd like to know the prison population of travellers in Ireland.

So would I. Actually I think it would be a valuable piece of social research to figure out prison populations, earnings by group versus main population.

There are over 120,000 Polish people in Ireland, of which approx 25% are on social welfare. How much crime is committed by the Poles per capita?. Ditto for all other nationalities

I think many people would expect that travellers would have a very high prison population & social welfare claim per capita

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

kingtiger wrote: »
    since when are travellers a race?
    When I see a couple of them belting it down the road on their wee horses and traps, I think they're a race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

No. Travellers own lack of respect for and contribution to wider society ( while stll benefiting from it) is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

hatred against who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

D1stant wrote: »
    So would I. Actually I think it would be a valuable piece of social research to figure out prison populations, earnings by group versus main population.

There are over 120,000 Polish people in Ireland, of which approx 25% are on social welfare. How much crime is committed by the Poles per capita?. Ditto for all other nationalities

I think many people would expect that travellers would have a very high prison population & social welfare claim per capita

That polish welfare figure sounds ludicrous. Source?

hatred against who?
    Travellers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Ethnic groups don't necessarily have different DNA. It's a group that shares a distinctive culture.

And 'culture' is used to defend the indefensible time and again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Here is a reply left on thejounal.ie, I couldn't agree more with it.

As long as we encourage a culture of victim hood, we will continue to raise victims, and so the cycle or underachievement continues.
    One of the things that holds back open and reasonable discussion on matters regarding the travelling community is that they themselves (and other people also) are too quick to jump in with ‘discrimination’, ‘anti-traveller’ and ‘racism’ accusations.
    So it is well near impossible to get any kind of dialogue going because if you express a negative opinion at all you are then in the firing line for accusations of discrimination.
    I’ll give an example- there is traveller accommodation quite near my home (a medium sized town within 50 min’s drive of Dublin well known for having experience issues with travllers in the past ). At our residents meetings for the entire community the issue of rubbish being dumped on the road outside the travellers halting site was raised.
    The response from the travellers representative about the issue was ‘youse just don’t like travellers’ quickly followed by absolute shut down and refusal to discuss the matter. People’s hands are tied in situations like that.
    It’s impossible to make changes when one side will not acknowledge unacceptable behaviour but instead insists that they are being picked on for being a traveller. Surely it is the other way around. Travellers don’t like non travellers. That’s why they treat them with contempt and are backed up by the pseudo-intellectual-liberals who soft-voice their opinions on discrimination, exclusion and all that other nonsense.
    They (the travellers) and only they are the architects of this discrimination. Why not try assimilation for a change? That would require doing a day’s constructive work and meeting one’s social obligations. This is not in the curriculum of these card carrying members of the victim culture.
    It is my opinion that they should be referred to by nationality like everyone else and stop letting them use the tag traveller as an excuse to get away with things. Plus I don’t think traveller describes their lifestyle anymore (I went to primary & secondary school with travllers- none of them actually traveled in their caravans except for expensive family holidays to lourdes & Euro Disney in the summer when they’d use their bespoke vactation campervans instead) They are just accepted but there has come a time where they should be brought to book about how they live outside the system and yet still benefit from it.
    By being lenient with travellers, they have now become above the law. Would anyone here be able to park a caravan anywhere and leave litter where they like? The bottom line is that Travellers do this.
    I think Government policy should target the women mainly; education and housing and integration coupled with vigorous tax law enforcement and enforcement of law regarding schooling ((Most of the traveller kids I knew left school after their confirmation) is the only hope for positive change .Then their mortality rate and their infant mortality rate might start to fall but pussy footing around with their rights without responsibilities is doomed to fail.
    "Travellers don't like non-travellers."

I'm sure that is the case for some but it's not true for a lot of people. Go down to your local boxing club and look not only at the amount young travellers there but also at how enthusiastically their parents interact with the coaches and other parents.

Travellers are not only not afraid to interact with wider society, they relish it once a shared interest is involved.

But some people just like to ignore that reality and prefer to bang on about travellers being unreasonable and anti-social towards non-travellers.

"

But some people just like to ignore that reality and prefer to bang on about travellers being unreasonable and anti-social towards non-travellers.

What reality?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

most of these don't travel. How are they travellers, Is to travel not a fundamental requirement of being a traveller?

where's my free house and halting site? I think the government is being racist against me and my kind, will pavee point represent me?

If pp and gov are serious about tackling the issues with this group of people, how many prosecutions has there been for non attendence at school?

excuses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

"Travellers don't like non-travellers."

I'm sure that is the case for some but it's not true for a lot of people. Go down to your local boxing club and look not only at the amount young travellers there but also at how enthusiastically their parents interact with the coaches and other parents.

Travellers are not only not afraid to interact with wider society, they relish it once a shared interest is involved.

Good point about interaction but traveller business is traveller business and it wouldnt take long for the cultural difference term to appear if an outsider got involved

• Advertisement

And what if there was. People from the islands can be identified by their dna. People from the West of Ireland have Basque region dna from thousands of years ago.
    Well explain to me how you view them as an ethnic group then?,is it just because they like caravans or is it just a way of circumventing the rules of normal society but taking as much out of that society that they can.

Maybe the people of the West of Ireland should demand that the taxpayer give them an all expenses paid holiday to the Basque region so they can reassert their culture and ethnic identity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Well explain to me how you view them as an ethnic group then?,is it just because they like caravans or is it just a way of circumventing the rules of normal society but taking as much out of that society that they can.

Maybe the people of the West of Ireland should demand that the taxpayer give them an all expenses paid holiday to the Basque region so they can reassert their culture and ethnic identity.

I like caravans too :(

Boombastic wrote: »
    I like caravans too :(
    You get a free pass then.

Did RTE not run a program telling us how traveller DNA was uniquely irish? Whats this about basques?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The front page of the Sunday World doesn't do much for the pro-side this morning.

My policy is criticise people for what they do not what they are. Powers article would have been fine if she stuck to those involved in the problems but she didn't she applied it to all travellers that's where the problem with the article is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

Prejudice is part of everyone view imo and in relation to travellers its hard to avoid it given the experiences we've all had. But personal opinion in general conversation is one thing. Printing negative generalisations about an entire group in the media is another thing entirely. Its no surprise it was printed in the Daily Mail.

The funny thing is how people agree with such generalisations being printed when its in line with their own prejudices. Change travellers to anything else and people would be back to lambasting the Daily Mail for allowing "journalists" a platform to print prejudicial/xenophobic hate inciting tripe.

The fact the OP gave us a journal piece on the daily mail article as a source is plumbing the depths of lowbrow "journalism" too.

Prejudice is part of everyone view imo and in relation to travellers its hard to avoid it given the experiences we've all had. But personal opinion in general conversation is one thing. Printing negative generalisations about an entire group in the media is another thing entirely. Its no surprise it was printed in the Daily Mail.

The funny thing is how people agree with such generalisations being printed when its in line with their own prejudices. Change travellers to anything else and people would be back to lambasting the Daily Mail for allowing "journalists" a platform to print prejudicial/xenophobic hate inciting tripe.

The fact the OP gave us a journal piece on the daily mail article as a source is plumbing the depths of lowbrow "journalism" too.

Yes but OP used the piece in the context of a fear of publicity and with the lack of mainstream involvement its left to quack journalism to kick around

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Brenda should run for the European erections

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

I read it, it's very unsavoury to see a group of people being labelled because of the actions of a few. No more than I want to be labelled by foreigners as a drunk looking for a fight just because I'm Irish.
    It depends on numbers, proportion though. It's not just a few in this case, it's widespread, implicit to culture/tradition.
    It's something that should be broached with sensitivity, but there is nothing wrong with saying there are serious problems within traveller society, most of which hurt the people within the society itself; it's not just about how these problems affect settled society.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement