Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Product Recall - Remington 700 model rifles.

Options
  • 12-04-2014 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

http://xmprecall.remington.com/
    Remington Arms Company, LLC (“Remington”) is voluntarily recalling
    Remington Model 700™ and Model Seven™ rifles with X-Mark Pro® (“XMP®”) triggers,
    manufactured from May 1, 2006 to April 9, 2014.
    Remington has determined that some Model 700 and
    Model Seven rifles with XMP triggers could, under certain circumstances, unintentionally
    discharge. A Remington investigation has determined that some XMP triggers might have
    excess bonding agent used in the assembly process. While Remington has the utmost confidence
    in the design of the XMP trigger, it is undertaking this recall in the interest of consumer safety to
    remove any potential excess bonding agent applied in the assembly process

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Would be interesting to see what compensation they will pay, previous recall the refused to compensate shooters for the price they paid for their rifles.

The distributers here said it was up to the dealers to compensate for recalled rifles.

( see remington 597 17 hmr)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Looks like my remy is in the recall list, I gave my serial number on the website to check and it came back saying it needs to be recalled.

Will be interesting to see where it goes to from here, it's a us biased site so not sure where my rifle will end up travelling to to get it repaired.

They offer a 40% discount on the Rimington websites as compensation, but that also seems to be more us based, so will. Have to see what alternatives they can offer. Would love to get rid of my drop plate and replace with a mag.

By the way, thanks to boards and mods for this notification, I'm not sure I would have found out otherwise.

Looks like my remy is in the recall list, I gave my serial number on the website to check and it came back saying it needs to be recalled.

Will be interesting to see where it goes to from here, it's a us biased site so not sure where my rifle will end up travelling to to get it repaired.

They offer a 40% discount on the Rimington websites as compensation, but that also seems to be more us based, so will. Have to see what alternatives they can offer. Would love to get rid of my drop plate and replace with a mag.

Very different here, you have to get compensation off the dealer. so if you paid 1000 euro for your gun it is unlikely you will get that back.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

By the way, thanks to boards and mods for this notification, I'm not sure I would have found out otherwise.

Thanks to DMW22 for notifying us.

As for the recall i haven't checked mine yet, but as it's a trigger issue and i replaced the entire trigger unit with a Rifle Basix i'm guessing it'll not effect me anyway.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

Hmmmmmmmm. Not good news - the Remington is probably the most popular choice for a first centre-fire rifle here in UK - there are gazillions of them around.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭German pointer

Cass wrote: »
    Thanks to DMW22 for notifying us.

As for the recall i haven't checked mine yet, but as it's a trigger issue and i replaced the entire trigger unit with a Rifle Basix i'm guessing it'll not effect me anyway.

Likewise I have a rifel Basix in mine too so I assume I'm not affected either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Likewise I have a rifel Basix in mine too so I assume I'm not affected either

Too bad they wouldn't just pay a firm fixed price, like that of a Timney and let us sort ourselves out.

Well on that point i just checked mine and it's in those to be recalled. Thing is i ain't sending my rifle anywhere.

I replaced the trigger immediately after buying as i don't like Remmy triggers. I also changed the stock to the AICS. So to strip the rifle down of scope, stock, Rifle basix trigger, etc is simply not happening. I will make contact and ask can the trigger unit be sent back as it's sitting in a box the last couple of years sine i removed it. If they accept this i'll post here and let ye know.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭DMW22

My rifle is affected also but I have a Timney trigger in it since the day I bought it so my rifle won't be going anywhere.

How can a problem like this go on for so long before it was noticed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

They offer a 40% discount on the Rimington websites.

Doubt we get 40% off of a new firearm.
    I will make contact and ask can the trigger unit be sent back as it's sitting in a box the last couple of years sine i removed it. If they accept this i'll post here and let ye know.

My plan too.

If so, there will be plenty of "fixed" triggers for sale soon! I have a Timney in a 700 in the States and I am more worried about sending the rifle back and having it get damaged in the mail than any issue with the trigger.
    DMW22 wrote: »
    How can a problem like this go on for so long before it was noticed?

Lawyers.

E-mail sent, receipt of e-mail response received and awaiting a full response. Will post the answer if and when i get it regarding sending only the trigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Snakezilla

Just checked the site and mine is recalled too :mad:

If I bring it to my local gunsmith can he give it the once over to make sure everythings ok or is he not allowed touch it? Theres no way I can send it away? We are expecting over 400 lambs in the next 2 weeks !!!!!! I need it at hand !

Just checked mine I'm not on the recall list. Best of luck to the lads on the list

Snakezilla wrote: »
    If I bring it to my local gunsmith can he give it the once over to make sure everythings ok or is he not allowed touch it?

I've been thinking about this since yesterday. There are a number of ways Remington could deal with this for countries such as Ireland where sending a rifle is not an easy task (requiring import/export licenses, then waiting months to have it returned)
    1. One way was to nominate a gunsmith or two and have them carry out the work.
    2. They could send out new triggers to gun smiths to have them completely replaced with the nominated persons collecting the old ones and sending them back to Remmie.
    3. Have gun dealers give out triggers and receipts to say they have collected the old one and given out a new one.
    4. They could send out money off vouchers and do a deal with people for Timney/Rifle Basix/Jewel trigger replacements.

The problem with all the above is liability. Coming from a "lawsuit keen" nation they have probably thought of all these and decided that if they or their gun smiths are not the ones to rplace/repair then if anything goes wrong with someone else they are still liable. IOW other than imcompetent repairs done by people outside the Remington group they must also consider the money hungry people that would abuse any other system for monetary gain.

I think sending the entire trigger bak might be the only way to avoid sending the rifle back. For those that have traded their triggers this is not an issue. For those that have not it might still be the best way rather than send the entire rifle. Then they can decide whether to buy a replacement trigger or wait for the return of their own one.

Good post, Cass.

This morning I counted seven Remington rifles on our range, only one of which had an after-market trigger. They ALL fitted inside the serials - and so did our three club guns, too.

Bear in mind that that was only the Sunday bunch of shooters - 35 or so. There ARE over 300 other members in our club. I've emole the CS and asked her to post a general warning note to all members.

It will be interesting to see what the importers here have to say about it.

Question - do your Remington products come direct from the USA, or via a mainland European dealership?

tac

My current rifle came directly from the US. As for the "normal" route, well i'm honestly not sure.

For one of the most popular gun makes i honestly don't know who imports them. I presume they come via GMK from the UK, but that is a stab in the dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭zeissman

My rifle is also on the recall list but I changed the trigger to a rifle basix so Im ok.
    I think gowan and bradshaw are the remington importers for Ireland.
    Edgar Bros were the importers for the UK but recently lost the dealership so that might cause a few problems also.

Well, I've emole Remingto in the USA and Edgar Bros here in UK -who are still claiming to be the importers [we'll see on that] - as to their intentions vis-á-vis the hundreds of thousands of Remington rifle shooters affected by this recall who do NOT live in the USA.

I'll post the replies - if any emerge.

tac

EDIT - Zeissman, you are right - EB are nol longer the importers- instead, it is the elusive FMK UK, actually part of Remington, and has been for the last 6 -8 months.

No response on my end yet. Will give it another day or two then send off another one.

• Advertisement

I have no doubt that there are many hundreds, if not into four figures, of this most popular make of rifle on the island of Ireland.

A positive response is certainly required.

tac

Most likely.

For rimfire i'd say the CZ, but for CF i'd say the Remmie is probably the most popular.

In my opinion the request about the trigger should not be viewed by Remmie as "trivial". Whether it's a couple of hundred or a few thousand i'd say less than 25% would be willing, let alone actually would send the rifle. With the export license, the waiting, then the import, etc. Most lads will either go for a new trigger or risk it. I realise Remmie are probably dealing with this issue so e-mails are not top of their list, but still.

And that is assuming everyone knows. Even with Boards, Facebook, etc, etc. there are lads that are still unaware of this recall.

And that is assuming everyone knows. Even with Boards, Facebook, etc, etc. there are lads that are still unaware of this recall.

'strue. I heard about it first right here.

And I'm on eleven fora here and in USA/Canada.

tac

No response on my end yet. Will give it another day or two then send off another one.

I emailed Remington in Jan on a different issue and it took them several days to respond I can imagine that with the amount of people contacting them now they will be much slower in their responses

I rang my rfd (my remy 243 is on the recall list) and asked him if he was aware or knew how they would be handled. He didn't even know about the recall, said he'd check it out and get back to me.

Just got this:
    Thank you for contacting Remington Arms! To further assist you, please contact the following distributors:

GOWEN & BRADSHAW LTD. (including Marlin)
    Unit 9, Doughiska Road
    Merlin Park, Galway, Ireland

Email: toby@gowbrad.ie
    Telephone: 011-353-91-755818
    Fax: 011-353-91-755804
    USA:
    Telephone: 610-544-3700
    Fax: 610-328-6820
    Mobile: 610-888-1999

ALANNADALE PROPERTIES (H&R only)
    Ardee Sports
    Pepperstown, Ardee Co.
    Louth, Ireland

Email: db@ardeesports.com
    Telephone: 011-353-41-6853711
    Fax: 011-353-41-6856072

Thank you and best regards,
    Remington Customer Services

So i'll make some calls tomorrow and see what else i can find out.

Would not hold out much hope when dealing with them I found them very unhelpful when my remington was recalled, they told me to go to my dealer to get my money back.

I'm a little disappointed but not surprised.

They will inform distributors/importers of specifics and direct every other inquiry to them. It's a CYA measure. Still, worth a call. I'll post more as i get it.

Cass - please read your PMs.

tac

• Advertisement

Right lads.

So far i've gotten the usual "please contact someone else responses" however tac foley has gotten a little further with some good info from RifleCraft in the UK.

Now they are dealing only with the UK. Northern Ireland,and ROI contact your dealer directly.

People will be named in each area to carry out the work. If your dealer has not heard of it or is not sure have your deal ONLY contact RifleCraft in the UK.

They did manage to give some more details about what guns are affected and what procedures to follow. Also what is "void" due to aftermarket triggers being installed. They are:
    1. In the first instance, talk to the supplying RFD in the case of a new purchase. RifleCraft are expecting to be swamped if they are called directly. Replacement trigger units are on their way as I write this.

2. If bought s/h, then talk to your Remington dealer.

3. DO NOT DISMANTLE THE RIFLE IN ANY WAY! The ENTIRE gun is required for remedial work to be carried out. Obviously, if the owner has meanwhile replaced the trigger with an a/m unit, the deal is off.

4. This remedial work is also provided for customers in Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland - as mentioned above, via dealers.

They also made a note that not all triggers will be affected even if your serial number indicates that it may fall into the affected category. The thing to look for is:
    If your trigger is ribbed then it is not an XMP trigger.

If it is smooth then it may be affected.

So in short lads, contact your RFD if your gun falls into both categories:
    1. Serial number match
    2. Smooth trigger

If you have an aftermarket trigger then "tough" i think is the answer, and if you are not prepared to send the entire rifle to whatever destination them name then nothing else will suffice. IOW my idea of sending the trigger only is a no-go.

In finishing lads, CONTACT YOUR FIREARMS DEALER WHERE THE RIFLE WAS BOUGHT.

More information on Riflecraft's Facebook page.

Advertisement