Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Detailing chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I normally use a bit of heat for double sided tape

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

HG Sticker remover is my go-to product for removing adhesive and its residue.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭theintern

conor-w wrote: »
    Thanks for the response, I've read a few places that you shouldn't use it on headlights as it can damage them. Were you using it on headlights specifically?

Ah, very possible, no I just meant in general. I've never had to use it on headlights. Don't do it so!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭micks_address

hi folks,

new car detailing questions. I priced and for a professional job its out of my budget at the moment.

If i was to do something myself - wash/wax etc..

What would recommended wax products? I've tried colinite and Bilt hamber speedwx before. Full leather on the inside. Thinking a good wipe with dr leather wipes or maybe a treatment with a different product?

Cheers,
    Mick

Was quoted 800 for a ceramic coat and interior protection.. breaks down as 550 plus 250. Hard to justify on a brand new car. I was hoping to get a ceramic coat for around 250 but that seems unrealistic?
    hi folks,

new car detailing questions. I priced and for a professional job its out of my budget at the moment.

If i was to do something myself - wash/wax etc..

What would recommended wax products? I've tried colinite and Bilt hamber speedwx before. Full leather on the inside. Thinking a good wipe with dr leather wipes or maybe a treatment with a different product?

Cheers,
    Mick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Was quoted 800 for a ceramic coat and interior protection.. breaks down as 550 plus 250. Hard to justify on a brand new car. I was hoping to get a ceramic coat for around 250 but that seems unrealistic?

Why not do it yourself?

I bought the stuff and gave it a lash....nothing to lose. Just followed the instruction....I thought I made a balls of it but it worked. Need to redo now as you would notice it has wore off,......

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Why not do it yourself?

I bought the stuff and gave it a lash....nothing to lose. Just followed the instruction....I thought I made a balls of it but it worked. Need to redo now as you would notice it has wore off,......
    Haven't done ceramic coating but have done clay bar, waxing etc.. probably just go with that..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Haven't done ceramic coating but have done clay bar, waxing etc.. probably just go with that..

Ceramic coating itself is easy enough.
    BUT
    If you do not prep ( Machine polish any defects out ) the car properly first, then you are basically locking in the defects.

I went a different route this time and so far I am very happy with it,

Prep the car as per usual,
    Give it a wipedown of something like carpro erasor or similar.
    One coat of Sonax PNS
    topped with one mist of Sonax BSD

Then a light mist of BSD every other wash.

Gyeon Can Coat would be a good alternative if you didn't want to go down the route of a proper ceramic coating

Thanks I'll check it out. Is the sonax pns a must application? I'll YouTube
    vectra wrote: »
    Ceramic coating itself is easy enough.
    BUT
    If you do not prep ( Machine polish any defects out ) the car properly first, then you are basically locking in the defects.

I went a different route this time and so far I am very happy with it,

Prep the car as per usual,
    Give it a wipedown of something like carpro erasor or similar.
    One coat of Sonax PNS
    topped with one mist of Sonax BSD

Then a light mist of BSD every other wash.

• Advertisement

Gtechniq are bringing out a new product called EasyCoat which is a lot easier a job as opposed to applying their regular ceramic coatings.

Thanks I'll check it out. Is the sonax pns a must application? I'll YouTube

Not absolute, but it is a brilliant base coat as it offers up to 6 months protection, which I am inclined to believe judging by how it is holding up on my car.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭doh1988

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Gyeon Can Coat would be a good alternative if you didn't want to go down the route of a proper ceramic coating

This!

Also - Carpro have brought out their own "Lite" version. Meguairs have an easy to apply ceramic coating coming out in 2020 i believe.

Not absolute, but it is a brilliant base coat as it offers up to 6 months protection, which I am inclined to believe judging by how it is holding up on my car.

Sorry I meant mist application..damn typing.. I see you spray it on applicator pad and then apply to car..did you bother with the sonax sponge? Or just standard applicator pads.. did you use the bsd after the first coat or at next washes

Sorry I meant mist application..damn typing.. I see you spray it on applicator pad and then apply to car..did you bother with the sonax sponge? Or just standard applicator pads.. did you use the bsd after the first coat or at next washes

Yes,
    Apply to pad and spread 2'x2' area approximately, Word of warning, It is a grabby product so hold on to your applicator or it will land on the ground.

Once I had my car coated I went over it with a light mist application of BSD which is much easier to remove.

If you are going to use these products, Look out for the discounts on carparts4less or eurocarparts.

I also tried a bottle of sonax interior cleaner and find it excellent as well.

Thanks I've tried the sonax interior cleaner before and it's good
    Yes,
    Apply to pad and spread 2'x2' area approximately, Word of warning, It is a grabby product so hold on to your applicator or it will land on the ground.

Once I had my car coated I went over it with a light mist application of BSD which is much easier to remove.

If you are going to use these products, Look out for the discounts on carparts4less or eurocarparts.

I also tried a bottle of sonax interior cleaner and find it excellent as well.

Gtechniq are bringing out a new product called EasyCoat which is a lot easier a job as opposed to applying their regular ceramic coatings.

Is it something along the lines of gyeon wet coat ?

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Is it something along the lines of gyeon wet coat ?

No, I don't think so given the differences in application. I've only seen pictures of the bottle and there's not much info out there about it. All I know is that they say it's an easier way to ceramic coat your car. From the looks of it though it's not a ceramic coating in the true sense because it attaches to the end of a hose.

Here's some info on it

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭winter2019

No, I don't think so given the differences in application. I've only seen pictures of the bottle and there's not much info out there about it. All I know is that they say it's an easier way to ceramic coat your car. From the looks of it though it's not a ceramic coating in the true sense because it attaches to the end of a hose.

Here's some info on it

Sounds more like a si o2 based coating, according to that link it only offers in excess of 3 months protection.

winter2019 wrote: »
    Sounds more like a si o2 based coating, according to that link it only offers in excess of 3 months protection.

Yep. It's supposed to be as easy as it should be. Spray it on the car and rinse off with no residue whatsoever left behind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

EasyCoat is Gtechniq's move into the spray on/rinse off sealant type product. I wouldn't be using it as a stand alone on a new car you want to add some protection to. Better off using their C2v3 (Liquid Crystal) as a very easy to apply sealant with very good durability for the effort needed, gloss and hydrophobic properties. Using a spray on/rinse off product every month or so can increase durability of the base sealant.
    Gyeon CanCoat is a fantastic product but you do need to be a bit more care of application, more so when removing it. Be in a well lit area or you may leave some streaking or high spots which will need some light abrasion to remove. Their is also products like TAC System Moonlight which is a great SiO2 based sealant/lightweight coating. The Polish Angel range of products is superb too, albeit on the slightly more expensive side but the ease of application and results are great.

Regarding the earlier post about the getting a new car protected with a ceramic coating, that is actually a fair price if there is machine polishing to rectify any factory/tansportation/dealership inflictions prior to coating it. I'll be biased, as this is my profession, but "pay peanuts, get monkey's". There is a misconception in this country that this type of work only takes a few hours to perform. I've often had to spend 3+ days making a "new car" look like a new car should before applying a coating to keep it looking great(and believe me, EVERY new car i have ever inspected needed at least some form of machine polishing). You get a painter, plumber, electrician or anyone that does a job to a professional standard spend days working on a job and they won't be cheap! I'm sure plenty of people have paid professional service providers €40 to €70 for just an hours work! You take someone spending 30+ hours on a car and suddenly that €800/€900 is actually cheap, especially when including the cost of high quality products and tools used, not to mention over heads such as rent, rates, insurance, VAT, etc.

Yeah I'm not disputing the value but I just can't justify paying 800 euro on a 40k vw..that I'll be handing back in 3 years.. better to spend 100 on product myself and do a reasonable job.. I have a powerwasher and Lance and have done two bucket washes claying and waxing etc.. it won't be anything like the 800 job but be good for my budget..

EasyCoat is Gtechniq's move into the spray on/rinse off sealant type product. I wouldn't be using it as a stand alone on a new car you want to add some protection to. Better off using their C2v3 (Liquid Crystal) as a very easy to apply sealant with very good durability for the effort needed, gloss and hydrophobic properties. Using a spray on/rinse off product every month or so can increase durability of the base sealant.
    Gyeon CanCoat is a fantastic product but you do need to be a bit more care of application, more so when removing it. Be in a well lit area or you may leave some streaking or high spots which will need some light abrasion to remove. Their is also products like TAC System Moonlight which is a great SiO2 based sealant/lightweight coating. The Polish Angel range of products is superb too, albeit on the slightly more expensive side but the ease of application and results are great.

Regarding the earlier post about the getting a new car protected with a ceramic coating, that is actually a fair price if there is machine polishing to rectify any factory/tansportation/dealership inflictions prior to coating it. I'll be biased, as this is my profession, but "pay peanuts, get monkey's". There is a misconception in this country that this type of work only takes a few hours to perform. I've often had to spend 3+ days making a "new car" look like a new car should before applying a coating to keep it looking great(and believe me, EVERY new car i have ever inspected needed at least some form of machine polishing). You get a painter, plumber, electrician or anyone that does a job to a professional standard spend days working on a job and they won't be cheap! I'm sure plenty of people have paid professional service providers €40 to €70 for just an hours work! You take someone spending 30+ hours on a car and suddenly that €800/€900 is actually cheap, especially when including the cost of high quality products and tools used, not to mention over heads such as rent, rates, insurance, VAT, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

Yeah I'm not disputing the value but I just can't justify paying 800 euro on a 40k vw..that I'll be handing back in 3 years.. better to spend 100 on product myself and do a reasonable job.. I have a powerwasher and Lance and have done two bucket washes claying and waxing etc.. it won't be anything like the 800 job but be good for my budget..

Sorry, wasn't meant to be a direct response to you, more for others that would look at the thread and think that they'd do as good a job themselves for a fraction of the cost.

Regarding a coating job, the fact is they are only partly as good as they are maintained anyhow. A coated car that visits a drive through car was each week won't be looking as well 6 months down the line!!!

No worries. To be honest I'd love to get the professional job done just can't justify. If it was a luxury car I intended on keeping I probably would.
    Sorry, wasn't meant to be a direct response to you, more for others that would look at the thread and think that they'd do as good a job themselves for a fraction of the cost.

Regarding a coating job, the fact is they are only partly as good as they are maintained anyhow. A coated car that visits a drive through car was each week won't be looking as well 6 months down the line!!!

No worries. To be honest I'd love to get the professional job done just can't justify. If it was a luxury car I intended on keeping I probably would.

Would you consider buying a DAS6 pro polisher?
    Really worth it to give it a freshen up every 6 months or so.

Would you consider buying a DAS6 pro polisher?
    Really worth it to give it a freshen up every 6 months or so.

Maybe in time. Would you need it on a new car?

Maybe in time. Would you need it on a new car?

Not unless you were OCD about the finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Done my first 2BW last week on the new car, I purchased a Autoglym kit in Halfords and a couple of bits.
    I was happy with my first bit, considering the rinse was just with a normal hose which was very weak. Theres loads in the kit but I'm 'afraid' of using some of them :o

Rinse
    2BW with Auto Glym Bodywork Shampoo (Halfords wash mitt used, no grit guard in buckets yet)
    Towel Dry
    Wheels cleaned with Auto Glym Clean Wheels and Tyre's dressed with Auto Glym Instant Tyre Dressing, used a microfibre for the wheels.

Didn't do any door shuts or anything, it was getting dark fast.

This weekend I plan on using the powerhose for the rinse, 2BW, towel dry, then do the wheels. I got a tyre brush to get a better stab at the wheels. Use fast glass on the windows.

The kit includes Super Resin Polish, am I better off staying away for a while until I am slightly 'better' at washing?

I also noticed the car has a good bit of tar on it, never even knew there was such thing until I came on here. Heading to Reflect on Saturday to get a bottle of their Tar + Glue remover. Is this applied after wash + dry and simply wiped down with a microfibre cloth?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Done my first 2BW last week on the new car, I purchased a Autoglym kit in Halfords and a couple of bits.
    I was happy with my first bit, considering the rinse was just with a normal hose which was very weak. Theres loads in the kit but I'm 'afraid' of using some of them :o

Rinse
    2BW with Auto Glym Bodywork Shampoo (Halfords wash mitt used, no grit guard in buckets yet)
    Towel Dry
    Wheels cleaned with Auto Glym Clean Wheels and Tyre's dressed with Auto Glym Instant Tyre Dressing, used a microfibre for the wheels.

Didn't do any door shuts or anything, it was getting dark fast.

This weekend I plan on using the powerhose for the rinse, 2BW, towel dry, then do the wheels. I got a tyre brush to get a better stab at the wheels. Use fast glass on the windows.

The kit includes Super Resin Polish, am I better off staying away for a while until I am slightly 'better' at washing?

I also noticed the car has a good bit of tar on it, never even knew there was such thing until I came on here. Heading to Reflect on Saturday to get a bottle of their Tar + Glue remover. Is this applied after wash + dry and simply wiped down with a microfibre cloth?

For tar remover you want a product you spray on and rinse off(jet wash off)

Do not run or wipe off as this will destroy your paint.

Tar X is what I've used and you can see the tar actually run off the surface.

I usually snow foam, jet wash all around and under, tar remover and apply a second or third time if needed but do not let it dry or linger on plastics, rinse, wash 2bm, clay, wash also don't forget you can use all purpose cleaner to help remove the stubborn bits and oils etc after a clay. Wash again and add you wax or protection etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭cena

For tar remover you want a product you spray on and rinse off(jet wash off)

Do not run or wipe off as this will destroy your paint.

Tar X is what I've used and you can see the tar actually run off the surface.

I usually snow foam, jet wash all around and under, tar remover and apply a second or third time if needed but do not let it dry or linger on plastics, rinse, wash 2bm, clay, wash also don't forget you can use all purpose cleaner to help remove the stubborn bits and oils etc after a clay. Wash again and add you wax or protection etc.

What about removing the iron dust from the body of the car

Advertisement