Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi €10 voucher

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

clairek6 wrote: »
    Can these vouchers still be used in tesco to buy phone credit?

Depends on who you get at the till- they are not supposed to be accepted (they're specifically excluded- as are gift vouchers, lottery tickets, baby formula, petrol/diesel etc etc).

Often the person at the till doesn't give two hoots (doesn't care- or doesn't know how its supposed to work)- and accepts the voucher. They're not supposed to though.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭crayon80

Depends on who you get at the till- they are not supposed to be accepted (they're specifically excluded- as are gift vouchers, lottery tickets, baby formula, petrol/diesel etc etc)..

Does it say this on them? Since you can't buy most of those things in aldi?

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭clairek6

Is it just my eyes but I see no mention of phone credit on this.. Voucher I got yesterday for €8 off €50

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭crayon80

I'd read that as you should be fine once you don't buy it at the customer service desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,900 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Depends on who you get at the till- they are not supposed to be accepted (they're specifically excluded- as are gift vouchers, lottery tickets, baby formula, petrol/diesel etc etc).

Often the person at the till doesn't give two hoots (doesn't care- or doesn't know how its supposed to work)- and accepts the voucher. They're not supposed to though.
    Im puzzled as I have seen this posted a lot of times here in this thread and in other similar threads. How or why would Tesco accept vouchers that are clearly marked/printed for use in Aldi?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

muffler wrote: »
    Im puzzled as I have seen this posted a lot of times here in this thread and in other similar threads. How or why would Tesco accept vouchers that are clearly marked/printed for use in Aldi?

Tesco have been accepting vouchers from ANY of the other stores for months. Reeks of desperation in my opinion! A friend told me the other day that Dunnes are accepting them now as well but I'm not sure because I haven't seen any advertising for it yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

It's a marketing tactic, well known in the US & UK

• Registered Users Posts: 45,900 ✭✭✭✭muffler

But who or where do the likes of Dunnes or Tesco claim back any credit or is it just as you say a marketing ploy to get you into the store and spend at least €50?

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭chris1970

But who or where do the likes of Dunnes or Tesco claim back any credit or is it just as you say a marketing ploy to get you into the store and spend at least €50?

Look 30 to 50 percent markup on most products, minus 20 per cent still leaves 10 to 30 percent profit, half a loaf is better then no bread ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Itsabrack

and they don't have to go to all the bother of marketing the voucher

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Harold Finchs Machine

Dunness are accepting "others" vouchers. They have ads on the TV or Radio saying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

150 euro, wonder could i use that and the 10 euro aldi voucher together, would be great for buying the christmas wine/beer

Just do 2 shops or stop and pay with the aldi when it gets to 50 in Tesco.
    The use the other voucher for the rest.

chris1970 wrote: »
    Look 30 to 50 percent markup on most products, minus 20 per cent still leaves 10 to 30 percent profit, half a loaf is better then no bread ;)

Actual markup is more in the 8-9% range (RGDATA do a quarterly breakdown). Tesco have been loosing money hand-over-foot in Ireland as a result of the couponing campaign (this was one of the reasons given for their poor international performance- Ireland was once called 'Treasure Island'- no more.......)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,069 ✭✭✭✭L1011

RGDATA would not be entirely trustable for margin figures as its their job to make it look as tight as possible

There was a suggestion that, based on the way the Irish figures were hidden in Aldi UK's figures, that they - as a discounter - were making 20% margin. Obviously there's certain products that's not even possible on (their own-brand spirits can be close to the duty and VAT alone).

I've a 7 off 30 Supervalu voucher here they should accept - its for Lucan but that's traditionally the "local" Superquinn for the town so lots shopped ther e- and 30 in vouchers from doing market research. Time for a free bottle of Scotch I think :D

L1011 wrote: »
    RGDATA would not be entirely trustable for margin figures as its their job to make it look as tight as possible

There was a suggestion that, based on the way the Irish figures were hidden in Aldi UK's figures, that they - as a discounter - were making 20% margin. Obviously there's certain products that's not even possible on (their own-brand spirits can be close to the duty and VAT alone).

I've a 7 off 30 Supervalu voucher here they should accept - its for Lucan but that's traditionally the "local" Superquinn for the town so lots shopped ther e- and 30 in vouchers from doing market research. Time for a free bottle of Scotch I think :D

If you're looking for a nice bottle of whiskey- the Aldi Dublin blend has been winning awards all over the place- personally I think its a bit too smooth- but its definitely drinkable (though not the cheapest).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Are any of the Sundays carrying Lidl vouchers/coupons?

If you're looking for a nice bottle of whiskey- the Aldi Dublin blend has been winning awards all over the place- personally I think its a bit too smooth- but its definitely drinkable (though not the cheapest).

I'm not a fan of Cooley products; I'd take a stab in the dark that it's very similar to Tyrconnell which I'll drink but not at its normal price. For €19 I might though.

The Aldi Highland Black has a permanent place in the cabinet here - its allegedly a Glenmorangie product and is definitely worth the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭SMI

Ok- now to figure how to get 3-4 vouchers without shelling out for 3-4 copies of the Sindo........

Picked it up for the voucher, only took one page turn of the first section I picked up to realise what junk it was. Bizarrely bad in places, weird low-brow stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

Actual markup is more in the 8-9% range (RGDATA do a quarterly breakdown). Tesco have been loosing money hand-over-foot in Ireland as a result of the couponing campaign (this was one of the reasons given for their poor international performance- Ireland was once called 'Treasure Island'- no more.......)

l find 8-9% very hard to believe for Tesco. One example off the top of my head, 1 litre fresh orange juice in Aldi is €2.50, lovely product. Same product in Tesco, different brand, is €3.50. So unless Tesco are getting ripped off by their suppliers ( no l'm guessing ) and assuming Aldi are making 5%, then that gives Tesco a mark-up of approx. 47 % !!!

Tesco are unbelievably expensive, the price of fresh fish in there is gone mad altogether. I was in a Ballycotton fish shop a few weeks back and it was way cheaper.

Their yogurts are a crazy price also.

I'd also love to know their mark-up on crisps and wine.

I was in Barca city centre about 5 Years ago and bought a bottle of wine for €1.10. I know the Govt have loaded the taxes on but l'd say the mark-ups are unreal.

....and you'd want to be Columbo to work out their special offers. In Aldi if it's says 10% it means 10% off. In Tesco if it says 10% off you have to figure out which shelve they're talking about and then is the size they're referring to still in stock ( often the special offer product is sold but the signage is still there with nappies etc. ).

Sorry about the rant but 8/9% my arse for Tesco. Stop ripping us off and taking us for mugs would be my message to them. Anyway l'm sure they're getting the message load and clear now which appears to be the only way they like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭itsallok

clerk wrote: »

Tesco are unbelievably expensive, the price of fresh fish in there is gone mad altogether.
    Their yogurts are a crazy price also.

....and you'd want to be Columbo to work out their special offers.

Just taking these couple of points from you, you've hit the nail on the head with Tesco.

Tesco have a formula in Ireland that is creaking. They have got into a cycle of overpricing goods just so they can mark down at a later point.

Yet, they can't just discard it overnight in order to compete, as their profits would crumble more than they already have to date. Too risky and despite everything happening Tesco at the moment, there are core Irish customers that will not shop anywhere else. Tesco know it... the overpricing will continue...

• Advertisement

I think a lot of Tesco's core shoppers- are moving over the Dunnes.
    Dunnes are gone up-market, have a look at all the Waitrose products in their freezer sections!
    Tesco is kind-of superfluous to needs now- it has tried to appeal to everyone- and now aside from those who couldn't be bothered shopping elsewhere- it appeals to no-one.

Tesco's main appeal to me was the 24h opening - I frequently did a "big shop" at about 1am. That's now gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭irishproduce

I think a lot of Tesco's core shoppers- are moving over the Dunnes.
    Dunnes are gone up-market, have a look at all the Waitrose products in their freezer sections!
    Tesco is kind-of superfluous to needs now- it has tried to appeal to everyone- and now aside from those who couldn't be bothered shopping elsewhere- it appeals to no-one.

Are they marked as waitrose in the store or are they waitrose "type" products you are speaking about?

Are they marked as waitrose in the store or are they waitrose "type" products you are speaking about?

They're actually waitrose........
    Its quite remarkable.
    Some of them are the test products that Superquinn had before Musgraves bought them out.
    Its only frozen goods though- none of the nice yummy fresh Waitrose ready meals (yet anyway). I know I'd happily pay a premium for them......

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Kerry Gooner

Grocery industry is low margin, high volumn and competition is so intense right now that they are trying to buy market share with all this couponing going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Any Aldi or Lidl 10 off 50 due next Sunday does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭dm1979

aldi 10 euro voucher in the sindo this weekend, sorry dont know about lidl

Was in Tesco Wex at weekend and in among my receipts when I went to check was a Tesco 8€ off €50 spend valid until 16th Nov.

Anyone else get one of these ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

vicwatson wrote: »
    Was in Tesco Wex at weekend and in among my receipts when I went to check was a Tesco 8€ off €50 spend valid until 16th Nov.
    Anyone else get one of these ?
    An earlier poster stated so.

• Advertisement

snubbleste wrote: »
    An earlier poster stated so.

How early a post? and besides I probably should have said but I wasn't talking to you ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement