Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ceiliúradh

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

RayM wrote: »
    Had it been in Ireland, the show would have been hosted by Brian Ormond or Daithí Ó Sé. In addition to Mrs Brown, we would have been treated to Jedward, Mary Byrne, Crystal Swing and someone from Boyzone and Westlife.

Shane Filan...since RTE seem to have him on every bl**dy programme lately. It's almost like we ( taxpayers) owe him something :rolleyes:
    Surprised he didn't turn up tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Lawless Liam

LynnGrace wrote: »
    Shane Filan...since RTE seem to have him on every bl**dy programme lately. It's almost like we ( taxpayers) owe him something :rolleyes:
    Surprised he didn't turn up tonight.

I think licence fee payers should demand an RTE NAMA channel so that the likes of Shane can be rolled out to the general public 24 hours a day.
    You could have all kinds of regular daily shows like question time presented by m finngelton and a keeaarns.
    And so on..
    What else might feature on such a channel.?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

jimd2 wrote: »
    I really enjoyed the show. The Old Triangle finished it off brilliantly at the end.

However, I was wondering why Bono did not make an appearance, would have liked to see a solo from him as he represents an Irish demographic not really represented in the show.

Just finished watching the show. Really enjoyed most of it.

Highlights for me were Eimear Quinn's hauntingly beautiful singing and the musical
    renditions of Thomas Moore's songs, especially The Minstrel Boy. :)

Loved Sabina's outfit! She was having a ball there tonight. :)

Saw Enda and Fionnuala a few times. They did not look too happy. Don't think they
    were too impressed by Dermot O'Leary.

He could have done more homework on his Irish pronunciations!! Mind you, some of his English ones were not too good either! 'Mr. Present??!!!!' :(

Also thought it was remiss of him not to include Sabina in his original welcome, as he did mention their highnesses. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

It was an excellent show.

About time the Irish in Britain was celebrated like this. For so many years those who have built Britain, served in the forces, worked in the factories and also kept this country going sending money home in those very dark days.

Britain helped the Irish by taking the unemployed and those who seeked employment. Yes, Britain got the taxes.

Also the Irish who died in the Armed Forces have now been remember properly.

Those who have died and forgotten have died twice.

Many Irish who returned after the wars, could never admit they have served before the colours.

Even now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Expunge

It was like the Plastic Paddy Proms from the Albert Hall last night.

Old, hairy men bawled at us for much of the night.

There was little light and shade in the thing, in my view.

With the exception of the very nice work done on The Minstrel Boy for string quartet, military bands and pipes, all we seemed to have was folks battering away on guitars, mandolins and bouzoukis.

All that was missing from the stage of the Royal Albert Hall last night was a bar, some tables with creamy pints on them and a covered in smoking area.

I didn't see any credits for the show, but I'm guessing this is Philip King's vision of what an Irish musical celebration is, endorsed by the current President's Wesht of Aarland arts crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Expunge wrote: »
    I didn't see any credits for the show, but I'm guessing this is Philip King's vision of what an Irish musical celebration is, endorsed by the current President's Wesht of Aarland arts crowd.

There was a very long list of credits rolling across the TV screen at the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Expunge wrote: »

With the exception of the very nice work done on The Minstrel Boy for string quartet, military bands and pipes, all we seemed to have was folks battering away on guitars, mandolins and bouzoukis.

All that was missing from the stage of the Royal Albert Hall last night was a bar, some tables with creamy pints on them and a covered in smoking area.

They should have parachuted Michael D on to the stage for effect. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Expunge

Aerohead wrote: »
    There was a very long list of credits rolling across the TV screen at the end

Yeah. What I mean is I didn't get the opportunity to see them.

men'unge wrote: »

There were far too many 'old, hairy men'. 'The Auld Triangle' was cringe worthy!! :(

On the other hand, Imelda's 'Kentish Town Waltz' gets to me every time. Comes from her soul. I love the way she glances over at her husband towards the end of it. Lucky
    Imelda!! He was the best looking man there last night!! An absolute 'ride'!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Happyman42 wrote: »

First immediate thought when reading that....

Now if Mike Tindall had been invited....

:eek::eek::eek:

***runs for cover from impending wrath***....:o

• Advertisement

Happyman42 wrote: »

Where is Danny Boyle when you need him??? :)

brooke 2 wrote: »

Also thought it was remiss of him not to include Sabina in his original welcome, as he did mention their highnesses. :(

Yes, I thought that was bad manners.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

I noticed that as well.

Do they not have their speech's checked for Protocol error's?...

I know I slag Michael D but he has been a credit to the Country so far in his Presidency...:)

He struck me as being very badly prepared. His diction was not the best either.
    I had to rewind to check if he had really said 'present' for 'president'. He had!! :(

I noticed that as well.

Do they not have their speech's checked for Protocol error's?...

I know I slag Michael D but he has been a credit to the Country so far in his Presidency...:)

Michael D has not put a foot wrong. And Sabina looks wonderful! Her outfit at the Royal Albert Hall
    was stunning. She does seem to be having a ball!!

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

i would imagine there was a lot more songs sung before "last orders " last night as a lot of them musicians looked like they were fond of a pint or two !

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭NormanNicetouch

vicwatson wrote: »
    O'Leary says "We can't afford it" - there is not one person in TRAH tonight that belongs in that category of "we"

The RTE love-in continues

Dobson will be out next.

Playing the violin he used in the Bertie interview.

Did anyone else think Dermot O'Leary had perhaps partaken of a bit too much
    Irish hospitality before he came on? He seemed to be struggling a bit to get his words out correctly and in the right order.

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Michael D has not put a foot wrong. And Sabina looks wonderful! Her outfit at the Royal Albert Hall
    was stunning. She does seem to be having a ball!!

Sabina's style was great, she carries herself very well also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

It's not even fair criticism a lot of this. It's just plian old caustic Irish cynical begrudgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭NormanNicetouch

david75 wrote: »
    It's not even fair criticism a lot of this. It's just plian old caustic Irish cynical begrudgery.

Exactly. It's a celebration of Irish culture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Absolutely loved this last night, can be summed up in four words for me.....I Love Lisa Hannigan

JM Skipton wrote: »
    Absolutely loved this last night, can be summed up in four words for me.....I Love Lisa Hannigan

Yes, she has a lovely voice. Emer Quinn and Imelda May were also brilliant!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

jescart wrote: »
    Lisa Hannigan needs more screen time. She is jaw droppingly beautiful.

I have recurring dreams involving Lisa, Cathy Davy and Gemma Hayes and a bath of custard

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

On BBC4 now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

vicwatson wrote: »
    Overrated Imelda May Overrated

Only got around to seeing this concert now and it was much better than I expected. The complete absence of Westlife/Louis Walsh/Nicky Byrne certainly was in its favour! So was the absence of 'boyfolk' acts like Mike Denver. On the downside, there was no sign of Jedward who would provide a bit of craic.

I think Imelda May is a good performer and is one of our better acts at present. I would not call her overrated but she is overhyped (that is, being overpromoted everywhere) which is a scary thing as the next stage after being overhyped is being completely ignored. Ask Jedward all about this or Carrie Crowley.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

david75 wrote: »

I didn't really enjoy it at all - mainly because every song seemed to have the same slow tempo. For a long concert like that they should have mixed up the style and pace a bit more.

It wasn't really a reflection on popular or contemporary Irish music. There were some very talented artists performing but It felt like a wake at times.

No begrudgery from me, but It wasn't a concert I would watch again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Overall, I think Michael D did us proud in London. He did not put a foot wrong. Unlike a lot of our other political leaders, he does his best for the country and is a good ambassador for Ireland.

Advertisement