Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toulon vs Munster buildup/ticket discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

No Michalak in the 23 again. Bizarre!

He'd probably start for us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

How many Munster players would get into Toulon team? 1?

Point being?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Only 3 French players in the Toulon starting team compared to only 3 NIEs in the Munster squad. Crazy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

The real question is, how many Munster players would want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Point being?

Highlights the difference in quality and very depressing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

At least Murray and POC from the starting 15

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Only -8 on the bookies. Stranger swings have happened. I'm surprisingly optimistic about this one after that quarter final

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

As with everything captain related, we can only look at a tiny bit of the picture.

After the display he put in as captain against Leinster I wouldn't be too fast to have him captain again but as you said we only know a tiny bit of the picture.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

9 and 5 are the only positions where Munster are stronger, on paper at least.

The weather is minging here at the minute. Freezing cold and lashing rain with a bit of thunder thrown in. Should be sunny and 18 degrees by Sunday though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Lads you will win, don't worry about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭antogz1979

Grimebox wrote: »
    At least Murray and POC from the starting 15

I'd have Earls over Mitchell and there is not much between any of the frontrow. Toulon everywhere else and a wide margin in some cases.
    I think Munster could put them under pressure in the front row actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Given they're missing Ali Williams and Bakkies Botha are injured, O'Connell would and Botha would have a shot against Hayman. Murray might have a shot at their bench. But all being fit, none. O'Connell and Botha would make the 23 though, possibly Murray on bench too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 USIrishYa

varley shouldnt even start ahead of casey let alone captain.

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Given they're missing Ali Williams and Bakkies Botha are injured, O'Connell would and Botha would have a shot against Hayman. Murray might have a shot at their bench. But all being fit, none. O'Connell and Botha would make the 23 though, possibly Murray on bench too.

Murray would have a great shot of starting for any team (International or Club) in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

USIrishYa wrote: »
    varley shouldnt even start ahead of casey let alone captain.

Maybe it's Penney's only way of trying to stop him giving away umpteen stupid penalties.

razorblunt wrote: »
    Maybe it's Penney's only way of trying to stop him giving away umpteen stupid penalties.

He has a good demeanor with refs and it allows POC to maintain a level of intensity without having to calm himself down when talking to the ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Rickwellwood

G'wan Munster !!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,767 ✭✭✭✭phog

Think this might have been mentioned earlier int he thread.
    MRSC ‏@MRSC16 ·16 mins

Please take note of the Tram stop you should use at the stadium on Sunday. @Munsterrugby #InvadeMarseille #SUAF pic.twitter.com/HLkTZxcxSO

BmEeNvxCMAE7DsF.png

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

antogz1979 wrote: »
    I'd have Earls over Mitchell and there is not much between any of the frontrow. Toulon everywhere else and a wide margin in some cases.
    I think Munster could put them under pressure in the front row actually.

Even with Damian Varley? Seriously?

Id really love to see Munster win this but with the difference in quality, I dont think the Munster intensity will be enough to make up the difference.

Munster are at a real disadvantage at in the back row, centres and at full back. Let's hope wilkinson has a bad day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

(sorry if this is spam) but I still have 3 tickets for the game but can't make it. If anyone is leaving from Cork and wants to use them, please PM.. I always hate seeing tickets go to waste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭budhabob

RoundBox11 wrote: »
    Even with Damian Varley? Seriously?

Id really love to see Munster win this but with the difference in quality, I dont think the Munster intensity will be enough to make up the difference.

Munster are at a real disadvantage at in the back row, centres and at full back. Let's hope wilkinson has a bad day

Despite the comments on his discipline, Varley is a very good scrummager, a good ball carrier, and excellent on the deck. his major weaknesses are consistency of his darts and ill-discipline.

In terms of being at a disadvantage in the backrow, 2 of our backrows are consistently underrated, and generally do very well against "better" backrows. Both Dougal and Coughlan also have serious work rates which will be key. Stander is coming into his own and seems to relish the big stage.

Theres no doubt we are up against it, i'm just seriously hyped now, and very positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Leinster took toulons scrum apart but their lineout was a disaster. Munster will do the same although I suspect their lineout will do very well with poc.

Wilkinson playing is a big plus as he doesn't use the backs effective so with him on toulon will simply aim to dominate the forwards and kick the penalties. I personally can't see them dominating in this way so munster have a good chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

budhabob wrote: »
    Despite the comments on his discipline, Varley is a very good scrummager, a good ball carrier, and excellent on the deck. his major weaknesses are consistency of his darts and ill-discipline.

In terms of being at a disadvantage in the backrow, 2 of our backrows are consistently underrated, and generally do very well against "better" backrows. Both Dougal and Coughlan also have serious work rates which will be key. Stander is coming into his own and seems to relish the big stage.

Theres no doubt we are up against it, i'm just seriously hyped now, and very positive.

Dougall may play against well against better rabo back rows but Lobbe is in a different galaxy as a player. Stander has played well recently but is fairly untested against a backrow like Toulons. Added to the fact that Smith and Lobbe in particular have proven themselves against hardened international backrows. There's a pretty massive gulf

• Registered Users Posts: 23,767 ✭✭✭✭phog

Ian Buckley ‏@MRSCLilman ·32 mins

Munster Mascot Darragh Humphreys receives his kit for Sunday. @MRSC16 pic.twitter.com/aca5sn6ZTe

BmEw3fhIIAAeeli.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

I envy your optimism but no-one is underrating Dougall and Coughlan, they are simply not in the same league as Lobbe and Armitage who are not only better rugby players but also have massive work rates. Dougall in particular is facing a match that is a quantum leap above anything he has played in to date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Trust no-one objects if I crash the thread and wish Munster "Best of success" for the weekend. T'would be an excellent effort if ye can come away with the victory. Good luck, and safe travels thomond2006 among others! Don't forget to slip, slop, slap in that scorching mediterranean sun - lobster red supporters would stand out a mile, even if it does match the jersey...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭budhabob

I envy your optimism but no-one is underrating Dougall and Coughlan, they are simply not in the same league as Lobbe and Armitage who are not only better rugby players but also have massive work rates. Dougall in particular is facing a match that is a quantum leap above anything he has played in to date.

I'm in no way doubting the challenge is massive, but one has to believe!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I have to say I really think Leinster let Toulon off the hook in the QF's. For all their dominance capitalizing on our mistakes won them the game and were helped by some of our usually best players not playing very well. This is by no means a lost cause game for Munster.

It'll be interesting to see how Downey and Lualala deal with Basteraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

who_me wrote: »
    (sorry if this is spam) but I still have 3 tickets for the game but can't make it. If anyone is leaving from Cork and wants to use them, please PM.. I always hate seeing tickets go to waste.

I'm travelling from cork and would easily meet with anyone that needs these if you like

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

I'm in no way doubting the challenge is massive, but one has to believe!

Don't get me wrong, I think Munster are in with a chance and I think the backrow is absolutely key; unfortunately I think not only do the Munster trio have to play as well as they possibly can, they also need the Toulon unit to have an off-day.

Does anyone have any more parades they want rained on, while I'm here like?

Advertisement