Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toulon vs Munster buildup/ticket discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭budhabob

Don't get me wrong, I think Munster are in with a chance and I think the backrow is absolutely key; unfortunately I think not only do the Munster trio have to play as well as they possibly can, they also need the Toulon unit to have an off-day.

Does anyone have any more parades they want rained on, while I'm here like?

I need to ignore you for the next two days to keep my enthusiasm up! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

The same ould comments like this time last year,there was hardly a need for us to turn up. I think one poster compared it to the All Blacks playing an AIL side. :p

To be fair, I was a lot more confident this time last year but if you are there, you have a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

To be fair, I was a lot more confident this time last year but if you are there, you have a chance.

I think last years experience will stand to the younger players big time on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Only 3 French players in the Toulon starting team compared to only 3 NIEs in the Munster squad. Crazy stuff.

There's 4. Suta is from a French Polynesian island Wallis & Futuna. He is as French as anyone from France.

It's not crazy if you think about the objectives of both clubs. Toulon aren't around to develop internationals, Munster are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

It's not crazy if you think about the objectives of both clubs. Toulon aren't around to develop internationals, Munster are.

Toulon’s objective has been to assemble (purchase) the best group of individuals who will deliver short-term success to the club. Munster pride themselves on developing a squad that can deliver silverware. In my opinion, this Toulon side is built upon ideals derived from big-money professional soccer clubs.

I’d contend that Toulon winning their second HEC trophy on the trot will be damaging to the sport, and it will signal a potentially harmful correlation between success and purchasing power.

• Advertisement

I’d contend that Toulon winning their second HEC trophy on the trot will be damaging to the sport, and it will signal a potentially harmful correlation between success and purchasing power.

Would you say the same if Clermont won it this year? They have a bigger budget than Toulon!

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Would you say the same if Clermont won it this year? They have a bigger budget than Toulon!

Whats your predication of the score?

Whats your predication of the score?

Toulon 24

Tries: Habana, S Armitage
    Conv: Wilkinson
    Pen: Wilkinson 2, Giteau
    Drop: Wilkinson

Munster 18

Tries: Earls, Kilcoyne
    Conv: Keatley
    Pens: Keatley 2

Is that detailed enough? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,411 ✭✭✭✭cson

Toulon’s objective has been to assemble (purchase) the best group of individuals who will deliver short-term success to the club. Munster pride themselves on developing a squad that can deliver silverware. In my opinion, this Toulon side is built upon ideals derived from big-money professional soccer clubs.

Success and purchasing power are correlated everywhere. It's wishful thinking that it doesn't or won't apply to rugby. Is football worse off for the likes of Man City/PSG/Monaco/Chelsea? You could argue that point either way (and I abhorr the footloose way they throw cash around), it certainly makes it more competitive, and yet you still have Liverpool and Atleti topping their respective leagues on about a 1/4 of the budget of the bankrolled teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,767 ✭✭✭✭phog

Of the 36 semifinals of the H/cup Munster have been in ten of them, eight of the away. Strangely, we lost the two home ones :mad: Toulouse alos were in 10 s/finals.

Top 5 away S/finalists
    Munster - 8
    Toulouse -4
    Perpignan, Scarlets and Leinster all on 3

Top 3 home s/finalists
    Toulouse - 6
    Leicester - 5
    Leinster - 4

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone

Anybody doing a match thread for this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

who_me wrote: »
    (sorry if this is spam) but I still have 3 tickets for the game but can't make it. If anyone is leaving from Cork and wants to use them, please PM.. I always hate seeing tickets go to waste.

These tickets are with me now if anyone is stuck, I'm in Nice today, Marseilles tomorrow, just drop me a pm.

SomeFool wrote: »
    These tickets are with me now if anyone is stuck, I'm in Nice today, Marseilles tomorrow, just drop me a pm.

There was a guy on twitter looking for a ticket
    Barry-John Ryan (@BJRYAN1977) tweeted at 9:23 AM on Sat, Apr 26, 2014:

Anyone got 1 spare ticket 4 "Ganay" stand(Heineken Corporate) @Munsterrugby @MRSC16 @MRSCDublin @MRSCLondon @MRSCusa #InvadeMarseille #SUAF

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Clermont don't stockpile players though, like Toulon does. Also, isn't Sivivatu leaving Clermont for Castres because Clermont wouldn't meet his wage demands?

jm08 wrote: »
    Clermont don't stockpile players though, like Toulon does. Also, isn't Sivivatu leaving Clermont for Castres because Clermont wouldn't meet his wage demands?

Re Sivivatu: Not exactly, he's leaving because Castres offered him a three year contract and Clermont only offered him one or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Liveforrugby

The butthurt is palpable off your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,182 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'd say they're pretty handy at stock piling. Toulon probably more so but Clermont get held to a very different standard in Ireland which I can only assume is because they're well liked here (which in turn is mainly because Irish sides have had the upper hand over them more often than not).

Their second string back line is:

Radosavljevic
    Delany (All Black)
    Nakaitaci (French international)
    Stanley (All Black)
    King (All Black)
    Malzieu (French international)
    Buttin (French international)

While they're losing King, Sivi and Byrne this summer they've already signed Davies, Guildford and Abendanon.

Buer wrote: »
    I'd say they're pretty handy at stock piling. Toulon probably more so but Clermont get held to a very different standard in Ireland which I can only assume is because they're well liked here (which in turn is mainly because Irish sides have had the upper hand over them more often than not).

Radosavljevic
    Delany (All Black)
    Stanley (All Black)
    King (All Black)

While they're losing King, Sivi and Byrne this summer they've already signed Davies, Guildford and Abendanon.

I think its just Leinster fans who like Clermont. Munster fans have more of an afinity with Toulouse and we certainly have no liking for the likes of Cudmore and a few more of their thugs. (ROG picked up 20+ stitches in his head down there a few years ago).

Their fans are good though, but I also think the Toulon fans are great and their players. The Toulon President though is obnoxious and is probably the main reason why Toulon are disliked.

I read today he wants the French Top 14 money to be split on viewing figures rather than equally. Seems he thinks he provides all these superstars which is the reason why people want to watch rugby.

Of course it could also mean that people watch Toulon hoping the opposition team will beat them :D

Edit: on their stockpiling. Toulon tried to sign both Heaslip & SOB - that is what I call stockpiling. At least those joining Clermont have a chance to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

I think its just Leinster fans who like Clermont. Munster fans have more of an afinity with Toulouse and we certainly have no liking for the likes of Cudmore and a few more of their thugs. (ROG picked up 20+ stitches in his head down there a few years ago).

Their fans are good though, but I also think the Toulon fans are great and their players. The Toulon President though is obnoxious and is probably the main reason why Toulon are disliked.

I read today he wants the French Top 14 money to be split on viewing figures rather than equally. Seems he thinks he provides all these superstars which is the reason why people want to watch rugby.

Of course it could also mean that people watch Toulon hoping the opposition team will beat them :D

Edit: on their stockpiling. Toulon tried to sign both Heaslip & SOB - that is what I call stockpiling. At least those joining Clermont have a chance to play.

who are the other thugs you're talking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

That was Audebert who stood on ROG, he was running at full pelt so imo it's highly dubious whether it was on purpose.

Flannery stamping on Bonnaire though...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

That noise you can hear is jm08 frantically googling to back up his nonsensical assertions.

He'll be back presently with some completely unconnected "facts" and then we'll have nine pages of utter drivel.

I don't even know why this discussion is going on, 24 hours before a HC semi-final. Should people not be discussing, I dunno, the game itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,182 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Clermont came close to signing Heaslip last time and went for Sexton also last season but point taken.

Anybody doing a match thread for this one?

Has anyone started to prepare one?

If not I'll do a match thread. I cant do it for about half an hour and I don' want to start getting one ready if someone else has it done.

BTW, it ain't going to be of thomond's standards so if you're looking for a classic then fire ahead and do one. :D

phog wrote: »
    Has anyone started to prepare one?

If not I'll do a match thread. I cant do it for about half an hour and I don' want to start getting one ready if someone else has it done.

BTW, it ain't going to be of thomond's standards so if you're looking for a classic then fire ahead and do one. :D

Thankfully, beaten to it by twenty two.

Lock this thread?

That noise you can hear is jm08 frantically googling to back up his nonsensical assertions.

He'll be back presently with some completely unconnected "facts" and then we'll have nine pages of utter drivel.

I don't even know why this discussion is going on, 24 hours before a HC semi-final. Should people not be discussing, I dunno, the game itself?

To be quite honest with you, the rest are probably ok, but the fact that they persist with Cudmore suggests they are very sympathetic to thuggish behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Ha Munster fans

danthefan wrote: »
    That was Audebert who stood on ROG, he was running at full pelt so imo it's highly dubious whether it was on purpose.

Flannery stamping on Bonnaire though...

Strange then that Flannery got a 4 week suspension and Audeberg got 8 weeks :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Ha Munster fans

Meant to post this in the match thread. A few Munster fans were on camera at the Sarries game. Very funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Ya I saw that too Diabhal. The commentators mentioned it aswell saying they would be having a nice "quiet" flight over to Marseille tonight!

Wish I was heading down there too. Was at the clermont game last year but has since then moved across the atlantic. Will need to find a good irish pub over here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Buer wrote: »

Radosavljevic
    Delany (All Black)
    Stanley (All Black)
    King (All Black)

He he Buer, AB in the loosest sense of the word. King 1 cap, Stanley 1 cap (last cab off the rank as he famously said himself), Delaney can't have got more than 10. Not refuting your post per se, but when you compare to some of Toulon's squad it's not quite the same.

Advertisement