Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we in 1930's Mississippi?

Options
1141516171820»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Reliable statistics are notoriously difficult to come by (strangely enough) in relation to travellers. But here is a fairly good source from UCD on Traveller health which suggests traveller men are 5 times more likely to be imprisoned and traveller women 18 (Eighteen!!) times more likely than settled women. (it's on the summary before the table of contents):

http://www.dohc.ie/publications/aiths2010/TR2/AITHS2010_TechnicalReport2_HR_PartC.pdf?direct=1

Before you get too excited don't forget the Irish Prison Service could only estimate the number at 299 for men and the Census (completed by travellers themselves) only had 150 in Prison. Then factor in Irish Travellers in UK and European prisons.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 drain_cleaner

newspapers leave themselves open to a racist charge by printing facts about travellers

the main gangs in limerick are all travellers yet this never gets reported

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

newspapers leave themselves open to a racist charge by printing facts about travellers

the main gangs in limerick are all travellers yet this never gets reported

Because it's not true, would be one reason. The second reason of course is that much of the violence and anti-social behaviour is perpetrated by members of the settled "community". I'm not here blindly defending travellers, far from it, but statistics will never tell you the full story either. There's as much anti-social behaviour and violence among the traveller community that goes unreported in statistics, and given the difficulty with collecting data, I wouldn't rely solely on statistics, or individual anecdotes such as my own.

A balanced perspective does help though.

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Because it's not true, would be one reason. The second reason of course is that much of the violence and anti-social behaviour is perpetrated by members of the settled "community". I'm not here blindly defending travellers, far from it, but statistics will never tell you the full story either. There's as much anti-social behaviour and violence among the traveller community that goes unreported in statistics, and given the difficulty with collecting data, I wouldn't rely solely on statistics, or individual anecdotes such as my own.

A balanced perspective does help though.

Are the McCarthy-Dundon gang not travellers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Deise Vu wrote: »
    Are the McCarthy-Dundon gang not travellers?

They are, but I wouldn't have put them down as the main criminal gangs in Limerick any more tbh. Up to about ten years ago alright, and there were the Caseys and the Kellys too, but all that feuding shìte died down about five years or so ago.

I shouldn't have to state the obvious, but at least the feuding families were only trying to intimidate and kill each other. Criminal gangs are much more organised and sophisticated nowadays and they're also unlikely to appear in the Sunday World any time soon. The same newspaper I wouldn't wipe my arse with to be perfectly honest about it.

Czarcasm wrote: »
    They are, but I wouldn't have put them down as the main criminal gangs in Limerick any more tbh. Up to about ten years ago alright, and there were the Caseys and the Kellys too, but all that feuding shìte died down about five years or so ago.

I shouldn't have to state the obvious, but at least the feuding families were only trying to intimidate and kill each other. Criminal gangs are much more organised and sophisticated nowadays and they're also unlikely to appear in the Sunday World any time soon. The same newspaper I wouldn't wipe my arse with to be perfectly honest about it.

The Collins family, wherever they are in the world now, might not agree with you.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

I take it that they have been convicted of crimes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Deise Vu wrote: »
    Reliable statistics are notoriously difficult to come by (strangely enough) in relation to travellers. But here is a fairly good source from UCD on Traveller health which suggests traveller men are 5 times more likely to be imprisoned and traveller women 18 (Eighteen!!) times more likely than settled women. (it's on the summary before the table of contents):

http://www.dohc.ie/publications/aiths2010/TR2/AITHS2010_TechnicalReport2_HR_PartC.pdf?direct=1

Table 6 is good. It has the relative risks of imprisonment for the 2 sets of data in the study ( prison stats and a survey of travellers ). For the prison stats the ratios are 10.8:1 male and 22:1 female. For the survey they are 5.2:1 male and 18:1 female.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Busyness1

This thread won't last long. Most people don't want travellers living beside them. They have a reputation for anti social behaviour.

And they are dead right. Time for them to pull the socks up, contribute to society in a meaningful way and stop with the cultural/minority crap. Otherwise, they fully deserve their rep and I have no quams in judging them by the reputation!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,003 ✭✭✭Hitchens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

Hitchens wrote: »

Sure it's their culture .
    The silence from Martin Collins in pavee point is deafening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

At a communion of all places! What next? A Wedding? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Hitchens wrote: »

the neanderthals are probably having a great laugh about this wonderful cultural event this morning in their state paid accommodation,eating their state paid for food while this thick is heading into another stressful week working hard to pay for them:mad:

Advertisement