Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we in 1930's Mississippi?

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 86 ✭✭Pixie69

Travellers are a great bunch of lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

efb wrote: »
    So as usual AH thinks it's perfectly fine to tar all travellers with the one brush....

You can cry that "tar with the one brush" stuff all you like. Doesnt change what everyone already knows. If Travellers move in nearby trouble wont be far behind them. And no community is going to want to deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Muise... wrote: »
    What history books have you? The Chronicles of Browbeating Bull****?

I highly recommend you do some research before further comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

You can cry that "tar with the one brush" stuff all you like. Doesnt change what everyone already knows. If Travellers move in nearby trouble wont be far behind them. And no community is going to want to deal with it.

I don't have an issue with it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

So as usual AH thinks it's perfectly fine to tar all travellers with the one brush....
    You want is to talk about the travelling community at an individual level? Or are you just determined to stick your head in the sand and refused to recognise common distinguishing characteristics between different social groups?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Do you live beside any or have you done in the past? What were your experiences?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

So because you dont mind everyone else should keep their mouths shut when it comes to something that may have a negative impact on their community ?

humbert wrote: »
    You want is to talk about the travelling community at an individual level? Or are you just determined to stick your head in the sand and refused to recognise common distinguishing characteristics between different social groups?

I am not sticking my head in the sand I live beside travellers. It's lazy scaremongering and picking an easy target to blame to everything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

Gatling wrote: »
    I highly recommend you do some research before further comments

You post a histrionic comment, yet I have to do some research? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭smoking_kills

So because you dont mind everyone else should keep their mouths shut when it comes to something that may have a negative impact on their community ?

Whatever about negative impact on their community, how about negative impact on their house prices????

• Advertisement

It's awful racism and NIMBYism

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

All they want is equality.

...So long as they get way more equality than the rest of us.

...And that they don't have to pay any tax to get it.

Whatever about negative impact on their community, how about negative impact on their house prices????

The real issue I bet...

• Site Banned Posts: 86 ✭✭Pixie69

By nature travellers are travellers so shouldn't they eh travel?

Essien wrote: »
    All they want is equality.

...So long as they get way more equality than the rest of us.

...And that they don't have to pay any tax to get it.

All of them???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

A thin layer of tar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Complains about Traveller lifestyle.

Complains about them being settled.

Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I am not sticking my head in the sand I live beside travellers. It's lazy scaremongering and picking an easy target to blame to everything
    No, it's not. There may by hyperbole and prejudice but there is also some substance (which you are entitled to debate) to the common view of travellers and obstinately refusing to acknowledge the negatives is just as unconstructive as focusing exclusively on them IMO.

The real issue I bet...

So what if it is? People work hard to pay mortgages, no one would want anything in their community that would devalue their property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭131spanner

Good on Cllr. Higgins. It must have been a huge relief for those in the area to get that letter.

• Advertisement

Reminds me if this tweet:
    @RonanMullen: Massive crowd gathered in Ballina tonight against dangers of pylons and wind turbines in Moy Valley - people power in action

Such NIMBYism

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

They are protected under the equality act

nothing equal about that

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Well, nice to know the teaching of history in Irish schools has reached a new nadir.

The state shouldn't be funding the assimilation of the Travelling Community and having policies which are basically an attack on their culture.

eviltwin wrote: »
    So what if it is? People work hard to pay mortgages, no one would want anything in their community that would devalue their property.

Better not let any more houses for anyone be built. And no restrictions on mortgages two bigger effects on house prices

What about people that inherited houses, not necessarily through hard work...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

All of them???

The vast majority.

I doubt they pay much tax on the revenue they generate from all their burglaries they've committed around here recently, or all the unprovoked assaults. I could be wrong though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭smoking_kills

The real issue I bet...

The largest purchase the majority of people will ever make, 20 or 30 years paying a mortgage (and working bloody hard to do so) and in some cases their pension as well.....

Yeah no issue there....

Better not let any more houses for anyone be built. And no restrictions on mortgages two bigger effects on house prices

Don't be ridiculous. If a traveller works hard, earns a wage and buys a house beside me then more power to them. One such traveller family lives a few doors down, they are really lovely people and work hard, never had an issue from them.

It's provision of purpose built accommodation that no other sector of society has access too - which is in itself a form of discrimination - that I object to cause its basically making a ghetto.

I am all for integration but it doesn't work when you create an enclave of homes, slightly away from the rest of the community where there is no interaction and tensions flare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭jimboblep

What about people that inherited houses, not necessarily through hard work...

wow definition of whataboutery right there

Advertisement