Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 4 Episode 1 "Two Swords" : HAVE read the books

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    So did that guy just spoil The Purple Wedding for himself? How much did he read I wonder.

I really hope he has unfollowed the thread, cause I might post some major spoilers now.

I really hope his face goes purple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    The part which brought me most joy from the episode is when Joffrey is reading the white book on the Arthur Dayne page. If you pause you can read the previous page. Obviously about Gerold Hightower......and the Tower of Joy.

:):):):)

Good pausing work!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Oh and Daario giving Dany a blue rose tilted the **** out of me

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

It just struck me they might show the flashback to The Hound saying only cnuts name their swords and open with Joffrey naming his new sword!

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I liked the nod to the book readers when Tyrion told Oberyn that he was also a "second son" :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    So did that guy just spoil The Purple Wedding for himself? How much did he read I wonder.

I really hope he has unfollowed the thread, cause I might post some major spoilers now.

What like that Hodor is a Targ/Dothraki/Stark hybrid?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Fantastic episode! Loved Tywin lobbing the wolfskin on spit with an epic rendition of Rains Of Castamere.

Also broke in laughter when Lord Janos scoffs Lord Snows giant warning to find the rest of the council are deadpan serious. Great scene and setup for the future.

Im thinkin Thorne will replace Noye actions in the books only just be bollox to Jon but will die a brother of the nights watch otherwise he'd be proclaimed Lord Commander as Marsh and Pyke are probably cut.

Needed a lil more King Joffrey though considering he's on the out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

The part which brought me most joy from the episode is when Joffrey is reading the white book on the Arthur Dayne page. If you pause you can read the previous page. Obviously about Gerold Hightower......and the Tower of Joy.

:):):):)

Well spotted Tom. Seeing as the writers know the ending this would suggest that the readers will have closure on the whole Tower of joy storyline. Which in turn would suggest that R+L is in fact J..

I don't know how I feel about that.

Over on the Have not read the books thread somebody remarked "The Hound is becoming one of my favourite characters, he's gonna die soon isn't he?". Hahaha, my sweet summer children are learning quickly....

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

GerB40 wrote: »
    Over on the Have not read the books thread somebody remarked "The Hound is becoming one of my favourite characters, he's gonna die soon isn't he?". Hahaha, my sweet summer children are learning quickly....

When discussing this episode with unsullied viewers, they all mention how badass Oberyn and the Hound are. Or wonder when Daenerys is going to get to Westeros. Never sure exactly how to respond .. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭chickenboy

GerB40 wrote: »
    Well spotted Tom. Seeing as the writers know the ending this would suggest that the readers will have closure on the whole Tower of joy storyline. Which in turn would suggest that R+L is in fact J..

I don't know how I feel about that.

I'm almost of the opinion that it'd be better for Jon never to find out about his parentage. It'd be a massive f*ck you to the fans who've spent years discussing it, but it fits with Martins subversion of fantasy tropes.

In a world where the honourable and just generally meet a grisly end to satisfy someone else's political manoeuvring, why should a bastard boy living his life out in the arse end of nowhere eventually discover he's the prince that was promised, and go on to save the world and live happily ever after?

Technically speaking though, The Hound is dead, but Sandor Clegane might still be around somewhere. This was doing the rounds on reddit a while back

1368942977497.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Quentyn

do you mean Oberyn?

Riskymove wrote: »
    do you mean Oberyn?

Yeah sorry, too many damn names to keep track of!

On that note, is there any significance to the fact that they haven't called him the Red Viper on the show yet? I feel that may come up at some point, maybe some exposition about how he likes to poison people.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Some prick on Facebook spoilered the purple wedding on my wife this morning... first thing she said to me this morning: "Does Joffrey die in the wedding?!" :mad:

I lied but, even then, the surprise will be ruined for her now. :mad:

Technically speaking though, The Hound is dead, but Sandor Clegane might still be around somewhere. This was doing the rounds on reddit a while back

1368942977497.jpg
    Well if Sandor is in fact the gravedigger (at the summer isles?) viewers won't be seeing him for a while, if at all. It's still unclear if he has any relevance to the story but I hope to see a Clegane showdown with the gravedigger (representing the faith) and Robert Strong (representing the crown). Sounds almost too good to happen but who knows??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Sleepy wrote: »
    Some prick on Facebook spoilered the purple wedding on my wife this morning... first thing she said to me this morning: "Does Joffrey die in the wedding?!" :mad:

Facebook and YouTube are a disaster for people posting spoilers.

The Red Wedding got spoiled for my wife last year from a YouTube comment on a HBO Trailer for an episode.

Like you, I lied. But with the constant pestering, I had to come clean and say that something happens alrite. She couldn't let it rest.

With Sandor not getting injured, it got me to thinking about how he will "die". I think the chicken might have been poisoned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

With Sandor not getting injured, it got me to thinking about how he will "die". I think the chicken might have been poisoned.

i wonder will they even bother.. himself and arya seem to be getting along pretty well in the tv show in a weird sort of brother/sister sort of way. it's been a long time but I remember their relationship in the books being alot more adversarial

• Registered Users Posts: 14,497 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

The Hound did get injured, took a cut across the back or the back of his leg.

Tavern fight is up on YT if you want to see it.

• Advertisement

Hmm, that's a bit of a stretch because everyone else in the tavern was eating it too.

I expect them to stretch out the whole 'adventures of Arya and the Hound' for a while, then have some climactic showdown where he gets mortally injured and she leaves for Braavos. Although he did get a bad leg wound in that fight, so maybe that will be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

i wonder will they even bother.. himself and arya seem to be getting along pretty well in the tv show in a weird sort of brother/sister sort of way. it's been a long time but I remember their relationship in the books being alot more adversarial

I am thinking the same, Its one change I would like, keep The Hound a bit longer.

I assume they might get into another brawl at some stage and then he gets injured.

The Gift of Mercy would be in episode 3 or 4.

I think people said they suspect that Stannis will be taking a detour to Braavos, to the Iron Bank, instead of the Iron Bank seeking him out later. I wouldn't be surprised if we see Arya get a lift on one of his ships. Obviously they won't know who she is or anything, just a Braavosi ship or sailer in Stannis's fleet will let her on after showing the coin, same as in the books.

Hmm, that's a bit of a stretch because everyone else in the tavern was eating it too.

Yes, i think the innkeeper was poisoning Polliver and his crew knowing that they were going to kill him and his daughter/wife before leaving anyway.

If they "kill off" The Hound by fúckin food poisoning I'll go spare. It just dawned on me that Maisie Williams (Arya) said in an interview that book readers will be very surprised by her storyline this season. I'm just throwing this out there, perhaps Arya somehow fúcks him up. It would really show her descent into ice cold killer and as Maisie said, it would surprise the fúck out of readers...

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

That was a solid season opener. As others have said, it suffers from the fact that it has to remind the audience of the previous season and does little to advance the plot too much. We'll probably have the same next week for Bran and the Greyjoys.

Nice catch on the white book Tom. It's interesting that Duncan the Tall has a lot of pages. Do we hear about his achievements in the Kingsguard at any stage in ASOIAF?

The scene at the inn stole the episode. "What the ****'s a Lommy?". It looks like the show has already caught up with The Winds of Winter with Arya getting her revenge. Although it's a different character. I wonder how they'll kill the Hound now? Food poisoning would be a bad way to go for a character like him. Hopefully the leg wound festers and we'll get Arya refusing to kill him later.

Roll on episode 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Shazbot wrote: »
    It looks like the show has already caught up with The Winds of Winter with Arya getting her revenge.
    This scene goes down a little differently in the books but Arya does kill two men to recover Needle in ASOS:

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/A_Storm_of_Swords-Chapter_74/

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

Sleepy wrote: »
    This scene goes down a little differently in the books but Arya does kill two men to recover Needle in ASOS:

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/A_Storm_of_Swords-Chapter_74/

Yeah i remember Arya manically killing Polliver to retrieve Needle. I was thinking about the way in which she killed him was a scene from TWoW as vengence for Lommy.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭jackjustjumped

I think Maisie Williams is doing an amazing job. The look on her face after the tavern scene was perfect. The little psychopath.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Arya is such a popular character amongst the non-bookies (bookies opinions seems to be more varied), I can't wait to see their reaction when she ****s off to Braavos and joins a religious order. To piss off the non-bookies I'd love if they had her selling clams for a whole season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭jackjustjumped

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Arya is such a popular character amongst the non-bookies (bookies opinions seems to be more varied), I can't wait to see their reaction when she ****s off to Braavos and joins a religious order. To piss off the non-bookies I'd love if they had her selling clams for a whole season

Thing is, most of my show-only friends adore Syrio and Jaqen so I reckon any mention of Braavos will be well received.

Advertisement