Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 4 Episode 1 "Two Swords" : HAVE read the books

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

mewso wrote: »
    Definitely going with the jealous/spurned Shae approach. Ridiculous.

Forgot about that, so fùcking silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

People need to let the show do their own thing. I see both the books and show as two totally enjoy different things. Can't let changes to the book get to you, that's just silly.

That was a awesome episode, probably the best season opener!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Definitely going with the jealous/spurned Shae approach. Ridiculous.

We didn't get to see Shaes POV in the book. What else other then jealously do you think drove Shae into Tywins bed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

I thought a lot of that was terrible quite frankly. Was there just something wrong with my copy, but there was no score for most of the final scene, sound is so important, it was robbed of all drama for me personally. Oberyn scenes were great because they had a noticeably excellent score along with them.

Lots i liked too, but the stuff in the North really bummed me out, they seem to have none of the budget of King's Landing and everything at the wall seemed different from before, did anyone else get that, like they've changed sets or something? It didn't even seem cold there. The Daario scene just made laugh, as did the Thormund one. That new character is so badly realised. Badly acted too and the makeup is....eh.
    Shae...I just think of the inevitable pay-off and smile.

It's not about them deviating either. Often the scenes i like best are the ones i know have been made up completely.

I need to freshen up on the books too cause i was struggling to remember what was from the books or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,509 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

bur wrote: »
    Lots i liked too, but the stuff in the North really bummed me out, they seem to have none of the budget of King's Landing and everything at the wall seemed different from before, did anyone else get that, like they've changed sets or something? It didn't even seem cold there.

What do you expect? Castle Black isn't supposed to be as fancy as KL. I'd say the upcoming battle there has bitten into the budget more than anything else this season.

It didn't look cold where the Wildlings were because they're a good bit south of the Wall in the Gift.

• Advertisement

Son0vagun wrote: »
    We didn't get to see Shaes POV in the book. What else other then jealously do you think drove Shae into Tywins bed?

She's a greedy whore.

People need to let the show do their own thing. I see both the books and show as two totally enjoy different things. Can't let changes to the book get to you, that's just silly.

That was a awesome episode, probably the best season opener!

It's nothing to do with that. They ignore character development for sex scenes which are only there to add to the edginess of the show. It's like 2 teenage boys were given writing privileges at times. Now obviously I don't mind the sex scenes from a testosterone filled standpoint :p but it's like every character no matter how big or small seems to have time given to a sexual objective rather than progression of their character and insights.

I mean even fùcking Grey Worm is now getting a romantic subplot, like come on!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I have no problem with changes that make sense and work well. Not just letting Shae be simply a whore (and doing it for money since you asked) is weak imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Haven't seen the episode yet, but at this stage now, I don't really mind the changes the show makes.

The odd thing does bug me like, the Jon/Tormond rapport that's in the books, hasn't been replicated on screen, I really like how them two get on in the ASOS.

Still, that can be remedied in the Parley scene if it hasn't been cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

The Garden scene with Dontas. Are they going with the necklace or a head-dress for the Sansa's poison receptacle? Always liked the idea of her be a Medusa-like figure with the poisoned snakes in her hair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Thinking of asking my boss to get off early.....

"Why?"

"Winter is coming"

Wonder how that'll fly... roll on 5:30!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,159 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I have no problem with changes that make sense and work well. Not just letting Shae be simply a whore (and doing it for money since you asked) is weak imo.

Yeah I agree, in general and I don't mind changes from the books at all (didn't read them until after season 2) i even welcome them as it keeps me guessing but I don't like the Shae stuff. I actually prefer her portrayal in the show to the book, she genuinely likes Tyrion and seems really intelligent, but I just don't buy show Shae acting the same way as book Shae in the end because they seem like 2 different characters to me. It's early days yet though I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Yeah I agree, in general and I don't mind changes from the books at all (didn't read them until after season 2) i even welcome them as it keeps me guessing but I don't like the Shae stuff. I actually prefer her portrayal in the show to the book, she genuinely likes Tyrion and seems really intelligent, but I just don't buy show Shae acting the same way as book Shae in the end because they seem like 2 different characters to me. It's early days yet though I suppose.
    It will be interesting to see in the show if they have her in bed with Tywin. I found that part really unbelievable in the books. Tywin despises whores with a passion and I just don't buy into him sleeping with Shae to get back at Tyrion. If Shae came onto Tywin it would be more believable for him to kill her.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,159 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see in the show if they have her in bed with Tywin. I found that part really unbelievable in the books. Tywin despises whores with a passion and I just don't buy into him sleeping with Shae to get back at Tyrion. If Shae came onto Tywin it would be more believable for him to kill her.

I think it kind of hinted that Tywin is just a big hypocrite which I was ok with in the book, but again the way Dance plays him I just don't see it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Liam O wrote: »
    Winced a lot at changes from the books. After Oberyn's gay scene I was ready to write it off, throwing in sex scenes for cheap character growth rather than grow the character through dialogue. Ellaria being shunted for a conversation with Tyrion completely goes against his book character too where if I remember correctly he made a point of saying that she was to hear everything he did.

Oberyn was bisexual.
    We know what the Dornish are like. Non-book readers haven't met any before.

They showed every element of Oberyn's character as it was in the books - he's incredibly reckless, dangerous but also this sort of progressive, sexy libertine.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Enjoyed it overall - the final scene with Arya and the Hound in the tavern was class. In both the books and the show I had always considered Arya to be bad-ass, but this point in the books was where she just exceeded my expectations of awesomness, and they didn't disappoint here in the show either...

Lots of love for Oberyn amongst non-readers, as well as a lot of 'em claiming The Hound is their new favourite character... Oh they're all gonna be so disappointed later this season. :D
    I love them both as characters too, but at least I know their fate going in to this season...

Next week, I'll be expecting the internet to blow up around 3am after the episode has aired...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Enjoyed it overall - the final scene with Arya and the Hound in the tavern was class. In both the books and the show I had always considered Arya to be bad-ass, but this point in the books was where she just exceeded my expectations of awesomness, and they didn't disappoint here in the show either...

Lots of love for Oberyn amongst non-readers, as well as a lot of 'em claiming The Hound is their new favourite character... Oh they're all gonna be so disappointed later this season. :D
    I love them both as characters too, but at least I know their fate going in to this season...

Next week, I'll be expecting the internet to blow up around 3am after the episode has aired...

Gonna so miss Joffrey/Jack Gleeson when it happens. Even last night, he was in it for 2 minutes and was outstanding again. Such a brilliant character to hate.

Is joffrey next week? nice thought that wasn't until episode 3!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Is joffrey next week? nice thought that wasn't until episode 3!

Next week's episode is called The Lion and The Rose, so I'd be quite surprised if it wasn't next week...

fntVrAG.gif

• Advertisement

Next week's episode is called The Lion and The Rose, so I'd be quite surprised if it wasn't next week...
    It's definitely next week. Episode summary:

Episode #32: “The Lion and the Rose”
    Debut: SUNDAY, APRIL 13 (9:00-10:00 p.m.)
    Tyrion lends Jaime (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) a hand. Joffrey (Jack Gleeson) and Margaery (Natalie Dormer) host a breakfast. At Dragonstone, Stannis (Stephen Dillane) loses patience with Davos (Liam Cunningham). Ramsay (Iwan Rheon) finds a purpose for his pet. North of the Wall, Bran (Isaac Hempstead Wright) sees where they must go.
    Written by George R.R. Martin; directed by Alex Graves.

It's gonna take a lot of people completely by surprise as they won't be expecting something so dramatic at this early stage.

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    It's definitely next week. Episode summary:

Episode #32: “The Lion and the Rose”
    Debut: SUNDAY, APRIL 13 (9:00-10:00 p.m.)
    Tyrion lends Jaime (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) a hand. Joffrey (Jack Gleeson) and Margaery (Natalie Dormer) host a breakfast. At Dragonstone, Stannis (Stephen Dillane) loses patience with Davos (Liam Cunningham). Ramsay (Iwan Rheon) finds a purpose for his pet. North of the Wall, Bran (Isaac Hempstead Wright) sees where they must go.
    Written by George R.R. Martin; directed by Alex Graves.

It's gonna take a lot of people completely by surprise as they won't be expecting something so dramatic at this early stage.

"Host a breakfast" doesn't sound like "have a wedding".

There's a pre-wedding breakfast thing where everyone gets presents and such. So presumably Joffrey will get his sword, Tyrion will puzzle out that Joffrey sent the fella with the knife and so forth.

Gbear wrote: »
    "Hose a breakfast" doesn't sound like "have a wedding".

There's a pre-wedding breakfast thing where everyone gets presents and such. So presumably Joffrey will get his sword, Tyrion will puzzle out that Joffrey sent the fella with the knife and so forth.
    In the UK they don't have a wedding reception, they have a wedding breakfast (even though it's not breakfast, it's the meal they have after the ceremony).

Next episode summary:

Episode #33: “Breaker of Chains”
    Debut: SUNDAY, APRIL 20 (9:00-10:00 p.m.)
    Tyrion ponders his options. Tywin (Charles Dance) extends an olive branch. Sam (John Bradley) realizes Castle Black isn’t safe, and Jon proposes a bold plan. The Hound (Rory McCann) teaches Arya the way things are. Dany chooses her champion.
    Written by David Benioff & D. B. Weiss; directed by Alex Graves.

I'm sure we call all guess what Tyrion is pondering!

Definitely next week, watch the promo;

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Hurry the **** up 5:30!

:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Seems like they are combining the Thenns with the Skagosi. Wonder if that will affect the marriage between Alys Karstark and Sigorn.

So it seems it will be Jon who comes up with the Lord Commander plan going off the ep. 3 description above. Sam really gets nothing in the show :p

Liam O wrote: »
    So it seems it will be Jon who comes up with the Lord Commander plan going off the ep. 3 description above. Sam really gets nothing in the show :p

That's not what it means.

Blay wrote: »
    That's not what it means.

Ah yeah I forgot, that was after the wildling invasion attempt :o nothing to see here people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Loved it!

Arya and the Hound stole it. Loved Arya as a cold blooded killer.

I enjoyed Oberyn. He's like a vampire. Very alpha.

Wasn't too impressed by the new Daario Naharis. Thought the last guy had better attitude even if he looked wrong. New guy just looks and feels wrong.

Advertisement