Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good economic news thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭glacial_pace71

frankbrett wrote: »
    Indeed you can get a Euro account in an AUD bank

https://www.anz.com/resources/d/8/d8f1960046d35bcd99569dff59dc78ef/RateSheet-FCA220413.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

0% interest. As you won't get the base currency rate as this is a function of the relative supply and demand/cost of funds of AUD, not EUR.

Otherwise a massive arbitrage would be available to all Euro Sovereigns to borrow in Euroland and invest abroad at higher rates. EUR deposit rates are at basement level as institutions will lend to each other for close to zero to avoid being penalised for holding cash due to the ECB deposit rate being negative.
    Exactly. I think the Australian financial institutions had already been around the block with the Yen carry trade for a decade or more and so are more au fait with zero/negative interest rates in one currency being used for a play in another economy. The ECB drama here is still only raising awareness levels of how those outside the eurozone have been dealing with this situation in many similar guises.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

Thank you Frank, I think you're wrong.

http://australia.deposits.org/

And before you say it, most of these banks will facilitate a euro account

The only place you'll get that interest rate is probably Greece!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Indeed you can get a Euro account in an AUD bank

https://www.anz.com/resources/d/8/d8f1960046d35bcd99569dff59dc78ef/RateSheet-FCA220413.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

0% interest. As you won't get the base currency rate as this is a function of the relative supply and demand/cost of funds of AUD, not EUR.

Otherwise a massive arbitrage would be available to all Euro Sovereigns to borrow in Euroland and invest abroad at higher rates. EUR deposit rates are at basement level as institutions will lend to each other for close to zero to avoid being penalised for holding cash due to the ECB deposit rate being negative.

For the average retail punter, they'll get zero return as I have done on my U.S. dollar account here. However, a sovereign can negotiate a rate if it places funds with an institution for 3 month, 6 month, 12 month period. Even if it's less than the rate that it's borrowed at, it is something of a return.

Sheldons Brain
    Quote:
    Ot that interest rate is probably Greece!

As for placing deposits in Greece, I wouldn't advise that unless you want it back in New Drachma.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭frankbrett

For the average retail punter, they'll get zero return as I have done on my U.S. dollar account here. However, a sovereign can negotiate a rate if it places funds with an institution for 3 month, 6 month, 12 month period. Even if it's less than the rate that it's borrowed at, it is something of a return.

Sheldons Brain
    Quote:
    Ot that interest rate is probably Greece!

As for placing deposits in Greece, I wouldn't advise that unless you want it back in New Drachma.

Something of a return is still negative cost of carry, which is larger the further out the curve you go to borrow and increases refinancing risk if done at the short end. sovereigns have limited risk appetite for currency or credit risk and assets are typically cash or low yielding short-term instruments as liquidity policy would dictate monies are available to meet obligations in the short term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0610/707078-esri/

"The Irish economy is to continue to enjoy strong growth over the next 18 months, according to the Economic and Social Research Institute.

In its latest Quarterly Economic Commentary, the ESRI says Ireland's gross domestic product will grow by 4.4% this year and 3.7% in 2016."

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I'm going to start a Bad news economic news thread

nice_guy80 wrote: »

Probably best to wait until 2028 or so, when people will sneer at your thread and suggest that you commit suicide, but the thread will fill up a year or so later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'm going to post good news in it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

You go do that tiger.

Good man yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Joe Duffy, Ray Darcy, Matt Cooper, Shane Ross & Vinnie Browne have that market cornered

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

AKA every other thread in this forum.

andrew wrote: »
    AKA every other thread in this forum.

When there's some positive political news, let me know.

OK, I'll call it a realistic economic news thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

When there's some positive political news, let me know.

OK, I'll call it a realistic economic news thread.

Worst. Thread. Ever.

Ah, great work guys. Really good job by all concerned.

*high fives*

http://economic-incentives.blogspot.ie/2015/06/debt-in-ireland-is-around-260-per-cent.html

A rather complicated and detailed article, but the headline captures most of it:

"Debt in Ireland is around 260 per cent of GDP and falling"

The debt referred to is total debt - Government debt (now down close to 100% of GDP), household debt and corporate debt.

The trend is definitely very good news even if the total level still needs to come down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Seamus Coffey does some good stuff.
    Another really interesting post is
    http://economic-incentives.blogspot.ie/2015/06/the-rise-in-aggregate-wages-and.html

There is one chart here that should inform the public pay debate
    Wages%252520Paid%252520%252528Index%252529_thumb%25255B1%25255D.png?imgmax=800

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Sure just open any thread in After Hours and it's all doom and gloom

http://www.finance.gov.ie/sites/default/files/Exchequer%20Returns%20end%20June%202015%20information%20note.pdf

"Tax revenue of €20,622 million was collected to end-June 2015 and is €805 million (4.1%) above profile"

"Overall net voted expenditure for end-June 2015, at €20,415 million, was 1.5% or €304 million below profile"

Very significant and it means the deficit will be over €1bn lower than expected.

Great news! In your face, Sir Richard Boyd Barrett!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭frankbrett

Godge wrote: »
    http://www.finance.gov.ie/sites/default/files/Exchequer%20Returns%20end%20June%202015%20information%20note.pdf

"Tax revenue of €20,622 million was collected to end-June 2015 and is €805 million (4.1%) above profile"

"Overall net voted expenditure for end-June 2015, at €20,415 million, was 1.5% or €304 million below profile"

Very significant and it means the deficit will be over €1bn lower than expected.

Most of that tax revenue comes from the massive pay packets of the 'figure massagers' employed by the government and right wing media. Da peeple aren't fooled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Most of that tax revenue comes from the massive pay packets of the 'figure massagers' employed by the government and right wing media. Da peeple aren't fooled.

Sounds spurious. Any evidence to back this up?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

fxotoole wrote: »
    Sounds spurious. Any evidence to back this up?
    Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Actually the figures are controlled by Dennis o'Brien's minions, the green lizard men from the yagob system. Trust nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Any good news is being swallowed up by the mess going on in Athens.

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    Any good news is being swallowed up by the mess going on in Athens.

It is good news. People viewing Syrizas nutty actions and their consequences are less likely to vote for our leftie loons.

:)

Saipanne wrote: »
    It is good news. People viewing Syrizas nutty actions and their consequences are less likely to vote for our leftie loons.

:)

Won't FG look like right geniuses when Greece gets a large debt write down and very favourable loans from the Troika to help them over the next 3 years, until the next crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Greyian

Won't FG look like right geniuses when Greece gets a large debt write down and very favourable loans from the Troika to help them over the next 3 years, until the next crisis.

Ah yes, an Ireland where some of our debt is written off, but the ATMs are running out of cash, the banks are closed and food/medical supplies are running low, along with some people not getting paid their wages. What a place to live!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Or Syriza and their supporters if they end up with a similar deal as us, for a hell of a lot more drama and economic hardship on Greek citizens.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Advertisement