Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good economic news thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

The annual decrease is nearly 34,000 or 8%, the real question is are they taking up jobs? Well, as income tax is up, this may well be the case.

This is a double benefit for the public finances, less dole and more tax.
    There were some figures about long term unemployed that were less encouraging.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

ardmacha wrote: »
    This is a double benefit for the public finances, less dole and more tax.
    There were some figures about long term unemployed that were less encouraging.

Triple benefit if you count the extra tax generated from their increase in disposable income whether that be through VAT/excise duty/DIRT etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭Villa05

While a job is great, I heard nonan on the radio saying that the new jobs are low paid (difference between income tax and prsi receipts)

This points to rising house prices and rents being unsustainable.

Lower house prices will be positive for the economy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Good loser

Heard of five people turning up for a new job a few weeks ago. Only one came back after dinner!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

The growth in the economy is as a result of the borrowed billions trickling down through society. When it has finish trickling down, the economy will fall back into the abyss, the only difference will be the extra billions the country will owe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

2.3 billion deficit per quarter still equals 9.2 billion for the year roughly.

Still not much to write home about considering 14 of 16 departments beat their spending targets. It seems like the targets are not set high enough

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Still not much to write home about considering 14 of 16 departments beat their spending targets. It seems like the targets are not set high enough
    The last quarter of the year is normally in profit I think Self employed tax returns in October than Christmas spending in December.

Possibly not actually the figures I have found were.

11.5b deficit for 2013

with 7.3b of that up until August which would leave the final quater deficit at 4.2b.

And for the two departments who did not beat their spending targets, presumably in this case the target was too high?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

And for the two departments who did not beat their spending targets, presumably in this case the target was too high?

I suppose that depends on which of the other two possible outcomes occurred for each of the two departments.

I would say that I would prefer to look at several years of data rather than a single year. If a department is constantly overspending, then either its budget is too low or its financial planning is poor ( or a bit from column A and bit from column B). If it overspends due to a once off payment in a single year, then its probable that that neither a budget nor financial planning problem exists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

The growth in the economy is as a result of the borrowed billions trickling down through society. When it has finish trickling down, the economy will fall back into the abyss, the only difference will be the extra billions the country will owe.

Did you read the links - the budget deficit is coming down. Borrowing is slowing down but unemployment is still coming down. Let's keep a realistic perspective on this.

As others have pointed out there isn't a linear relationship between quarterly deficits and annual deficits.

As for spending there is only one issue of concern - current spending on Health (€55m over budget), haven't we heard this one before.

• Advertisement

Godge wrote: »
    Did you read the links - the budget deficit is coming down. Borrowing is slowing down but unemployment is still coming down. Let's keep a realistic perspective on this.
    Large or small, a deficit is still a deficit and every year the country runs a deficit the enormous debt grows even bigger.

Unemployment is coming down because the internal economy has been stimulated with borrowed money. In others words people are buying and selling to each other with the money the country borrowed. Unfortunately, the money still has to be repaid with interest to the foreign entities from which it has been borrowed. Therefore the country will revert to the economic abyss of 2008 but this time it will have even more debt to pay off.

Large or small, a deficit is still a deficit and every year the country runs a deficit the enormous debt grows even bigger.

Unemployment is coming down because the internal economy has been stimulated with borrowed money. In others words people are buying and selling to each other with the money the country borrowed. Unfortunately, the money still has to be repaid with interest to the foreign entities from which it has been borrowed. Therefore the country will revert to the economic abyss of 2008 but this time it will have even more debt to pay off.

This is simplistic. The government was borrowing more last year and unemployment was also higher, so any change in unemployment is not caused by borrowing but by other positive forces in the economy (although perhaps supported by ECB measures elsewhere). The money does have to be repaid, but at the lowest interest rates in recent history.

It is modest good news, but good none the less and the Central Bank has a similar opinion

Th biggest threat to Ireland's modest progress is the state of the Eurozone generally.

This is simplistic. The government was borrowing more last year and unemployment was also higher, so any change in unemployment is not caused by borrowing but by other positive forces in the economy

It is modest good news, but good none the less and the Central Bank has a similar opinion

Regarding your first point I would say that economies being big cumbersome things take time to respond to stimulus - so that is the explanation, it has nothing to do with "other forces".

I had to laugh at your second point. The central banks across the entire developed world are trying to "talk up" their economies. That is a sure sign of looming catastrophe. I understand your intentions are good but I feel a moral duty to tell people that the policy of stimulus was never going to work. It will end very badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭SupaNova2

I understand your intentions are good but I feel a moral duty to tell people that the policy of stimulus was never going to work. It will end very badly.

It depends what is meant by working. It can be seen as working, if working means kicking the can.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭ILikeBananas

I think you're missing the point of the thread. I don't think the OP was issuing a challenge and needed someone to come in and prove them wrong. They're just trying to create a little bit of sunshine in what can otherwise be a very negative sub-forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Trying being the operative word and seems to be failing as well. I left Ireland in 2011 by choice (I had a job) and don't plan on going back anytime soon.

Place is still in the gutter and whee i see the likes of that working couple getting a big write down and keeping the banks house it makes me even happier that I am not funding the system with my taxes.

Trying being the operative word and seems to be failing as well. I left Ireland in 2011 by choice (I had a job) and don't plan on going back anytime soon.

Place is still in the gutter and whee i see the likes of that working couple getting a big write down and keeping the banks house it makes me even happier that I am not funding the system with my taxes.

More news.

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2014/0409/607779-unemployment/

While unemployment went up in the OECD overall, it fell significantly in Ireland as we have seen already in this thread. This means Ireland is performing well compared to the rest of the OECD.

On the other point, the news isn't so good for many of the rest of those with distressed mortgages.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0409/607741-finance-committee/

2,000 - 4,000 PTSB customers face repossession. While that may be necessary from an economic point of view, it is still very distressing for the individuals involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

ESRI get into the good mood music, let's hope their record is better than usual.
    In its latest quarterly economic commentary, the ESRI said it expected output and employment growth this year and next to be at least as strong as 2013.

The ESRI concentrates instead on GNP, which it said will grow by 3.5% this year, and 3.7% next year, after a 3.3% rise last year.

This will be driven by an annual increase of 50,000 in the numbers in work and a 10% rise in investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

A lot of positive news.

Don't know about anyone else but I can sense things are getting better overall even before looking at statistics. Hope it continues.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Don't know about anyone else but I can sense things are getting better overall even before looking at statistics. Hope it continues.

Yep, I think there is a feeling of recovery in Dublin but it is fragile elsewhere to say the least. The biggest danger is that we will have a two speed economy in Ireland, the Dublin economy and then the rest of Ireland. Same thing has happened in England with London / South East as compared to everywhere else.

The housing crisis in Dublin would want to be sorted fairly lively though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 where_am_i

Godge wrote: »
    More news.

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2014/0409/607779-unemployment/

While unemployment went up in the OECD overall, it fell significantly in Ireland as we have seen already in this thread. This means Ireland is performing well compared to the rest of the OECD.

On the other point, the news isn't so good for many of the rest of those with distressed mortgages.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0409/607741-finance-committee/

2,000 - 4,000 PTSB customers face repossession. While that may be necessary from an economic point of view, it is still very distressing for the individuals involved.

their are an incredibly low number of reposessions in this country compared to the likes of the uk , up to now it was politically difficult for banks to be seen evicting people , that will have to change however

ESRI get into the good mood music, let's hope their record is better than usual.
    In its latest quarterly economic commentary, the ESRI said it expected output and employment growth this year and next to be at least as strong as 2013.

The ESRI concentrates instead on GNP, which it said will grow by 3.5% this year, and 3.7% next year, after a 3.3% rise last year.

This will be driven by an annual increase of 50,000 in the numbers in work and a 10% rise in investment.

GNP growth is being driven by the domestic economy and exports. The recovery is hidden in the GDP figures because of the patent cliff effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭rightwingdub

where_am_i wrote: »
    their are an incredibly low number of reposessions in this country compared to the likes of the uk , up to now it was politically difficult for banks to be seen evicting people , that will have to change however

I read a quote in the Irish Indo from a few days ago stating that there was only 700 repos in Ireland between the beginning of 2010 up till the end of 2013.

People who are more than 720 days in arrears need to be evicted regardless of whether the properties are buy to let or family homes. I'm fed up of the emotional sentiment that is attached towards repos in this country, It's 2014 not the 19th century.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

200+ redundancies at Certus (Formerly BOSI) announced today.

200+ redundancies at Certus (Formerly BOSI) announced today.

Ouch have you got a link, a mate of mine works in Certus.

Ouch have you got a link, a mate of mine works in Certus.

It will probably be in the media on Monday.

I'm gutted, my dept is unaffected, I wouldn't have minded taking some monies & moving on.

It will probably be in the media on Monday.

I'm gutted, my dept is unaffected, I wouldn't have minded taking some monies & moving on.

My mate is a Credit Analyst, Is that department effected?

My mate is a Credit Analyst, Is that department effected?

Quite possibly.

Obviously teams will retain a few staff, but large areas are being let go.

Fingers crossed for everyone the redundancy package is as good as last time.

Quite possibly.

Obviously teams will retain a few staff, but large areas are being let go.

Are the redundancies voluntary or compulsory?

How many people are currently working in Certus?

• Advertisement

Are the redundancies voluntary or compulsory?

How many people are currently working in Certus?

There are still over 800 staff all told.
    There are still offices in cork, sligo, Waterford that will also lose out

It will be voluntary at first..... But if not enough people apply for VR, then the remainder will be compulsory.

Advertisement