Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most disappointing season finale?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Ann Landers

Breaking Bad's finale was pretty terrible. And certainly not in keeping with the rest of the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Dexter and Chuck - re Chuck, there are no excuses the writers knew it was the last series but they just let it limp on to a very unsatisfactory conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Breaking Bad's finale was pretty terrible. And certainly not in keeping with the rest of the show.

Breaking Bad's finale was alright but a foregone conclusion. The real finale was Ozymandias two episodes before which was an incredible episode. The last one just felt like an epilogue and there were no real twists. Not their best certainly, the show did peter out a little the last couple of episodes, Usain Bolt jogging his last 10 metres in Beijing comes to mind.
    Also it pissed me off that Walt died pretty much getting what he wanted again yet on the same token Jesse's life is completely ruined beyond all repair and they don't even attempt to tackle what he's going to do.They went so out of their way to make Jesse a chew toy over the course of the series that they didn't know what to do with him afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

There's a few shows I've been disappointed with, but nothing could touch Dexter's botched finale. A lot of shows I'd have issue with don't actually qualify really, as most of them were cancelled as opposed to ended. I was actually angry about Dexter for days afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

breaking bad and dexter are the 2 best example of how to end and not end a show, they aired within a week of each other and were so different it was just unbelievable to see how right and wrong each show got it,

dexter i honestly think was a huge lack of fan understanding on the writers part, they thought we loved this guy and he should have some kind of unhappy end to his life, where in fact we wanted him to have a very bad torturous end to his life, he was a serial killer FFS, from what i understand they were told by Showtime who make the show, that the end should be open ended in case they want to do a 24, hopefully not, one end was bad enough, never mind a second one,

breaking bad on the other hand was handled perfectly, all the loose ends were tied up, unlike dexter everyone in the shows world saw walt for what he had become, walt himself knowing he had become a monster and doing what he could to rectify some of the wrongdoings he had done over the course of the series, there was no interference from AMC who make the show, id say they wanted another 2-3 seasons as the show was huge successful for them, but it was Vince Gilligan who created the show was the one that decided this is where the story ends, and its great that AMC didn't force the issue and we end up the show taking a dive in quality

lost i thought was a great ending, i never understand why so many people hated it, some mysteries remain unsolved, but not every one has to be solved, but i think for the most part everything was answered in one way or the other, some people understood the answers, and other rejected the answers completely, at the end of the day it was a sci-fi show so the answers we were given are gonna be strange, the two main ones most people mention are about the polar bears, and that they were all dead all along, the polar bears were brought to the island by Darma, they were on the second smaller island where sawyer and kate were kept in the cages made for the bears, they swam over to the main island after darma were kicked out, in the final season we saw a sideways universe where the plane didnt crash it landed in LA just like it was supposed to, this was the purgatory that everyone thought the island was, not the island itself, even as their in the church in the last episode, ben and hurley are outside talking about their time in charge of the island together, hurley was the leader and ben was his number two, its amazing how many people didnt even pick up on that,

• Advertisement

spiralism wrote: »
    Breaking Bad's finale was alright but a foregone conclusion. The real finale was Ozymandias two episodes before which was an incredible episode. The last one just felt like an epilogue and there were no real twists. Not their best certainly, the show did peter out a little the last couple of episodes, Usain Bolt jogging his last 10 metres in Beijing comes to mind.
    Also it pissed me off that Walt died pretty much getting what he wanted again yet on the same token Jesse's life is completely ruined beyond all repair and they don't even attempt to tackle what he's going to do.They went so out of their way to make Jesse a chew toy over the course of the series that they didn't know what to do with him afterwards.

It was just a box-ticking exercise.

Hated, and I mean *really* hated the way the
    Nazis where taken down
    ridiculous.

Also, that Lydia *happened*
    to take the stevia sachet that contained ricin. Watch the scene, he didn't do it will they were talking. Would even Walt put the general public at risk like that?
    don ramo wrote: »
    breaking bad on the other hand was handled perfectly, all the loose ends were tied up

That's exactly why it was terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Wereghost

Battlestar Galactica for the colonials' complete and categoric refusal to learn any moral lessons, not to mention the writers' sloppy approach to plot continuity and character continuity. And that's to say nothing of the fact that
    Helo and Athena, two de facto cylon agents in the sense of being inimical to the colonials' survival,
    weren't seen to get their comeuppance. Though maybe they did soon enough afterwards.

I would hold Angel's series finale up as a bona fide example of how to end a show. It was fast-moving, sharply-scripted, witty, poignant and concise; an episode that ends the show while exemplifying its strengths. The final shot may initially disappoint, but on rewatching or further consideration it appears to be a fine way to end the show; making the point that the quest for redemption never really concludes.

Breaking Bad's finale was a suitable conclusion (I can allow them that thing with the car), tying things up in an appropriate fashion shortly after the scintillating events of recent episodes.

I'm not as critical by Dexter's conclusion as some. My biggest gripe is one if personal preference, whereby
    I wanted Debs' story to have a reasonably upbeat ending
    . But I don't tend to mark the episode down because of that; it stretches credibility, but then the show had been doing that on a frequent basis anyway.

Hated, and I mean *really* hated the way the Nazis where taken down ridiculous

Also, that
    Lydia *happened* to take the stevia sachet that contained ricin.
    Watch the scene, he didn't do it will they were talking. Would even Walt put the general public at risk like that?

That's exactly why it was terrible.
    yeah watch the scene again, there was
    only one sachet in there, lydia asked the waiter for more, as she had just used the last one, their not gonna show walt adding the sachet,
    as that would ruin the surprise,

it hilarious how no matter how well you do something, there will always ALWAYS be people who dont like it,

breaking bad is probably one of the most definitive ending to a show ever. there no speculation, no rumors that it may return, not everyone likes speculative ending and breaking bad proved that, your the first person i have come across that didnt like it,

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Folks, spoiler tags please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

For me the ending/final series of Nip/Tuck was extremely disappointed.

Granted the show had always been far fetched but atleast in a consistent way. But when it came to the end characters we hadn't seen for years suddenly reappeared and most characters spiraled out of control. e.g Matt the mime...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Also, that Lydia *happened*
    to take the stevia sachet that contained ricin. Watch the scene, he didn't do it will they were talking. Would even Walt put the general public at risk like that?
    she picked that sachet because it was the only one walt left at the table she had to ask the waiter for more. He also knew exactly what table they would sit and at what time and day, so had it planned to a T, i dont think anyone was at risk, even at that i dont know if he'd care after what he became.

But it was just box ticking they just were tying up loose ends no twists or anything just a straight up finale.

EDIT: beaten to it how i missed that post just above mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Wereghost wrote: »
    Battlestar Galactica for the colonials' complete and categoric refusal to learn any moral lessons, not to mention the writers' sloppy approach to plot continuity and character continuity. And that's to say nothing of the fact that
    Helo and Athena, two de facto cylon agents in the sense of being inimical to the colonials' survival,
    weren't seen to get their comeuppance. Though maybe they did soon enough afterwards.

Are you kidding me?

What more lessons, could they learn in reality?
    creating alliance with some of your exterminators, wanting to live in peace? All of which they were opposed to but came around too.

And this was after been held in concentration camps.

The trial of Baltar and Lee's Speech. Adama warming up to Athena and subtle respect for her

Was the nuclear holocaust and the utter and complete destruction of their world and lets be honest their tech (on the 1st day), lives, extended family, not moral lesson x1000000 over. And to be reminded of it everyday.

If BSG was real, the way they reacted would admirable (maybe even a little too hopeful)

The show was never less than surprising in this regard.

Most shows manage to make you take a viewpoint, but I understood all the characters situation in BSG. Even Baltar and Roslin by the end, were at a point were they agreed to disagree, and the malice was almost gone, they were tired. I don't think a show has ever depicted existential exhaustion and physical weariness like BSG
    The moral lessons wasn't that they forgave them, in all likelihood, they never would, but what sense was there keeping it going

Cylons and Colonials realised this very early in the series.

BSG was truly fearless and had its character learning moral lessons all the time and and having it mean something,
    ALL the characters went though the ABSOLUTE ringer, that by journey's end, they felt like different people, it had some of the best arcs I've ever seen in storytelling, unlike BB, that while fearless also felt pointless (and gratitious ultimately), it didn't have anything good to say about the human condition/spirit. And almost nobody in BB took their chance/way out when a moral lesson was staring at them, it was all self inflicted.

yeah watch the scene again, there was only one sachet in there, lydia asked the waiter for more, as she had just used the last one, their not gonna show walt adding the sachet, as that would ruin the surprise

Surprise? It was SO obvious what was going to happen there.
    And there was actually a few sachets there. Even if there was only one, he'd have to be sure she'd sit there. Even if it was her usual seat, someone else could nab it first.

And whether it was "done well" is purely a matter of opinion. In mine, it wasn't. I might be the first person you've come across who didn't like it, but I actually know a lot of people who didn't. A lot of Breaking Bad fans do have a slight tendency to be uncritical of it. My boyfriend is a diehard BB fan, watched it from the very beginning and was blue in the face trying to get people to watch. He was bitterly disappointed with the finale.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭srocliffe

What???

I thought it was great and was probably my favorite season finale of any show ever, finally a show that stayed consistent throughout and didn't have a disappointing ending, like so many others had.

Surprise? It was SO obvious what was going to happen there.
    im just gonna call complete BS on that, and just mark you as a troll, goodbye:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Breaking Bad was a great finale. I can't see how it could have gone any other way tbh. It was a fitting end. Although as mentioned, Ozymandius was really the end,nth last 2 episodes were the epilogue. I cannot ever remember a show where I was so gripped by the final episodes. Powerful stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I'd go with Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles and Deadwood for bad finales only where all the loose ends were not tied up.

For planned finales I was disappointed with B Galactica and Lost.

Breaking Bad is a strange one. It went in the direction I wanted it go for each of the main characters I just felt it was an average episode of BB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

To me the entirety of Season 5 of BB was kind of a box ticking exercise. Hated the way they constantly
    shoved Jesse into a corner and kicked him while he was down
    . Found the end of S4 more wholly satisfying and left you ambivalent about Walt in the best possible way.

The irony of the final episode is that it tries so hard to satisfy that it ends up kinda unsatisfying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Breaking Bad was a great finale. I can't see how it could have gone any other way tbh. It was a fitting end. Although as mentioned, Ozymandius was really the end,nth last 2 episodes were the epilogue. I cannot ever remember a show where I was so gripped by the final episodes. Powerful stuff.

Wasn't that impressed to be honest...the show just petered off for the last 2/3 episodes

im just gonna call complete BS on that, and just mark you as a troll, goodbye:)

Why, because YOU didn't pick up on it, I'M a troll? :pac::D

C'mon, at the of the diner scene they even
    focus on her putting the "stevia" in the cup. Honestly don't know how anyone could have missed that if they were paying attention.

• Advertisement

e_e wrote: »
    The irony of the final episode is that it tries so hard to satisfy that it ends up kinda unsatisfying.

Yup, this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Wasn't that impressed to be honest...the show just petered off for the last 2/3 episodes

Thats a shame, I feel bad for people who didnt love it, I hate when a great show doesnt do it for me at the end. BB did it for me, different strokes I guess.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

To me the entirety of Season 5 of BB was kind of a box ticking exercise. Hated the way they constantly
    shoved Jesse into a corner and kicked him while he was down
    . Found the end of S4 more wholly satisfying and left you ambivalent about Walt in the best possible way.

The problem was the season 5 final episode was filmed for season 4 but as they were finishing up season 4 they got told they were funded for a 5th season. This is why it's so disjointed story wise as well between the first four seasons and the fifth. If you got the DVDs you can listen to the Season 4 finale directors comment when they mention this.
    sioda wrote: »
    I'm amazed no one had mentioned Space Above and Beyond cut down in its prime on a awful cliffhanger
    Page 1 :P
    Nody wrote: »
    Having said that Space: Above and Beyond by far takes the worst ending I can remember. Complete and utter cliffhanger and then, nothing... The worst part is that the team had a second season they could run but decided if it's only one season this is the ending they want (and I hate their guts for it :P ). Season 2 sounds like it would have been a really nice change of pace as well, esp. the last episode but such is life with Fox :(

Nody wrote: »
    The problem was the season 5 final episode was filmed for season 4 but as they were finishing up season 4 they got told they were funded for a 5th season.

But the Nazis weren't in it at that stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

But the Nazis weren't in it at that stage.
    They were terrible villains too after the more complex and nuanced Gus. It just smacked of lazy "Oh how can we make these guys more despicable? Let's make them nazis!" writing to me.

They were terrible villains too after the more complex and nuanced Gus. It just smacked of lazy "Oh how can we make these guys more despicable? Let's make them nazis!" writing to me.

Yeah. Well, Todd was a good character, but I hoped to see more of Declan, he would have been interesting.

Advertisement