Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most disappointing season finale?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Dallas, bobby in the shower the previous season was all a dream

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

The Battlestar finale was fantastic imo. Such a great ending.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Never saw beyond two epsiodes in Season 3 of Dexter when I gave up on the whole series so can't comment on that. Firefly was mentioned already (Fox has a tendency to cancel the shows I love; another reason to hate 'em!). I know my better half hated the end of Dr House (season 8 was really poorly done in general esp. the start of it all...) even though I liked it.

Having said that Space: Above and Beyond by far takes the worst ending I can remember. Complete and utter cliffhanger and then, nothing... The worst part is that the team had a second season they could run but decided if it's only one season this is the ending they want (and I hate their guts for it :P ). Season 2 sounds like it would have been a really nice change of pace as well, esp. the last episode but such is life with Fox :(

I'll also throw in White Collar there for now as the new season has not been confirmed and the ending was also very annoying cliffhanger moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭masti123

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Dexter is the obvious one.

the ending is not bad, its sad, but realistic. Most of the films and series have a good ending, where everybody is happy etc. , but this one is more authentic. in the end you cannot say "of course it was a happy ending".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭deisedude

masti123 wrote: »
    the ending is not bad, its sad, but realistic. Most of the films and series have a good ending, where everybody is happy etc. , but this one is more authentic. in the end you cannot say "of course it was a happy ending".

Your interpretation of realistic varies wildly from mine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,285 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Amber.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Flash forward! They knew they were cancelled and tried to do a satisfactory wrap up in one episode after building a complex story web for the first 21 episodes!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Dexter is the obvious one.

I'm still not able to watch the last 3 episodes. Sounds horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭deisedude

lertsnim wrote: »
    I'm still not able to watch the last 3 episodes. Sounds horrific.

I watched the first 4 seasons only recently and was reading how horrible the show went from there so went straight to season 8 finale

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

masti123 wrote: »
    Yeah, I mean, that person who takes their sister from the hospital and goes off into a storm and becomes a lumberjack is a cliché at this point so accurately it reflects reality.

Realistic? No. I wouldn't say the Dexter ending was a 'happy' one' nor did I need it to be. I needed it to not be some of the worst TV I'd ever seen, but that wasn't in the cards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Since people are going mad over HIMYM saying the season finale was the worst ever and all that, it got me thinking. What series finale really didn't live up to your expectations?

For me it was the season finale of Angel.
    Some loved the last scene but for me it was a let down. I would've loved to have seen if they won the fight and all that, instead of cutting it right before it began. Kinda think that scene would've been more suitable for a season finale or something!

Ghost Whisperer also annoyed me.
    Each season had such big plot points and always seemed to end on a cliffhanger, then in the next season it wasn't such a problem anymore, with pretty much no explanation. They just went on to the next big problem.

Looking forward to reading everyone's opinions :D

well ghost whisperer was cancelled without warning :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

moonlight. although technically not a finale. stupid writers strike put an end to that series even though it was riding high with the ratings and it was ended with so many storylines left totally opened :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

HIMYM, I felt cheated out of it. The entire last season was awful and drawn out to cover a
    doomed marriage
    and then to find out
    the mother was dead all along and his opening monologue to the kids every episode was him actually asking for their blessing to date 'Aunt Robin'
    What is worse the mother was actually the best part of the entire last season and as soon as we got to know her she had died of some mysterious illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

It wasn't bad but the Misfits' finale was just dull. That show should have ended after 2 seasons anyway, the last episode of season 2 (not counting the Christmas special) was perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

By far and away Lost....still get mad over it.
    Others definitely Dexter, Flashforward (then again the lead actor was crap), Jericho (cancelled) and The 4400's (cancelled.
    However the last two were excellent shows I thought.

I don't have a problem with people not liking the Lost finale (I loved it) but if it's because you think it was purgatory then you're wrong and you only have yourself to blame for your disappointment ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭certifiedcrepe

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    well ghost whisperer was cancelled without warning :(

Oh yeah I know and trust me I literally loved the show, I bought the series box set and all. It was just kinda annoying when they'd have issues through a whole season and end on a bit of a cliffhanger, but then the next season it seemed to be brushed under the carpet.

Truly loved the show though, and the "Weight of What Was" episode still to this day is one of the best episodes of anything I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

LOST

without

a

doubt

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Blazer wrote: »
    The 4400's (cancelled.
    The story is picked up in two books : "Promise City" and "Promises Broken". Unfortunately the second book also ends on a cliffhanger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Breaking Bad...went with a whimper

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I don't have a problem with people not liking the Lost finale (I loved it) but if it's because you think it was purgatory then you're wrong and you only have yourself to blame for your disappointment ;)

My memory of the finale was they all died and met up in afterlife and then moved on. But everyone was waiting for answers/payoff that never happened. I really felt sorry for the viewers who analysed every little detail thinking it meant something, it was these same viewer who also defended the finale like some weird stockholm syndrome and belittled those who didn't like it by saying the mustn't of understood it or it was about the characters and not the island:rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The ending of Lost was a massive middle finger to those who had followed the show to the end. It became clear in the final season that they had no clue how to tie up all the various mystery threads they had been spinning for years.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

donegal11 wrote: »
    My memory of the finale was they all died and met up in afterlife and then moved on. But everyone was waiting for answers/payoff that never happened. I really felt sorry for the viewers who analysed every little detail thinking it meant something, it was these same viewer who also defended the finale like some weird stockholm syndrome and belittled those who didn't like it by saying the mustn't of understood it or it was about the characters and not the island:rolleyes:.

I honestly don't mind when people complain about lack of answers. That's a personal choice that they wanted something different from the show that they didn't get, which I'm fine with. But misinterpreting the ending is completely different (even though it is open to interpretation at a certain level). The writers have said numerous times that the island was NOT purgatory and I think people who insist that it was are either trolls or are were just looking to hate the finale from the get-go. The purgatory theory doesn't even make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

I'm lucky enough i havent watch lost or that so dont really have many to say here. Possibly HIMYM is the most disappointing for me. Not the actual episode itself just the last few minutes of it, was a perfect chance 2-3 minutes before the end to end it and it wasnt taken which will always leave a bad taste in the mouth for me and many others.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

deisedude wrote: »
    I watched the first 4 seasons only recently and was reading how horrible the show went from there so went straight to season 8 finale

You did well, Season 4 is a masterclass on how to do a full season of a show - the other seasons didn't come close to matching it unfortunately. For the finale a friend had told me to turn it off when
    Dexter gets into his boat
    but of course I watched the whole thing and it was awful.

HIMYM deserves all it's mentions for the major cop out and of course Lost was just complete BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

L O S T

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭pah

I enjoyed Doll House, only watching it recently on netflix. I know it was cancelled but the 2 flash forward episodes at the end of each season were annoying as fukk

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Stargate Universe

In fairness they did a decent job all things considered but it shouldn't have been cancelled!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

I remember finding Season 4 of Lost absolutely remarkable in how it good it was. It genuinely felt like a conclusion was in mind.

I really hoping a war would come to the island (with a huge budget) and the Oceanic Airline and the US Army would be huge conspirators behind Dharma.

Gah but damn the way they handled season 5 and 6. Jesus.

One of the favourite aspects to the show was the snowglobe nightmarish aspect and there was certain keyholes on how to exit and get a signal in or off the landmass

For me the speculation in the first 3 seasons was huge as to what the worldwide reaction would be if such a bizarre landmass was found and publicly revealed/leaked and the ensuing media and personal chaos for the survivors. Yet it was never really hinted at or developed all that much and would have placed the show in a larger context. What would you do with such a place if it cured cancer, made people walk, what would it mean for humanity and who would control/have a right to it? Yet, It was a launching ground for great ideas that, honestly .....went nowhere.

THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN A GREAT WAY TO WRITE A SCI FI SHOW Would have been ACTUAL SCI FI WRITERS.

It could gone in a Jurrasic park esque direction. ****in hell even was Hawaii

Hell in the first few seasons it had a wonderful Spielberg sense of wonder and humanity with
    sci fi elements/survival elements. This could have been the better direction.

Bloody hell could have been a Star Trek for the 21st century.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,455 ✭✭✭sioda

I'm amazed no one had mentioned Space Above and Beyond cut down in its prime on a awful cliffhanger

Advertisement