Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most disappointing season finale?

Options
  • 02-04-2014 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭

Since people are going mad over HIMYM saying the season finale was the worst ever and all that, it got me thinking. What series finale really didn't live up to your expectations?

For me it was the season finale of Angel.
    Some loved the last scene but for me it was a let down. I would've loved to have seen if they won the fight and all that, instead of cutting it right before it began. Kinda think that scene would've been more suitable for a season finale or something!

Ghost Whisperer also annoyed me.
    Each season had such big plot points and always seemed to end on a cliffhanger, then in the next season it wasn't such a problem anymore, with pretty much no explanation. They just went on to the next big problem.

Looking forward to reading everyone's opinions :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Dexter is the obvious one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Star Trek: Voyager and Star Trek: Enterprise were both particularly bad although the Enterprise finale wins hands down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

In Angels defence, they thought they had another session and the cancellation came out the blue. They did do a comic though to wrap it all up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

Sherlock :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Lost. My favourite series ever.....until the last 10 minutes of the finale. Then it became obvious that the writers were literally making up the whole thing with no obviois clue about how to tie it all together and end it.

• Advertisement

That was obvious well before the finale.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭deisedude

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Dexter is the obvious one.

Agreed. Biggest heap of Sh1t i've ever seem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Terminator The Sarah Connor Chronicles, but only because it was left on the biggest cliffhanger of all time and it left in a such a way that you know how the whole saga will come too a close, but damn did I want to see it

Plus the last words are damn touching.

The only thing in that franchise that continued and improve upon the dark sci-fi/ themes of T1 and T2. The true continuation of James Cameron's work.

So evocative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Thought season 1 of The Killing (US remake version) was fairly frustrating, maybe it was to make sure they got a 2nd season but still, annoying.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,210 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

X Files finale was rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Always Dexter.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,237 ✭✭✭✭Penn

In Angels defence, they thought they had another session and the cancellation came out the blue. They did do a comic though to wrap it all up.

No, the end of Season 5 was always how it was supposed to end. They found out they were being cancelled about 8 episodes before the end, so they had to fast-track the ending and didn't get to do some additional stories they wanted, but the ending was how it was supposed to end.
    The whole theme of Angel was Redemption. Angel trying to redeem himself for all the bad things he'd done. They introduced the Shanshu Prophecy in Season 1 which would be a reward for Angel for doing enough good things to right his wrongs, but the point of the Season 5 finale was that you shouldn't do good things to earn a reward, and Angel gave up the chance to fulfill the Shanshu Prophecy in order to keep doing good things. The point of the series finale and not showing the huge battle is that you're never supposed to stop doing good things, regardless of whether you've done enough to fix all the bad things you've done.

Heroes is an obvious choice though I suppose it wasn't just the finale of it which was disappointing but the whole decline of the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,669 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Quantum Leap!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

Dexter finale was shi1te. I loved the Angel finale though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,306 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

The original show runner for Dexter wanted it to end with a shot of the camera pulling back from Dexter's face to reveal he was in the execution chamber about to get the needle and it had all been about him remembering his life

For me the finale of Battlestar Galactica annoyed me with the space angels or whatever they were

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Sherlock :mad:

Sherlock's not finished is it? :eek:

I'm going with HIMYM for mine. Everything about it was just awful. The pacing, the writing, the Mother's ending, Barney's ending... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Star Trek: Voyager and Star Trek: Enterprise were both particularly bad although the Enterprise finale wins hands down.

Enterprise was cancelled though wasn't it, so that was only a season finale as opposed to a series finale.

Firefly of course, again cancelled, although we did get the movie Serenity a bit later but still so many unanswered questions, two by two, hands of blue.....

Lost was the worst by a long shot (I haven't watched Dexter).

Surprised to see Battlestar Galactica mentioned, that's probably my favourite wrap up of a long show.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭minusthebear

Soprano's was the ultimate cop out

*hides*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Yep another vote for Dexter, tbf it if went on like 3 seasons too long, it was just dire in the end and I was only watching to see it through, in those last seasons they wreaked what was a very good show.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Fringe's finale wasn't great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,285 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Was disappointed with the House finale.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Skerries wrote: »
    The original show runner for Dexter wanted it to end with a shot of the camera pulling back from Dexter's face to reveal he was in the execution chamber about to get the needle and it had all been about him remembering his life

For me the finale of Battlestar Galactica annoyed me with the space angels or whatever they were

I don't get this argument tbh: Battlestar's supernatural elements were present from the first episode, so I'm not always sure why people get cranky about the finale when it stacks up against what had come before; the coda in
    modern-day NY
    was a little on the nose true, but from the get-go it was made clear there were other forces at work beyond the physical. Heck, the entire sequence set on Kobol near the end of series 1 was either massive, contrived coincidence and terrible scriptwriting, or God's work pushing the colonists forward.

I'd throw my own tuppence in with Dexter though; it's rare you'll watch a show hit such heights during the first half of its lifetime, only to plummet so spectacularly in the latter. Season 8 almost has to be seen to be believed, but better that people don't :)

Heroes series 1 also dropped the ball pretty badly back in the day; I'm sure other candidates will spring to mind.

Enterprise was cancelled though wasn't it, so that was only a season finale as opposed to a series finale.

The writing was on the wall for Enterprise at that point, going in to season 4 they likely knew it was the end anyway. They did manage to give it a series ending and the idea was decent enough (apart from suicidal Trip) but I'm still pissed we didn't get to see the speech! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Definitely, Val Falvey TD!! The poor auld divil ended up in prison after being set up! I'm sure there was supposed to be a second series but it did not take off and Val remains locked up?!?!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Dexter was fairly dodgy.
    But the worst was The Unit, not a popular show by any means but I was stuck into it. The show was canned and just ended abruptly at the end of S4.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'm guessing you mean series finale.

Dexter wasn't great.

I'll defend Angel simply because I looked at it as Joss just saying FU to the network for cancelling. :)

I'll also defend Quantum Leap since I liked it.

I wouldn't really blame shows that were cancelled unexpectedly either since the season finale is usually filmed before the cancellation is announced. Some shows get the chance to do a quick wrap up like Caprica and Pushing Daisies.

Enterprise was a planned finale in the sense they were told they were getting cancelled in time to write an ending. I wasn't too happy with it. The problem was that for the finale, the original showrunners/writers came back to do it. Considering the show only got good when they left, I don't know why anyone thought it would be a good idea to bring them back. Think my main issue was
    Trip's death was pointless and just seemed to happen for the sake of happening

I'd also class the Red John reveal in The Mentalist as the series finale and as being disappointing.

The X Files wasn't too good either.

And I think I'd have to say any series where they end it with the plan of doing a movie to wrap things up, since the movie usually doesn't happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

That'll be Deadwood OP, way too much unfinished business.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,012 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Seinfeld one was pretty poor given that the last series was excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 16,285 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Yamanoto wrote: »
    That'll be Deadwood OP, way too much unfinished business.

I think the cancellation there wasn't expected though, there was talk at the time of making an extra few episodes after about a year or so to wrap things up but it never happened.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

pixelburp wrote: »
    I don't get this argument tbh: Battlestar's supernatural elements were present from the first episode, so I'm not always sure why people get cranky about the finale when it stacks up against what had come before; the coda in
    modern-day NY
    was a little on the nose true, but from the get-go it was made clear there were other forces at work beyond the physical. Heck, the entire sequence set on Kobol near the end of series 1 was either massive, contrived coincidence and terrible scriptwriting, or God's work pushing the colonists forward.

I agree, BSG is what Lost was dying to be.

Hell, the name
    "Daybreak"
    is such a damn goosebump name for a finale after the darkness. No show ever made me feel I was trapped in the depths of deep space at the end of a society, with a family of people you couldn't help but love, because they felt real , had self awareness,and dared to ask questions about their situation (aka. Lost never did this let's be honest.It was the only show for me where you came out the other end of a journey.

I was absolutely certain the whole way through the last 10 episodes
    that they tear themselves apart, and break in two, the ship and the society and the show would end on the bleakest downer ever with everybody wiped out in some sort of nuclear exchange. I was delighted they didn't and decided that the best parts of human nature prevailed
    It was the
    most bittersweet ending I 've ever seen (the fact these were our ancestors and they just blended in, to be forgotten, wanting to JUST live their lives after PTSD and the end of this war was haunting and hit really close to home) Their **** it reaction, lets look to the future was as human as it gets

As an atheist/agnostic there depiction of God, non physical force, would be almost identical to a "higher force" if ever we find one. I thought that was brilliant and those elements and the music elevated the show to a place of genius.

Plus
    Earth looked a like lush paradise, NatGeographic eat your heart out, I actually thought they went to Africa to film it, it was well earned after all the heartache, 150,000 years ago was a wonderful surprise

It's Lord of the Rings for TV, yet never felt for TV.

Advertisement