Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delay email batch!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭student15

If they actually wanted a higher standard than it is presently, why didn't they set that standard higher?

As it is, we shouldn't have to prove ourselves again!

Not using this a medium for arguing, this is meant to be used for positive.
    I'm saying go for it again and use the experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Sdcharger

What an absolute joke, dont mind doing the AC again, but the IST ffs ?

Hardly an absolute joke, you are up against new candidates and if you score the same as them in the AC and they are forced to use IST score to separate candidates it is hardly fair that they have done a completely different test to the one that you have done. It is only fair with a whole new recruitment campaign as you are up against all new applicants that everyone has a level playing field.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

Forgive me if i am wrong, but are aptitude tests not broadly similar to each other, as in not any easier or difficult?

If that is the case, as i believe it to be, then i think it's a bit of a pain in the ass to sit through again !

Anyway, not much i can do now but just battle through it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Orrzo

Okay tensions seem high around here, yes its frustrating to think that only 200 may be taken this time round but unfortunately life can be unpredictable - police work is unpredictable! There is no point getting stressed out about all of this. This figure of 200 could even be a communication error OR they are running an initial wave of 200 to see how many dropouts etc there are from the squads/ iron out any problems before they commit to offering places to more people in the appointable band. There could be any number of reasons! Bottom line is its out of our control. What will be will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Dekkers

Choobs wrote: »
    If they lose more than a handful I'd imagine they'd either increase the numbers in later intakes or add another intake at a push. I doubt they'd let people drop out in significant numbers and be in danger of not having enough to meet the minimum required for the service

Just carrying this over so it doesn't derail one of the official 'stage' threads.

I'm not sure this is necessarily the case. Although, I've no idea of the veracity of the numbers mentioned I wouldn't be surprised if 7 people had failed to attend the induction of the 1st squad and therefore prevented another 7 people from taking this opportunity. 7 places in GV is not an insignificant number at this stage in the recruitment process.

Just wanted to make this point and encourage anyone who finds themselves accepting an offer and then changing their mind to please inform the PSNI of your decision through the official channels so that the position may be offered to another candidate. It could make all the difference to any 1 of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭whatinthe

You are not out, until you're told you are out.

Calm down. Use this time to get sharp physically and mentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭col212

Sorry but i haven't read through the last few pages of posts in detail but has this number of 200 been confirmed by the psni?

col212 wrote: »
    Sorry but i haven't read through the last few pages of posts in detail but has this number of 200 been confirmed by the psni?

Not that i know of.

I do not mean any disrespect to anyone nor is this aimed at any one "boardie" but there have been many occasions throughout this campaign whereby someone has posted what they have heard and in turn it has created mass panic.
    Maybe im daft but im thankful for the boardie sharing this info on the 200.
    If it turns out to be viable info then atleast it wont come as a shock if we get a dear john saying you werent within the top 200 when we where aiming for top 400!!!
    If it turns out someone has gotten their wires crossed then all the better!
    Until an official statement is released im holding out hope for this campaign, setting myself up for the next one ....oh and continueing to watch police interceptors etc until silly o'clock in the morning when i should just go to bed :p

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭sweet chuck

I dont think the 200 number is correct. I would almost bet money on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭pcplod

I dont think the 200 number is correct. I would almost bet money on it.

im with u on that one.

• Advertisement

Orrzo wrote: »
    Not that i know of.

I do not mean any disrespect to anyone nor is this aimed at any one "boardie" but there have been many occasions throughout this campaign whereby someone has posted what they have heard and in turn it has created mass panic.
    Maybe im daft but im thankful for the boardie sharing this info on the 200.
    If it turns out to be viable info then atleast it wont come as a shock if we get a dear john saying you werent within the top 200 when we where aiming for top 400!!!
    If it turns out someone has gotten their wires crossed then all the better!
    Until an official statement is released im holding out hope for this campaign, setting myself up for the next one ....oh and continueing to watch police interceptors etc until silly o'clock in the morning when i should just go to bed :p

What's this police interceptors you speak of?

As hard as it is just try to take any info banded about on here with a pinch of salt. Just look at the '10 people chucked out over drug use' nonsense. We're all waiting in the dark as far as I can tell :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Sthm

Just my take on where this 200 number has potentially come from - the strength statistics from Feb 2014 were around 6,763[1] total regular officers and it has been stated that a minimum of 6,963[2] are needed i.e. a shortfall of around 200.

Nearly 200 officers left in 2013/14. If they take on 200 from this recruitment drive, numbers will be back down below operational needs within another year and it will create a yo-yo effect each year with operational needs constantly being stretched.

They had funding for 100 under 2013/14 and secured funding for a further 378 from this merit list. In my obviously biased sense, it wouldn't make sense to not maximise recruitment to the full extent that funding was allowed. They had a total of 727 candidates to put through the final stages, so let's remain positive anyone still waiting.

student15 wrote: »
    What's this police interceptors you speak of?

STUDENT15!

I find it hard to believe you're a student and you haven't stumbled across this little gem! Its a show featuring the U.K traffic police interceptor units. Lots of car pursuits, stop and searches on boy racers etc and a couple of laughs.... Worth a watch if youre bored :)
    New ones on Mondays @ 8 on Channel 5 - on demand has loads too

Orrzo wrote: »
    STUDENT15!

I find it hard to believe you're a student and you haven't stumbled across this little gem! Its a show featuring the U.K traffic police interceptor units. Lots of car pursuits, stop and searches on boy racers etc and a couple of laughs.... Worth a watch if youre bored :)
    New ones on Mondays @ 8 on Channel 5 - on demand has loads too
    Will investigate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭vickmackey

Dekkers wrote: »
    Just carrying this over so it doesn't derail one of the official 'stage' threads.

I'm not sure this is necessarily the case. Although, I've no idea of the veracity of the numbers mentioned I wouldn't be surprised if 7 people had failed to attend the induction of the 1st squad and therefore prevented another 7 people from taking this opportunity. 7 places in GV is not an insignificant number at this stage in the recruitment process.

Just wanted to make this point and encourage anyone who finds themselves accepting an offer and then changing their mind to please inform the PSNI of your decision through the official channels so that the position may be offered to another candidate. It could make all the difference to any 1 of us.
    well said .... it is amazing that people would go through the whole process and then pull out AFTER the offer.:eek:...and to think they may not have even told the HR dept is stiniking!:mad: 7 is not a large number overall if being replaced in next intakes (which i dont think is an issue thankfully), but is significant at such a small intake number, especially when so many awaiting that call.... best of luck to those in that enviable position.....but the more decline/dont show, the more chance for those of us still waiting further down the line...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭oztop1234

Did someone from the first squad not post somewhere that they still had full numbers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭boblaw88

Info came from Sergeants at presentation, I queried it after it was mentioned durung a presentation
    Didnt just pluck this number out of the air.

Civil service had E02's on merit for 2 years and them re opened applications and people didnt apply as they thought they were secured a job and missed the opportunity. Again not trying to get backs up, just a reality of public sector working.

The intent of the post was to encourage people to reapply as even if you are on merit, there may not be a place and if you dont , your waiting another year.

Prob last post Ill be making until Im out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭boblaw88

Info came from Sergeants at presentation, I queried it after it was mentioned durung a presentation
    Didnt just pluck this number out of the air.

Civil service had E02's on merit for 2 years and them re opened applications and people didnt apply as they thought they were secured a job and missed the opportunity. Again not trying to get backs up, just a reality of public sector working.

The intent of the post was to encourage people to reapply as even if you are on merit, there may not be a place and if you dont , your waiting another year.

Prob last post Ill be making until Im out of gville so best of luck to all!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Cromlech

Assuming the merit list runs out roughly this time next year, if the numbers were 200 then what would be the point of keeping the remainder of us waiting for the next stages? Especially those of us closer to the 60 mark. It would make no sense for them to continue processing us through the next stages, when the prospect of being offered a place is virtually non existent (even with dropouts/failures).

It would be more effective and less time consuming to issue an email/letter to those in that situation letting us know we would not make this intake, advising us of that fact with the suggestion of reapplying at the end of the month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 PT93

Realistically, does this new number of 200 leave anyone who has passed their PCA recently, received online learning and still got their medical to do with any hope?

PT93 wrote: »
    Realistically, does this new number of 200 leave anyone who has passed their PCA recently, received online learning and still got their medical to do with any hope?

I wouldn't be too worried if I was in this position. In order to get 40 appointees they have to process around 100 candidates (although that's just a rough working of the figures and not based on any facts).

So if the figure of 200 is true that means about 500 of us will be taken through the remaining stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 PT93

Thanks for the optimism mate. To come this far and after jumping through all the hoops, doing all the hard work like the IST, AC, PCA and then to just miss the intake because of a mark or two out at AC would be absolutely crushing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭LG1985

Hi Folks ...

Just joined .. I got 66 and still waitin on dates etc .. Anyone else with 66 still waiting?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭KT0903

LG1985 wrote: »
    Hi Folks ...

Just joined .. I got 66 and still waitin on dates etc .. Anyone else with 66 still waiting?

Hello & welcome! I'm a 66 & still waiting. Think there are one or two more of us aswell. Hopefully we will be in the next group to receive PCA dates.

Thanks!!

Glad i aint the only one!! Was startin to panic abit!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Gok0404

I'm 66 too. I'm hoping we are the next to go. Although gives us time to get the training in.

Yeah thats a positive!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 rekker

I scored low to mid 60's at AC and been told to apply again this campaign so I'm thinking I'm too far down the list to be progressed this time :( So I'm thinking they aren't putting through the 378 they initially intended to from this recruitment drive!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭oztop1234

Who told you to apply again?

Advertisement