Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

must have signed a 100 cap All Black or something !

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

For those who can't make the match, Brett Wilkinson will be joining Galway Bay FM for their radio coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Has the sportsground been renamed/sponsored? Heard a rumour

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Robbo wrote: »
    The PR machine has certainly gone into overdrive this week, having had a quiet summer.

Met Gerry Thornley in Clifden today- said was working on Connacht article so should have something in Times either tomorrow or Sat

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

For those who can't make the match, Brett Wilkinson will be joining Galway Bay FM for their radio coverage.

What's he up to these days post rugby retirement?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

What's he up to these days post rugby retirement?

Himself and Dan Parks are on a self proclaimed "year out".....basically playing golf and drinking pints.....aka, the dream!! :D:D

Mils ice bucket challenge!!
    https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152400970478562

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Already have my season ticket, but have a mate who's interested in getting one. Anyone know is the 10% discount offer still available for introducing new ST holders?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ouncer

Zzippy wrote: »
    Already have my season ticket, but have a mate who's interested in getting one. Anyone know is the 10% discount offer still available for introducing new ST holders?

Let's work the dragons game first. Likely is layden, niyi, leader, mcsharry, poolman, porter, carty. Sadly ain't going to work. Too many headless chickens. Layden has huge potential but requires leadership. Niyi hasn't even been involved. Leader doesn't play at 13, porter has not been a success, carrty has not played enough games to drag the thing together.

ouncer wrote: »
    Let's work the dragons game first. Likely is layden, niyi, leader, mcsharry, poolman, porter, carty. Sadly ain't going to work. Too many headless chickens. Layden has huge potential but requires leadership. Niyi hasn't even been involved. Leader doesn't play at 13, porter has not been a success, carrty has not played enough games to drag the thing together.

And we have no other options so I accept we lose the dragons game. This is the only back line we have left and its not great

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

And we have no other options so I accept we lose the dragons game. This is the only back line we have left and its not great

What do they have to face this? two 18 y-old centres, and Dixon is same age than Carty, Faletau only on the bench. So no, nothing to be pessimitic about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

McSharry and Poolman are in their 3rd year, young but experienced and can provide a totem for the team, especially McSharry if he can regain his form from season 1. Leader does play a fair bit of 13 so thats a bust. Porter has played 2 preseason and your writing him off?

FYI, we beat the dragons last year up front, not in the backs. Ouncer you really confound me at times

freyners wrote: »
    McSharry and Poolman are in their 3rd year, young but experienced and can provide a totem for the team, especially McSharry if he can regain his form from season 1. Leader does play a fair bit of 13 so thats a bust. Porter has played 2 preseason and your writing him off?

FYI, we beat the dragons last year up front, not in the backs. Ouncer you really confound me at times

We beat them last time. We don't have the quality to beat them this time

We beat them last time. We don't have the quality to beat them this time

And its not about one player over another. Its just a combined bunch of players. None have played together. I think it may not turn out well

Ouncer writing off the Connacht team before a ball is thrown..
    Ahhhhh Pro 12 is nearly here folks :pac:

wprathead wrote: »
    Ouncer writing off the Connacht team before a ball is thrown..
    Ahhhhh Pro 12 is nearly here folks :pac:

Tiz an opinion☺

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Sea_point

S12b wrote: »
    Himself and Dan Parks are on a self proclaimed "year out".....basically playing golf and drinking pints.....aka, the dream!! :D:D

He's working with NUIG Rugby U-20 Team, so obviously looking to build up his coaching options on top of is marketing degree he took while playing...

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Sea_point

S12b wrote: »

Wilko is working with NUIG Rugby U-20 Team this season, so obviously looking to build up his coaching options on top of is marketing degree he took while playing...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

There are no words......"Porter has not been a success"......Porter has not played a real game yet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭b.gud

Connacht line-up v Newport Gwent Dragons

15. Shane Layden
    14. Niyi Adeolokun
    13. Darragh Leader
    12. Dave McSharry
    11. Danie Poolman
    10. Jack Carty
    9. Ian Porter

1. Denis Buckley
    2. Dave Heffernan
    3. Nathan White
    4. Mick Kearney
    5. Quinn Roux
    6. John Muldoon ©
    7. Jake Heenan
    8. Eoin McKeon

Replacements:
    16. Sean Henry
    17. Finlay Bealham
    18. Rodney Ah You
    19. George Naoupu
    20. Willie Faloon
    21. Kieran Marmion
    22. Miah Nikora
    23. Conor Finn

Unavailable / Injured: Jason Harris-Wright, Tom McCartney, Andrew Browne, Mata Fifita, Bundee Aki, Mils Muliaina, Tiernan O’Halloran, Shane O’Leary, Robbie Henshaw, Matt Healy, John Cooney

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Have the Dragons strengthened their front row since we messed them up last time out?

I'm gutted to miss this as I think it'll be entertaining. In particular, I want to see how Niyi gets on.

Dragons team to face Connacht
    Lee Byrne (c), Tom Prydie, Tyler Morgan, Jack Dixon, Aled Brew, Jason Tovey, Jonathan Evans; Boris Stankovich, Elliot Dee, Lloyd Fairbrother, Andrew Coombs, Rynard Landman, Lewis Evans, Nic Cudd, Andy Powell.

Replacements
    T. Rhys Thomas, Owen Evans, Dan Way, Ian Gough, Taulupe Faletau, Dorian Jones, Geraint Rhys Jones, Barney Nightingale.

Have the Dragons strengthened their front row since we messed them up last time out?

I'm gutted to miss this as I think it'll be entertaining. In particular, I want to see how Niyi gets on.

The line up that day was was Owen Evans, Gustavon and Douglas

Only Evans in this squad today and he on bench

wprathead wrote: »
    The line up that day was was Owen Evans, Gustavon and Douglas

Only Evans in this squad today and he on bench

Any knowledge on the front row that they've gone with?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

b.gud wrote: »
    Connacht line-up v Newport Gwent Dragons

15. Shane Layden
    14. Niyi Adeolokun
    13. Darragh Leader
    12. Dave McSharry
    11. Danie Poolman
    10. Jack Carty
    9. Ian Porter

1. Denis Buckley
    2. Dave Heffernan
    3. Nathan White
    4. Mick Kearney
    5. Quinn Roux
    6. John Muldoon ©
    7. Jake Heenan
    8. Eoin McKeon

Replacements:
    16. Sean Henry
    17. Finlay Bealham
    18. Rodney Ah You
    19. George Naoupu
    20. Willie Faloon
    21. Kieran Marmion
    22. Miah Nikora
    23. Conor Finn

Unavailable / Injured: Jason Harris-Wright, Tom McCartney, Andrew Browne, Mata Fifita, Bundee Aki, Mils Muliaina, Tiernan O’Halloran, Shane O’Leary, Robbie Henshaw, Matt Healy, John Cooney

Marmion on the bench?

Tox56 wrote: »
    Marmion on the bench?

Ya there obviously wasn't huge trust in Blade. Here's the quote from Pat that went with the team announcement
    “Without scrumhalf John Cooney available to us just yet, the IRFU have been very flexible to us in allowing Ireland international Kieran Marmion to take a place on the bench in order to cover number 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Five very or relatively inexperienced players in that back line but it will be very interesting to see how they go. It is only the first game of the season but the unavailable list is already nearly a whole team worth of players (obviously not all injury related this time though).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

On an off-topic note (to the team selection), I was doing a google image search for Connemara aerial photography and somehow this popped up, hadn't seen it before - what the proposed upper tier on the Clan terrace would look like. Pretty impressive if it ever happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Happy with that team, Heff over Henry caught me by surprise but when JHW and TM come in he wont get many opportunities so it makes sense. Really hope the darts are tight for him, he has a if future at 2 if he can get them right.

Finn looking like the latest in academy product to be capped, hope he can make an impact.!

• Advertisement

Big game for Carty but even more so for Layden and, as Frey said, Heff.

Layden be battling with Leader, Henshaw, TOH and Mils (could add Carr to that list). Fair to say we all rooting for him- been so unlucky with injuries over past few seasons

As Freyners mentioned Heff could see limited chances with JHW and McCartney available so needs grab this opportunity
    b.gud wrote: »
    Any knowledge on the front row that they've gone with?

Tbh not really. Mix of youth and experience the press release said. Hope we have advantage there as White and Dennis solid scrumagers

Advertisement