Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Aye was Panter not Gaff on the wing- my mistake.

Anyone else thinking it be George and Kearney second row. Feeling that Fionn could be given FB spot aswell - will have to see sure

Thought Carty did well but still expect Nikora to start

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭b.gud

I think it's worth taking a second to note that this will be the first competitive game in 2 years that Marmion hasn't played in which is a serious achievement given the physicality of the game and the fact that he got his start from the academy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

connachta wrote: »
    Isn't Ah You concerned by the IRFU recovery program for this match? I think so

No Big Rod is available for round 1
    ouncer wrote: »
    So who's going to play centre in the pack. Very confused by this rugby stuff☺

Mick Kearney is nailed on and I have a feeling we might see Naoupu with him. If not, probably Roux until Muldowney is back

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    I have to jump in there and disagree with parts of that. Being a Corinthians supporter I would not have called the lad greedy at all, if anything I felt that his obvious talent of breaking the line was nothing but an asset to the team. I remember the first home game v Shannon and he broke the line on numerous occasions and each time put it on a plate for his wingers. The lad was as good as I have ever seen on that pitch and I believe that Dr Phil and the coaches gave him licence to play adventurous rugby. Connacht would not want that and a more structured game plan would be in order. Playing for Corinthians and then bringing that game plan into Connacht probably did not go down to well.

We seem to have a tendency in Irish rugby to want to stifle the line breaking 10's. we do for sure in Connacht and I am not a fan. I agree that the lad is in the mould of Madigan, it is a good comparison and for some reason his style of play is always seen as to risky as well.

I would point out that when this young fella came to Corinthians and played the first eight games (I think) we were unbeaten, top of the league for a while after beating Buccs (with a last minute penalty from O'Hagan) and when he got injured the team was not the same. We were by no means a one man team, but the fact still remains that he was a big player for us. We were fav's for relegation at the start of the season and Terenure were the best team by far, but we had some start to last season and it was a pleasure to watch. To go into the sportsground and watch penalty after penalty being missed after watching the young fella throwing them over from everywhere down in Cloonacauneen was mystifying to me and he did it for our 20's as well. Could never figure it out

I think that it is a sad indictment on Connacht coaching if what you say is true, that we have an undoubted talent who we feel that we can't bring on to the next level.........ulster watched him and they were in like a shot and they feel that they can coach him !

Sorry to bring up the Sean O'Hagan discussion again. I've heard about his accuracy from the tee and his Madigan esque style of play, but what was his kicking from hand like during his time for Corinthians?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

S12b wrote: »
    No Big Rod is available for round 1

Good news then:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Good news then:cool:

No it's not. He was one of our best players last season and only fell off towards the end of the season when he was tired.

its_phil wrote: »
    No it's not. He was one of our best players last season and only fell off towards the end of the season when he was tired.

I know, was even more obvious for Argentina and Clermont BUT still think he could be better than J.P Cooney/old White to play 60 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

I know, was even more obvious for Argentina and Clermont BUT still think he could be better than J.P Cooney/old White to play 60 minutes

White still has plenty to offer. His temper last season let him down but his performances were fine

freyners wrote: »
    White still has plenty to offer. His temper last season let him down but his performances were fine

There I don't really agree. Hope it will change, but since January and his yellow against Sarries, he's clearly behind Ah You

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

mogwai81 wrote: »
    Sorry to bring up the Sean O'Hagan discussion again. I've heard about his accuracy from the tee and his Madigan esque style of play, but what was his kicking from hand like during his time for Corinthians?

I would say in general that kicking from hand and tee was top drawer, the boot was huge. Massive kick on him. His big issue that I heard people talk about was game management and the risks that he ran by running so often. I do know that he was encouraged to do so by the Corinthians coach, it was his style. The point that I felt obliged to respond to was stating that he was not coachable? The lad was 18? Is he 19 now? How can anyone say that a lad who had one year in a sub academy at that age was not going to get better with good coaching? He is a well build lad as well, so I don't get it when that statement was made. Bags of room to improve, with the proper coaching he will come on leaps and bounds. Ulster are no mugs and to have thrown him in straight away in the pre-season friendlies shows faith in their own coaching and in the player. He wont get as much time on the ball in those games as he did in AIL last year, It is a huge step up for him and wish him nothing but the best.

I understand that he is in Ulster squad for the game v Leinster today, good luck to him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ouncer

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    I would say in general that kicking from hand and tee was top drawer, the boot was huge. Massive kick on him. His big issue that I heard people talk about was game management and the risks that he ran by running so often. I do know that he was encouraged to do so by the Corinthians coach, it was his style. The point that I felt obliged to respond to was stating that he was not coachable? The lad was 18? Is he 19 now? How can anyone say that a lad who had one year in a sub academy at that age was not going to get better with good coaching? He is a well build lad as well, so I don't get it when that statement was made. Bags of room to improve, with the proper coaching he will come on leaps and bounds. Ulster are no mugs and to have thrown him in straight away in the pre-season friendlies shows faith in their own coaching and in the player. He wont get as much time on the ball in those games as he did in AIL last year, It is a huge step up for him and wish him nothing but the best.

I understand that he is in Ulster squad for the game v Leinster today, good luck to him.

O'Hagan is done. Get over it. We have what we have. Lost marmion and henshaw for first game. Lost many other players thru injury. Ends up being a simple choice on first 15 but a hard call if that 15 can beat dragons who are truly a very poor team

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I wouldn't be so dismissive of the Dragons, they've recruited well over the Summer and finished (just) ahead of Connacht last season too.

O'Hagan is done. Get over it. We have what we have. Lost marmion and henshaw for first game. Lost many other players thru injury. Ends up being a simple choice on first 15 but a hard call if that 15 can beat dragons who are truly a very poor team

They are not anymore. they've beaten a full-strenght Northampton team. Andy Powell is apparently back to his greatest level, they have Faletau (except if he's still injured), Lee Byrne, other 30-y-old guys full of experience. We're not really the favourites, only outsiders. if we lost, i won't be too much worried, it could mean they are good for the 1st time since provinces have been created, not that we're necessarily bad

They are not anymore. they've beaten a full-strenght Northampton team. Andy Powell is apparently back to his greatest level, they have Faletau (except if he's still injured), Lee Byrne, other 30-y-old guys full of experience. We're not really the favourites, only outsiders. if we lost, i won't be too much worried, it could mean they are good for the 1st time since provinces have been created, not that we're necessarily bad

Can't agree. Dragons are in a struggle with treviso and zebre for the bottom of the table. If we can't win our first game then the rest of the season will be a struggle. Dragons are pants. If we can't best them we can't beat much

The overall quality of the game will tell who's right on this question, whoever wins

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Some of the players Dragons have recruited are
    Lee Byrne
    Aled Brew
    Jason Tovey
    Brok Harris (93 caps for the Stormers in the Super XV)
    Ligtorig Landman (a Currie Cup / Super XV play for various SA teams)
    Boris Stankovich (over 100 caps for Leicester but aging)
    Andy Powel (much maligned but could defo do a job at Pro12 level)

They've also won all of their pre season games too, though the weather and subs may have helped against Northampton.

Have beaten a correct Bristol team away.. to be aware of the danger, they've 9 internationals (8 Welsh, 1 Fidjian, out for few weeks by the way). We can't say the same for the moment

Have beaten a correct Bristol team away.. to be aware of the danger, they've 9 internationals (8 Welsh, 1 Fidjian, out for few weeks by the way). We can't say the same for the moment

They are poor opposition. If you equate them to Connacht its purely because you don't believe Connacht can beat them. They are rubbish. If Connacht can't beat them it puts our team in perspective. We beat dragons or else

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

They are poor opposition. If you equate them to Connacht its purely because you don't believe Connacht can beat them. They are rubbish. If Connacht can't beat them it puts our team in perspective. We beat dragons or else

That is very harsh and over the top if I may say so. They may not be the best team in Europe but they are not rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

It's the bloody preseason,the hammering Leinster took from Northampton last year didn't define their season and a win or loss against the Dragons won't define Connacht's.

• Advertisement

Swan Curry wrote: »
    It's the bloody preseason,the hammering Leinster took from Northampton last year didn't define their season and a win or loss against the Dragons won't define Connacht's.

So this is the point. We have to define our season.. I am so fed up of poor losses. Dragons we win. Lose it, rest of the season is just a pointer to the following season. Simply this game cannot be lost. Pressure. We are a professional rugby team. This is a game that we win or we cannot consider ourselves a half decent team. Full stop. We win this or season is over in first game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

There I don't really agree. Hope it will change, but since January and his yellow against Sarries, he's clearly behind Ah You

Behind doesnt equal nothing to offer. Whiteshould have a bit between his teeth this season imo. IQ now plus a stupid season behind him should see him give Dave a real battle

Behind doesnt equal nothing to offer. Whiteshould have a bit between his teeth this season imo. IQ now plus a stupid season behind him should see him give Dave a real battle

White, henry and Heenan I think will do well this season. All very good players

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Stan27

White, henry and Heenan I think will do well this season. All very good players

Yes big things from Heenan this year. Really getting. A great squad this year!!!

Ah Ouncer and you've been doing so well for the last few weeks.....back to nonsense again so!!! :(

Behind doesnt equal nothing to offer.

I didn't say that. I'm just relieved we've Ah You who's in my mind more capable to play 1 entire hour, and White as an impact player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭f1dan

This feels weird but I agree with Ouncer's assessment that we simply have to win against the Dragons. If we lose that one there is a very real possibility that we could end September with ZERO points. If that happens you can envisage a scenario where heads begin to drop very early in the season.

It's imperative that we position ourselves to take advantage during the International windows and if we are floundering at the bottom of the table the same confidence and belief just won't be there.

It's strange but the first game is really a must-win, not just in terms of setting the tone, but in trying to stay in touch with the European qualifying spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭evil_seed

I agree with Ouncer in the fact that we must beat the Dragons. I do not agree with the point about the Dragons being cannon fodder for the rest of the league and putting them in the same boat as Zebre. We are in that boat, not the Dragons. They are going to surprise you this year. They've been building over the past 2 years and now are ready to do go this season with the extra additions they've made. I see us as underddogs in this game

You sum up my point

• Advertisement

Worth pointing out, after beating Zebre in the first game of the season last year, I don't think we won again until late December against Dragons. That is the standard that was set last year. This team isn't suddenly going to start winning 80% of their games but if we avoid the extended runs of losses it will be a significant improvement......we have to be realistic lads!!

7 rounds will take us up to the November internationals:

1) Dragons at home
    2) Edinburgh away
    3) Leinster at home
    4) Glasgow away
    5) Cardiff at home
    6) Treviso away
    7) Ospreys away

Bar Glasgow and Ospreys I think it's reasonable to feel we could win each of the others, does that mean we will? Probably not....we're just not at that level yet.

Through 7 rounds last year we had 1 win and 6 losses.

After 7 rounds this year I would be hoping for 4 wins which would be great, 3 would be ok, anything less poor and anything more than 4 a big plus.

Advertisement