Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

S12b wrote: »
    He executed a few kicks poorly alright but it wasn't that he was just aimlessly kicking it away, just sliced off the boot. Regarding the kicking coach, no coach can just walk in, click his fingers and instantly turn an average kicker into a brilliant one....just not that easy!!

I agree with Hermano, I thought a lot of the kicking was aimless and straight down the throat of Lee Byrne. Several kicks for touch went nowhere near, and it gave Byrne an attacking platform, put us under pressure facing a good broken field runner. That said, our defence was up to it, but didn't need to be put under that pressure...

CatFromHue wrote: »
    So he's an AIL pick and not an Academy grad?

Yup

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Good stuff so.

Do Trinity still play their games in the Trinity campus which can be over looked from Nassau Street?

That's one of the most weirdest, and nicest, places I've ever played I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Zzippy wrote: »
    I agree with Hermano, I thought a lot of the kicking was aimless and straight down the throat of Lee Byrne. Several kicks for touch went nowhere near, and it gave Byrne an attacking platform, put us under pressure facing a good broken field runner. That said, our defence was up to it, but didn't need to be put under that pressure...

Oh I agree that some of his kicking was poor, I'm just saying it wasn't aimless. I know it's a technicality as all that matters is where the ball ends up but it wasn't that he was just booting it away, he just messed up the execution and missed his targets....I watched his reactions after a few kicks and he was disgusted with himself.

I'm probably being overly kind to him because I really want to see him get an extended run in the 10 shirt.....I feel he has a lot more potential than Nikora who's too much of a one trick pony!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ouncer

It was a win that was hard to see. Yes dragons are not great. However our back line didn't look great on paper. What we did has to do with a quality pack. With that pack we can do the same job on our Scottish friends next week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think TG4 will have some highlights on now in a min

I think TG4 will have some highlights on now in a min

Just saw them there, Niyi did really well to set up the first try.....from the Clan it looked like he didn't have too much to do but he bet two men he had no right to beat and then offloaded out of the tackle.....brilliant stuff!! :D

Yup the link up on the inside is easily ignored but meant a try for Connacht tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Edinburgh's defence was excellent against Munster, they are a well drilled side. They butchered a few chances and Tim Visser was helped off injured so that's their best attacking threat possibly out.

Great start. Important start. If I were to say dragons and Edinburgh are a reasonable ask. Dragons done (pack as picked were immense and do the job). All fit look forward to next weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

ouncer wrote: »
    Great start. Important start. If I were to say dragons and Edinburgh are a reasonable ask. Dragons done (pack as picked were immense and do the job). All fit look forward to next weekend.

Big ask, looking from the sideline mckeon and heenan look doubtful, both carried heavy knocks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

AngeGal wrote: »

Anyone get a right look at Byrne's yellow? Thought it looked very dangerous and could have been red but didnt have best view as I said. Was annoyed at Nikora taking that kick to goal, he consistently misses from that range.

To be honest, from the angle I looked at it from he looked committed and it was just unfortunate from his point of view, didn't see any malice, penalty definitely, yellow card could be argued either way but red would have been very harsh imo. However, it was a turning point, it certainly helped Connacht to re-assert control on the game.

Would agree on Nikora, don't think anyone believed he would kick it. It wasn't a million miles off but it really wasn't the percentage call at that stage. Think that was at 16-8. Territory at that stage may have prevented the Dragons getting their bonus point and being in with a shout right until the final whistle.

To be honest, from the angle I looked at it from he looked committed and it was just unfortunate from his point of view, didn't see any malice, penalty definitely, yellow card could be argued either way but red would have been very harsh imo. However, it was a turning point, it certainly helped Connacht to re-assert control on the game.

Would agree on Nikora, don't think anyone believed he would kick it. It wasn't a million miles off but it really wasn't the percentage call at that stage. Think that was at 16-8. Territory at that stage may have prevented the Dragons getting their bonus point and being in with a shout right until the final whistle.

looked from my view (clan stand, 10m line bohermore side) the same for Byrne, no intent and clearly just a timing issue. However Leader got done in the reverse fixture last year for a similar incident so its how the wheel turns really.

Nikora was obviously not happy taking that kick, lined up for a kick down the line initially before being called to kick it. Who exactly the call came from is conusing. With White and Muldoon off there didnt seem to be a clear captain on the field. There was a discussion between Nikora, Heenan and I think Kearney over the kick so hard to see who finally called it. Should have been clearer imo who was charge

My negativity aside, niyi and dani did well. Pack were at full strength and did well. Lots to look forward to. Marmion, henshaw aki soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Here's some positivity

http://youtu.be/9fXJmGo5FQs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭f1dan

Good stuff so.

Do Trinity still play their games in the Trinity campus which can be over looked from Nassau Street?

That's one of the most weirdest, and nicest, places I've ever played I have to say.

I think they played their AIL games in Monkstown RFC last season

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭hermano

S12b wrote: »
    Oh I agree that some of his kicking was poor, I'm just saying it wasn't aimless. I know it's a technicality as all that matters is where the ball ends up but it wasn't that he was just booting it away, he just messed up the execution and missed his targets....I watched his reactions after a few kicks and he was disgusted with himself.

I'm probably being overly kind to him because I really want to see him get an extended run in the 10 shirt.....I feel he has a lot more potential than Nikora who's too much of a one trick pony!!

I want him to do well at 10 too because we all know what Nikora can/can't do. But if he plays like that against Edinburgh we'll lose. Maybe it is game time he needs for confidence. Ouncer was right last year. He should've played the last few games when there was nothing to play for.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Stan27

Is ronaldson injured?
    Thought he would be ahead of Miah.
    What do people think of out chances next week. Chances of being top of the table :)

hermano wrote: »
    I want him to do well at 10 too because we all know what Nikora can/can't do. But if he plays like that against Edinburgh we'll lose. Maybe it is game time he needs for confidence. Ouncer was right last year. He should've played the last few games when there was nothing to play for.

Absolutely, the more time he gets on the pitch the more he should settle into the role.....give him some time.
    Stan27 wrote: »
    What do people think of out chances next week. Chances of being top of the table :)

Think it's time to bring this back out!!
    http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2013/12/10/connacht-fans-stay-grounded-following-victory-over-toulouse/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Good stuff so.

Yes. they're back in College Park this season. Fantastic location for games.
    f1dan wrote: »
    I think they played their AIL games in Monkstown RFC last season
    Pitch in College Park was being done up last season

If Connacht can sort out someone with place kicking up to 70-80% they'll do very well but again last night the % of successful kicks at goal not good enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭RoutineBites

I think people are slightly overstating Adeolokun's performance. He was lively all right, his evasiveness was an integral part of the first try and his pace was instrumental in getting him seriously close to charging down multiple Dragon's kicks. (Kudos to him, he was successful in one of these attempts.) However, I still wouldn't consider him to be a viable option in a starting XV against quality opposition. He's played one professional game, where he got mullered defensively on more than one occasion. A lot of the time he seemed to be just struggling to hold on to legs rather than making tackles. Leader seemed to be doing a lot of covering for him in the first half. (I remember one occasion in particular where Adeolokun got his bearings wrong for a tackle and Brew just walked over him.) He looked shaky for his positioning on one or two kicks, although he did take one exceptionally well during the second half.

I'm sure most of these problems can be corrected by a year or two in a professional environment though, so I'm still feeling very positive about him as a player. Decent competitive debut? Yes. Starter material? No.

I think people are slightly overstating Adeolokun's performance. He was lively all right, his evasiveness was an integral part of the first try and his pace was instrumental in getting him seriously close to charging down multiple Dragon's kicks. (Kudos to him, he was successful in one of these attempts.) However, I still wouldn't consider him to be a viable option in a starting XV against quality opposition. He's played one professional game, where he got mullered defensively on more than one occasion. A lot of the time he seemed to be just struggling to hold on to legs rather than making tackles. Leader seemed to be doing a lot of covering for him in the first half. (I remember one occasion in particular where Adeolokun got his bearings wrong for a tackle and Brew just walked over him.) He looked shaky for his positioning on one or two kicks, although he did take one exceptionally well during the second half.

I'm sure most of these problems can be corrected by a year or two in a professional environment though, so I'm still feeling very positive about him as a player. Decent competitive debut? Yes. Starter material? No.

Agree with analysis but with current injuries in the back-line its unlikely that there will any change to backline other than introduction of marmion at scrum half, henshaw at centre, and leader moving to full-back. so it looks like niyi is odds-on to start against edinburgh while we await tiernan, mat, mils and bundi. I hadn't heard that Fionn is injured which made the Conor Finn selection a puzzle?

Matt Healy can oust Niyi but he will have his work cut out, that was his first pro game so he's going to improve at quite a rate over the next few months.... same can't be said for Fionn Carr and TOH.

I actually think Ciaran Gaffney is the next guy who will make a breakthrough.....might not happen immediately but he's a very talented young guy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Agree with analysis but with current injuries in the back-line its unlikely that there will any change to backline other than introduction of marmion at scrum half, henshaw at centre, and leader moving to full-back. so it looks like niyi is odds-on to start against edinburgh while we await tiernan, mat, mils and bundi. I hadn't heard that Fionn is injured which made the Conor Finn selection a puzzle?

In your opinion, Conor hadn't a good game when he came on?

connachta wrote: »
    In your opinion, Conor hadn't a good game when he came on?

Didn't say that. Just thought his original selection was strange if fionn was fit. All that aside the pack will be instrumental on how we do this year. With all selections of out-halves having their weaknesses it will be crucial that the pack compensate. The inclusion of aki and the development of henshaw will hugely help our defensive efforts this year

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Didn't say that. Just thought his original selection was strange if fionn was fit. All that aside the pack will be instrumental on how we do this year. With all selections of out-halves having their weaknesses it will be crucial that the pack compensate. The inclusion of aki and the development of henshaw will hugely help our defensive efforts this year

Carr was just not good enough on both friendlies
    Agree with the rest of your message

highlights up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f4Idqk3OvM&index=1&list=UU-S6cXyil4qbIPfb2hrcH4w

adeolokun did very well for the try seeing it from that angle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

People actually thought Carty had a good game? He was poor. Far, far too much aimless kicking away of possession and didn't control the game at all from 10. Porter was also much too slow getting the ball away, when marimon came on it was like night and day. The pack did well and Heenan is a class apart. He'll be off to a top French club soon. Poolman also stood out in the backline. The front row also did well, buckley could become a very useful prop.

John Cooney is joining up with the squad this week, played AIL at the weekend.

Hearing rumours Jake Heenan could have done his shoulder again!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Advertisement