Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭b.gud

flouncer wrote: »
    If I were to pick a team there are certain things that are important. First up u need to have a beard or struggling with a hairline. You need to be 5 foot zero or enormous. Anywhere in between I'm simply not having it. Just my opinion and its why pat would be in my first 15 every time :-). Note this is just an opinion

Posts like this are why I'm glad you decided to come back (fl)ouncer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Same
    Worst thing is today was last day I'm at home where my ticket will be posted to. I'm away with work next two days and won't have time to get home and get ticket and then make the match, Was hoping I'd have the ticket by now..
    Rather frustrating

I contacted Tickets.ie and they sent me an E-ticket which is really handy :)
    Really excited for this game

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

15 – 9: D Leader, F Carr, A Pewhairangi, B Aki, D Poolman, J Carty, I Porter

1 – 8: JP Cooney, T McCartney, R Ah You, U Dillane, D Qualter, J Muldoon (c), J Connolly, E. McKeon

Replacements:

Forwards (8): F Bealham, N White, J Dever, J Walshe, S Delahunt, B Marshall, S O’Brien, G Naoupu

Backs (6): C Blade, S O’Leary, C McKeon, D McSharry, R Parata, N Adeolokun

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭b.gud

1 – 8: JP Cooney, T McCartney, R Ah You, U Dillane, D Qualter, J Muldoon (c), J Connolly, E. McKeon

Replacements:

Forwards (8): F Bealham, N White, J Dever, J Walshe, S Delahunt, B Marshall, S O’Brien, G Naoupu

Fairly happy with that looks like a good mix, would have liked to see Jake or Nepia get a game but happy to see Connolly get a shot

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Replacements:

Half of our 1st team to start, yeah good mix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Great to see S O'Brien on any list..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭flouncer

Interesting centre partnership. Like seeing poolman at 11. Seems to be jacks favourite side so expect to see more of him than at 14. 2nd row wouldn't be my starting pair but it will be interesting to see what depth we have there. Glad to see fionn get a start. He really has had precious few opportunities to strut his stuff in the last while

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Any word on Ronaldson? Is he being rested or is he still out injured?

b.gud wrote: »
    Posts like this are why I'm glad you decided to come back (fl)ouncer :)

I'm just concerned what Connacht is trying to portray. Is it the rugged muldowney or Muldoon. Or is it the henshaw, toh young look. My opinion is that I'd be more scared meeting muldowney in a dark alley than toh. On a field I suspect opposing team would feel likewise. So we need to work harder on signing bearded or folically challenged players. Just a thought pat.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Any word on Ronaldson? Is he being rested or is he still out injured?
    Wouldn't exactly say anyone is being rested if not involved tomorrow. Isnt injured as has been training.
    connachta wrote: »
    Leader and TOH need gametime too.. would like Peter Robb to have a go, could be worthwhile when Henshaw is absent
    Robb could have college exams and mightn't be involved because of them. could be involved when they finish, so in time for Munster next week

• Advertisement

Wouldn't exactly say anyone is being rested if not involved tomorrow. Isnt injured as has been training.

Robb could have college exams and mightn't be involved because of them. could be involved when they finish, so in time for Munster next week

Yeah it's a problem that rugby players become intelligent:D

Yeah it's a problem that rugby players become intelligent:D

Scary more important. Muldowney for captain. Hard to say if he is scary but facial hair covering weaknesses.

So all stuff aside I list my Connacht team. Note this takes into account loss of henshaw and marmion
    1 Buckley
    2 jhw
    3 white
    4 Marshall
    5 muldowney (c)
    6 Masterson
    7 Heenan
    8 McKeon
    9 cooney
    10 ronaldson
    11 Healy
    12 mcsharry
    13 aki
    14 poolman
    15 toh

Strange thing is that it gets hard to call the bench. But this is my effort

16 loughney
    17 mccartney
    18 ah you
    19 roux/sob (like sob but has been out of game for long time)
    20 muldoon
    21 porter
    22 carty
    23 leader

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

I think Jack deserves to hold onto the 10 shirt for the start of the season. He came good right at the end last season with his game management and his kicking for goal was steadily improving.
    Hard to leave Roux out of the starting team as well. He was very solid last season.
    It's a hard call at hooker as well. An in form Tom is exceptional but he was tired at the end of last season. JHW has never let the team down though.
    Apart from that I'd pretty much agree with you.

I take your point. I know I tend to be a scratched record but as I witness games its on the backfoot with jack and on the front foot with craig. Yes jack learnt to kick position. I accept that. Yes jack kicks better at goal. I accept that. I just watch a gain line losing gain with jack. Every other aspect of his game has improved. He simply isn't big enough. He is an easy target

So all stuff aside I list my Connacht team. Note this takes into account loss of henshaw and marmion
    1 Buckley
    2 jhw
    3 white
    4 Marshall
    5 muldowney (c)
    6 Masterson
    7 Heenan
    8 McKeon
    9 cooney
    10 ronaldson
    11 Healy
    12 mcsharry
    13 aki
    14 poolman
    15 toh

I've said

1) Buck
    2) McCartney
    3) AhYou
    4) Roux
    5) Muldowney
    6) Masterson
    7) Heenan
    8 ) McKeon
    9) Marmion (Cooney)
    10) Carty
    11) Healy
    12) Aki
    13) Henshaw
    14) Poolman
    15) Leader

And Ronaldson/Aki pairing when Henshaw isn't available.

So we 90% agree. Don't worry Ouncer, it just means we haven't enough squad depth yet to disagree:P

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭cosalofa

Does anyone know the cost of a ticket for today's match?

Incidentally, I was on the same flight as the whole Grenoble squad yesterday (I was afraid that the plane might not be able to take off!). From listening to them talk, it seemed to me that 1) they haven't touched a ball yet this season and 2) some of the players had the away french team mindset and were not expecting to win. Then again, this game is probably just about fitness for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Pretty sure it's 22 adult 15 concession

Le XV de départ : Fabien Barcella, Laurent Bouchet, Walter Desmaison - Ben Hand, James Percival - Jonathan Best, Mahamadou Diaby, Fabien Alexandre - James Hart, Clément Gelin - Xavier Mignot, Chris Farrell, Fabrice Estebanez, Amrand Batlle - Robinson Caire

Les remplaçants : Denis Coulson, Anthony Hegarty, Dayna Edwards, Mathias Marie, Peter Kimlin, Rory Grice, Christophe Loustalot, Charl McLeod, Jonathan Wisniewski, Nigel Hunt, Jackson Willison, Daniel Kilioni, Gio Aplon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

I take your point. I know I tend to be a scratched record but as I witness games its on the backfoot with jack and on the front foot with craig. Yes jack learnt to kick position. I accept that. Yes jack kicks better at goal. I accept that. I just watch a gain line losing gain with jack. Every other aspect of his game has improved. He simply isn't big enough. He is an easy target

Same thing worries me about Conor McKeon. Happy to see him get a run out, but he is very very light and on the small side. Good hands, but even smaller than Jack.

• Advertisement

What is the most worrying this year is our capacity to hold the ball in attack. That was already a weakness, and the backline without Henshaw isn't able on the paper to clean the rucks with a 95% effectivness.

Aki didn't engaged to this last season
    Carty, TOH Niyi and Healy are too light
    Api comes from League, doesn't know what ruck means
    For me, there are just Poolman and Leader who'll have to involve themselves closer to the ball carrier, waiting for the forwards to come

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

What is the most worrying this year is our capacity to hold the ball in attack. That was already a weakness, and the backline without Henshaw isn't able on the paper to clean the rucks with a 95% effectivness.

Aki didn't engaged to this last season
    Carty, TOH Niyi and Healy are too light
    Api comes from League, doesn't know what ruck means
    For me, there are just Poolman and Leader who'll have to involve themselves closer to the ball carrier, waiting for the forwards to come

Thoughts?

Really need to re-write that as it doesn't make much sense. Are you talking about quick ruck ball or clearing out of rucks? Because it certainly wasn't a problem last season or before. It's actually one of the strongest aspects of our play, highlighted by nomination for collision kings award previous season, and choosing a back on basis of his rucking ability is like choosing a prop for his play-making abilities. Great, but not the only reason.

its_phil wrote: »
    Really need to re-write that as it doesn't make much sense. Are you talking about quick ruck ball or clearing out of rucks? Because it certainly wasn't a problem last season or before. It's actually one of the strongest aspects of our play, highlighted by nomination for collision kings award previous season, and choosing a back on basis of his rucking ability is like choosing a prop for his play-making abilities. Great, but not the only reason.

Clearing out when the ruck is contested (not quick balls) was a problem, lots a turnovers conceded, could be worse without Henshaw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

R.E. Grenoble friendly.

Pros: Nice play from Carty - creating two tries one of them a nice solo score.
    Cons: BIG gaps in defence particularly when their 13 ran through Carty and Aki.
    Indifferent: Second half, it can't be used to judge anything. Niceto see SOB back in action.

Aside: Anyone who payed €20 to watch that must be fuming. The subs and random jerseys without anouncement were frustrating, even the twitter account was no help
    quote:
    Back for the second half at the sunny Sportsground. Pretty much a new team on the pitch so we won't call them all out

They should not have charged anywhere near pro12 price for that.

R.E. Grenoble friendly.

Indifferent: Second half, it can't be used to judge anything. Niceto see SOB back in action.

Aside: Anyone who payed €20 to watch that must be fuming. The subs and random jerseys without anouncement were frustrating, even the twitter account was no help
    Back for the second half at the sunny Sportsground. Pretty much a new team on the pitch so we won't call them all out

R.E. Grenoble friendly.

Cons: BIG gaps in defense particularly when their 13 ran through Carty (possibly McKeown?) and Aki.
    Indifferent: Second half, it can't be used to judge anything. Nice to see SOB back in action.

Aside: Anyone who payed €20 to watch that must be fuming. The subs and random jerseys without announcement were frustrating, even the twitter account was no help

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭seanin4711

again this will be lams mantra only to fall short

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

R.E. Grenoble friendly.

quote:

The opposition were much more advanced in their pre season and start top 14 two weeks before we start pro12...
    It was annoying about announcements but what you going to do...

Very few at the game. How much would you have charged in? A lot there were kids who had tickets from going to the summer camps so tickets mainly bought by parents who were dragged along.

seanin4711 wrote: »
    again this will be lams mantra only to fall short

Now that's just a bit over the top. And I thought I was bad :-). Lack of emerging Ireland players, lack of henshaw and marmion to international duty, lack of many other first team players. I wouldn't pass much remarks on the result. As a team selection goes I would expect that even with an extensive iinjury list we would be able to field a stronger team. I do agree that folks should not be charged full whack to watch experimental stuff.

• Advertisement

How much would you have charged in?

Based on €15 for Galway Utd v Derry on the same night (Competitive and attractive soccer) and that I paid €15 iirc for a Clare football/hurling Championship double header in Ennis and you can get into Croke Park for €25 for TWO quarter finals tomorrow and an evenings racing last week was €25 I would have put it at €10 at the VERY most

Advertisement