Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Edit: Actually I'll snip this post, forgot the mod comment

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Ouncer if you're lurking now and reading this, please feel free to re-register and come back on to contribute. Your opinions may not be agreed with by everyone but this forum is all the better for a bit of debate and contrary opinions. You are more than welcome to post again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Zzippy wrote: »
    Ouncer if you're lurking now and reading this, please feel free to re-register and come back on to contribute. Your opinions may not be agreed with by everyone but this forum is all the better for a bit of debate and contrary opinions. You are more than welcome to post again.

Seconded......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

I think the EPC will see sense once they see the increased competition this year. The competition will be more relevant and more competitive with a real reward at the end of it. I still think the French clubs will phone it in. Staying in the Top 14 is the be all and end all for those teams.
    It could also be Connacht's best chance of silver wear, so why not go for it.
    Judging by the sounds Paul McNaughton was making towards the end of last season it may not end up being a one year only thing, they may end up assigning that place permanently to the Challenge Cup, which would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭flouncer

Folks, can you give me a small break. I know my opinion is unpopular. So I've taken a couple of years of kicks in the knuts. Its just an opinion. That said my opinion on marmion was not great. My opinion on henshaw was even worse. My opinion on carty is still out. My opinion on assistant referees is probably why I rejoined the forum again. Smiley-face, couldn't agree with you more. Who the feic on a sideline wants to be cocking their ear to find what a referee or an assistant referee is discussing over a comms channel. Note zippy you will be held responsible for all the mad muffin comments from the 'flounce' this year. But here I am, just under a cooler name :-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I always enjoyed on a Friday night after a Conn game when it was Ouncing Time BABYYYYY!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Welcome back flouncer, I rarely agree with you but the thread would be a duller place without you.

Wretched kickoff time aside, who's rather excited about seeing some live rugby at the Sportsground again on Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Robbo wrote:
    Welcome back flouncer, I rarely agree with you but the thread would be a duller place without you.
    Yup. 50% less posts too 😂
    Robbo wrote:
    Wretched kickoff time aside, who's rather excited about seeing some live rugby at the Sportsground again on Friday?
    Day off booked. Can't wait

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Guys have you seen this ??
    www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/video-con...season-31380404.html

I missed that last month, but for f***'s sake, this is now legendary, for years and years!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭b.gud

What are people looking for from the warm up games, starting team getting some game time to bring them up to speed or lads on the fringes of the team to get some game time to see how they react?

I think I'd like a bit of a mixture and I'd def like to see some fringe players in key positions where our dept isn't necessarily as strong/tested to get a chance.

I think our depth in the front row position is fairly well known in terms of what we can expect, no harm for JHW to get some game time as he hasn't played in a long time. Other than that I'm not too pushed about who might get time time here.

Second row the same we know what to expect maybe a start for Marshall to see how he gets on with the team.

Back row should be decent in terms of depth would obviously like to see Jake and Nepia both get a start, and maybe a couple of alternatives to John at 6 in case he gets injured, maybe Masterson and Marshall.

At 9 would like to see Blade and Porter get a start.

At 10 I'de def like to see Conor McKeon get a start as he may be called on if we pick up an injury to Craig (highly likely), or Jack. And probably a start each for Jack and Craig.

Midfield I'd like to see a game where Finn starts at 13 with one of Aki or McSharry inside him, same for Api. Robbie is going to miss a considerable amount of this season so it's good to have a look at our other options there.

In the back 3 I think the only thing I'd like to see is Gaffney given a shot off the bench or a start.

• Advertisement

b.gud wrote: »
    What are people looking for from the warm up games, starting team getting some game time to bring them up to speed or lads on the fringes of the team to get some game time to see how they react?

I think I'd like a bit of a mixture and I'd def like to see some fringe players in key positions where our dept isn't necessarily as strong/tested to get a chance.

I think our depth in the front row position is fairly well known in terms of what we can expect, no harm for JHW to get some game time as he hasn't played in a long time. Other than that I'm not too pushed about who might get time time here.

Second row the same we know what to expect maybe a start for Marshall to see how he gets on with the team.

Back row should be decent in terms of depth would obviously like to see Jake and Nepia both get a start, and maybe a couple of alternatives to John at 6 in case he gets injured, maybe Masterson and Marshall.

At 9 would like to see Blade and Porter get a start.

At 10 I'de def like to see Conor McKeon get a start as he may be called on if we pick up an injury to Craig (highly likely), or Jack. And probably a start each for Jack and Craig.

Midfield I'd like to see a game where Finn starts at 13 with one of Aki or McSharry inside him, same for Api. Robbie is going to miss a considerable amount of this season so it's good to have a look at our other options there.

In the back 3 I think the only thing I'd like to see is Gaffney given a shot off the bench or a start.

Leader and TOH need gametime too.. would like Peter Robb to have a go, could be worthwhile when Henshaw is absent

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

flouncer wrote: »
    Folks, can you give me a small break. I know my opinion is unpopular. So I've taken a couple of years of kicks in the knuts. Its just an opinion. That said my opinion on marmion was not great. My opinion on henshaw was even worse. My opinion on carty is still out. My opinion on assistant referees is probably why I rejoined the forum again. Smiley-face, couldn't agree with you more. Who the feic on a sideline wants to be cocking their ear to find what a referee or an assistant referee is discussing over a comms channel. Note zippy you will be held responsible for all the mad muffin comments from the 'flounce' this year. But here I am, just under a cooler name :-)

Never leave (f)louncer. The forum is a better place with you contributing.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I really hope "the flounce" catches on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Redo91

Have people's season tickets arrived in the post yet? Only a few days til the Grenoble game and no sign of mine.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Redo91 wrote: »
    Have people's season tickets arrived in the post yet? Only a few days til the Grenoble game and no sign of mine.
    I was only renewing mine yesterday and was told that posting started on Tuesday. There would be tickets issued by email for Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

So there's going to be a New European and away jersey for this season
    away jersey to be released tomorrow according to what BLK tweeted a short while ago

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Redo91 wrote: »

Same
    Worst thing is today was last day I'm at home where my ticket will be posted to. I'm away with work next two days and won't have time to get home and get ticket and then make the match, Was hoping I'd have the ticket by now..
    Rather frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭lostboy75

i received an email from the branch saying the tickets purchased before a certain date (cant rem date) would be out mid this week. assume the rest of you guy and gals got that as well?
    It has to be one of the most annoying start times though! what dictated that? the dogs?

lostboy75 wrote: »
    i received an email from the branch saying the tickets purchased before a certain date (cant rem date) would be out mid this week. assume the rest of you guy and gals got that as well?
    It has to be one of the most annoying start times though! what dictated that? the dogs?
    I'd imagine Grenoble may have looked for an earlier time so that they could make a flight home on Friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭lostboy75

that makes sense, the dogs never got in the way before on a Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Robbo wrote: »
    I'd imagine Grenoble may have looked for an earlier time so that they could make a flight home on Friday night.

Thought they might be staying on and training somewhere in Ireland for the week, as they're playing Munster next week...?

The Away and Europe jersey being released tomorrow

Have a shhneaky image of the Away one in attachment - looks pretty damn sexy

Would have been lovely as Ireland's alternative RWC jersey

wp_rathead wrote: »

Nice, is it going to be just the away jersey, or will we get a new home one too?

b.gud wrote: »
    Nice, is it going to be just the away jersey, or will we get a new home one too?

think we keeping last season's home jersey
    Getting a new Away strip-which is released tomorrow
    And a new European one.

There has been alot of Purple on the training gear and on the new hoodies I've seen Connacht players wear around Galway so I've a feeling the European jersey could be purple.

connachta wrote: »
    Leader and TOH need gametime too.. would like Peter Robb to have a go, could be worthwhile when Henshaw is absent

Think leader more than toh. Darragh was unfortunate with hand injury and needs game time. Toh, after start of season recovery, has had lots of game time including emerging Ireland game time. I did watch these games and I did struggle to see who they benefited. The lads get a couple of weeks to know each other and blend together. And it really showed. It was really shabby rugby. In comparison you take the u20s or the seniors. They get lots of time to shape ideas and shape teams. So I'm not a mad fan of the concept of emerging Ireland.

On the Connacht front I'm inclined to agree that the Grenoble game should be used to blood players on the fringes. I have my fingers crossed on Jake and I'll be there nervously twitching whenever he goes into contact. Anyway point is I wouldn't like him playing a full game vs Grenoble. That said we do need to test our team, I simply expect that to happen vs Munster rather than Grenoble.

Connachta, it must have taken you ages putting together all the different team possibilities so well done on that. Its great to see no mention of injuries on the Connacht rugby website as we speak and to see the depth in the squad that you describe.

This is the year dudes. God, I forgot to mention that I also gave pat lam a 'lambasting' after his first year also :-). Maybe a tad over critical I might be

Think leader more than toh. Darragh was unfortunate with hand injury and needs game time. Toh, after start of season recovery, has had lots of game time including emerging Ireland game time. I did watch these games and I did struggle to see who they benefited. The lads get a couple of weeks to know each other and blend together. And it really showed. It was really shabby rugby. In comparison you take the u20s or the seniors. They get lots of time to shape ideas and shape teams. So I'm not a mad fan of the concept of emerging Ireland.

On the Connacht front I'm inclined to agree that the Grenoble game should be used to blood players on the fringes. I have my fingers crossed on Jake and I'll be there nervously twitching whenever he goes into contact. Anyway point is I wouldn't like him playing a full game vs Grenoble. That said we do need to test our team, I simply expect that to happen vs Munster rather than Grenoble.

Connachta, it must have taken you ages putting together all the different team possibilities so well done on that. Its great to see no mention of injuries on the Connacht rugby website as we speak and to see the depth in the squad that you describe.

This is the year dudes. God, I forgot to mention that I also gave pat lam a 'lambasting' after his first year also :-). Maybe a tad over critical I might be

Thanks ex-reborn Ouncer:) We don't always perfectly agree (like about Emerging Ireland), but I'm probably the one with the least opposition with you (and it drives you crazy, doesn't it^^). Welcome back, and happy Connacht season, hope the young talents will do the job!

Suits even the balding guy. Like that :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Redo91

Same
    Worst thing is today was last day I'm at home where my ticket will be posted to. I'm away with work next two days and won't have time to get home and get ticket and then make the match, Was hoping I'd have the ticket by now..
    Rather frustrating

Ya no idea why they've left it so late! :confused:

I kinda agree with you about the emerging Ireland thing. The Tbilisi cup is a bit of a walk over for the Irish team they most of them would play a higher quality of match with their clubs during the season. Though I did think there are some benefits to it for guys who might be close to the breaking into the senior set up in that they get a chance to train and play with players from a different province and with different styles. It also gives them a slight look at what would be expected of them in an Irish camp, though obviously nowhere near the intensity or level of detail that there is in current Irish camps under JS

• Advertisement

If I were to pick a team there are certain things that are important. First up u need to have a beard or struggling with a hairline. You need to be 5 foot zero or enormous. Anywhere in between I'm simply not having it. Just my opinion and its why pat would be in my first 15 every time :-). Note this is just an opinion

Advertisement