Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

typhoony wrote: »
    not sure of the logistics of it but if Donnybrook was available it would be big advantage if they could train there for a few days.

Oranmore, not quite as far as Donnybrook
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152787626048562.1073741937.115936553561&type=1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

connachta wrote: »
    that's why we maybe should have both of them : Leader 13 TOH 15 or Leader 15 TOH 14. It depends if you prefer picking players on inner qualities and recent good shifts, even out of position OR a less experienced/talended player but used to play where he'll be assigned (Finn)

Tbh in if your rating talent as overall your correct but when it comes to talent in playing centre finn is the most talent player available to us at 13. Im a big believer in you play the best player available in that position, not forcing players into other positions just to have them on the team, and, at the moment, I rate Leader as better than TOH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ouncer

freyners wrote: »
    Tbh in if your rating talent as overall your correct but when it comes to talent in playing centre finn is the most talent player available to us at 13. Im a big believer in you play the best player available in that position, not forcing players into other positions just to have them on the team, and, at the moment, I rate Leader as better than TOH

Couldn't agree more. Suspect more forcing in evidence for friday

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

freyners wrote: »

Finn has hardly played for the first team this year, was he injured or does Lam just not rate him, as he's played Poolman and Leader at 13 when Robbie and Aki have been unavailable?

All I will say is heed galwaylad. I could also add ignore me but hey☺

• Advertisement

that's why we maybe should have both of them : Leader 13 TOH 15 or Leader 15 TOH 14. It depends if you prefer picking players on inner qualities and recent good shifts, even out of position OR a less experienced/talended player but used to play where he'll be assigned (Finn)

Connachta, 'inner qualities'. Wtf. Enjoyed that very much☺

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Zzippy wrote: »
    Finn has hardly played for the first team this year, was he injured or does Lam just not rate him, as he's played Poolman and Leader at 13 when Robbie and Aki have been unavailable?

I know he was injured at some point but tbh not a clue recently. Im not a huge fan if leader at 13 and hate poolman at 13 so its borne from that i want him in there. Seems to do well fir the eagles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭typhoony

i still think our best option at 13 is Mils, so far Poolman hasn't done it and way better on the wing and as for Leader he may be short on confidence. We know that Mils has great defensive positional abilities, leave TOH at FB he deserves another shot after last weekend

also his inner Unagi is the best in the world.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Zzippy wrote: »

My take, he just hasn't shone in training to grab the 13 shirt so Lam has taken the safer option and thrown a more experienced player in there rather than handing a novice the 13 shirt.

I actually think 13 is a spot we need more cover. We have plenty back 3 options and 12's but we're a bit light at 13....Robbie will be gone for a lot of next season and I get the sense Aki is quite prone to injury so I wouldn't like to flog him....that brings us back to the current Poolman, Leader, Finn position....Brendan Macken or Colm O'Shea would add a nice bit of depth and they certainly wouldn't cost much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭b.gud

S12b wrote: »
    My take, he just hasn't shone in training to grab the 13 shirt so Lam has taken the safer option and thrown a more experienced player in there rather than handing a novice the 13 shirt.

I actually think 13 is a spot we need more cover. We have plenty back 3 options and 12's but we're a bit light at 13....Robbie will be gone for a lot of next season and I get the sense Aki is quite prone to injury so I wouldn't like to flog him....that brings us back to the current Poolman, Leader, Finn position....Brendan Macken or Colm O'Shea would add a nice bit of depth and they certainly wouldn't cost much.

Didn't Macken sign with some other team recently?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

b.gud wrote: »

Gone on loan to Gloucester I think

b.gud wrote: »

It was just a loan dealLeinster’s http://jrnl.ie/1965026

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Leader has defensive weakness for 13, Poolman offensive one, and Muliaina isn't fast enough.. Maybe Finn is the best option after all...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

15. Mils Muliaina
    14. Tiernan O’Halloran
    13. Danie Poolman
    12. Dave McSharry
    11. Matt Healy
    10. Craig Ronaldson
    9. John Cooney
    1. Denis Buckley
    2. Tom McCartney
    3. Rodney Ah You
    4. Mick Kearney
    5. Aly Muldowney
    6. John Muldoon (captain)
    7. Jake Heenan
    8. George Naoupu

Replacements:

16. Shane Delahunt
    17. Ronan Loughney
    18. Finlay Bealham
    19. Andrew Browne
    20. Eoghan Masterson
    21. Ian Porter
    22. Jack Carty
    23. Darragh Leader

Unavailable/Injured: Jason Harris-Wright, Sean Henry, Nathan White, Michael Swift, Willie Faloon, Eoin McKeon, Kieran Marmion, Bundee Aki, Robbie Henshaw, Niyi Adeolokun.

Cardiff Blues: 15 Rhys Patchell, 14 Alex Cuthbert, 13 Cory Allen, 12 Gavin Evans, 11 Joaquin Tuculet, 10 Gareth Anscombe, 9 Lloyd Williams; 1 Sam Hobbs, 2 Kristian Dacey, 3 Taufa'ao Filise, 4 Jarrad Hoeata, 5 Lou Reed, 6 Josh Turnbull, 7 Ellis Jenkins (c), 8 Josh Navidi

Replacements: 16 Rhys Williams, 17 Thomas Davies, 18 Scott Andrews, 19 Filo Paulo, 20 Macauley Cook, 21 Tavis Knoyle, 22 Gareth Davies, 23 Tom Isaacs

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

There was always going to be at least 2 changes in the backs so Pat's gone for the least disruption. I would have liked for Finn to start but happy enough with that.

Cardiff have a reasonably strong team named so it'll be a tight one. I see that Navidi has recovered which is a balls as he always seems to go well against us.

we've got very few chances against that team. :o Probably their best, Warburton and Amorosino aside I'm a big fan of Masterson, but Lam made a wise choice, experience needed for this kind of away games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

I look at that Cardiff side, and I look at their position in the league, and I just can't square the two. Hopefully for Connacht they won't click just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭typhoony

it was their backrow that did all the damage in the 2nd half of the home game, would have preferred Masterson to George, but at least he can be sprung from the bench early. still worried about Poolman at centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

If ever we needed a big performance by Mils it's in this one
    Need something like Clarkes performance against Toulouse

• Advertisement

wprathead wrote: »
    If ever we needed a big performance by Mils it's in this one
    Need something like Clarkes performance against Toulouse

Yeah if he does perform, I think our backline (11 to 15), even without Aki/Henshaw, can be slightly superior. 9/10 is international level for them...
    Front row will be a key, Baby Rodney has to be back to his level, to help Buck/McCartney to destroy the Cardiff scrum at 100%

we've got very few chances against that team. :o Probably their best, Warburton and Amorosino aside I'm a big fan of Masterson, but Lam made a wise choice, experience needed for this kind of away games
    I look at that Cardiff side, and I look at their position in the league, and I just can't square the two. Hopefully for Connacht they won't click just yet.

Cardiff always have a great team on paper.....but paper is one thing, results are another.....and they're results are always distinctly average.

We have the beating of them in the front 5 and provided we keep that backrow quiet and Ronaldson kicks well.....I think we can get the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Funk It

Was supposed to be heading to this, but anyways moving along from that, my mate who's a massive Cardiff fan fears for their front row in this. I'm just hoping Rodney can pull out a performance like he did at home v Saracens.

Another massive part of the pitch to look at will be Cuthbert v Healy, such a massive size difference, will be interesting.

Also would have liked to see Naoupu start from the bench.

Really looking forward to this, could be a key result for us. Lineouts should be better tomorrow night and all.

God, but I really dislike that team. 3 fullbacks and no centre cover. I know mils can play in the centre and darragh can play in the centre and dani can play in the centre but are any of them particularly good in the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Leader has defensive weakness for 13, Poolman offensive one, and Muliaina isn't fast enough.. Maybe Finn is the best option after all...

What defensive weakness does Leader have in 13?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

ouncer wrote: »
    God, but I really dislike that team. 3 fullbacks and no centre cover.

Tiernan has played the majority of his rugby on the wing and his try last week was a wingers try despite wearing 15. So really the only player out of position is Dani.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

God, but I really dislike that team. 3 fullbacks and no centre cover. I know mils can play in the centre and darragh can play in the centre and dani can play in the centre but are any of them particularly good in the centre.

oh ouncer, when will you start making sense. No cover and then mention the cover

You talking about Ireland ouncer?

its_phil wrote: »
    What defensive weakness does Leader have in 13?

I'd say it's more in general rather than defensive issues at 13, you wouldn't characterise him as much of a beast in the tackle....I'd say he could be prone to falling off tackles if big lads were sent hard down his channel.....that's just my take on it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Advertisement