Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

7 tries
    5 points.
    A masterclass in kicking from the tee from Ronaldson
    Players taken off early and rested

A great nights work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

We should really have the attitude of chasing 4th and 5th. We are only 5points behind Ospreys now and 7points off 4th.
    6 point cushion on Scarlets and 10 on Edinburgh

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

We went about that in exactly the right way. Heenan's been getting sharper and sharper by the match and Muldowney is in immense form.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Healy for lions.

Ronaldson for ireland

Lam for freedom of galway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

d-gal wrote: »
    We should really have the attitude of chasing 4th and 5th. We are only 5points behind Ospreys now and 7points off 4th.

8 points on Edinburgh I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

freyners wrote: »
    Healy for lions.

Ronaldson for ireland

The Lions is a long way away yet. Far too early to be calling for player's inclusion.

And I don't think Ronaldson has done enough to displace Sexton.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Hagz wrote: »
    The Lions is a long way away yet. Far too early to be calling for player's inclusion.

And I don't think Ronaldson has done enough to displace Sexton.

Curse you and your more sober logic

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

What's just struck me looking at the table is being only 11 points off top with 75% of the season gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Healy for Ireland, TOH for IrEland, and now Ronaldson for Ireland:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

I'd say Healy will be disappointed not to have had his hat trick tonight, he should have finished that one had his foot in touch for.

It was very pleasing though, we looked so good in attack, capable of scoring through the pack and through backline moves.

But the most pleasing of all was Ronaldson's kicking from the tee, immense stuff, 8 from 9 in tough conditions and all bar 1 or 2 were missable kicks.

It's by far the most important task on a rugby field and it would strengthen us so much if he could manage to keep up that sort of form with the boot. He's a fine player from open play too, well able to carry the ball and he just seems to have more ability and confidence to control the game than Carty

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Big game next week in Cardiff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

7 tries
    5 points.
    A masterclass in kicking from the tee from Ronaldson
    Players taken off early and rested

A great nights work

And Robbie MOTM scoring the winning try for Ireland.....not a bad day at all!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ouncer

If I were to ask a question its Finn and bealham. Rodney has not been great and dani is obviously a better winger than centre.

freyners wrote: »
    Healy for lions.

Ronaldson for ireland

Lam for freedom of galway

With a more realistic approach I'd say

Henshaw for Lions in the near future
    Healy and Poolman in the extended Irish squad (more than Leader IMO)
    TOH may well push Mils/leader out of the first XV
    Ronaldson for 10, undoubtedly (open play and kicking from the tee were class act, and TOH/Leader/Porter can find touch if he's bothered by his recent injury)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Big game next week in Cardiff.

Looking at next weekend's fixtures, if we beat Blues that would take them all but out of top 6 contention. If Leinster can beat Scarlets it will really hurt their chances of 6th.

Watching Robbie today made me realise how much we have been missing him. If we can get him back from the 6N uninjured and Bundi back fit, we could be looking at huge end to the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Looking at next weekend's fixtures, if we beat Blues that would take them all but out of top 6 contention. If Leinster can beat Scarlets it will really hurt their chances of 6th.

Watching Robbie today made me realise how much we have been missing him. If we can get him back from the 6N uninjured and Bundi back fit, we could be looking at huge end to the season.

Being honest even if we lost to Blues I think we should finish ahead of them as they have a rotten run in but it is another very significant game. Being honest we are unlikely to get much away to Munster and we have 3 sides chasing the play offs to come to Galway so Cardiff and Zebre are the most winnable games.

Looking at Cardiff and Edinburgh earlier I think Edinburgh had enough to win that game but Cardiff struck at good times and got a few breaks. I think Cardiff is very winnable if Connacht go there with conviction they can score trys. Defence wasn't tested tonight but wasn't good enough the two weeks previous so will need to be better in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭typhoony

not sure of the logistics of it but if Donnybrook was available it would be big advantage if they could train there for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

typhoony wrote: »
    not sure of the logistics of it but if Donnybrook was available it would be big advantage if they could train there for a few days.
    Thats would be a matter for the Leinster Branch, could be a lot of politics involved. Ditto for UCD. Might be easier to rent out Drum, Salthill Devon's ground for the day but I don't know if that is the same type of pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ouncer

connachta wrote: »
    Healy for Ireland, TOH for IrEland, and now Ronaldson for Ireland:D
    Healy very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

TOH very impressive
    Also thought whole backline played better when Finn came on and moved to centre and Poolman went to wing (nothing against Niyi)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

No we shouldn't. Scarlets have a much easier run in than Connacht and it's going to be touch and go to stay ahead of them. Getting 6th should be the focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Agreed. Why not go hell for leather for one of those. You never achieve anything if you don't raise your goals

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I think the team have been looking upwards all season, not just targeting 6th, but I wonder if at times they got a bit cocky and didn't take the other teams going for 6th seriously - the loss to Edinburgh and draw with Cardiff particularly. We have a much tougher run-in - we need to realise that we're not guaranteed wins against any team - and need to target every game like a cup final. Zebre and Cardiff are must-win games, and we will probably need at least one more win. Ulster at home is the best chance of that, maybe Ospreys in the last game if they have already secured a playoff spot and can't be overtaken, but that's not looking likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

I'd love to finish 4th/5th as much as anyone, but I do think we need to be measured in our approach right now. Just keeping Scarlets (who have an easier run in) at a push should be the immediate target by just winning. The Ospreys will welcome back a lot of players after the 6N and will be stronger again. Our season depends on staying strong at home and beating Zebre and Cardiff away while hoping Scarlets continue to be awful away from home. One game at a time.

Heard Bundee will be back for Gloucester and the team are desperate to win the trophy.

Cardiif isn't easy to play away. Connacht must benefit more of the " Sportsground effect" to beat two of Glasgow/Ospreys/Ulster at home. All those are winnable, these teams are less impressive than they were in the past few years

Never correct to rejoice about injuries, but those two could really help Connacht "Josh Navidi and Lucas Amorosino were injury victims"

Cuthbert, Anscombe, Kristian Dacey, Scott Andrews and Cory Allen have all been made available for selection for Friday night's home Guinness PRO12 clash with Connacht Rugby

If only Joe could do the same with Henshaw, in exchange we could rest him against Munster/Gloucester

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

connachta wrote: »
    Cuthbert, Anscombe, Kristian Dacey, Scott Andrews and Cory Allen have all been made available for selection for Friday night's home Guinness PRO12 clash with Connacht Rugby

If only Joe could do the same with Henshaw, in exchange we could rest him against Munster/Gloucester

Never in a million years gonna happen
    None of those Welsh players started vs France

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Robbie hurt his ankle anyway, I was worried for him. Look at the bandage around his ankle when he scores that try. He needs a rest between those test matches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Advertisement