Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many of your Facebook "Friends" are dead?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Only one. He died on my birthday 4 years ago. :eek:

Plenty of former work colleagues post stuff on his timeline, as if he wasn't dead, like Happy 50th and so on. We have 22 mutual friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

I do the very same with GAA result with someone that was from Leitrim.

I figure if they ever manage to win, it might just shock 'em back to life :p

That's the most heartbreaking yet heartwarming thing I've read on boards, fair play :) Say you're a great friend to have!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Death is life's natural change agent. Online social media shouldn't cause people to live forever.

They don't, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

I lost my brother to suicide December 2014. He was 24 years old. He would deactivate and reactivate his Facebook profile all the time. When he died it had been deactivated. I knew his email password & reset his Facebook password. I logged in and took screenshots of some of my favourite messages and posts from him. I have lived in Canada since August 2013 so we talked a few times on messenger. I deactivated it again, I do know the password and I'm glad I can reactivate it at any time... It would be weird though he would show up as online!

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

None thankfully. I have my own passwords put aside and have asked my family to deactivate Facebook should the worst happen.

For me, grief is a private thing. I'd rather not have my page turn into a shrine of meaningless platitudes from people who didn't bother to keep in touch while I was alive.

Sounds bitter I know, but there ya go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I think just one of my Facebook friends is dead. She was a very popular girl from my school who was killed in a car crash aged 17. It was a very sad incident, I didn't know her well but she was one of those people who everyone just loved because they were such genuinely decent people. People even upload old photos and tag her profile in them, I think its nice. Her 12 year old sister posts on her page a lot and her posts are so innocent it would bring you close to tears.
    Anyway I think its a good thing, it keeps the memories of our loved ones strong. Seeing pictures of them, things they said and posted, videos of them even, Im sure it helps families through the grieving process immensely having their loved ones 'alive' online.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

This might be worth a bump after more than a year becuase

a) another elderly relative died over Christmas so now I have four dead Facebook Friends.

b) Somebody is writing about this very issue in today's Irish Times.

Brief highlights

Facebook and Gmail: what happens to your data after your death?

By Marie Boran

First published:
    Thu, Apr 16, 2015, 01:55

In 2005, a motorcycle accident took the life of 22-year-old Nebraskan Loren Williams. In an effort to find out more about her son’s life, Karen Williams obtained his Facebook password from a friend and emailed the social networking company asking if she could log into the account and read his posts.

Within a couple of hours the password had been changed and she was locked out. By logging in to her son’s Facebook account, Williams was in breach of the terms of service.

Under US law Williams was forced to sue Facebook Inc in order to obtain a court order to gain access to the account. At the time, this case was unique but as social networking sites grew in popularity, more users inevitably meant more deceased users.

Apparently there are a few things you can do now to get at your deceased family member's data but it's difficult.
    Thats ridiculous! Why should my family get access to my account just because Im dead? I wouldn't want them reading my private messages with friends/girlfriends anymore when Im dead than I do now. Ive said some mean things about them maybe if I was having a fight wit them at the time and I wouldn't want them to see that, or anything sexual I may have said.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

One.
    She died of cervical cancer aged 30 years and 5 months. Far too young and far too fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭1stuey1

weirdly alot, around 8 if not more... one murdered someone, then himself, around 3 sucicide, cancer, car accidents and bike accidents... I dont like seeing the pages though, especially when someone changes them to 'memorials'

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

This is something I notice more and more as time goes by. In such cases I notice the persons page turns into a tribute page.
    One person I know of has been dead since 2009 and I find it strange that his page still exists.
    Another was a much older man but the last photo on his page was his Birthday in 2013 and I get chills sometimes thinking he wasn't around for his next one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Detached Retina

5 people on my page that I'm aware of. 3 Lads were suicides, 1 passed from bowel cancer and 1 girl in a car accident while travelling :( knew them quite well, enough to have been sad they were gone and miss them.
    The Suicides were the worst, as they on the surface had everything to live for. Their posts in 2 cases seemed absolutely normal right up to the point the did it, making plans and all that. The friend with cancer was a shock though too as he'd only told his partner and adult daughter, so his passing seemed really sudden. Had been chatting with him a couple of days before.
    Actually would nearly have been 6, a lad I knew from years ago had friend requested me and 2 days later one of my friends told me he'd died suddenly of what turned out to be liver failure. So needless to say I didn't accept as it would have been bad to see activity from him coming up on his friends news feed after he'd just died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Time is an abyss... profound as a thousand nights... Centuries come and go... To be unable to grow old is terrible... Death is not the worst... Can you imagine enduring centuries, experiencing each day the same futilities...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Time is an abyss... profound as a thousand nights... Centuries come and go... To be unable to grow old is terrible... Death is not the worst... Can you imagine enduring centuries, experiencing each day the same futilities...

Anne Rice?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 491 ✭✭Dozer Dave

eternal wrote: »
    Anne Rice?

Uncle bens niece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

None, thankfully - but I can fully understand posts etc to the pages of those who are deceased, as a comfort. Makes complete sense to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 491 ✭✭Dozer Dave

eternal wrote: »
    Are you following me?

Are you on the twitter machine or something :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Dozer Dave wrote: »

I knew you were going to say that. I hate predictability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭LadyAthame

Dozer Dave wrote: »
    I've been on the sewing machine all night!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭FueledbyCoffee

One friend of mine has passed. Think it's lovely to see photos and happy times on her page and read the mad pm's we used to send each other.
    I know her family get comfort from this as they know that we are all thinking of her and not forgetting her.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

One that I know of, a boardsie who I got to know and admire from my time on the Photography forum. One of my favourite photographs that I taken was a portrait of him. He was a gas character and died far too young.

His family and friends post messages up at Christmas and on his birthday which I think is lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Kwiecien

I had 2 deceased friends on Facebook. One of their accounts was deactivated by his family a year after his death (his brother contacted Facebook admin to shut down the page).

Another deceased friends page is still active. Some people write messages and put up angel pictures and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

One of mine died in a car crash on Saturday and he's still signed in on his phone. Freaks me out a little, particularly since his funeral hasn't happened yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Two. One beautiful friend who killed herself in her mid 20s. She was an exquisite writer too, sometimes I just mill through her posts to be reminded of her refreshing take on things. Still hard to believe she died the way she did.

The second is a close friend who died in an accident last year. I couldn't look at his profile up until recently. Our other mates use his page to tag him in old photos they've found of him, usually of him pulling mental faces or balancing a pint on his head.

There's a video of him up there dancing around the kitchen to Barry White's My First My Last My Everything, fag in mouth, pint in hand, giving it socks for the camera. It was shared just after his funeral. Sometimes I just sit with it on repeat, I'd say I've spent days watching it at this point. It's everything that he is and was to everybody. God I miss him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

One of my school friends committed suicide last year when I was in 6th year. It was just before Christians. He is the only friend I have who has died.
    It should be none

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Guy I know killed himself last week, was shocking seeing people tag him in RIP posts. I didn't even hear about it his death until I saw all the posts on his timeline. He was only 24 and had severe depression, he was also big into gay rights I was sad he wasnt around to see the referendum pass :( Sure he would of loved to have seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

17 and 20 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

OP wrote:
    I now have three "Friends" who are no longer with us
    OP, I'm sure you're very nice and all, but I hope we never become friends, 'cos you seem to be a jinx.

It's up to six now, so we really won't get on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Three, one of whom was married to my great uncle, who is also deceased.

Advertisement