Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many of your Facebook "Friends" are dead?

Options
  • 27-03-2014 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭

Seriously?

I now have three "Friends" who are no longer with us but whose online presences linger as memorials from their loved ones. One of these people only died last week, a relative who was in his early 70s and died after a long illness.

The other two were former workmates who both died young, in their 30s and 40s through cancer and a road accident respectively.

Friends and relatives, especially their children, continue to post sporadically to their pages, telling them how much they miss them, how they still think of them and recognising the anniversaries of major life events, weddings, birthdays and of course theiir days of passing.

This may seem a little weird to people who grew up before the era of the internet. But I actually find it, at least in the cases of the people I know, very respectful and moving. It's the Internet Age's equivalent of lighting a candle in a church in memory of somebody departed.

Naturally, it is a much less private commemoration but then privacy is one of the great victims of our age. And it is possible that as time progresses and more and more users of social media shuffle of this mortal coil, the standard of these commemorations could get dreadfully mawkish and tawdry.

But nevertheless I will continue to drop in occasionally on my old departed friends whose vibrant young faces still beam from their home pages, just to be reminded of them and of what they meant to other people less reticent than I about posting their feelings for all to see.

Have any of you had similar experiences with online friends whose presence is now eternally virtual? What do you think of social media as a shrine to departed loved ones?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

They are all Dead to Me !

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

uch wrote: »
    They are all Dead to Me !

Or your dead to them? :p :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

None to the best of my knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

None of them, thank goodness.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Get a life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Have any of you had similar experiences with online friends whose presence is now eternally virtual? What do you think of social media as a shrine to departed loved ones?

This is going to sound a little harsh/cold maybe, but I de-friended my departed friend, alongside everyone else on my friends list last year. I have gone back to fb since, but in a much smaller way, re-friending only some. I'd find it a little odd to "friend" him again since it would be someone else accepting/rejecting the request. I'd rather remember him the way I remember others of my friends and family who died, but left no active face book account but I can see that it works as a memorial alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I've no idea, they are strangers who may not even be who they say they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I searched for a friend on facebook a few years ago, found her facebook page and she had died a few weeks earlier :(
    it was suicide, another friend had commited suicide a few weeks before, his page still gets lots of comments and old photos are posted, think its a good thing, keeps the memory alive and allows mutual friends to get some comfort knowing they arent forgoten

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Let me ask and see how many don't reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Alf. A. Male

OP, I'm sure you're very nice and all, but I hope we never become friends, 'cos you seem to be a jinx.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Thankfully just one, died only a few weeks back.

Here's a video clip of his funeral.. Most of my friends are bikers, Paul was a biker and got a bike hearse to bring him on his final ride..

The recording was made by the pillion on the back of my bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭soap1978

i see dead people on facebook
    but i think its great for the family and friends and to see the last words they wrote on facebook makes it very sad as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

Thankfully none

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

did they check in when they went to heaven? If not then it's proof it doesnt exist

• Registered Users Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I have a few. It's nice to be able to go onto their pages and look at photos from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I see dead people

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

One as a result of a motorcycle accident, the other a suicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

One. So far ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

An aqaintance of mine obsessively follows all the "Missing" posts on Facebook as in "please share this pic of Mary/Joe Bloggs who has been missing since...." and if they have a Facebook page he spends hours poreing over it gleaning all the personal info he can until it almost seems as if he knows them.
    When they, almost inevitably it seems, sadly are found to have died by suicide he's totally spooked out for a few days until the next one crops up.
    If my family member were missing i think i would be further upset if i thought ghouls like this were stalking he or she around the internet. he cant be the only one who does this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

if your not on fbook ya mite aswell be dead

• Advertisement

One. He died suddenly a number of years ago at 25. The thing is, he is asleep in his profile picture which is a bit unsettling.

My dad was an active Facebook and Twitter user. He was a fairly active internet user in general up until his final weeks. A day or two after his death I deleted every trace of him off the net. A much as I could anyway, including his browser history :P

Don't like the idea of people still present online after they pass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

On a existential level they're all dead to me.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

I don't like it or do it, but if it works for some people, let them on. For me grief is a private thing. I get quite uncomfortable when people want to talk to me about someone dead that we mutually know. I've a few mementoes and my memories, I don't like rehashing things though. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

One. He was murdered a few months ago. I haven't looked at the page since that week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

OP, I'm sure you're very nice and all, but I hope we never become friends, 'cos you seem to be a jinx.

Don't worry.

Three dead out of the simply dozens of online friends I have is a small proportion. I'm a very popular man.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

On a existential level they're all dead to me.:cool:

or at least feigning life?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭donegal__road

One. He was murdered a few months ago. I haven't looked at the page since that week.

cripes... how was he murdered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

cripes... how was he murdered?

He was stabbed. He was a good friend of my brother's and I knew him for several years but wouldn't have seen him for a long time. It was weird because I was telling a story about something funny he did once to another friend. The next day I found out he had been killed around the same time I was telling the story. Even though I didn't know him that well I couldn't stop thinking about what a horrible horrible thing it is to take away someone's life and how it happens all the time and we hardly even notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I only 'friend' dead people. There's a lot less ****e in my news feed and no one ever argues with me. It's better that way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

One. Those of us who loved her defriended her because we couldn't stand the gushing posts from others, as if her death merited a tournament of grief between divas. :(

Advertisement