Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potatoe, friend or villain?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Sir Chops wrote: »
    Nah potatoes are essential. Love them. Fave would be chips with a good southern fried dinner box. Can't beat it with lashings o salt and viniger washed down with a couple of cans of coke ! Mmmmm that's me din din decided for tonite !!!

eh no, dumbest post ive seen here in a while

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 133 ✭✭Sir Chops

silverharp wrote: »
    eh no, dumbest post ive seen here in a while

Not sure what your problem is? Veg, protein, carbs and essential minerals all included in a tasty and moreish meal and a price that ensures good value to my pocket

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Sir Chops wrote: »
    Not sure what your problem is? Veg, protein, carbs and essential minerals all included in a tasty and meal and a price that ensures good value to my pocket

you suggest drinking 2 cans of coke and a junk food meal on a nutrition forum, whats right about it?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 133 ✭✭Sir Chops

you suggest drinking 2 cans of coke and a junk food meal on a nutrition forum, whats right about it?

That's in your opinion though

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

they're so high in calories
    sea_monkey wrote: »
    and low in calories.

lads come on, who's lying here?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

well after another ten people chimed in thast they were low calorie I just decided to shut up

they're like 100 cal per spud though aren't they? hardly what I'd call a diet option although that might just be becase I can't have less than 3 at a time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

They are good as a bread replacement bad as carrot replacement.
    It gets a bit hardcore in here at times. Very few people are really going to live on chicken and broccoli alone.
    Dowseing them in butter and gravy is to be avoided.
    The thing is if potatoes are bad and chips are bad Id choose chips everytime.
    Potatoes are great once you take it handy with them and dont eat potato and gravy sambos. If you are trying to lose the last inch of bellyfat you could replace with broccoli but if you are starting out ditch the bread and eat potatoes in smallish doses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

MMMM Potatoes, surprised hasn't been mentioned already but far healthier to eat with the skin. As far as I'm aware most of the vitamins and other nutrients are in or very close to the skin as well as it providing most of the fibre.

Like to lash one in the microwave for few minutes chop into slices and fry it off, nom nom nom

• Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Not everyone nutrition goal is aiming to lose weight. People on a bulk diet are in the minority, but they aren't barred from posting.
    they're like 100 cal per spud though aren't they? hardly what I'd call a diet option although that might just be becase I can't have less than 3 at a time
    That portion control isn't diet friendly, not the spuds ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 nearlythereacca

'Potatoes are almost a perfect food.

You can live off a diet of 90% potato and be perfectly healthy'

Sorry, but this statement is simply not true.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

'Potatoes are almost a perfect food.

You can live off a diet of 90% potato and be perfectly healthy'

Sorry, but this statement is simply not true.

Go ask 300 years of Irish history. mostly potato, small amounts of milk, oats and meat. Before the famine Irish people were observed to be 'very fair', good bone structure and lack of crowded teeth is indicative of good nutritive status.

Or go ask the highlanders of Papua New Guinea, whose diet is 90% sweet potato:

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.ie/2010/05/sweet-potatoes.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Washed baby potatoes with the skins left on, boiled from cold in lightly salted water with 5/6 peeled garlic cloves, drain off when cooked, the garlic will go lovely and mushy when take it out, fork it into a paste, add pepper to this paste, and add it back into your baby potatoes, loads of freshly chopped chive and/or parsley and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.

Optionally you can add some butter, scallions and half a chilli (or powder).

As nice as potatoes get in my opinion and you don't have to have them with any butter or the oil if you'e so inclined.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

I've nothing to add to the potato debate other than they're delicious. I just wanted to comment to get that massive username off the main forum page..it's messing up the layout! Sorry OCD has kicked in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Swarlez

Essien wrote: »
    Home made hash brown is the business with fried egg and bacon. Well I use sweet potato and it's unfecking real, I'm sure regular spuds would do the trick too though.

I never really understood the bad name they got.

could you post up your recipe for this? Sounds really nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Swarlez wrote: »
    could you post up your recipe for this? Sounds really nice!

Not much of a recipe but...

Peel and roughly grate some sweet potato.

Finely chop some onion. I use about 4 grams of sweet potato to 1 gram of onion.

Mix it up and season it with pepper and whatever else you fancy, I usually put in a little bit of salt and garlic.

You can mix it with olive oil at that stage or just put some in the pan when you fry it, whatever suits really.

Like I said, it's not much of a recipe, just something that's pretty simple and tastes the business. I used to try make them into little shaped hash browns using egg and flour and stuff but it just wasn't worth the bother.

I'd have this with grilled bacon, cherry tomatoes and egg fairly regularly and it's just one of those thing I'll never get sick of.

My favourite potato recipe at the moment is potato rosti.

Grate a potato, squeeze out as much excess liquid as you can.

Place in frying pan on a high-ish heat with a mix of butter and coconut oil in one of these rings to keep the shape.

Fry 5 mins a side, done.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Place in frying pan on a high-ish heat with a mix of butter and coconut oil in one of these rings to keep the shape.
    My mother has metal pastry cutting rings that could be used, though most of todays are probably plastic.

You could possible form rings by getting stiff aluminium foil, like chinese takeaway trays and folding it over and rolling around a tin can or rolling pin to form the shape. A tin can or coke can is usually plastic lined so would not really work well.

I have done rosti type things in the oven, no rings, just blob it down.

rubadub wrote: »
    My mother has metal pastry cutting rings that could be used, though most of todays are probably plastic.

You could possible form rings by getting stiff aluminium foil, like chinese takeaway trays and folding it over and rolling around a tin can or rolling pin to form the shape. A tin can or coke can is usually plastic lined so would not really work well.

I have done rosti type things in the oven, no rings, just blob it down.

Blobbing it on works fine too! I just like pretty circles. Pop a poached egg and some chopped chives on top and it looks like something out of masterchef :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Go ask 300 years of Irish history. mostly potato, small amounts of milk, oats and meat. Before the famine Irish people were observed to be 'very fair', good bone structure and lack of crowded teeth is indicative of good nutritive status.

Sweet potato is about as similar to potatoes as chicken is to a battered sausage

Caliden wrote: »
    Sweet potato is about as similar to potatoes as chicken is to a battered sausage

Well, no, on a genetic basis their as similar as one breed of chicken is to another breed of chicken.

White potato has a bit more protein, and sweet potato has beta carotene and a bit more potassium, that's it really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Dan Quayle would be proud of this thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

Our Year wrote: »
    Dan Quayle would be proud of this thread.

Did he invent the quale egg?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

Would height be considered an indicator of good nutritive status? I've read some stuff about pre-Famine Ireland that suggests that Irish people were comparatively tall compared to British people, for instance. The results of the research weren't all that definitive though.

CeannRua wrote: »
    Would height be considered an indicator of good nutritive status? I've read some stuff about pre-Famine Ireland that suggests that Irish people were comparatively tall compared to British people, for instance. The results of the research weren't all that definitive though.

Not really, generally height correlates a lot with dairy consumption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Mellor wrote: »
    It's a fact that a person once made the above claim, but it's not necessarily a fact that he was right.

Well a number of historians I have read up (as I had to do an essay on the Irish Famine for university) on seem to agree that the amount was roughly somewhere between 10-14lbs per person, so they hardly plucked that number out of thin air. I believe as well Irish people at the time were roughly about two inches taller than their English counterparts due to the good nutrients they received from the potato. Anyway, I don't mean to turn this into a history thread. The conclusion really is, potatoes are not evil.:)

Not really, generally height correlates a lot with dairy consumption.

Was thinking as much.

Well a number of historians I have read up (as I had to do an essay on the Irish Famine for university) on seem to agree that the amount was roughly somewhere between 10-14lbs per person, so they hardly plucked that number out of thin air. I believe as well Irish people at the time were roughly about two inches taller than their English counterparts due to the good nutrients they received from the potato. Anyway, I don't mean to turn this into a history thread. The conclusion really is, potatoes are not evil.:)

It's years since I read works about the Famine but the most detailed statistical analysis about height I remember reading was by Cormac O Grada. I only had a quick look at this yesterday but the difference between Irish and English people is 1 inch rather than 2 inches. I don't think the difference was all down to the potato http://www.persee.fr/web/revues/home/prescript/article/hism_0982-1783_1996_num_11_1_1472

Just in case anyone is interested in the Irish diet before the potato, it was milk, with a side of milk, and a glass of milk:

http://www.bonappetit.com/trends/article/what-the-irish-ate-before-potatoes?utm_content=buffer16d0c&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

• Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Caliden wrote: »

Not really. And its pretty clueless to suggest that.
    This idea that the sweet potato is the good twin is largely false. They have slightly different nutrient profile, but its minor.
    I think it started with the low GI diet, sweet potatos were painted as far superior due to being lower GI. Even ignoring the fact that GI on its own is pretty uselss, the different in GI between the two potatos applies to them when RAW. Cook them and the difference is negligible

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

Mellor wrote: »
    Not really. And its pretty clueless to suggest that.
    This idea that the sweet potato is the good twin is largely false. They have slightly different nutrient profile, but its minor.
    I think it started with the low GI diet, sweet potatos were painted as far superior due to being lower GI. Even ignoring the fact that GI on its own is pretty uselss, the different in GI between the two potatos applies to them when RAW. Cook them and the difference is negligible

This
    Sweet potato has slightly more calories and quite frankly makes useless mash which lets be fair is the most important factor here.
    It is less filling in my experience but it is nice once in a blue moon as a change. I think i read somewhere that it has more fibre but I'm not sure.

Advertisement