Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potatoe, friend or villain?

Options
  • 27-03-2014 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭

The last time I had potatoes was Christmas day on the basis that its a high carb starchy veg so not to be eaten on a regular basis. Yet have come across other opinions that this is "unfair" and that even if potatoes have a high GI , if you eat them with a healthy meal say with a good portion of green veg then the GI is less important?

or does the answer depend if someone is in weight loss mode or maintenance?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i cut them out because they're so high in calorie and they go soooooo well with butter which is also quite high in calories

i don't think they're unhealthy at all though

--edit
    and surely just about any high GI food is ok if you eat it with other bulkier/low gi foods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

God, I love potatoes! Couldn't give them up personally! Really, I don't think there as bad as some people seem to say. I mean we were eating them for long enough as a nation (albeit we were doing more physically demanding labour) but really I don't think I'll kill you if you are reasonably active. Plus, there full of all kinds of good nutrients. Is it not true that they provide you were almost all of the nutrients your body needs, bar one or two things which? I suppose you could eat sweet potatoes instead if you were worried about the regular potatoes not being so great. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

Great food. Full of vitamins and low in calories.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭IlmoNT4

Friend...Natural food that contains nutrients. I'd take potatoes over rice or other carbohydrate foods. Baked potatoes with avocado and salad is a really great dinner...No harm eating with butter either

Total Fat 0.1 g 0%
    Saturated fat 0 g 0%
    Polyunsaturated fat 0 g
    Monounsaturated fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
    Sodium 6 mg 0%
    Potassium 421 mg 12%
    Total Carbohydrate 17 g 5%
    Dietary fiber 2.2 g 8%
    Sugar 0.8 g
    Protein 2 g 4%
    Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 32%
    Calcium 1% Iron 4%
    Vitamin D 0% Vitamin B-6 15%
    Vitamin B-12 0% Magnesium 5%

loulou2009 wrote: »
    Friend...Natural food that contains nutrients. I'd take potatoes over rice or other carbohydrate foods. Baked potatoes with avocado and salad is a really great dinner...No harm eating with butter either

Total Fat 0.1 g 0%
    Saturated fat 0 g 0%
    Polyunsaturated fat 0 g
    Monounsaturated fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
    Sodium 6 mg 0%
    Potassium 421 mg 12%
    Total Carbohydrate 17 g 5%
    Dietary fiber 2.2 g 8%
    Sugar 0.8 g
    Protein 2 g 4%
    Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 32%
    Calcium 1% Iron 4%
    Vitamin D 0% Vitamin B-6 15%
    Vitamin B-12 0% Magnesium 5%

I agree, I always find rice seems stodgy to me in my stomach after I eat it, that it just doesn't feel 'right' whereas I find potatoes cause me no problems whatsoever.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

silverharp wrote: »
    The last time I had potatoes was Christmas day on the basis that its a high carb starchy veg so not to be eaten on a regular basis. Yet have come across other opinions that this is "unfair" and that even if potatoes have a high GI , if you eat them with a healthy meal say with a good portion of green veg then the GI is less important?

The answer is to limit portion size! A lot of people just have a tendency to eat too many potatoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,574 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If you eat your weight in potatoes on a daily basis: foe.

If you eat a proper portion: friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

Potatoes are fine if eaten on their own but they taste much better when cooked in fat or topped with it :) It always surprises me when people start blaming potatoes for the weight gain when it's actually they way they're eaten is the real culprit. Potatoes aren't high in calories but make them into potato mash with cream and butter and presto! you have a calorie bomb and we all know that carbs&fat eaten together is fastest way to gain weight. I like potatoes a lot but I try to eat them with low fat seasonings; I love butter and double cream too and I eat those with non-starchy veg.
    It's the same with the bread too. Bread gets a lot of bashing these days but you rarely see a person eating a plain slice of bread; same as plain boiled potato doesn't appeal to most of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Potatoes and butter are fine to eat. In fact you should eat veg (not necessarily potatoes) with fat as a lot of vitamins are fat soluble and this is how they are absorbed into your body. Cooking in fat or butter helps this absorption.

It's too many potatoes and too much fat that is the problem. Learn to control your food portions. Too much of any one thing is going to be bad even if it's the healthiest food in the world.

It's not the combination of fat and carbs that will get you its the amounts you eat.

People don't get fat cos of the way they mix food they get fat cos they eat too much of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,824 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Nothing worse than a dry potato IMO.
    I could easily and happily live the rest of my life without ever eating another potato in that form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,574 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I could easily and happily live the rest of my life without ever eating another potato in that form.

Maybe switch to cheese 'n' onion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,522 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Crispy roast potatoes cooked in olive oil and goose fat. Nom nom nom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

A discussion on potatoes and no mention of variety; amateur hour:D

Eat high fat low carb myself but the spuds weren't completely cut

occasional boiled Golden Wonder, Rooster part boiled and roast in goose fat, boiled Kerr Pink or two with bacon and cabbage and copious amounts of olive oil and butter...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Potatoes are almost a perfect food.

You can live off a diet of 90% potato and be perfectly healthy.

They are also really filling per calorie so are the perfect addition to a weight loss plan in my opinion.

Chips and crisps however are pretty much the most unhealthy things you can eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Potatoes and butter are fine to eat. In fact you should eat veg (not necessarily potatoes) with fat as a lot of vitamins are fat soluble and this is how they are absorbed into your body. Cooking in fat or butter helps this absorption.

It's too many potatoes and too much fat that is the problem. Learn to control your food portions. Too much of any one thing is going to be bad even if it's the healthiest food in the world.

It's not the combination of fat and carbs that will get you its the amounts you eat.

People don't get fat cos of the way they mix food they get fat cos they eat too much of it.

thanks, that squares off some of the comments here. I like butter , coconut oil etc.

Happy enough with portion control , I might have rice a a few times a week but keep the portions on the small side , so good to know I could alternate with potatoes.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

I got into the best shape of my life eating a kilo of spuds a day, felt fantastic too. That is the equivalent in calories to 250 grams of rice. I know what I find much more satiating on a calorie restricted diet. I find nothing really beats the potato for satiety carbwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Mars Bar wrote: »

Baby new potatoes, skins on, cut in half and boiled.

Very tasty with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,824 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I do like baby potatoes alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I suppose you could eat sweet potatoes instead if you were worried about the regular potatoes not being so great. :)
    I have changed to sweet potatoes as I believe regular potatoes are causing skin problems. And I read sweet potatoes are not just an alternative but good for the skin. I have been off them over 2 months now
    and have seen improvements.
    Chips and crisps however are pretty much the most unhealthy things you can eat.
    What is so bad about chips? Is there any way to reduce any bad effects?

I make sweet potato chips with coconut oil in an air fryer. I was reading a book which first mentioned the potatoes/skin condition link and he warned against fried food, but had no issue with baked foods, which made me question what is so bad about frying. If its temperature then they could be fried at a lower temp, and baked stuff could be at a higher temp and so possibly be worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I cut them out of my diet mainly because my girlfriend is intolerant to them (as shown by a recent test) and she would just be bent over in discomfort after she ate them.

Since giving them up I've been having trouble making up for the shortfall in calories.

I think it's time to bring back the potato as I'm just not seeing the gains I would like and it's mainly due to a calorie deficit for my requirements.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 GuyFawkes

Potato - friend.

Sweet potato - lover.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Few potatoes par-boiled, then roasted and seasoned with a small bit of salt, some black pepper and some paprika. Deadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,170 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Our entire nation survived on very little other than potatoes for hundreds of years. I wouldn't recommend that though. They are like most things, consume in moderation and be careful what you season them with. Be grand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

Heat some butter with chopped garlic and sieve it into the mash. Topp with grated cheese. Make sure there is so much meat and veg on the plate you can only have about a quater left for the mash. Never did me any bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Home made hash brown is the business with fried egg and bacon. Well I use sweet potato and it's unfecking real, I'm sure regular spuds would do the trick too though.

I never really understood the bad name they got.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

rubadub wrote: »
    What is so bad about chips? Is there any way to reduce any bad effects?

I make sweet potato chips with coconut oil in an air fryer. I was reading a book which first mentioned the potatoes/skin condition link and he warned against fried food, but had no issue with baked foods, which made me question what is so bad about frying. If its temperature then they could be fried at a lower temp, and baked stuff could be at a higher temp and so possibly be worse.

Just that they are a really high-reward food, very high in calories per the satiety that they provide.

You can then get into things like acrylamide, which I don't think the science is too certain of at the moment.

I think the main thing is that they are usually fried in crappy oil and are ridiculously easy to overeat.

I have a feeling the only nutrient the potato lacks in is vitamin A! History fact coming at ya: ''A working man would eat 14lb (6.5kg) of potatoes a day!!:eek: A family with 4 children would consume 5 tons of potatoes per annum with any excess going to the pigs or chickens.''

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

I have a feeling the only nutrient the potato lacks in is vitamin A! History fact coming at ya: ''A working man would eat 14lb (6.5kg) of potatoes a day!!:eek: A family with 4 children would consume 5 tons of potatoes per annum with any excess going to the pigs or chickens.''
    Is that historical like the bible was historical?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's a fact that a person once made the above claim, but it's not necessarily a fact that he was right.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 133 ✭✭Sir Chops

silverharp wrote: »

Nah potatoes are essential. Love them. Fave would be chips with a good southern fried dinner box. Can't beat it with lashings o salt and viniger washed down with a couple of cans of coke ! Mmmmm that's me din din decided for tonite !!!

Advertisement