Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Moncrieff - Newstalk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Teddington Cuddlesworth

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    The fella standing in for Sean today is doing a very good job.

Not the same without the stuttering D4 accent.

IMO Sean can dribble on about the most mundane of things but still make it interesting, not many people have that ability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Something has gone terribly wrong on the moncrieff show. Weekly TV review stops mid-sentence and a replay of an early interview kicked in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Sack the Q-Man!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

There was some eejit on the moncrieff show yesterday who used to work at newstalk apparently (I think this was the only reason he was on the show).
    He was a Dublin "rapping" Dublin comedian (I use the comedian term loosely). It is a pity he could not find a word to rhyme with "like" because he said "like" constantly when he was not rapping.
    I could not turn off the radio quick enough.
    Does anyone know the name of him so I can avoid it in future!?
    He put the "rap" in crap that is for sure!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Abandoman?

they're pretty famous on the comedy circuit in the UK. have been on the usual UK TV panel shows etc in the past couple of years.

• Advertisement

There was some eejit on the moncrieff show yesterday who used to work at newstalk apparently (I think this was the only reason he was on the show).
    He was a Dublin "rapping" Dublin comedian (I use the comedian term loosely). It is a pity he could not find a word to rhyme with "like" because he said "like" constantly when he was not rapping.
    I could not turn off the radio quick enough.
    Does anyone know the name of him so I can avoid it in future!?
    He put the "rap" in crap that is for sure!
    Combined with Ross Golden Bannon in the food slot, yesterday's show was not the greatest to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Abandoman?

they're pretty famous on the comedy circuit in the UK. have been on the usual UK TV panel shows etc in the past couple of years.

Found them on you tube that definitely sounds like him.
    If they are famous each to thier own. Maybe the Brits don't find him/them extremely irritating!?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Was funny when they were reviewing Straight Outta Compton when Esther dropped the F-Bomb saying they were recording a song called 'F*ck the Police' and Sean responded 'I beg your pardon??? shouldn't that be pronounced pooo-liiiice' :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Combined with Ross Golden Bannon in the food slot, yesterday's show was not the greatest to say the least.

He really is a poor substitute for Paolo :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Nobody will ever be able to replace Paolo:(

• Advertisement

They should have really retired that slot after Paolo died in memory of him. It's just not the same anymore.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭fartingforfun

If you really listen to the show you will hear that Sean is not funny, it is the guests who make the show funny, Sean is dirt, he has made a living out of hitching his wagon to more talented people.

If you really listen to the show you will hear that Sean is not funny, it is the guests who make the show funny, Sean is dirt, he has made a living out of hitching his wagon to more talented people.

i would argue that it's the texters that add most of the humour. sean does pretty well getting conversations going about most topics but in the past year he's let his own politics get in the way, and it's bloody annoying.

i would argue that it's the texters that add most of the humour. sean does pretty well getting conversations going about most topics but in the past year he's let his own politics get in the way, and it's bloody annoying.

Nail on head, Sean is not "talent" anyone could do his job on half the money, he don't make the show it is the guest and public who phone in who are entertaining.
    The same talentless gimps run the show , so they protect the "talent" therefore protecting their own high wages, Ireland has no need to pay "talent" six figure salaries ,if RTE dot pay top dollar who in Ireland would?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

The Q Man carries the show, without him Sean would be working in McDonalds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Disagree. To be fair to Sean, to present a 3 hour show 5 days a week is impressive...you wouldn't hear it on rte

honeybear wrote: »
    Disagree. To be fair to Sean, to present a 3 hour show 5 days a week is impressive...you wouldn't hear it on rte

Ok, but worth no more than 30k a year, if Sean won't do it for 30k plenty who could and would at the drop of a hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Most talented interviewer on radio . Extremely sharp and witty.
    Himself and Pat Kenny are several leagues beyond anybody on Irish radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Ok, but worth no more than 30k a year, if Sean won't do it for 30k plenty who could and would at the drop of a hat.

Are you available, I'd say your great crack !

Sure anytime he is on holidays or off for a day we complain about the replacements as they are not as good as Sean, that shows that not everyone is suited to his type of show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Newstalk is not RTE. The station is owned by Denis O'Brien. I would wager that Moncrieff isn't being paid one cent more than DOB thinks he's worth.

You're clearly used to a very high standard of broadcasting if your estimation of Moncrieff is anything to go by. May I ask, are there ANY broadcasters talented enough to deserve more than the average industrial wage?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭thevinylword

Sure anytime he is on holidays or off for a day we complain about the replacements as they are not as good as Sean, that shows that not everyone is suited to his type of show.

Yeah, he's top notch for me, love his show

will someone please send him his copy of the liberal agenda though, he's been going on about it for ages, and he still hasn't got his copy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

will someone please send him his copy of the liberal agenda though, he's been going on about it for ages, and he still hasn't got his copy!

Probably a hold up at the printers with all the gay agendas being printed:D

Reminds me that I havent seen or heard of Ronan Mullen in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Why is he "dirt"?

zoobizoo wrote: »
    Why is he "dirt"?

He is not funny, actually carefully listen to him on the show, he make no jokes, its the guests who make you laugh, Sean is not funny.
    List to the show the next time you get the chance, come back here and give just one example of when Sean was the initiator of something funny, he never is, he just laughs along with the guests who are making the show entertaining, he is a irish David Daddiel, and the guests are his Frank Skinner.

And that makes him "dirt"?

I listen to the show and I like him. I find him both amusing and doin what a good presenter should do which is allow others amuse the listeners as well.

jooksavage wrote: »
    You're clearly used to a very high standard of broadcasting if your estimation of Moncrieff is anything to go by. May I ask, are there ANY broadcasters talented enough to deserve more than the average industrial wage?

Perfect example was the 2 talentless DJs who moved from FM104 to RTE, terrible stuff, never met anyone who believed the strawberry alarm clock was funny , within a few months Jim-Jim was shown the door, of he went back to fm104, RTE held on to the other one (i reckon to save face for wasting money hiring them).
    Was there a bidding war for jim-jim? hell no, no one would want him.
    Fact is if any of the "talent" on irish radio was any good, the big players from the UK would have swooped in years ago to hire them.
    30k tops is what they are worth, if they don't want it off they can go, who would hire them? Only so many radio jobs in the country, no shortage of DJ's.

Fact is if any of the "talent" on irish radio was any good, the big players from the UK would have swooped in years ago to hire them.

30k tops is what they are worth, if they don't want it off they can go, who would hire them?

Why would UK stations swoop in and take Irish DJs when they have plenty of their own? And if they were approached, why would they move if they are happy living here.

You may feel, based on your own salary, that €30,000 is adequate - where are you coming up with that figure?

Presumably both the stations and advertisers are happy with the performances and the ratings and they are being paid accordingly.

I agree with your assessment of The Strawberry Alarm clock but not of Moncrieff who delivers an interesting and varied show most days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

There's a going rate presumably as in any job.
    Contracts are negotiated and differ on time slots and listenership I presume.

Advertisement