Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have peaceful, national protests yet?

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

marienbad wrote: »
    So I take it you concede the points on the validity of public protest and demonstrations then ?

You've reached that conclusion based only on your over-active imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    You've reached that conclusion based only on your over-active imagination.

So rather than getting personal and derailing the conversation will you answer the question .

Are public peaceful public demonstrations always a waste of time ?

So rather than getting personal and derailing the conversation will you answer the question .

Are public peaceful public demonstrations always a waste of time ?

You should read my posts and you'd have your answer. I've clearly stated my case repeatedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

I did address them. You've just ignored that I guess...?

I don't see where you addressed the points, I just see a generalisation and you labeling my post as delusional
    Note that no one but you is claiming that marching forced anyone to do anything.

Those are your colourful words, certainly not mine.

Pendantic personal definitions are hindering the debate I think

I'll clarify your position - marching alone, without any other forms of protest, does not result in a tangible visible change

Well then Iraq isn't a good example, because while it mainly featured street protests, there were other forms of protest involved - violence, human shields, etc.

Likewise Tunisia, which you discard, the main feature was mass street protests, however there were other forms of protest.

My argument is that marching, in the general definition (not yours), such as mass street protests can have effects, even if the desired "aim", e.g. Ban the Bomb isn't met. Examples I've given, you have discarded because they don't meet your requirements of the process of "marching alone" - which is getting pretty surreal really, I've never come across this kind of nitpicky view on politics before, which is really saying something ;)

For example, a "march" against corruption - of course there can be effects - whether they are merely to highlight and raise conciousness, public feeling on the issue, or to raise the pressure on the government to act, or to strongly effect the next election result or even to effect genuine change, regulations, laws and policy

I presume, you're going to be there saying it didn't end corruption, therefore it had no effect

You should read my posts and you'd have your answer. I've clearly stated my case repeatedly.

I have read your posts, so you believe they are always a complete waste of time. I just thought that was an amazingly black and white viewpoint so I decided to ask you.

• Advertisement

Jonny7 wrote: »
    I don't see where you addressed the points, I just see a generalisation and you labeling my post as delusional

Those are your colourful words, certainly not mine.

Pendantic personal definitions are hindering the debate I think

I'll clarify your position - marching alone, without any other forms of protest, does not result in a tangible visible change

Well then Iraq isn't a good example, because while it mainly featured street protests, there were other forms of protest involved - violence, human shields, etc.

Likewise Tunisia, which you discard, the main feature was mass street protests, however there were other forms of protest.

My argument is that marching, in the general definition (not yours), such as mass street protests can have effects, even if the desired "aim", e.g. Ban the Bomb isn't met. Examples I've given, you have discarded because they don't meet your requirements of the process of "marching alone" - which is getting pretty surreal really, I've never come across this kind of nitpicky view on politics before, which is really saying something ;)

For example, a "march" against corruption - of course there can be effects - whether they are merely to highlight and raise conciousness, public feeling on the issue, or to raise the pressure on the government to act, or to strongly effect the next election result or even to effect genuine change, regulations, laws and policy

I presume, you're going to be there saying it didn't end corruption, therefore it had no effect

Lots of points, I'll try not to miss any.

First re: Iraq. You're correct. I responded to someone else about Iraq. They claimed the Iraq protests ended Labour and Blair. I said:
    Finally, you claim the Iraq war protests were a victory, because one government in one country lost one election afterwards.

Of course the marches were held in hundreds of cities worldwide, they didn't achieve their goals and Labour would've lost without the march, considering the unpopularity of the war and Labour in general at that point.

Unless you're claiming labour would've won again if that one march hadn't occurred. Certainly you're not claiming that.

To answer your claims - well, I can't believe you're honestly saying that people wouldn't have changed their opinions about power, intelligence, etc., without that one march?? Certainly you can't believe that.

I disregarded Tunisia, yes, for all the reasons I should. It wasn't just marching around. It involved strikes, violent clashes with police, public suicides and other civil disobedience.

That not a march. Obviously. Comparing it to a "march" in the same way you compared the year long bus boycott in Montgomery to a "march" is extremely absurd.

If you'd like to discuss the range of non-violent protest, then certainly, like I've said, much of it can be effective.

It'd be quicker if you read what I said and didn't try and make me argue positions I don't hold.

One last point:

Redefining marching, to include all street protest isn't really reasonable. Marching around with signs - ie all that happens in Ireland - is a thing into itself. All forms of protest have labels. Let's not conflate them.

I have read your posts, so you believe [peaceful public demonstrations] are always a complete waste of time. I just thought that was an amazingly black and white viewpoint so I decided to ask you.

You obviously haven't read them. Lying is kinda your thing huh?

I have actually said the exact opposite of what your claiming, repeatedly, for the record.

Just to highlight the absurdity of your claims, here's some of my posts you claim to have read, which you claim mean I think all forms of non-violent protest is a waste of time;

I have in no way ever said that protest won't work. You should pay attention.

I have repeatedly said that marches on their own - which is all that happens here - will have any affect.

You have not in any way shown that to be wrong. Because it's not possible to show it's wrong.

Marches are meaningless on their own. And change can easily come without marching.
    I am claiming two things:

The effectiveness of those movements was not based in the marches alone.

And.

Those examples are both ancient in a political sense, and complete outliers.

There's probably been hundreds of anti-austerity marches in the last five years, in at least a dozen countries. Net outcome: 0

Two decades old examples, which are at very best dubious, don't cut it.
    My point, so we're all clear:

Let's put aside all ideology, and discuss tactics.

Marching around to influence people in power does not work and hasn't for ages. There's been endless protests in Ireland for the last 4-5 years and they've basically had no effect; government and politicians don't care.

They know something the protestors don't seem to understand; if you ignore the protestors nothing bad happens. They don't get voted out, it doesn't escalate and the average voter doesn't care about marchers.

So.

Put aside WHY you want change or WHAT change you want, if you want to succeed and accomplish your goals, marching doesn't work.

Claiming that people against marching don't want change is an insult to people's intelligence.

There are EASY ways to accomplish almost any goal, if enough Irish people were willing to choose to sacrifice - they CLEARLY are not.

So.

Until that point, any discussion about ideology is meaningless.
    There's no modern examples of people marching down the street making government change.

You carefully use the word protest, but that's not the same as marching. I.E. A salmon is a fish, but not all fish are salmon.

Revolutions often start as non-violent protest, but are wildly different to marching around.

Like I have said there's plenty of ways to force change; marches aren't one of them.

Lots of points, I'll try not to miss any.

First re: Iraq. You're correct. I responded to someone else about Iraq. They claimed the Iraq protests ended Labour and Blair. I said:

To answer your claims - well, I can't believe you're honestly saying that people wouldn't have changed their opinions about power, intelligence, etc., without that one march?? Certainly you can't believe that.

I disregarded Tunisia, yes, for all the reasons I should. It wasn't just marching around. It involved strikes, violent clashes with police, public suicides and other civil disobedience.

That not a march. Obviously. Comparing it to a "march" in the same way you compared the year long bus boycott in Montgomery to a "march" is extremely absurd.

If you'd like to discuss the range of non-violent protest, then certainly, like I've said, much of it can be effective.

It'd be quicker if you read what I said and didn't try and make me argue positions I don't hold.

I agree it would be quicker if we all read each others posts for example I never claimed the marches solely ended Blair and labour, but I realize at this stage that you have a tendency to reduce everything to black and white , total defeat or total victory.

You are also now trying to move the goalposts as if we were not all along discussing non violent public protest . For example you never excluded the
    Shannon protest from your argument even though that was the epitome of non violent ( against people) protest , but did include damage to property and was not a march at all.

So I take it at this stage you do agree with the effectiveness of non violent public protests in all its forms ?

You obviously haven't read them. Lying is kinda your thing huh?

I have actually said the exact opposite of what your claiming, repeatedly, for the record.

Just to highlight the absurdity of your claims, here's some of my posts you claim to have read, which you claim mean I think all forms of non-violent protest is a waste of time;

Please don't accuse posters of lying. When you start resorting to that it is time to call it a day with you .

Redefining marching, to include all street protest isn't really reasonable. Marching around with signs - ie all that happens in Ireland - is a thing into itself. All forms of protest have labels. Let's not conflate them.

Likewise finding recent examples of well-known protests that have a "marching" only element to them is going to be difficult

Even the austerity protests you mention had many elements, which included violent street battles.

Definitions aside, marching or street protests or whatever you want to call them are often a mainstay of peaceful protests in general, I don't see that changing

• Advertisement

Please don't accuse posters of lying. When you start resorting to that it is time to call it a day with you .

You have lied at least three times:

- saying that the 1963 march on Washington was known as the million man march.

- saying you'd read my posts

- saying my posts claimed that all non-violent protest was ineffective

So.

Stop that behaviour and we'll talk.

I agree it would be quicker if we all read each others posts for example I never claimed the marches solely ended Blair and labour, but I realize at this stage that you have a tendency to reduce everything to black and white , total defeat or total victory.

You are also now trying to move the goalposts as if we were not all along discussing non violent public protest . For example you never excluded the
    Shannon protest from your argument even though that was the epitome of non violent ( against people) protest , but did include damage to property and was not a march at all.

So I take it at this stage you do agree with the effectiveness of non violent public protests in all its forms ?

Talking in circles now eh?

I've clearly defined what I know to be true.

As for what you said about Labour;

"As for the Iraq war marches in the UK being a failure - I don't know how you can say that . They were effectively too late to prevent Britains involvement but they played a huge part in destroying the Labour government not to mention any 'legacy' Tony Blair hoped to leave and their memory ensured there would be no involvement in Syria .[/quote]

The implication is clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Forums like this on politics attract party members who post to support the party line. Slaves to the system. The OP is correct in my opinion. There should be a massive protest against the ruling class. There won't. If FG and Labour get the treatment FF got there would be some hope. Only when they realise that the people owe none of them anything might be get them looking over their shoulders, insecure and fearing the verdict of the people.

Forums like this on politics attract party members who post to support the party line. Slaves to the system. The OP is correct in my opinion. There should be a massive protest against the ruling class. There won't. If FG and Labour get the treatment FF got there would be some hope. Only when they realise that the people owe none of them anything might be get them looking over their shoulders, insecure and fearing the verdict of the people.

Not all posts that disagree with you need to be by people who support the party line . That could be classed as a cop out on your part and allows you to classify and dismiss any view you don't like .

If FG and Labour do get hammered at the next election who would you like to see in power ?

Also, to cap everything off, we're a modern democracy which is ranked 14th globally in terms of least corruption, not to mention some of the highest average salaries in the world..

There are no bread queues, we aren't in the throes of a dictatorship like Tunisia or Egypt or Libya were, we're not communist Czechoslovakia in the 80's, not some cesspit of corruption/economic mismanagement like Yanukovych's Ukraine we aren't we in the same economic train-wreck as Greece or Portugal

Relatively speaking - we're not gonna have dramatic protests.. plus we don't really need them

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Can people put down the handbags, please. I'd really much rather you all sort these issues out amongst yourselves, without unpleasant accusations or defences - but if you won't, then I will slap everybody involved upside the head.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

Not all posts that disagree with you need to be by people who support the party line . That could be classed as a cop out on your part and allows you to classify and dismiss any view you don't like .

If FG and Labour do get hammered at the next election who would you like to see in power ?

it doesn't matter who's in power if they get elected after feb/apr 2016, the only thing that will be on the successful minds then will be the fact that faced with plenty of evidence of more of the same corruption going on, and worse in fact when illegal bonds are changed to more "legal" ones and our childrens chidren are expected to pay for it (the list goes on!!), the people let it continue for the corrupt governments full term and will most likely do the same again taking us up to 2021 for next elections so why bother changing, they'll take over the reigns from fine gael/labour and change nothing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Also, to cap everything off, we're a modern democracy which is ranked 14th globally in terms of least corruption, not to mention some of the highest average salaries in the world..

There are no bread queues, we aren't in the throes of a dictatorship like Tunisia or Egypt or Libya were, we're not communist Czechoslovakia in the 80's, not some cesspit of corruption/economic mismanagement like Yanukovych's Ukraine we aren't we in the same economic train-wreck as Greece or Portugal

Relatively speaking - we're not gonna have dramatic protests.. plus we don't really need them

So supposing the majority of the people decided they wanted a minister out, and they wanted him out next week, not in two years.
    How would you recommend they go about achieving that, if not by protest?

So supposing the majority of the people decided they wanted a minister out, and they wanted him out next week, not in two years.

Considering that protest doesn't accomplish this, why even ask?

The only thing that would work is a media campaign, and that doesn't need any protest per se.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

If the majority of the people truly wanted that, they could contact their government TDs and tell them that they'd never see a sniff of a vote again in the next election unless that minister was gone by next week.

• Advertisement

oscarBravo wrote: »
    If the majority of the people truly wanted that, they could contact their government TDs and tell them that they'd never see a sniff of a vote again in the next election unless that minister was gone by next week.

Good luck with that. The majority hate all sorts of government things and the government still does it. Look at poll numbers of politicians world wide. They aren't great. And yet unpopular policies are still passed every day and most of the politicians that pass them get re elected.

unpopular policies are still passed every day and most of the politicians that pass them get re elected.

Because keeping everyone happy is an impossible job

Because keeping everyone happy is an impossible job

Absolutely.

Unless leaders are breaking the law, there's a system in place to remove them: elections.

Advertisement