Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have peaceful, national protests yet?

Options
  • 25-03-2014 9:09pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭

It's beyond time to be out on the streets demanding true change here.

before anyone suggests these things get hijacked can I just suggest we go and outnumber the 20 or 50 nutters that will undoubtably show up, even last week at spains massive protests there were reports of some nutters showing up but they were in a minority of compared to the 1,000,000 honest and decent people who just want change.

until there's some unity here in Ireland the corrupt are just going to keep walking all over us

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

before anyone suggests these things get hijacked can I just suggest we go and outnumber the 20 or 50 nutters that will undoubtably show up, even last week at spains massive protests there were reports of some nutters showing up but they were in a minority of compared to the 1,000,000 honest and decent people who just want change.

until there's some unity here in Ireland the corrupt are just going to keep walking all over us

What specifically are you going to protest about? The corrupt walking all over us?

I for one think that the government are doing an excellent job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

ezra_pound wrote: »
    What specifically are you going to protest about? The corrupt walking all over us?

howya Enda

if you have to ask well then you obviously haven't been watching what's been made public the last few years

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

What change? Things aren't as bad here as they are in Spain. We're starting to recover now do you think we're going to risk our stability and recovery for a few nutters who want to vent?

What are your specific damna?- general corruption as revealed over the last few years!

What are your remedies?-change in general!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

howya Enda

if you have to ask well then you obviously haven't been watching what's been made public the last few years

Sigh, must we always have these childish responses?

• Advertisement

it was only a fortnight ago that some fine gaeler stated during their ard fheis that the lack of protest was a sure sign of broad support for their actions since taking up office and going against their election manifesto and the mandate the people elected them on.

at the moment the corrupt are watching the irish people continually do nothing no matter how much corruption comes to light.

are we really going to sit aorund while enda and co run us all into the ground until april 2016 when we'll be voting the next corrupt shower in and they'll have watched us do nothing to challenge corruption and will just continue on the same as if it was still labour/fine gael or fianna fail in power!!

nobody see the danger in not having some peaceful protests?? it's amazing how much reform can be talked about once people show they want it badly enough.

it was only a fortnight ago that some fine gaeler stated during their ard fheis that the lack of protest was a sure sign of broad support for their actions since taking up office and going against their election manifesto and the mandate the people elected them on.

at the moment the corrupt are watching the irish people continually do nothing no matter how much corruption comes to light.

are we really going to sit aorund while enda and co run us all into the ground until april 2016 when we'll be voting the next corrupt shower in and they'll have watched us do nothing to challenge corruption and will just continue on the same as if it was still labour/fine gael or fianna fail in power!!

nobody see the danger in not having some peaceful protests?? it's amazing how much reform can be talked about once people show they want it badly enough.

What do you mean run us into the ground? The current executive have saved this nation and its economy from disaster.

Rhetoric rhetoric rhetoric.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Did you have something specific in mind or should we dust off our 'Down with this sort of thing' posters?

Phoebas wrote: »
    Did you have something specific in mind or should we dust off our 'Down with this sort of thing' posters?

no we should just keep doing nothing and hope for the best, one of these days the corrupt will wake up and decide to change their ways because it's the right thing to do

• Advertisement

no we should just keep doing nothing and hope for the best, one of these days the corrupt will wake up and decide to change their ways because it's the right thing to do
    Its going to be a rubbish protest if you're organising it.

"What do we want?"
    "Eh, not sure. Let's just go home and hope for the best"

Its going to be a rubbish protest if you're organising it.

"What do we want?"
    "Eh, not sure. Let's just go home and hope for the best"

no matter who or what a protest is called for or by it's the same lame excuses from the majority an the keyboard warriors

each and everytime a protest has been called the last few years the whole country was too busy to stand up for itself, how's that working out for us eh??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

ezra_pound wrote: »

You got that right! .... Depends on your definition of job

no matter who or what a protest is called for or by it's the same lame excuses from the majority an the keyboard warriors
    What excuses? I'm just asking a simple question about what specifically you want to protest about. You're the one on your keyboard calling for a protest, but I don't see you organising one - you are the keyboard warrior in this case.
    each and everytime a protest has been called the last few years the whole country was too busy to stand up for itself, how's that working out for us eh??????
    Pretty good really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

This is the 2nd or 3rd thread where i have seen you call for protests yet have never seen you post a "ok we will be meeting at xxxx o'clock at xxxx place to protest about xxxx". Why is that? Do you wish to protest but can't be arsed organizing it or are you afraid no one will turn up?

There's nothing to protest about. I have food in my belly an clothes on my back sure what else would I want?
    Pretty good actually. We're well on the way to recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    What change? Things aren't as bad here as they are in Spain. We're starting to recover now do you think we're going to risk our stability and recovery for a few nutters who want to vent?

Who said anything about the economy?
    The economy is important, but is not the only important factor in a nation's well being.
    We should be protesting against the outrageous level of corruption in the establishment. First it was the church, then the banks, then the charities, and now the entire justice system.

The Irish establishment is rotten to its core. It needs to be cleaned out, reset, and its entire structure demolished and rebuilt from scratch.
    How anyone could believe that we don't need some kind of protest is beyond me. To make it very clear: if people like Shatter won't go, we, the sovereign people of Ireland, have every right and duty to make him go.

To make it very clear: if people like Shatter won't go, we, the sovereign people of Ireland, have every right and duty to make him go.
    And you'll get that opportunity at the next general election.
    In the meantime, he is the democratically elected Minister for Justice.

Who said anything about the economy?
    The economy is important, but is not the only important factor in a nation's well being.
    We should be protesting against the outrageous level of corruption in the establishment. First it was the church, then the banks, then the charities, and now the entire justice system.

The Irish establishment is rotten to its core. It needs to be cleaned out, reset, and its entire structure demolished and rebuilt from scratch.
    How anyone could believe that we don't need some kind of protest is beyond me. To make it very clear: if people like Shatter won't go, we, the sovereign people of Ireland, have every right and duty to make him go.
    Exactly as Phoebas has said, Shatter is the rightful Minister for Justice and you're just going to have to put up with that until April 2016 when you will get the chance to vote against his party. Things are getting better now and I for one won't put that at risk just to give some people a chance to vent.

And you'll get that opportunity at the next general election.
    In the meantime, he is the democratically elected Minister for Justice.

And you think this level of democratic oversight as accountability is good enough? There are a lot of us who don't.

• Advertisement

And you think this level of democratic oversight as accountability is good enough? There are a lot of us who don't.

So when is your protest? Where are we meeting? What time? What slogans should we have on the placards? Where are we marching to?

Exactly as Phoebas has said, Shatter is the rightful Minister for Justice and you're just going to have to put up with that until April 2016 when you will get the chance to vote against his party.

Not good enough. Sorry. You don't have to agree, but some of us aren't ok with that "solution" and putting up with this sh!te for another two years before we can do anything about it.
    Things are getting better now and I for one won't put that at risk just to give some people a chance to vent.

How does stamping out corruption and reforming the establishment put anything at risk?

bumper234 wrote: »
    So when is your protest? Where are we meeting? What time? What slogans should we have on the placards? Where are we marching to?

None of this has been decided yet but I'll certainly advocate one within the next fortnight, if no one else is organising one I'll do that myself.

Not good enough. Sorry. You don't have to agree, but some of us aren't ok with that "solution" and putting up with this sh!te for another two years before we can do anything about it.
    Emphasis on the word some. Judging by the attendance at recent protests it would seem I'm in the majority. So unless the majority come round to your way of thinking you have two choices: continue to shout your throat hoarse at protests that achieve nothing or sit down, keep quiet and wait of the next election.
    How does stamping out corruption and reforming the establishment put anything at risk?
    The markets hate risk, the overthrow of a government and to quote "The Irish establishment is rotten to its core. It needs to be cleaned out, reset, and its entire structure demolished and rebuilt from scratch." is about as risky to our recovery as it gets.

None of this has been decided yet but I'll certainly advocate one within the next fortnight, if no one else is organising one I'll do that myself.

So you haven't got a plan in motion yet? Ok let us know when and where so i can watch it on the news.

bumper234 wrote: »
    So you haven't got a plan in motion yet? Ok let us know when and where so i can watch it on the news.

Is it not entirely reasonable to try to gauge the level of interest in a new campaign before one sets it in motion?

Emphasis on the word some. Judging by the attendance at recent protests it would seem I'm in the majority. So unless the majority come round to your way of thinking you have two choices: continue to shout your throat hoarse at protests that achieve nothing or sit down, keep quiet and wait of the next election.

Most young people I've spoken to who don't protest actually do want change, but simply believe that protesting wont work. It's not that they don't want it to happen.
    The markets hate risk, the overthrow of a government and to quote "The Irish establishment is rotten to its core. It needs to be cleaned out, reset, and its entire structure demolished and rebuilt from scratch." is about as risky to our recovery as it gets.

How about getting rid of anyone who breaks the rules and behaves as appallingly as Shatter has? Or changing the law to outlaw far more shenanigans than are currently outlawed? Or introducing more democratic accountability, eg the right of recall?

Revolution doesn't have to mean burning buildings and riot police.

Is it not entirely reasonable to try to gauge the level of interest in a new campaign before one sets it in motion?
    An hour ago you thought you had a duty to make Shatter go. Now you want to gauge the level of interest in a possible future campaign that might result in a protest.

Realpolitik.

Well so far the consensus seems to be that the majority (in here) are happy with the way things are.

• Advertisement

Most young people I've spoken to who don't protest actually do want change, but simply believe that protesting wont work. It's not that they don't want it to happen.
    Well then you better hope the majority come round to your way of thinking, until they do you're left with the two previously mentioned choices. Take your pick.

How about getting rid of anyone who breaks the rules and behaves as appallingly as Shatter has? Or changing the law to outlaw far more shenanigans than are currently outlawed? Or introducing more democratic accountability, eg the right of recall?

Revolution doesn't have to mean burning buildings and riot police.
    That's a big tone down from your earlier rhetoric. I could support this, it would depend on how invasive the legislation was but not by protest.

Advertisement