Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New 29k colour livery

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭dowlingm

So we're no longer sending 29000s north of Dundalk then? :rolleyes: ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Saw another 2900 set sticking out of Inchicore earlier, looks like it will enter service soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Saw another 2900 set sticking out of Inchicore earlier, looks like it will enter service soon.

Just saw 29112 in the new livery in Pearse, so it may have been that, as I think I've only seen it on 29117 before today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

29005 will be the 3rd Green Goddess to grace the rails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

Your average commuter won't be able to tell the difference between a DART and Commuter train now. If they are the same colour they are the same train, that's what most people go by and don't look for physical differences. Can't wait for the first pic of one of those in the new livery hauling a DART.

If they are all operating around the Dublin area, they should be all the same colour. Makes perfect sense from a branding point of view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Five Lamps wrote: »
    If they are all operating around the Dublin area, they should be all the same colour. Makes perfect sense from a branding point of view.

Not really, one is called DART and has it's own branding name where as the 29s are no longer in Commuter branding as it's gone and everything bar the DART and Enterprise is Irish Rail branding, yet to the casual commuter on the platform a 29 DMU and DART look exactly the same in the new livery. DARTs stop at every stop on the DART line, 29s only service the "Commuter" stops.

Happened a last month on a train I was on. I young girl ended up crying and panicing because she got on a 29k at Maynooth assuming it would stop at Clonsila as 29s usually do. But on this occasion the 29 was on a Sligo service doing the job of a 22k ICR. People don't read signs, so there first hand is the problem. She started banging on the drivers cab door to get the train to stop and I ended up having calm her down and giver her my phone to make some calls from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

In all fairness she should have noticed the "This is the service to Sligo, all passengers not wishing to travel please disembark as doors will close in 2 minutes". Also, it's a bit unrealistic to have a disjointed brand/public image for the convenience of those who don't read the many, many signs telling you where the train is going. Heuston commuters have survived for a while, I'm sure Connolly side commuters can learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Not really, one is called DART and has it's own branding name where as the 29s are no longer in Commuter branding as it's gone and everything bar the DART and Enterprise is Irish Rail branding, yet to the casual commuter on the platform a 29 DMU and DART look exactly the same in the new livery. DARTs stop at every stop on the DART line, 29s only service the "Commuter" stops.

Happened a last month on a train I was on. I young girl ended up crying and panicing because she got on a 29k at Maynooth assuming it would stop at Clonsila as 29s usually do. But on this occasion the 29 was on a Sligo service doing the job of a 22k ICR. People don't read signs, so there first hand is the problem. She started banging on the drivers cab door to get the train to stop and I ended up having calm her down and giver her my phone to make some calls from.

Do we have to hold everyone's hand?

Frankly if people don't read the signs then there is not much more that can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

In all fairness she should have noticed the "This is the service to Sligo, all passengers not wishing to travel please disembark as doors will close in 2 minutes". Also, it's a bit unrealistic to have a disjointed brand/public image for the convenience of those who don't read the many, many signs telling you where the train is going. Heuston commuters have survived for a while, I'm sure Connolly side commuters can learn.

I'm reasonably sure that announcement is only made on the 22k trains, and may be specific to the announcement systems on them. Certainly I have never heard it on a 29k (which the poster stated was in use in this instance), and when a 22k runs a Maynooth service it has that same announcement for Maynooth.

Having said all that, I agree that people really just need to pay a little bit of attention and not just meander onto trains like oblivious sheep. Irish Rail's existing inconsistency with departure platforms for services in Connolly should teach you that much (e.g. a coin toss as to whether certain services arrive on and depart from 6 or 7 during evening rush hour)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Even on the DART not all services take the exact same route. If one only relies on the train colour and not the destination board, as the OP hypothesises, why do we not have a glut of people trying to get to Howth ending up in Malahide and vice versa?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

At the end of the day, has to check that they are boarding the right train. People do read signage ... otherwise they wouldn't get to where they were going.

My point is that all trains used to service the Dublin commuter area should be the same colour irrespective if they are electric or diesel - put them under the DART brand.

icdg wrote: »
    Even on the DART not all services take the exact same route. If one only relies on the train colour and not the destination board, as the OP hypothesises, why do we not have a glut of people trying to get to Howth ending up in Malahide and vice versa?

You'd be amazed. I use the DART alot and get asked questions by random strangers almost every day. Alot of times they can't find their way out of Howth Junction station despite the tone of new sings that are all over the shop

Five Lamps wrote: »
    My point is that all trains used to service the Dublin commuter area should be the same colour irrespective if they are electric or diesel - put them under the DART brand.

The only reason the DARTs stay in Dublin is because of the OHLE system that keeps them there. Due to operational flexibility and maintenance the 29s and 22s can end up almost anywhere on the network, it's virtually impossible to confine common set units to the Dublin region only.

An example, 22 ICR sets 1-6 are fully equipped to fill in for the Enterprise and work north of the boarder without another driver present, but they can be anywhere on the network and not in Dublin or Drogheda if needed in a hurry. NIR have a similar settup with C3Ks, set 1-6 are fitted with CAWS to work in the south if needed and NIR manage to get these sets at short notice to fill in due to their smaller network and fleet size.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

An example, 22 ICR sets 1-6 are fully equipped to fill in for the Enterprise and work north of the boarder without another driver present, but they can be anywhere on the network and not in Dublin or Drogheda if needed in a hurry. NIR have a similar settup with C3Ks, set 1-6 are fitted with CAWS to work in the south if needed and NIR manage to get these sets at short notice to fill in due to their smaller network and fleet size.

NI's operation is centered in Belfast so much easier to have sets within 45-1 hour of knowing the problem with the enterprise. Your probably talking at least 2.5 hours to get stock into position down here.

Also since the 22 changes Connolly is mainly made up of 4 coach units with a handful of 3 set to increase capacity on some services.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

maybe if the ICRS wern't all used on commuter routes the sets equiped for northern operation could be where possible kept close by to operate the enterprise, the fact that passengers on what is technically an international train service have to put up with suburban railcars if there is a failure on the dublin side is a shambles and a discrase that theres no excuse for but i suppose whatever is operationally convenient for IE, isn't it true passenger numbers on this service are down or at least not as good as they could be? well apart from the M1 this probably doesn't help at least with first time travelers, at least with rosslare we know were the runt of the litter and aren't entitled to the same standards of comfort or anything as other long distance routes so no point there but with the enterprise, IE need to show these passengers respect and provide them with a decent replacement if the proper stock has a problem

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Advertisement