Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New 29k colour livery

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭GBOA

Goodness knows how 'normals' are able to use any form of public transport in the absence of an enthusiast chaperone who can differentiate the subtleties of livery for them.

It's a classic old style livery and very smart it is too. Bears more than a passing resemblance to the London Midland one.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

29 grand on paint is an awful.amount. How many trains are being done?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

micraX wrote: »
    29 grand on paint is an awful.amount. How many darts are being done?

29k is the name of the DMUs that are being re painted. They are known as the 29000 class or 29k for short. It will cost alot more than 29 grand to paint all 116 units though.

DARTs are not getting a new livery, just new logos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

...and they aren'rtDARTs...the confusion started already!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Lets face it, the units are currently very shabby on the outside and have been lacking TLC in that area for a while, although one would hope if they are repainted, that they look after the exterior condition a bit more and don't allow them to get into the state they currently are, although it should be easier with the new colours to preserve them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

corktina wrote: »
    The unit was due a repaint...how is that wasting money?..and it doesn't look anything like a Dart!

they would have had to pay someone to 'design' that mess but other that that not much of a cost, simpler paintjob so probably saved some cash compared to the old ones.

Horrible though IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

No wonder the price of tickets is borderline extortion, constantly changing liveries.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

If the unit was due for a repaint it's fair enough, but IE should stop faffing about with its coat of many colours and choose one scheme and leave it at that!

Maybe it's experimental I don't know, but imo it's a bit dull without any lighter bands of colour and is going to be confused with the well known DART scheme. The platform enders will be able to tell the difference, but the 'normals' who simply look out for the approach of a box-shaped thing on wheels won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

If the unit was due for a repaint it's fair enough, but IE should stop faffing about with its coat of many colours and choose one scheme and leave it at that!
    CIE have always had an obsession with constantly changing liveries and colour schemes; destroying any kind of brand long term brand recognition

CIE have always had an obsession with constantly changing liveries and colour schemes; destroying any kind of brand long term brand recognition

Not the case with Bus Eireann, the red/white has been around a long time and the red setter as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I think the livery looks really nice considering it was a surprise to see it.

It is highly likely now for that livery to get confusion among the commuters going to/from work in the next few weeks.

Has it gone on a commuter run showing it's new paintjob yet?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

I think the livery looks really nice considering it was a surprise to see it.

It is highly likely now for that livery to get confusion among the commuters going to/from work in the next few weeks.

Has it gone on a commuter run showing it's new paintjob yet?

The issues is and always has been lazy bastard drivers not updating the name board display. Last week I got on a DART which said Malahide and was going to Howth.

This is a cancer of epidemic proportions among the drivers at CIE and their culture and does lots to kill confidence in public transport.

ClovenHoof wrote: »
    The issues is and always has been lazy bastard drivers not updating the name board display. Last week I got on a DART which said Malahide and was going to Howth.

This is a cancer of epidemic proportions among the drivers at CIE and their culture and does lots to kill confidence in public transport.

Not all of them are like that, granted interest in your role and pride in the job are increasingly rare things, landing into the job on the coat-tails of your father/uncle or whoever and going through the motions.

Just one reason why privatisation would be a good thing (I'm sure there are reasons why it would be a bad thing too)

In fairness the 29ks have been going around with the Commuter livery since they were delivered in 2003.

The 2600s, 2700s and 2008s carried the Arrow livery from 1993, 1998 and 2000 as they were delivered till is was phased out for the Commuter livery in 2003.

They are not always changing colour schemes. The Mk4 Intercity livery is 7 years old at this stage.

I think they should have left the Commuter branding but made the liver more recognisable from a DART. Bring back the Arrow livery for the 29ks I say.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Will they still be branded as "Commuter"?

The reason why I ask is that there is no indication of this on sides of the coaches.

The Commuter logo was officially dropped in January 2013 (it hasn't appeared in any print materials since then) but they seem to be phasing in the new logo very very slowly - no Commuter units have been rebranded until now (nearly fifteen months later!). At this rate it will take about five years to introduce the new logo!

It looks like a really nice livery, would like to see it in the flesh.

ClovenHoof wrote: »

I've seen that as well and on some occasions the driver has set it wrong, but it is not like that all the time, since it plagues some classes of trains more than others without doubt.

I think the PIS system on the 8100 seems to fare a hell of a lot better than on every other type of rolling stock Irish Rail have, I've not seen one get it wrong for a long time, and thelast time I did it was set wrong at the terminus.

The other DARTS however are a nightmare, frequently get stuck or don't work at all and are blank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

corktina wrote: »
    ...and they aren'rtDARTs...the confusion started already!

I don't see how this is such a problem though, for anyone commuting out of Heuston all (ok except 4) trains are identical but they seem to cope just fine :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

I don't see how this is such a problem though, for anyone commuting out of Heuston all (ok except 4) trains are identical but they seem to cope just fine :confused:

Natural progression of the thought process behind any possible "this looks like a dart" crap is painting buses different colours for each route. :p

bbk wrote: »
    Natural progression of the thought process behind any possible "this looks like a dart" crap is painting buses different colours for each route. :p

they do just that in Reading UK....very popular it is too

http://www.reading-buses.co.uk/files/images/Bus%20photos/our%20fleet%20of%20buses.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

You mustn't miss an opportunity to either photograph or film the new repainted set today because I had seen 29117 go pass the level crossing at Sandymount Station at 9:45 am this morning.

It was part of a eight carriage train which was out of service.

But the train had consisted of the two different commuter liveries between each set with the first four carriages having the old livery at the front and it's latest one being on the back four carriages. :eek::eek::eek:

It is becoming the good old days again when the LHB DARTS before their refurbishment were being repainted and joined up with the old DART liveries back in 2003.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Just saw the new livery come through Connolly. Very nice indeed!

I'm still channelling my inner Eamonn Dunphy...it was a good livery, not a great livery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Looks pretty crappy to me tbh when I saw it up close they painted over everything with green even the driver cab handrails/door handle and the black rubber on the windows! Looks like a cheap paint job from a model shop to me tbh. Personally I dont see the need to even change the colour of the livery or drop commuter its gonna cause a lot of confusion with this.

The units badly need repainting, the way they are presented for the most part is a disgrace, the white on the doors is almost fully eroded away in many cases, the livery is very grubby in most part and the colours attract dirt and most trains look like they haven't had a good clean or any TLC to their livery for a long time.

The new colours I would think would not show up dirt so much and wear so badly so that has to be a good thing, since the 29000s are at the moment by far the least presentable of the fleet.

The 29s are also the hardest worked with at least 96% of the fleet in use every day. The reason the paint was let slide is because the new livery was on the way so the standard was let slide because why bother when it's being replaced soon. The shape of the 29s is also a factor why they look grubby alot of the time, the bottom third of the body curves in and the wash brushed don't get as close to that part .

The paint work on the Enterprise coaches was let go to cat too with it pealing and flaking off in patches before they got the new livery 6 years ago.

Infini2 wrote: »
    its gonna cause a lot of confusion with this.

With the greatest respect my compatriots of the human race, if there is really going to be confusion on what train to get based on the colour of the livery, then I think there are more serious problems with the people rather than the train.

bbk wrote: »
    With the greatest respect my compatriots of the human race, if there is really going to be confusion on what train to get based on the colour of the livery, then I think there are more serious problems with the people rather than the train.

Never ever underestimate the stupidity of the general public.

Never ever underestimate the stupidity of the general public.

Oh, I am not but placing responsibility on Irish Rail to have different colours for its trains just to allow for idiots is pretty stupid in itself.

Maybe a nice idea to be different but nothing more then that for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 bob425

The general public have no idea of what colour a train is, They stand on Platform whatever, there is either a display board stating where the next train is going or an announcer stating where the next train is going. They DONT need to look at what colour the train is and if they recognize the colour get on the train. So what if every train on the system is painted the same, we had all trains painted the same for donkeys years

Advertisement