Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New 29k colour livery

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

bob425 wrote: »
    . They DONT need to look at what colour the train is and if they recognize the colour get on the train. So what if every train on the system is painted the same, we had all trains painted the same for donkeys years

Not on the Dublin city commuter belt. We had DARTs in green since 1983 and everything else in black and orange, till the Commuter livery and DART for the past 10 years so yes it will cause confusion. Trains out of Heuston are a different story because no DART service so people have to read signs, while they generally don't on the DART network stations as you can just go by colour of the trains. People see green trains and think = that stops at all stations and that's that, simple but not anymore.

The amount of times I'm on a DART and we are stopped at a station for a while and then the air compressor stops and the train becomes silent, then you hear comments "oh no the train has broken down" etc. If I had a euro for every time that's happened I'd be a rich man. Alot of people have no clue the DART is electric and just because it makes no noise it's not working. There are an unreal amount of idiots out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭GBOA

No idea how folks coped in BR blue days. Maybe that explains how I used to end up in Carlisle all the time instead of Glasgow.

Perhaps roads should be painted different colours too so people know where to go? As for buses, how do the 'general public' manage to get on the right one? Maybe Irish Rail should run a public information campaign - Know Your Train? Seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

It's easy to get the right train...you ask a Porter....and then you ask a second Porter just to be on the safe side (and to cheese off the first guy ever so slightly) then you ask the Guard again as you board. ...Oh no wait, I'm back in 1960 again...damn timeslip.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

bbk wrote: »
    With the greatest respect my compatriots of the human race, if there is really going to be confusion on what train to get based on the colour of the livery, then I think there are more serious problems with the people rather than the train.

Even with the current livery, people are constantly asking does the DART standing on the platform go to Drogheda or maynooth or does the commuter go to howth. You'd be very surprised.

In fact (and a bit off-topic but) up to ten years after the introduced closing platforms six and seven at Connolly after half ten and despite the platform displays being empty people are still going there after half ten to catch their train.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

thomasj wrote: »
    Even with the current livery, people are constantly asking does the DART standing on the platform go to Drogheda or maynooth or does the commuter go to howth. You'd be very surprised.

Well, I think that is separate to people using the livery to justify what train to get on. I would not criticise people for getting getting the names of services mixed up a little bit as that relies on a few variables.

The example you give sounds more like an issue with signage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

thomasj wrote: »

In fact (and a bit off-topic but) up to ten years after the introduced closing platforms six and seven at Connolly after half ten and despite the platform displays being empty people are still going there after half ten to catch their train.

Platforms six and seven are closed after half ten? I've gotten trains later than that from them.

Are there any other units after being painted yet?

CTYIgirl wrote: »

The 29s are in high use daily so I'd imagine each set will be repainted when it requires attention at Inchicore which would not be that often as Drogheda looks after them for most things.

The 29s are all due heavy under body maintenance about now after 10 years of hard use so while that's being done I'd say they will repaint each set.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    Platforms six and seven are closed after half ten? I've gotten trains later than that from them.

Well maybe a bit later, definitely by 11pm all last trains are using platform 5 for northbound westbound and southbound. There's a sign on the wall at the junction/stairs that says so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Its time the DART was completly rebranded anyway.

Paint them all in the Dublin colours.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

29k I'm on now has its paintwork scuffed and filler everywhere so I suspect it's next. Does suggest it's a proper job being done anyway.

MYOB wrote: »
    29k I'm on now has its paintwork scuffed and filler everywhere so I suspect it's next. Does suggest it's a proper job being done anyway.

There are alot of 29ks in that state and have been for a while now. There are still another 28 sets to do.

Lapin wrote: »

Why, they go to Wicklow and in the future to Kildare. Sure Irish Rail are trying to save money by only using green and silver/grey paint lately.:D

Why, they go to Wicklow and in the future to Kildare. Sure Irish Rail are trying to save money by only using green and silver/grey paint lately.

A tiny bit of Wicklow. It is a Dublin service.

There's a reason its called DART, not WART !

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the link to Sallins.

I doublt painting all the trains green has much to do with saving on the cost of the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the link to Sallins.

Either would I, as it was never in the plans!

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Either would I, as it was never in the plans!

I didn't think so either.

Although there was a green paper published back in the 80's that invisaged a rapid transit link out to Naas via Tallaght by 2015.

Even back then it seemed like pie in the sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Hazelhatch station straddles the Dublin/Kildare county boundary.

Not a DART Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

A tiny bit of Wicklow. It is a Dublin service.

There's a reason its called DART, not WART !

Goes 10km into greystones wicklow from Dublin border

• Registered Users Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Not a DART Station.

Captain Chaos said in the future that it would go to Kildare - He meant County Kildare by virtue of DART Underground going to Hazelhatch.

There was no mention of Sallins anywhere other than your own post.

It is certainly planned that DART will serve Hazelhatch, which is on the Dublin/Kildare county boundary.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

DART is also intended to serve three stations in Kildare on the Maynooth line; not just Hazelhatch; two of which are nowhere near county borders.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Dublin Bus also serve bits of Wicklow and Kildare, maybe ye should get onto them about changing their name too.
    Lapin wrote:
    Why does it need to be re-branded? DART is one of the few areas of PT around (plus BE) that's maintained a pretty consistent brand since inception in 1984. There no reason to change such a strong brand just for the sake of it.

lxflyer wrote: »
    Captain Chaos said in the future that it would go to Kildare - He meant County Kildare by virtue of DART Underground going to Hazelhatch.

There was no mention of Sallins anywhere other than your own post.

It is certainly planned that DART will serve Hazelhatch, which is on the Dublin/Kildare county boundary.

There was. He edited it out of his post since.

Anyway, its hardly important enough to argue over.

As for the DART being extended to Hazlehatch, no more than Sallins I won't hold my breath to see that happen either.

Dublin Bus also serve bits of Wicklow and Kildare, maybe ye should get onto them about changing their name too.

Exactly. After all, the Tube takes in stations in Essex and Buckinghamshire but it's still the London Underground.

Why does it need to be re-branded? DART is one of the few areas of PT around (plus BE) that's maintained a pretty consistent brand since inception in 1984. There no reason to change such a strong brand just for the sake of it.

Fair point. I still think the Dublin colours would be a better choice for it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Fair point. I still think the Dublin colours would be a better choice for it though.

By Dublin colours, do you mean the following?

dublin.jpg

It's certainly the first result I got when I Google searched "Dublin colours". It would be interesting seeing the DART in these colours! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Why? It would be a completely arbitrary choice to align a public transport service with a localised section of a parochial organisation. There are plenty of users (myself included) of both DART and other Dublin area transport that have no connection to Dublin save for having to live here to be in the vicinity of employment, and for whom Dublin colours are utterly meaningless. Sure you might as well decide that the Luas (at least it's contained within Dublin at present) and all taxis in Dublin (à la the yellow cabs in New York, perhaps) should also be painted in the Dublin colours. Should the Bus Eireann buses used for Cork and Galway local services be painted red and white or maroon and white as well?

They're all patently ridiculous ideas with no rational motivation, to be honest, and much like the Bus Eireann approach, I would prefer to see a level of consistency across all the liveries, which we are at least getting closer to now than introducing something as ludicrous as county colours into the mix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

I didn't think so either.

Although there was a green paper published back in the 80's that invisaged a rapid transit link out to Naas via Tallaght by 2015.

Even back then it seemed like pie in the sky.

Any link anywhere? I've read about all the schemes over the last thirty odd years, apart from the risible Circle and Unified proposals, but never heard about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

By Dublin colours, do you mean the following?

dublin.jpg

It's certainly the first result I got when I Google searched "Dublin colours". It would be interesting seeing the DART in these colours! :D
    Does this mean we can have red and white commuter trains in Cork?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭flazio

cython wrote: »
    Why? It would be a completely arbitrary choice to align a public transport service with a localised section of a parochial organisation. There are plenty of users (myself included) of both DART and other Dublin area transport that have no connection to Dublin save for having to live here to be in the vicinity of employment, and for whom Dublin colours are utterly meaningless. Sure you might as well decide that the Luas (at least it's contained within Dublin at present) and all taxis in Dublin (à la the yellow cabs in New York, perhaps) should also be painted in the Dublin colours. Should the Bus Eireann buses used for Cork and Galway local services be painted red and white or maroon and white as well?

They're all patently ridiculous ideas with no rational motivation, to be honest, and much like the Bus Eireann approach, I would prefer to see a level of consistency across all the liveries, which we are at least getting closer to now than introducing something as ludicrous as county colours into the mix.
    Well, now that you mention it,
    8790825934_ef58fb9116_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭metrovick001

Tis a Galway car and runs on the route 20. On match days its used to move the team & raises the brand / company profile (very stiff competition in Galway). A good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Whenever I get the bus eireann back to Dublin I always seem to end up on that particular coach, actually.

Advertisement