Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily rate for a plumber?

Options
  • 25-03-2014 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭

I know it's hard to say excactly , but I need a tidy plumber for 2-3 days, fitting a water softener, replacing a leaky 300 litre water cylinder, and some smaller work at taps etc. just wondering roughly what is a fair daily rate? He won't have to supply parts. I'm not looking for the cheapest tradesman , just a good honest guy at a reasonable cost.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,730 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    I know it's hard to say excactly , but I need a tidy plumber for 2-3 days, fitting a water softener, replacing a leaky 300 litre water cylinder, and some smaller work at taps etc. just wondering roughly what is a fair daily rate? He won't have to supply parts. I'm not looking for the cheapest tradesman , just a good honest guy at a reasonable cost.

300 upwards I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭anthonyos

300 would be a fair price

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Feck, better start saving!

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

Aidan_M_M wrote: »

Why dont you have a go yourself?
    Its easier now with the qualplex fittings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

Xantia wrote: »

I don't know where to begin with that

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭jimf

if he feels he needs a plumber and doesn't have the confidence or knowledge easier fittings still wont insure its job done correctly

Egass13 wrote: »

I do, but I won't, cause I'll get banned :)

Can you explain please what you mean by
    'I don't know where to begin with that'

Does that mean you would not be able to do the job yourself?

My suggestion is a valid one, I know the OP is a competent person as I have seen him posting on other groups.

We are not dealing with a new install here just replacing like for like

It's not as if there is electricity or gas involved.

My suggestion is a valid one, I know the OP is a competent person as I have seen him posting on other groups.

For a start, qualpex and push fittings cannot be used at a cylinder. A new cylinder rarely fits back the same as the old so pipe bending will probably be needed. Re-wiring the immersion is electric. Commissioning the water Softner isn't always straight forward job either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Nedser101

This is funny!

Yes obviously, normally the 1st meter is copper for heat transfer.
    Having replaced cylinders then it is like for like, you look at the old and replace it with new.
    No one suggested that it all had to be qualplex, I am sure that the OP can use a spanner as well.
    Any diy shop will have a spring to bend.

Having replaced cylinders then it is like for like, you look at the old and replace it with new.
    No one suggested that it all had to be qualplex, I am sure that the OP can use a spanner as well.

Yep. Nothing tastier than spring bent copper

Or a 'bent copper' with a spring :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    300 upwards I'd say

How Much!!! :eek: You'll get plenty cheaper than that op. Shop around I had a plumber in doing similar work @ €150/day

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    How Much!!! :eek: You'll get plenty cheaper than that op. Shop around I had a plumber in doing similar work @ €150/day

Cheaper is not always better at the end of the day . @150/day you can be guaranteed that's cash so not going through the books and most probably no insurance in place for when the qualpex bursts off the cylinder ;)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Cheaper is not always better at the end of the day . @150/day you can be guaranteed that's cash so not going through the books and most probably no insurance in place for when the qualpex bursts off the cylinder ;)

How often have you seen that happen?

pajero12 wrote: »
    How often have you seen that happen?

Ah right so because it Dsnt happen everyday then it can't happen at all . Logical . I've seen it 3 timed in 14 yrs , although what relevance that has is beyond me. Everything has a spec for a reason , company's spend a lot of time and money to come up with that spec, they don't do it for the good of their health my friend

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

3/4 over the knee? That'll make a man of ya.:pac:
    Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Yep. Nothing tastier than spring bent copper

I used to be able to do mightly work In 1/2" with a spring. Theres skill I ln it. Saying that I havent spring bent in about 6 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭shane 007

I was talking to a pal of mine today. He does nothing but non-domestic works & he charges minimum €700 + vat per day.

I am so under-valued!

• Advertisement

corkgsxr wrote: »
    I used to be able to do mightly work In 1/2" with a spring. Theres skill I ln it. Saying that I havent spring bent in about 6 years

I remember I was in Heatmerchants a couple of years ago when let's just say a foreign gentleman was buying a spring. He then asked how does he get it back out when it's down the middle of a 6m length of copper! WTF!!!

shane 007 wrote: »
    I was talking to a pal of mine today. He does nothing but non-domestic works & he charges minimum €700 + vat per day.

I am so under-valued!

Nice work if you can get it ! , I was only telling dec a few weeks ago a girl rang me looking for a brand new gas install , boiler, clocks , rads , the works. Said she will supply the gear and pay me 80 a day as that is what her painter boyfriend charges , needless to say she's most likely still sitting in the cold.

Nice work if you can get it ! , I was only telling dec a few weeks ago a girl rang me looking for a brand new gas install , boiler, clocks , rads , the works. Said she will supply the gear and pay me 80 a day as that is what her painter boyfriend charges , needless to say she's most likely still sitting in the cold.
    Tell her to get her BF to paint the old boiler. It will look nice & new.

My mate is booked solid every single day.

shane 007 wrote: »
    Tell her to get her BF to paint the old boiler. It will look nice & new.

My mate is booked solid every single day.

Sometimes I wouldn't mind going back to the industrial/commercial , it's all I did for 9 years , I'm more at home with a lump of 6" and a grinder than with sanitary ware !

Sometimes I wouldn't mind going back to the industrial/commercial , it's all I did for 9 years , I'm more at home with a lump of 6" and a grinder than with sanitary ware !

It's more non-domestic gas he does. Air handling units & the like.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

If a plumber works for a day rate of €150, there is not way he can make money, I estimate with all overheads (won't realist them here as too many similar threads already do) it costs about €115 per day to get in my van all inclusive (I did that figure a good few years back, most likely costs me more now!) so by those figures, thats €35 quid minus the revenues share, so thats a good €20 in my back pocket for 8 hours.

corkgsxr wrote: »
    3/4 over the knee? That'll make a man of ya.:pac:

Yeah, not easy, go for the elbows instead

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭esox28

iwillhtfu wrote: »

Did he happen to have a couple of hours off on Tuesday or Thursday mornings?

Yes and some people aren't so good at guessing. :D Vat receipt and all included thanks very much.

More expensive is just that.

A high price doesn't guarantee quality either. I've seen a so called RGI charging an arm and a leg for work carried out that was desperate and resulted in another plumber having to be called out.

• Advertisement

DGOBS wrote: »
    If a plumber works for a day rate of €150, there is not way he can make money, I estimate with all overheads (won't realist them here as too many similar threads already do) it costs about €115 per day to get in my van all inclusive (I did that figure a good few years back, most likely costs me more now!) so by those figures, thats €35 quid minus the revenues share, so thats a good €20 in my back pocket for 8 hours.

Perhaps you should get yourself a cheaper van to run or a pushbike you'll make a fortune :D

In all seriousness that was the price we agreed upon and I needed it above board for insurance reasons.

I'm a tradesman myself and have a fair idea of costs and what is an honest days pay.

Advertisement