Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commissioner Callinan resigns with immediate effect

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

Potential Monke.

While I see your side of the 'debate', you are refusing to see others' view of the 'debate'.

The actions of any one employee of ANY company, has the capacity to tarnish the entire image of the company.

Have you ever heard the phrase - If a customer is happy, nobody hears about it, but if a customer is unhappy, EVERYBODY hears about it! This is just reality. AGS is not immune from this phenomenon.

If I go into a chain of restaurants and find a fly in my soup, you can be damned sure, the entire restaurant will know about it, the papers will know about it, and everyone will think of flies in soup whenever they hear of that chain of restaurants again.

If I buy a litre of branded milk, and it is gone off, I will probably avoid that brand in future. And probably the shop I bought it in.

That is life.

Now, the chain of restaurants might have sold 1,000 bowls of fly-less soup that year. It's irrelevant.

The litre of milk may have accidentally been punctured in transit and it wasn't noticeable or the fault of anyone in the manufacturing or retail process. 1,000,000 fresh litres of milk may have been successfully sold that year. It's irrelevant.

For me, I won't go back to that chain of restaurants, and I won't buy that brand of milk again.

It's the same with AGS. Once an image is tarnished, it is very difficult to restore. Especially when there is a reluctance to engage or accept any responsibility or initiate reform or prevent similar incidents in the future.

This is the point you (and AGS) are missing.

Complaining and feeling hard-done-by will not change anything. The willingness to engage, reform and change needs to come from the top down.

sopretty wrote: »
    It's the same with AGS. Once an image is tarnished, it is very difficult to restore. Especially when there is a reluctance to engage or accept any responsibility or initiate reform or prevent similar incidents in the future.

This is the point you (and AGS) are missing.

Complaining and feeling hard-done-by will not change anything. The willingness to engage, reform and change needs to come from the top down.

but you also seem to be missing the point here as well, there is no reluctance to engage or initiate reform by Garda members.

the representative associations have been calling for 30 years for an independant Garda authority.

at the end of your post you say;
    The willingness to engage, reform and change needs to come from the top down.

so why are you trying to say its up to the ordinary garda members then?
    rank and file garda are more than willing to change things, every wants the politics taken out of policing.

we all know what a bad state our health service is in, if your mother is left lying on a trolley in a corridor for 24 hours you will complain about the system.
    but i bet you will also say 'but its not the nurses or doctors fault'
    exactly, they do their best with what they have.

Rank and file Gardai are not in charge.

bubblypop wrote: »
    but you also seem to be missing the point here as well, there is no reluctance to engage or initiate reform by Garda members.

the representative associations have been calling for 30 years for an independant Garda authority.

at the end of your post you say;
    The willingness to engage, reform and change needs to come from the top down.

so why are you trying to say its up to the ordinary garda members then?
    rank and file garda are more than willing to change things, every wants the politics taken out of policing.

we all know what a bad state our health service is in, if your mother is left lying on a trolley in a corridor for 24 hours you will complain about the system.
    but i bet you will also say 'but its not the nurses or doctors fault'
    exactly, they do their best with what they have.

Rank and file Gardai are not in charge.

My point is that the top level management is not and has not been willing to change. Very early on in this discourse, I put forward the hope that with Callinan & his ilk gone, the newer, younger members, might build a culture of reform as they progress through the ranks to seniority. I just hope they're not poisoned on the way to the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Well management only treat me like a number, so it's up to me to tell people how good i am. I go out of my way to try and make the image of AGS (at least where i am) better, and the feedback i get from the public tells me i'm doing it right, with people visiting telling me the positive image i give out. Management don't hear about that, they only see the amount of detections, tickets, etc. So, it is up to me. And i will continue to do it for as long as my heart is in the job.

And therein lies the crux. You're telling me we're losing the older demographic, but if the older demographic has an opinion like yourself, where every Garda is to blame for the actions of those with which we have no dealings with, well then i'm not sorry to lose that. Your mind is made up, you refuse to accept that not every Garda is the same, and only a miracle would change your mind. I'll continue to work with the demographics that appreciate the work i, and my colleagues do, the same demographics that know we're not all one in the same. The same demographics who make comments to me on the tough position we're in when the bad apples of AGS bring us into the limelight, but understand that we're not all bad apples. That is by far a larger demographic, and i have previous time to be wasting on people who just won't listen.

I'm leaving this conversation now, simple because it's going the same as every "debate" concerning AGS, people refusing to accept that we're not all the same. I end up going round in circles, repeating myself constantly, and getting point blank refusal to take my points. That is not a debate, that is an argument. I have accepted, constantly, that there are those within AGS that are doing damage, but at the same time there are far, far more who do nothing but great work. Those who i debate with don't accept the latter, and that, imo, is not a debate.

This is not what I am saying, if AGS have problems - solve the problems and the public perception will change. The best way to achieve this is not by telling us the other guy did it as an opening gambit.The public are not at fault here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Jphone calls at all Divisional Headquarters would be recorded without consent[/URL], and apparently without the knowledge of officers up to the rank of Inspector.

I have heard senior legal people in radio interviews saying that the taping is an even bigger deal, with possible implications in terms of people's constitutional rights.

I was always under the impression that all phone calls at Emergency Communication Centres were recorded.

Whether you call the Gardai, Fire or Ambulance. Thats how we hear the calls during reconstructions and documentaries.

And it is necessary in case the call taker cannot hear the caller properly and the call needs to be rewound and replayed to get an address or location.

Garda call takers are located in the likes of Harcourt Sq, Angleasea St, Galway and other divisional headquarters and these lines into the Garda stations need obviously to be recorded.

The idea that phones in the custody or cells area that suspects use to communicate with solicitors were recorded is the only thing that needs to be clarified.

A consultation with a solicitor can take place in sight of the garda but not within hearing so obviously the phone on which the consultation takes place should not be one that is recorded.

If recording only happens in communication centres (Harcourt Sq, Anglesea St, Mullingar, Naas, Portlaoise, Roscommon, Sligo, Thurles, Tralee, Waterford and Wexford)

And two of the above don't even detain prisoners (Harcourt Sq + Anglesea St) then the rest need to be clarified and in my opinion that would be easily done.

I would presume that the in and out line of the main garda station number is the only one that is recorded. Not the entire 50-200+ phones based in the station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

marienbad wrote: »
    This is not what I am saying, if AGS have problems - solve the problems and the public perception will change. The best way to achieve this is not by telling us the other guy did it as an opening gambit.The public are not at fault here.

neither are rank and file gardai, so maybe blame the top brass, who has caused these problems and dont blame ordinary members, and tell us that that we are feeling sorry for ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,819 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

sopretty wrote: »
    Potential Monke.

While I see your side of the 'debate'... ...Complaining and feeling hard-done-by will not change anything. The willingness to engage, reform and change needs to come from the top down.

I can see the other side of the debate. I understand that there is public anger in relation to the goings on within AGS. We have been aware of politics controlling the job for a while, and it is something we have always (for the last 30 years) tried to get sorted. Problem is, i'm just a Garda, in a station nowhere near Dublin. If i want to voice my concerns, i do so through the GRA, the representative association. Now, because they're just an RA, there is not much they can do, as they (and in turn, we) don't have union status and as such are stuck, for want of a better word.

I also think that your view with regards to bad food in a restaurant, milk gone off, while you're completely entitled to have it and react in any way you want, is a bit OTT. I would also be annoyed if i found a fly in my soup, and it's how the restaurant reacts to that knowledge is how i decide my future thoughts in relation to the establishment. Accidents can happen, that fly may not have been in the soup on the way to your table but managed to fly in en-route. I think letting the whole restaurant know, and subsequently giving bad reviews and never going there again is a bit much, unless the restaurant didn't take responsibility and offer apologies, etc.

It's the same in AGS, but the rank and file members have no say in what the Press Office or the Commissioner decides to say. So even if we wanted to stand up and give a voice to ourselves, we'd be shot down with legalities and red tape, more than likely lose the job for a breach of some Code or Act, and possibly face imprisonment depending on the severity of the breach. So in order to get our voices heard, we use the GRA, and that's back to the first point, they really don't have a voice when it concerns the running of AGS. Granted, they got Haddington Road, and the Croke Park deal, but the effort it took to be even involved in the pay talks was crazy, so you can imagine the effort and time it takes to get anything else heard.

I can see the other side of the debate. I understand that there is public anger in relation to the goings on within AGS. We have been aware of politics controlling the job for a while, and it is something we have always (for the last 30 years) tried to get sorted. Problem is, i'm just a Garda, in a station nowhere near Dublin. If i want to voice my concerns, i do so through the GRA, the representative association. Now, because they're just an RA, there is not much they can do, as they (and in turn, we) don't have union status and as such are stuck, for want of a better word.

I also think that your view with regards to bad food in a restaurant, milk gone off, while you're completely entitled to have it and react in any way you want, is a bit OTT. I would also be annoyed if i found a fly in my soup, and it's how the restaurant reacts to that knowledge is how i decide my future thoughts in relation to the establishment. Accidents can happen, that fly may not have been in the soup on the way to your table but managed to fly in en-route. I think letting the whole restaurant know, and subsequently giving bad reviews and never going there again is a bit much, unless the restaurant didn't take responsibility and offer apologies, etc.

It's the same in AGS, but the rank and file members have no say in what the Press Office or the Commissioner decides to say. So even if we wanted to stand up and give a voice to ourselves, we'd be shot down with legalities and red tape, more than likely lose the job for a breach of some Code or Act, and possibly face imprisonment depending on the severity of the breach. So in order to get our voices heard, we use the GRA, and that's back to the first point, they really don't have a voice when it concerns the running of AGS. Granted, they got Haddington Road, and the Croke Park deal, but the effort it took to be even involved in the pay talks was crazy, so you can imagine the effort and time it takes to get anything else heard.

You sound as disillusioned with your 'brass' as we are. I genuinely hope that we as a public, can get behind you as a force. You're our force. We need you there and we want you there. I have been a victim of crime. I have been treated brilliantly by gardai, and I have as I said, seen a guard just completely fabricate a statement. It's hard to trust ye.
    If ye stand up somehow, you'll have the full public behind you. I'm not aware of the constraints ye have on ye. Perhaps, we as a public, need to speak on your behalves?

• Advertisement

I've councillors coming around looking for my vote recently. I'll bring it up. The one lad I had decided to vote for is a solicitor, he listened to me lol, haven't heard from him since haha. I'll quiz them on this though when they call around again. I don't usually answer the door.

As I said earlier, it is critical for both citizens and guards that we have a mutual respect and trust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Have no time to read all this thread but Mr Callinan was not a very astute politician to hold such a high profile position. Even in lower 'proceedings' in AGS persons in positions of responsibility have to choose their words very carefully and they have to be fairly temperate.

I was simply astounded he used the disgusting word at the PAC and immediately thought it would rebound on him - which it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Have no time to read all this thread but Mr Callinan was not a very astute politician to hold such a high profile position.

I think therein lay the problem. Callinan was a policeman, always was and always will be. He was not a politician. The Commissioner of AGS should never be in the political arena. Will be hopelessly outgunned and outplayed at every turn. Then thrown on the scrap heap when your usefulness is less than your uselessness.

My 2 cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

I came in here having the same opinion as most in this thread but Potential-Monke and bubblypop have done a great job of turning my opinion. Good on ye lads, keep it up. As for your management, yeesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

All well and good folks, but maybe it shouldn`t be forgotten that all the abuse that was rained down on McCabe and Wilson was just from the top brass. They were abused and harassed by rank and file in their own areas, and wasn`t there a very quick reaction from at least one of the representative associations calling for heads at GSOC.?
    One of the points highlighted in the Smithwicks report was that AGS were more concerned with covering up failings and covering for each other than getting to the truth. There has to be a cultural change in AGS at all ranks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

charlie14 wrote: »
    All well and good folks, but maybe it shouldn`t be forgotten that all the abuse that was rained down on McCabe and Wilson was just from the top brass. They were abused and harassed by rank and file in their own areas, and wasn`t there a very quick reaction from at least one of the representative associations calling for heads at GSOC.?

I've read a lot of the Guerin report and it doesn't reflect very well on McCabe as a supervisor to be honest. If it's an accurate reflection of his behaviour in general I can see why he was not liked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

I've read a lot of the Guerin report and it doesn't reflect very well on McCabe as a supervisor to be honest. If it's an accurate reflection of his behaviour in general I can see why he was not liked.

Nice to see Someone actually reading rather than regurgitating the status quo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

One of the points highlighted in the Smithwicks report was that AGS were more concerned with covering up failings and covering for each other than getting to the truth. There has to be a cultural change in AGS at all ranks.

I agree with your comments and that has to come from the top right down to rank and file members.

I would like to see the new Garda commissioner being recruited externally, maybe from a UK force or P.S.N.I.

If new commissioner comes from within AGS the culture is not going to change within, an external candidate is the way to go for real change at the core of AGS.

I don`t see that having to do with anything really.
    I wouldn`t imagine being a garda is about winning a popularity contest. I`m sure the gardai that did the favours listed by McCabe are popular with those they gave a dig out too. Problem is that in doing so, and being exposed, gardai have lost the respect of the public.
    I would look on the first basic requirement of a garda as being honest and without favouritism, and on that basis alone McCabe stands head and shoulders above Callinan, Shatter, their lapdogs in th DOJ and the gardai that closed ranks in an effort to intimidate him.
    A behaviour in general that was summed up in the Smithwicks report of gardai being more interest in protecting each other than doing their job of protecting the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Having read the report, I find that a surprising comment. Can you point to specific parts of the report that reflect deficiencies in Sgt McCabe's supervision? As to his competence and to him not being liked, the report records very positive comments about him from Senior Gardai in sections 20.7 to 20.10 showing that he was held in high regard by his supervisors (20.11), at least in the years before he began making the complaints examined in the Guerin report.

• Advertisement

I don`t see that having to do with anything really.
    I wouldn`t imagine being a garda is about winning a popularity contest. I`m sure the gardai that did the favours listed by McCabe are popular with those they gave a dig out too. Problem is that in doing so, and being exposed, gardai have lost the respect of the public.
    I would look on the first basic requirement of a garda as being honest and without favouritism, and on that basis alone McCabe stands head and shoulders above Callinan, Shatter, their lapdogs in th DOJ and the gardai that closed ranks in an effort to intimidate him.
    A behaviour in general that was summed up in the Smithwicks report of gardai being more interest in protecting each other than doing their job of protecting the public.
    hollypink wrote: »
    Having read the report, I find that a surprising comment. Can you point to specific parts of the report that reflect deficiencies in Sgt McCabe's supervision? As to his competence and to him not being liked, the report records very positive comments about him from Senior Gardai in sections 20.7 to 20.10 showing that he was held in high regard by his supervisors (20.11), at least in the years before he began making the complaints examined in the Guerin report.

McCabe showed a habit of overstating crimes. Just as an example, the minibus incident he looked for an investigation of hijacking when there was no evidence of this. He wanted an investigation of sexual assault where there was no complaint from an injured party. In another case where a woman was attacked walking home he looked for an investigation of attempted rape where there was no indication of this. While his thought process may seem logical to some, legally they have no basis whatsoever and with be the end of a criminal offence. If a probationer Garda had taken McCabes advice and arrested one of those lads for hijacking the minibus when they hadn't even sat in the driver seat his case would have been thrown out and he'd be facing a civil action for false arrest. This is a common theme throughout the complaints.

He also showed a strange willingness to report on members instead of instructing them. As a sergeant he is in a position to advise and instruct members. If he thought a probationer wasn't doing something right he should have told him so and helped him do it right instead of writing a complaint. Remember, these are probationer Gardaí who are just out of college with no experience. They rely on senior members and sergeants to tell them how to do things. I think in one case he was even told to assist the member and still blamed the member for the case falling.

Accountability is one thing, hanging probationers out to dry is another.

McCabe showed a habit of overstating crimes. Just as an example, the minibus incident he looked for an investigation of hijacking when there was no evidence of this. He wanted an investigation of sexual assault where there was no complaint from an injured party. In another case where a woman was attacked walking home he looked for an investigation of attempted rape where there was no indication of this. While his thought process may seem logical to some, legally they have no basis whatsoever and with be the end of a criminal offence. If a probationer Garda had taken McCabes advice and arrested one of those lads for hijacking the minibus when they hadn't even sat in the driver seat his case would have been thrown out and he'd be facing a civil action for false arrest. This is a common theme throughout the complaints.

He also showed a strange willingness to report on members instead of instructing them. As a sergeant he is in a position to advise and instruct members. If he thought a probationer wasn't doing something right he should have told him so and helped him do it right instead of writing a complaint. Remember, these are probationer Gardaí who are just out of college with no experience. They rely on senior members and sergeants to tell them how to do things. I think in one case he was even told to assist the member and still blamed the member for the case falling.

Accountability is one thing, hanging probationers out to dry is another.

I`m at pains to know why you highlighted my post in your posting above as it doesn`t really deal with any of the comments I made, and as to the probationer gardai, Callinan and everyone else down the line of command had no problem hanging them out to dry when assigning them to investigate McCabes complaints.

I`m at pains to know why you highlighted my post in your posting above as it doesn`t really deal with any of the comments I made, and as to the probationer gardai, Callinan and everyone else down the line of command had no problem hanging them out to dry when assigning them to investigate McCabes complaints.

It addresses your issues very well. Being a Garda is not about being popular, it's about getting a job done. And if your sergeant is actively working in a manner that prevents this then he is as much responsible for the failures as anyone else.

It addresses your issues very well. Being a Garda is not about being popular, it's about getting a job done. And if your sergeant is actively working in a manner that prevents this then he is as much responsible for the failures as anyone else.

There are many ways of getting a job done, and from the Guerin report, which basically only covers what has been going on in just Cavan and
    Monaghan,( never mind the rest of the country), then the job is not being done as it should. A fact that the whole country is now aware off, and a begrudging attitude to a sergeant that exposed this isn`t going to change that awareness of the public now that there is something rotten going on in ags.
    That attitude has been tried by Shatter, Enda, Callinan, Paul Williams,plus many more of their friends in the media, garda representative assocciations, and rank and file gardai and has failed in spectacular fashion.

There are many ways of getting a job done, and from the Guerin report, which basically only covers what has been going on in just Cavan and
    Monaghan,( never mind the rest of the country), then the job is not being done as it should. A fact that the whole country is now aware off, and a begrudging attitude to a sergeant that exposed this isn`t going to change that awareness of the public now that there is something rotten going on in ags.
    That attitude has been tried by Shatter, Enda, Callinan, Paul Williams,plus many more of their friends in the media, garda representative assocciations, and rank and file gardai and has failed in spectacular fashion.

Begrudgery? You seem to be missing the point. The sergeant is the link between Gardaí and officers. It is his job to make sure the members of Garda rank are doing their job. That is the point of his position. If the sergeant cannot or will not interact with members of a lower rank in order to do this then he is not doing his job. If he saw something being done wrong he should have done something about it instead of waiting til it went tits up. But from the sounds of the report he was not a good sergeant. Not only could he not deal with the people in his charge but he also seemed to know little about the law going by his recommendations. Assault Causing Harm for pissing in a vinegar bottle? Was he for real?

Your problem is you are so blinded by hero worship of this man becaus ehe has given you a stick to beat the Gardaí with and you can't see anything wrong with him. You aren't alone. Same happened with the penalty points issue. Everyone was so happy he had found hundreds of dodgy cancelled fixed chage penalties they completely ignored the fact he had invaded the privacy of thousands of other people just to get the info.

Begrudgery? You seem to be missing the point. The sergeant is the link between Gardaí and officers. It is his job to make sure the members of Garda rank are doing their job. That is the point of his position. If the sergeant cannot or will not interact with members of a lower rank in order to do this then he is not doing his job. If he saw something being done wrong he should have done something about it instead of waiting til it went tits up. But from the sounds of the report he was not a good sergeant. Not only could he not deal with the people in his charge but he also seemed to know little about the law going by his recommendations. Assault Causing Harm for pissing in a vinegar bottle? Was he for real?

Your problem is you are so blinded by hero worship of this man becaus ehe has given you a stick to beat the Gardaí with and you can't see anything wrong with him. You aren't alone. Same happened with the penalty points issue. Everyone was so happy he had found hundreds of dodgy cancelled fixed chage penalties they completely ignored the fact he had invaded the privacy of thousands of other people just to get the info.

Are you for real!! Can you not see that that mindset has brought the garda to the present level of total mistrust and disgust by the public. That after the Morris Tribunal and Smithwicks to name but two, we`re now due another from Guerins recommendation. The public are feed up to the back teeth with what they see as a force totally out of control and after all the tribunals and reports, still cannot be trusted to monitor itself, and whose first instinct is to close ranks and blame anyone in sight rather than weed out the few bad apples.
    This time i`m afraid they have made it very clear that enough is enough.

Are you for real!! Can you not see that that mindset has brought the garda to the present level of total mistrust and disgust by the public. That after the Morris Tribunal and Smithwicks to name but two, we`re now due another from Guerins recommendation. The public are feed up to the back teeth with what they see as a force totally out of control and after all the tribunals and reports, still cannot be trusted to monitor itself, and whose first instinct is to close ranks and blame anyone in sight rather than weed out the few bad apples.
    This time i`m afraid they have made it very clear that enough is enough.

You haven't addressed a single one of the points I made about McCabes conduct. Personally I don't give a toss what the public thinks. The majority don't understand anything about law and policing and the courts. All they'll get from this fiasco is a force that does more paperwork than policework and maybe a new version of GSOC to keep them happy. They aren't interested in real reform. They just want a pound of flesh.

You haven't addressed a single one of the points I made about McCabes conduct. Personally I don't give a toss what the public thinks. The majority don't understand anything about law and policing and the courts. All they'll get from this fiasco is a force that does more paperwork than policework and maybe a new version of GSOC to keep them happy. They aren't interested in real reform. They just want a pound of flesh.

How do you know we aren't interested in real reform ? The problem is AGS from top to bottom have shown no interest in ,indeed total opposition to , real reform.

By the way a whistleblower could be a complete tosser and still have done us a great service

I take it you a member of AGS and if this is the attitude we really are in trouble .

marienbad wrote: »
    How do you know we aren't interested in real reform ? The problem is AGS from top to bottom have shown no interest in ,indeed total opposition to , real reform.

By the way a whistleblower could be a complete tosser and still have done us a great service

I take it you a member of AGS and if this is the attitude we really are in trouble .

Because Gardaí have been looking for changes for years and nobody has joined their call. We now have a situation where Gardaí are attired in completely unsuitable uniform, driving unsuitable vehicles, and using outdated equipment and technology. But thank god we can get those few extra penalty points issued per year because that was the real issue. Let's ignore the fact that 1000 Gardaí are injured per year and their asailants face little consequences. We need to focus on the important issues like the case where the Garda couldn't get cctv footage.

I've no issue with what McCabe has revealed, I have a problem with his methods and the fact that he appears to be a part of the failures he's highlighted.

Just out of curiosity, have you read the full Guerin report or just a few extracts from the likes of The Journal or The Star?

• Advertisement

Because Gardaí have been looking for changes for years and nobody has joined their call. We now have a situation where Gardaí are attired in completely unsuitable uniform, driving unsuitable vehicles, and using outdated equipment and technology. But thank god we can get those few extra penalty points issued per year because that was the real issue. Let's ignore the fact that 1000 Gardaí are injured per year and their asailants face little consequences. We need to focus on the important issues like the case where the Garda couldn't get cctv footage.

I've no issue with what McCabe has revealed, I have a problem with his methods and the fact that he appears to be a part of the failures he's highlighted.

Just out of curiosity, have you read the full Guerin report or just a few extracts from the likes of The Journal or The Star?

This is about a lot more than penalty points and equipment . This is the part where we preface every discussion in Ireland with the caveat the 95% of serving - insert as appropriate- be it priests doctors garda etc are doing an outstanding job so lets not allow a few bad apples tarnish the whole organisation.

But the problem is none of these organisation look kindly on whistleblowers and for that culture to flourish it is the silence of the many that enable the few to corrupt the system . So where were all these individuals clamouring for change when all this was going on ?

And not ignoring penalty points but the warning signs are going on for years, the Donegal fiasco in any other country would have been more than the final straw and brought about jail sentences, where as we just roll on.

Not that it is relevant but I am working my way through the report as best I can

Advertisement