Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commissioner Callinan resigns with immediate effect

Options
  • 25-03-2014 11:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭

Garda Commissioner Martin Callinan has resigned in the wake of the Garda Whistleblower controversy.
    It is understood he informed the Minister for Justice, Alan Shatter, of his resignation this morning. The Garda Press Office confirmed the action.
    The Commissioner said he had taken the decision for "family reasons". He was due to stay in the position for at least another 14 months.
    Callinan has been at the centre of the controversy in recent weeks after he said "Frankly, I find it quite disgusting" in reference to the activities of whistleblowers John Wilson and Maurice McCabe.
    Last week, Minister for Transport Leo Varadkar called for Callinan to withdraw his remarks, causing friction within the Government.
    An "informal" meeting took place yesterday between Varadkar and Alan Shatter at the request of the Taoiseach, who also met Minister Varadkar himself.
    The news broke before this morning's Cabinet meeting, which was expected to discuss the ongoing issue.
    It is expected the Assistant Commissioner, Noreen O'Sullivan, will take over Callinan's duties until a successor is appointed.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/garda-commissioner-callinan-resigns-625973.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Garda Commissioner Martin Callinan has resigned in the wake of the Garda Whistleblower controversy.
    It is understood he informed the Minister for Justice, Alan Shatter, of his resignation this morning. The Garda Press Office confirmed the action.
    The Commissioner said he had taken the decision for "family reasons". He was due to stay in the position for at least another 14 months.
    Callinan has been at the centre of the controversy in recent weeks after he said "Frankly, I find it quite disgusting" in reference to the activities of whistleblowers John Wilson and Maurice McCabe.
    Last week, Minister for Transport Leo Varadkar called for Callinan to withdraw his remarks, causing friction within the Government.
    An "informal" meeting took place yesterday between Varadkar and Alan Shatter at the request of the Taoiseach, who also met Minister Varadkar himself.
    The news broke before this morning's Cabinet meeting, which was expected to discuss the ongoing issue.
    It is expected the Assistant Commissioner, Noreen O'Sullivan, will take over Callinan's duties until a successor is appointed.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/garda-commissioner-callinan-resigns-625973.html

Being given the chance to walk instead of being pushed will afford him all his retirement benefits.

I have no sympathy for the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

About time, only shame is that he will get a massive pay out as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,045 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Viper_JB wrote: »
    Why does he get a payout for resigning? If I resigned my job they'd just say good bye!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Why does he get a payout for resigning? If I resigned my job they'd just say good bye!

He'll get a golden handshake and massive pension no doubt, I don't think he would leave the position unless they we assured, tbh I wouldn't be surprised that he's quitting over issuing an apology and admitting he was wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Well done to St.Mcabe. You stood up for the public good, got trampled by those working against it and won.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭bono_v

Viper_JB wrote: »

Surely not if he is resigning??

Why shouldn't he get the payments that he is due and worked 30+ hard years for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Why not? He made pension contributions and in common with all state employees is entitled to a lump sum.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Shady Tady

Decent hard working guy who was shafted and scapegoated, His only failing was his loyalty to the government, hope he drops a bombshell on this government on his departure

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Shady Tady wrote: »
    Decent hard working guy who was shafted and scapegoated, His only failing was his loyalty to the government, hope he drops a bombshell on this government on his departure

He called someone upholding the law "disgusting". No one scape goated him.

• Advertisement

steddyeddy wrote: »
    He called someone upholding the law "disgusting". No one scape goated him.

5 hours of evidence and one word picked up on which he later explained the context in which it was used. Shatter and Kenny should resign because it was at their behest that he took the line he did. The shackles are off now and I hope he speaks out in the coming weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭bono_v

Why shouldn't he get the payments that he is due and worked 30+ hard years for?

Sorry you are correct there. I thought from what poster was saying he would get some sort of "golden handshake" on top of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,816 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

This is shambolic, any senior public servants that dont leave before August face pension benefit reductions, Callinan now has 41 years so will depart with the max lump sum and benefits, all he needed was an excuse to leave early, now he can throw the grenade over his shoulder and not look back.

DC Noirin O'Sullivan for first lady boss chief?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

5 hours of evidence and one word picked up on which he later explained the context in which it was used. Shatter and Kenny should resign because it was at their behest that he took the line he did. The shackles are off now and I hope he speaks out in the coming weeks!

He said what he said, no back tracking and additional context makes up for it. For someone in his position to make such a comment is unfathomable.

He singled out the two whistle blowers as bad apples and stated that no one else in the force is making any similar allegations.

He stated that the allegations and "all of those things that are levelled against their fellow officers" is what he found to be "quite disgusting, on a personal level, I think its quite disgusting".

Worth noting that the allegations made by said whistle blowers were found to be true and both officers were vindicated publicly.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

Job's still ****ed regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Larbre34 wrote: »
    This is shambolic, any senior public servants that dont leave before August face pension benefit reductions, Callinan now has 41 years so will depart with the max lump sum and benefits, all he needed was an excuse to leave early, now he can throw the grenade over his shoulder and not look back.

DC Noirin O'Sullivan for first lady boss chief?

Was thinking the exact same, so looking like the first Women Garda Commissioner of the force.

IMO I think Alan Shatter should also resign, he has not got one idea what he is doing as Minister his handling of this was a disgrace along with his soft approach to gangland crime in this country, we now have gangsters shooting each others faces off outside Creches. It will happen and become more common that Garda and the public will get caught up in the crossfire.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

While i hope he does speak out and expose Shatter and Kenny, I have no sympathy for him especially after his PAC remarks. He was asked if he wanted to withdraw his remark and he refused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Well done to St.Mcabe. You stood up for the public good, got trampled by those working against it and won.

A partial victory, perhaps. Now that Callinan is gone, Sgt McCabe's standing in the force should be fully reinstated, and the restrictions on him (eg re accessing Pulse) should be lifted. I'm not sure what redress would be required in John Wilson's case.

It should not be forgotten, of course, that these were Garda officers standing up for the public good. I can't believe they were just two out a force of 13,000 (to quote the former Commissioner) so another potential win in this case is that other officers will be empowered to take a similarly principled stand.

No explaining involved at all. The tide turned and he tried to wriggle out of it.

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    A partial victory, perhaps. Now that Callinan is gone, Sgt McCabe's standing in the force should be fully reinstated, and the restrictions on him (eg re accessing Pulse) should be lifted. I'm not sure what redress would be required in John Wilson's case.

Is he not under investigation re unauthorised access to PULSE?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I love how Ireland and his dog knew how to get out of a ticket and because two Garda actually came out and said it then its an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Zambia wrote: »
    I love how Ireland and his dog knew how to get out of a ticket and because two Garda actually came out and said it then its an issue.

Speak for yourself

That just shows you know how to get out of a ticket , I don't and have never tried and have no intention of trying and yes I have received penalty points.

Probably just another variation of the 'golden circle' notion, and the problem with this little country of ours is that I will be seen by some as the mug.

Corruption works both ways you know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

marienbad wrote: »
    Speak for yourself

That just shows you know how to get out of a ticket , I don't and have never tried and have no intention of trying and yes I have received penalty points.

Probably just another variation of the 'golden circle' notion, and the problem with this little country of ours is that I will be seen by some as the mug.

Corruption works both ways you know

I don't get the big deal with the points if you get caught speeding you get caught big deal, man up too it and drive safely, two years later you'll be back at zero. I have never gotten a point mainly down to fact I don't drive like a moron and take road safety seriously, cars in good condition is NCT'ed, Taxed and insured. So I never give someone a reason to issue points. It's simple stuff, as for the Garda clearing these points for so called 'friends' I wonder is it really worth it. Your cleaning up someone elses mess/carelessness would your 'friend' in the bank wipe a few grand off your loan/mortgage? Not a chance.

foreign wrote: »
    Is he not under investigation re unauthorised access to PULSE?

I have no idea. As far as I am concerned the "unauthorised" access to Pulse (and the data protection issues) are secondary to the main issue which is the “consistent and widespread breaches of policy” as reported by McCabe and Wilson and subsequently verified by the Garda Inspectorate.

The whistleblowers' accessing of Pulse may have been unauthorised, but in my view it was a necessary 'incursion' in order to expose the bigger problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Hitchroun

I'm surprised he stepped down. I can't see Shatter going despite the many issues surrounding him as he has the support from Kenny, due to backing him during the Fine Gael civil war days...

Why would an external candidate be chosen and not a member?

I wonder what effect this will have on the annual GRA meeting in a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Hitchroun wrote: »
    I'm surprised he stepped down.

I'm surpried it took so long.

I can't see Shatter going ....

Maybe a portfolio change ?

Why would an external candidate be chosen and not a member?

Greater transparency , less cronyism, better qualified ..

I wonder what effect this will have on the annual GRA meeting in a few days.

A massive bar tab

Long past time for a Policing Authority.

Hopefully a good external candidate will be found to fill the vacancy.

Yeah! Maybe like one of those civillians heading up the HSE

• Advertisement

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Long past time for a Policing Authority.

That's what the GRA and AGSI have been calling for but suddenly it's now a new good idea

Advertisement