Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ebola virus outbreak

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

I know it hasn't been solved, but it's being managed, the number of new cases is reducing, the organisations that can do most on the ground are in place.

Sure, it's not solved, but it ISN'T going to be a world threatening plague, it ISN'T even a regional disaster, it's just yet another nasty disease in Africa. There are a number of vaccines that show promise, and, with a little luck, this time next year it will just be a bad memory for all the survivors.

So, no longer a major threat to humanity, no longer a story. More people died in Europe from flu and pneumonia in the last 3 months that have ever died of Ebola.

So it isn't a huge issue, unless you are directly effected.

Perhaps it's time for less histrionics, and time for more analysis, and maybe even a concerted effort by the developed world to ensure the leaders of the poorest countries in the world are encouraged to implement and fund basic health and education systems, rather than building new palaces or buying fighter jets. Sanctions against individuals were used when the Russians invaded Ukraine, why not against Leaders that squander and steal their countries funds to the detriment of the very poorest?

Being managed would really depend on how you define it as there are many cases going unreported and its far from under control. that isnt histrionics its just how it is and it is a regional crisis that will get worse before it improves. still dont see how ebola can be compared to the flu or pneumonia or something like that. I mean if you are going to compare ebola to something it would be better comparing it to something that unlike flu or whatever has a 70% chance of killing you in a fairly painful and scary kind of way. like sneaking up behind a grizzly bear with a blindfold on and trying to hump him. that has about a 70% chance or more of ending bad for you in a really painful scary kind of way. I read somewhere that NY spent nearly 20 million dollars treating one case and monitoring contacts. one case. all in all things are still on and its no time to be complacent. unfortunately it still needs watching closely. agree with your comments though about corruption and that and making sure money donated reaches the people it should be reaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

WakeUp wrote: »
    Being managed would really depend on how you define it as there are many cases going unreported and its far from under control. that isnt histrionics its just how it is and it is a regional crisis that will get worse before it improves. still dont see how ebola can be compared to the flu or pneumonia or something like that. I mean if you are going to compare ebola to something it would be better comparing it to something that unlike flu or whatever has a 70% chance of killing you in a fairly painful and scary kind of way. like sneaking up behind a grizzly bear with a blindfold on and trying to hump him. that has about a 70% chance or more of ending bad for you in a really painful scary kind of way. I read somewhere that NY spent nearly 20 million dollars treating one case and monitoring contacts. one case. all in all things are still on and its no time to be complacent. unfortunately it still needs watching closely. agree with your comments though about corruption and that and making sure money donated reaches the people it should be reaching.

20 million dollars for one case? I think you might be a tad confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Miike wrote: »
    20 million dollars for one case? I think you might be a tad confused.

Yep. It's true. According to a NY senator anyway

In New York, which diagnosed its first Ebola case last month, the price tag has been steep, Schumer said.
    The city has spent about $20 million so far to quarantine and treat Dr. Craig Spencer, trace his contacts and make sure the disease doesn't spread, according to Schumer, a Democrat.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/16/politics/new-york-ebola-cost/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Yep. It's true. According to a NY senator anyway

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/16/politics/new-york-ebola-cost/

I still struggle to believe 20 million, I don't know why. For a single case?! Seems majorly excessive. I stand corrected mind you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I still struggle to believe 20 million, I don't know why. For a single case?! Seems majorly excessive. I stand corrected mind you :)

Pffft... You should see the bills Americans get for going to hospital for simple sh*t never mind treating someone with ebola. Just google and be alarmed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Thats $20M us government dollars. about 100 quid in real money.

The latest person to be brought back to the US for treatment has died. The doctor, from Sierra Leone, was in a very serious condition by the time he was transferred. It does seem that early treatment is key to survival.
    A surgeon who contracted Ebola while working in Sierra Leone, Dr. Martin Salia, died Monday while being treated in a biocontainment center in Omaha.

“It is with an extremely heavy heart that we share this news,” said Dr. Philip Smith, the medical director of the biocontainment unit at the Nebraska Medical Center. “Dr. Salia was extremely critical when he arrived here, and unfortunately, despite our best efforts, we weren’t able to save him.”

Dr. Salia, who is a citizen of Sierra Leone but lives in Maryland, had been working as a general surgeon at Kissy United Methodist Hospital in Sierra Leone’s capital, Freetown. It was not clear where he had come in contact with Ebola patients. Five other doctors in Sierra Leone have contracted Ebola; all have died.

A hospital spokeswoman, Taylor Wilson, said that Dr. Salia died about 4 a.m. Monday. He came down with symptoms of the virus on Nov. 6 but initially tested negative. He tested positive a week ago.

In a statement, the hospital said that Dr. Salia was suffering from advanced symptoms of Ebola, including kidney and respiratory failure, when he arrived on Saturday. Treatments, the statement said, included kidney dialysis and ventilation as well as a blood plasma transfusion from a patient who has recovered from Ebola and an experimental drug, ZMapp.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

5000+ people confirmed dead so far
    shows no signs of abating.

Over 16,000 confirmed cases in West Africa now and almost 7000 deaths. The news coverage of this has tailed off but it is far from over.
    The number of people killed by the Ebola outbreak in West Africa has risen to 6,928, the World Health Organisation (WHO) says.

The toll has increased by over 1,000 since the WHO's last report on Wednesday, but it includes unreported deaths from earlier in the outbreak.

Experts say the infection rate is more significant that the death toll, as it reflects how the virus is spreading.

Infection rates are decreasing in Liberia, but are high in Sierra Leone.

There have been over 16,000 reported cases in Guinea, Sierra and Liberia.

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-30260532

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Scottish Government Confirms Ebola Diagnosed In Glasgow Patient
    A healthcare worker who recently returned from West Africa has been diagnosed with Ebola and is being treated in hospital in Glasgow

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-30628349

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Thrill wrote: »
    Scottish Government Confirms Ebola Diagnosed In Glasgow Patient http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-30628349
    SkyNews are sending Kay Burley :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Are we all dead yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Irn Bru & whiskey should kill it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

late xmas present for me :cool: the potential to go global would be fun

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

Helicopters, bin lorries, Celtic and now Ebola. Poor Glasgow...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

PucaMama wrote: »

Disturbing.

It says she only arrived back in Glasgow from Sierra Leone on Sunday night and has already been diagnosed. She must have pretty much gone straight to hospital then. I wonder what stage she is at and how sick she is to be diagnosed so quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

PucaMama wrote: »

The fcuk is your major malfunction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

BREAKING: The British healthworker, with Ebola, is a nurse who worked at the British built Kerrytown Ebola hospital run by Save the Children

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

NEWS ALERT: Anyone who was on the BA flight from Heathrow to Glasgow that landed at 23.30 is being asked to call the Radio Clyde Newsroom.

Source: Radio Clyde.

What possible insight any random passengers can give on the situation other than wild speculation is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

The fcuk is your major malfunction?

Some people just want to watch the world burn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

porsche959 wrote: »
    BREAKING: The British healthworker, with Ebola, is a nurse who worked at the British built Kerrytown Ebola hospital run by Save the Children

I had forgotten about ebola. I hope she survives. The volunteer health workers going to west Africa are an inspiration.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

NEWS ALERT: Anyone who was on the BA flight from Heathrow to Glasgow that landed at 23.30 is being asked to call the Radio Clyde Newsroom.

Source: Radio Clyde.

What possible insight any random passengers can give on the situation other than wild speculation is beyond me.

I would imagine they're being given advice, information and instructions to go to hospital straight away if they get sick

Pwindedd wrote: »
    I would imagine they're being given advice, information and instructions to go to hospital straight away if they get sick

I'm sure they have an NHS helpline set up for that and if the response in the U.S. is anything to go by, those passengers will be contacted directly. That says call the Radio Clyde newsroom,.They are probably just hoping someone on the plane calls to say the person was wildly vomiting everywhere or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,011 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Firstly I hope this healthcare worker makes a full recovery.

However what kind of idiotic system have they in place to spend hundreds of millions in preventing the disease spreading only to allow healthcare workers who are treating victims of the disease to return to their home countries?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Ficheall

However what kind of idiotic system have they in place to spend hundreds of millions in preventing the disease spreading only to allow healthcare workers who are treating victims of the disease to return to their home countries?
    I'm guessing that since she was coming via Morocco, they would have needed her to tell them she'd previously been in Sierra Leone working with Ebola victims?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

They can't stop people who are treating victims from returning home, that would be punishing them for trying to help. I'd imagine a lot less would go if they thought they couldn't return then the disease would spread a lot faster

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

They can't stop people who are treating victims from returning home, that would be punishing them for trying to help. I'd imagine a lot less would go if they thought they couldn't return then the disease would spread a lot faster

Punishing? It's common sense.

The people threating them could opt to put themselves in a quarantine before flying home and endangering not only themselves but friends and family. You think It's punishment to take every precaution?

It's stupid reckless behavior from medical professionals. It is not as if this is the first one bringing it back. This has happened a few times now. She should have made it clear where she was coming from and her background.

Helping people is one thing. Being complacent with other people's lives because of it, is another thing..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

She was screened for symptoms on departure from Africa and also screened on arrival at Heathrow.

They caught this very, very early - good chance of a full recovery and with the minimum risk to other people.

To be fair, the UK authorities have handled this very well.

Advertisement