Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB: 2014 Regular Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    The sure-fire ALCS matchup of Oakland and Detroit is now the AL Wild Card matchup. Crazy how things change so quickly.

And they could easily change again in the next few weeks. That's what's great about it.

Imagine a 1 game playoff between Oakland and Detroit though. Who would start for either side, would their other star pitchers come in in relief? It'd be brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

And they could easily change again in the next few weeks. That's what's great about it.

The Mariners are lurking just behind (1/2 game?), and the Yankees, Jays and Indians are all within 4 1/2. Anything can happen. It's gonna be hell of a finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Imagine a 1 game playoff between Oakland and Detroit though. Who would start for either side, would their other star pitchers come in in relief? It'd be brilliant.

One thing is for sure...'Ace', Justin Verlander will not start!
    How times have changed!

One thing is for sure...'Ace', Justin Verlander will not start!
    How times have changed!

Some great pitchers have struggled this year; both Verlander and Lincecum spring to mind. Even Dickey, a former Cy Young winner, hasn't been good though the ball was dancing all over the place the other night, best I've see the knuckle all year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

I'm still alive boardies. They blocked the site at work, our Web filter categorized it as 'low brow'

I'm alive, but my Reds arent. I was impressed by their lineup of call ups last night. Going to the game tonight (Presley) and I'd almost prefer to see them over the starters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭boccy23

Dbacks have fired Kevin Towers.
    Had to happen.
    Need to get rid of Gibby as well and build this club back up.
    When you look at the various Bauer, Upton, Adam Eaton, Skaggs etc. and some dubious deals bringing in Trumbo and Arroyo etc.
    Regardless of talent, if the players didn't have "grit" - they would get shot.
    Crazy way to rum a professional team.

I'm still alive boardies. They blocked the site at work, our Web filter categorized it as 'low brow'

I'm alive, but my Reds arent. I was impressed by their lineup of call ups last night. Going to the game tonight (Presley) and I'd almost prefer to see them over the starters.

I know what you mean. This time of year if you're out of it it's a good time to look at the talent in the system and see how they get on at the top level. The Mets are doing that too. So you'll probably end up watching 2 fairly young, experimental sides tonight. Enjoy.

I know what you mean. This time of year if you're out of it it's a good time to look at the talent in the system and see how they get on at the top level. The Mets are doing that too. So you'll probably end up watching 2 fairly young, experimental sides tonight. Enjoy.

It's not just that. The minor league team the Reds put out last night produced more runs than the starters have in the past week.

It's not just that. The minor league team the Reds put out last night produced more runs than the starters have in the past week.

Colon's going for the Mets tonight who is either brilliant or rubbish. There's no in between so expect the Reds to either score 0 or 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

It's hard to figure out if the Yankees technically being in the WC race is fun or if it's just dragging out the agony.

• Advertisement

I'm thoroughly entertained by Bartolo Colon running the bases.

I'm thoroughly entertained by Bartolo Colon running the bases.

His at-bats have had me laughing all year. From swinging hard at pitches outside the zone to plate appearances when there's 2 out and no-one on an he doesn't even bother swinging the bat and is already on his way to the dugout before the third strike even reaches the plate.

I presume it was Irish night or something last night?

David Price gives up 5 straight hits with 2 out and the Giants go 4-0 up on the Tigers in the first.

EDIT - offence might bail him out. Back to 4-3 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Derek jeter getting a send off at Yankee stadium right now.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Derek jeter getting a send off at Yankee stadium right now.

Bad timing. Any other week I'd probably tune in for a bit but Ireland v Georgia on the TV and week 1 of the NFL on the laptop so I'll have to give it a miss.

2015 schedules announced today.

Time to plan a trip I think

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭BigFatGiant

So with about 17 days left in the regular season there is only 3 real tight races left. NL West, NL Central and AL Central, who does everyone fancy? Personally I'm really looking forward to this weekends series between SF and LA. With the Giants 2 Games behind these will be 3 crucial games. Just a pity the first 2 will be on at 3am over here. I fancy Detroit to overtake KC and win AL central and would like to see the Pirates win NL Central but can't see it happening.

So with about 17 days left in the regular season there is only 3 real tight races left. NL West, NL Central and AL Central, who does everyone fancy? Personally I'm really looking forward to this weekends series between SF and LA. With the Giants 2 Games behind these will be 3 crucial games. Just a pity the first 2 will be on at 3am over here. I fancy Detroit to overtake KC and win AL central and would like to see the Pirates win NL Central but can't see it happening.

I like the Pirates too but the NLC is too streaky to predict. Teams seem to win 4 in a row then lose a bunch. That one's definitely going down to the wire. Even the Brewers who have been awful recently could get back into it but that's probably the least likely to happen.

I'd like to see the Giants win the West but I reckon the Dodgers will hold on. This weekend's series will be great. If the Giants win 2, they'll only be a game behind so it'll make for a great last couple of weeks. In the AL, I'd say Detroit will win the Central but would love to see KC win it, if only just to see Detroit in the one game playoff.

Chris Davis from the Orioles banned for 25 games for amphetamine use. He's using the old Adderall excuse of course. Won't affect them in the regular season but it carries over to the playoffs so hell miss their first 8 games.

Wow. Could really hurt the O's in the playoffs. He had come on a lot in the second half.

• Advertisement

boccy23 wrote: »
    Wow. Could really hurt the O's in the playoffs. He had come on a lot in the second half.

And now we know why ha ha!!

Apparently 5% of the population in the US are diagnosed as having ADHD but around 10% of major leaguers claim to have it.

I'm not saying they're all lying but if you get approved you can take Addreral which apparently gives an energy boost and makes you more focused. So I wonder why baseball players would want to get their hands on those pills!!

I remember Eric Byrnes was diagnosed with ADHD. He wasn't faking it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Apparently 5% of the population in the US are diagnosed as having ADHD but around 10% of major leaguers claim to have it.

I'm not saying they're all lying but if you get approved you can take Addreral which apparently gives an energy boost and makes you more focused. So I wonder why baseball players would want to get their hands on those pills!!
    I'm reading that he had permission from MLB to take this stuff last season but didn't apply for the same this season.

Last season was epic for him, this year was a bust and now this. Probably took it too help break out of his funk & gambled on not been caught :rolleyes:

Bloody hell. Chris Young couldn't hit the ball to save his life for the first 5 months of the season with the Mets. Now he joins the Yankees and he's hitting like he's Babe Ruth. Another home run today.

Two touchdowns and a field goal for the Dodgers last night.

In case anyone was wondering why pitchers are made go through throwing the 4 pitches for an intentional walk, this can happen!

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/6479266/v36259795/cledet-kelly-scores-on-lees-unusual-wild-pitch

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

AL East Champions :D:D:D:D:D:D

That is all...

Benimar wrote: »
    AL East Champions :D:D:D:D:D:D

That is all...

Congrats and enjoy. I know the feeling well having followed the Jays through the late 80s, early 90s ie when they were really good! :D Haven't had much to celebrate since though this year the run in was at least exciting.

Good luck in the playoffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The Rockies are whipping the Dodgers 15-0.

Advertisement