Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handy Tips and Hints for Pregnant Ladies!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Mum said sex is a sure fire way of helping things along when full term - thanks Mum!

Girls, this might seem like a bizarre question, it's knicker related! Because my bump is becoming quite generous, I have found increasingly that putting on my knickers (stooping down, one leg in etc and pulling them up) is becoming a tad difficult! :o When I went to put on my swimsuit last night I was throwing some SERIOUS shapes with various wiggles and contortions (imagine a rather ungainly baby elephant in a tutu to Swan Lake) and I figured there MUST be some knack to make things easier! We've got a massive bed in our room which is very high up so sitting on the edge of our bed just makes the process even more cumbersome. Have any of you ladies who have had babies before come up with some easier way for panties assemblage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Merkin wrote: »
    Mum said sex is a sure fire way of helping things along when full term - thanks Mum!

Girls, this might seem like a bizarre question, it's knicker related! Because my bump is becoming quite generous, I have found increasingly that putting on my knickers (stooping down, one leg in etc and pulling them up) is becoming a tad difficult! :o When I went to put on my swimsuit last night I was throwing some SERIOUS shapes with various wiggles and contortions (imagine a rather ungainly baby elephant in a tutu to Swan Lake) and I figured there MUST be some knack to make things easier! We've got a massive bed in our room which is very high up so sitting on the edge of our bed just makes the process even more cumbersome. Have any of you ladies who have had babies before come up with some easier way for panties assemblage?

Lol lol... You could try putting them on lying down (on the bed)... Prob look quite funny tho...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Put them on the floor, step in and pull up. Don't even try one leg at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Merkin wrote: »

I am experiencing SPD (thankfully apart from two very bad days its been tolerable) which has started pretty early for me. In a bid to ease the movement around my pelvis I sit on the edge of the bed (if your one is too high try one in the spare room or even the toilet seat) and slip both of my feet into the knickers/ jeans/ trousers/ whatever and slide them as far up as I can - then stand up and finish the task. It helps lots.

Thanks girls, will try both.

Have you ever seen Wallis & Gromit's The Wrong Trousers? The suction robotic pants with lots of features? That's what I need.

• Advertisement

God you poor thing Penny, my sister-in-law had that and it was quite uncomfortable. Hopefully it will remain manageable for you. Good idea about the floor, bed in spare room is pretty low actually so that can be dressing room from now on! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

lazygal wrote: »
    Like how people took arnica for a week and it cleared those bruises right up.

:rolleyes:

Maybe you should try some for your shoulders, it must be painful holding such a large chip.......

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

A tip for the first trimester if you are feeling tired and crappy: allow yourself more time for everything. It took me like double the time to do anything, shower, get dressed and ready, get out the door, walk to work etc. In the house I had to sit down for a break sometimes, just got over whelmed with the exhaustion and nausea when trying to get ready for work. So, give yourself plenty of time and you won't be stressed and trying to rush when you can't physically do it.

Cherrycola wrote: »

Maybe you should try some for your shoulders, it must be painful holding such a large chip.......

Ah play nice! Attack the post, not the poster. Ad hominem doesn't add anything.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Ah play nice! Attack the post, not the poster. Ad hominem doesn't add anything.

Report posts that you have an issue with please.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

There is no need for such unhelpful comments.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Report posts that you have an issue with please.

Ah I didn't think it deserved reporting? I was just quoting what I remembered from the charter. I'll keep it in mind in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Oh I completely agree.
    lazygal wrote: »
    Like how people took arnica for a week and it cleared those bruises right up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Oh I completely agree.

Moonbeam was actually referring to YOUR unhelpful comment, not lazygals. Stop trying to stir up trouble. This will be your last warning, if you have a problem with this feel free to PM me. Lazygal was not attacking anyone personally, you were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

It may sound very obvious, but some daddies need to be told this. Make sure to tell him to TAKE PHOTOS!!!

My boyfriend bought a new camera months before baby was born, but to the best of my knowledge it hasn't yet been used. I only realised several hours after our baby's birth, when my boyfriend had gone home ages ago, that we'd gotten no photos of his early hours - I'd been counting on my boyfriend for that, but hadn't specifically instructed him to do it - something I've noted for next time around!

Those early moments, when you see the baby for the first time, are so absolutely precious. I would love to have had a photo of it, and I don't, because I just assumed he'd know to take some, and he didn't! They're the moments you can never ever get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

+1 on early photos I have a photo of each of my two on my chest in the first minute of there lives and have them framed in a "mum&me" frames! I also have 1800 photos of just my son in his 13 months and have them organised month by month I thought I was over the top but a year on its great to find what I want!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Yes I mean you'd just assume that a dad would want to record the first few minutes/moments of his baby's life! Especially since the mother will most likely be completely out of it after the birth. But it seems it never occurred to him ... ah well! It's something to note for next time, but I still think it's a pity for our first son that he's missing those first photos!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

With my daughter (1st born) we had loads of her first few moments. On my chest etc. With my son (2nd born) we totally forgot until we were back in post natal and OH was about to go home. Cant believe it. and feel guilty now that we have those for daughter but not son. Also seem to have loads printed off and all around the house of our daughter but again none printed yet for son. Something to do today I suppose. He is only 5 weeks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Yeah I had that guilt with photos printed and framed and the like of my son so went and started her album and have pics framed and we even managed a family picture too.. But the house is falling apart around me.. Who needs the house anyway

.. But the house is falling apart around me.. Who needs the house anyway

Lol! I like your priorities :D

• Advertisement

My other half is now using impending fatherhood as an excuse to buy a new phone and/or camera 'I can't be taking photos of the baby with this crappy phone!' :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I totally forgot to get photos printed today when in town. Can I still blame baby brain I wonder.

Madeinamerica a good phone that has a decent camera would be better. You always have your phone handy but if they are smiling, pulling faces etc you would never get the camera in time but chances are the phone will be in your pocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

My other half is now using impending fatherhood as an excuse to buy a new phone and/or camera 'I can't be taking photos of the baby with this crappy phone!' :rolleyes:

I used this pregnancy as an excuse to buy a new phone too :D My excuse was that I didn't want to be stuck in hospital with a crappy phone that couldn't access the net properly. :p

I realise asking for a tip on this is like asking for a map to the Holy Grail but I figure it's worth a shot!! Am 37 + 4 and Baby Merkin's head is semi engaged with my bump having dropped really significantly in the last 24 hours. Result of this is that I just CANNOT get comfy! I have a Dream Genii pillow which has been great but bump is just soooooo huge now that finding a comfy position in bed is nigh on impossible. As for turning.......it takes military planning! For all you lovely ladies who have had babies, what did you do at this late stage re sleep/getting as comfy as possible? Any tips on good positions? Should I just try it in an armchair instead? Any feedback or ideas appreciated! xx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

I had sciatica, and the ONLY way I could get comfy was to kneel on the couch, arms folded on the armrest and let the bump dangle between my legs. Sexy.

I put pillows all round me in bed! I'd lie on my side. Had 2/3 pillows in a triangle shape for my head and shoulders. Pillow at my belly and legs and between my legs. Didn't find the pregnancy pillow enough at this late stage. And needed a pillow kinda half under my bump while I was lying on my side. Hope you're managing to get some sleep and rest :) x

Thank you both so much! After I typed that last night I got inventive and ended up sleeping for nine hours! :) I basically did what you said Sligo, put the pregnancy pillow under my bump but then an additional pillow at my back and another between my legs and another below the pregnancy pillow so myself and my very large bump were blissfully cocooned and supported in a little pillow tent for the night so I was unbelievably comfy. I'd really struggled for a night or two before! Going to do it again tonight as my bump seems to have dropped even further today!!!!!! Thank you xx

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Sligo1 wrote: »
    I put pillows all round me in bed! I'd lie on my side. Had 2/3 pillows in a triangle shape for my head and shoulders. Pillow at my belly and legs and between my legs. Didn't find the pregnancy pillow enough at this late stage. And needed a pillow kinda half under my bump while I was lying on my side. Hope you're managing to get some sleep and rest :) x

Sounds just like the way I used to sleep. My poor oh barely had any room in the bed due to me and nearly every pillow in the house!

Xdancer wrote: »
    Sounds just like the way I used to sleep. My poor oh barely had any room in the bed due to me and nearly every pillow in the house!

Lol... I think I used between 6-8 pillows. We have a super kingsize bed and poor OH was always at the edge....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

I'm not being smart but how on earth do you manage to get 6-8 pillows into the bed with you and OH or are people sleeping on their own? I'm pretty sure if I tried to use that many pillows he'd wake up thinking that something was attacking him....

Advertisement