Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handy Tips and Hints for Pregnant Ladies!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

Sligo1 wrote: »
    I got mine in McCabes in Dundrum. So Im assuming the whole chain has them :)

I got them in McCabes in Swords and they had lots of them - all on the bottom shelf which seemed to me a cruel trick to play on heavily pregnant women!

Stay as active and "normal" as possible, as long as possible, is important.

I would second this - I was very incapacitated up to 20 weeks and it's really only in the last month or so that I've got back into a routine of exercise and I have to say I feel SO much better. I also try to get out and about as much as possible and resist the lure of the sofa. So if you're up to it get out, get moving, see friends and live your life.

On maternity clothes - stay in your own clothes as long as you can as you will be sick of wearing the same things! Also I really planned what I would buy and kept it to a small core wardrobe as the clothes will only be worn for a few months. I'm only 30 weeks and already sick of the sight of my work clothes as they're on a very short rotation but I WILL resist buying anything else!

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

Those maternity pads are very scary!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭painauchocolat

Sarah Bear wrote: »
    Those maternity pads are very scary!!!!

+1!
    Is it just the packaging that's green? Or are the actual pads green? If so, WHY???

+1!
    Is it just the packaging that's green? Or are the actual pads green? If so, WHY???

I'm not worried about the colour haha "hospital grade" my poor bits! Am I going to be gushing blood!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭painauchocolat

Yeah, time to stop watching grey's anatomy I think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

It can be very heavy for the first few days, but only because when you think of it, a period is only 1 month worth of build up in the womb, lochia is 9 months build up of it. Some women get it heavier, some say it's the same as a normal period just lasts longer.

One side of them is green and the other is white.

January wrote: »
    It can be very heavy for the first few days, but only because when you think of it, a period is only 1 month worth of build up in the womb, lochia is 9 months build up of it. Some women get it heavier, some say it's the same as a normal period just lasts longer.

One side of them is green and the other is white.
    Oh lord I'm so dumb... I thought the horrendous bleeding was due to tearing or the likes.. Hahahaha I was wondering how you all didn't bleed to death!

Haha :D at least your not as bad as me... I had a c section on my first and honestly thought that they sucked out everything so you didn't bleed afterwards... well... the shock I got when I stood up for the first time after it...

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,908 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I used these instead of maternity towels, simply because the ones I bought in mothercare were useless and I had to buy more in a pinch. They were actually fantastic. They're HUGE, almost like wearing a nappy but my god did they do the job. They were handy because the hubby could pick them up in tesco or dunnes when he did the grocery shopping. Also Tesco do maternity towels with in their 'Mum' range and they're great too. My SIL got me a pack when I was in the hospital and I'd definitely use them again if I ever manage to have another baby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Dont know if it been said already but disposable undies for the first day or 2 after really are great. I found maternity pads so uncomfartable so switched to always night pads after about 2 days also .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

The green ones are good and only 3 Euro a pack I bought 2 with my first and when I used them (over 3 days, heavy) I then switched to normal always and always night which was more comfortable cause they stick so get some of them too. I was lucky just 7 days of it.

I recommend having loads of baths if it's a natural birth makes certain areas feel better and easy to clean. I was on 3 baths a day

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Back in the dark ages[19 years ago] i found 2 dinners a good thing.I never got morning sickness always lunch/dinner.So i done 2 of those and if i got sick there was always another one going spare.

Also make sure your other half brings a soft towel in to the hospital.You dont realise how tender your skin feels.So the softer teh better.

Suucee wrote: »
    Dont know if it been said already but disposable undies for the first day or 2 after really are great. I found maternity pads so uncomfartable so switched to always night pads after about 2 days also .

Oh I hate disposable undies... always just bought cheap packets of underwear in Penneys and threw them out if they got too destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

Bring nice biscuits for hospital! They bring you tea, but it's nice to have a boccie!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

A roll of small plastic bags for sending dirty laundry home, babies puke a lot!

Flip flops for the shower, good for swollen feet too.

A light dressing gown, even in winter, the ward will be roasting. A spray mist is good for cooling you down too.

A sports bottle filled with water to bring to the loo with you if you end up with stitches, a spray of water down there during and after peeing helps ease the stinging and keeps everything clean and fresh. Oh the joys eh??! Lol

Leave your going home clothes hanging up and ready to go at home so your other half has no trouble finding them when needed.

Put baby's first outfit and nappy into a ziplock bag in your labour bag, again, makes things easy for him when the midwife asks for it.

Dark coloured pj bottoms and towels, just helps you feel more secure in case of leaks. Nighties are great for after if you need to be examined here and there, but have a pair of pj bottoms to stick on for walking to around and while visitors are there, makes it less awkward getting in and out of the bed and trying to not show the world your bits!

If you suffer from haemorrhoids during the pregnancy, chances are labour and pushing will make them ten times worse, oh the throbbing! Be prepared, ask you doc for a prescription for proctosedyl suppositories and have them in your bag for after the birth. The pain from them is off the scale, even compared to stitches, and the suppositories are fantastic, especially in the wee hours of the morning when there is no pain relief available to you until the next drug round!

When you get home from hospital get all your visitors around at the same time if possible, get them all out of the way at once, or else you will be plagued with them drip feeding their visits over the course of two weeks, and you will get no rest, and before you know it your other half is gone back to work and you are in a heap!
    If people ask can they do anything, accept their help! Ask for cooked dinners that can be heated up when needed or you will be living on takeaways and sandwiches.

For heartburn during pregnancy, Zantac, your doc can prescribe 150mg tabs, 12 hrs of relief in each dose, amazing. And safe.

Ok, I think that's enough to be going on with for now! Lol if I think of anything else I'll be back.

Funny enough i always had babies labour bag in a bag,saves your dearly beloved looking through stuff.Bring your bag in to hospital but bring your labour bag in your main bag.
    If that was my tip thats it,seriously makes sense.I have had enough kids at this stage.I done it after 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Cellular blankets. Buy them. You don't tend to get them as presents, and you'll use them a lot the first couple of months.

Also do not get sheets for your Moses basket or carrycot. Buy a few pillow cases instead. They fit perfectly, and you'll get use out of them in future too. And you'll get much nicer prettier pillow cases than baby sheets! Moses basket sheets are one thing you definitely don't need, a complete waste of money.

Sorry it's probably against the spirit of the thread to request tips...

If you're having a planned section do you still need the separate labour bag? Is there anything else you need/don't need (except for extra clothes etc for you and babs due to the longer stay)? I'm working off the standard list the hospital gave me.

• Advertisement

Yes still have it separate.I had an emergency section on the last baby and it was so much handier having the bag within the bag.
    Also if your gonna be breastfeeding stock up on your snacks now.You wont believe how hungry you will get.Also boxsets are great when you are up all night feeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Sorry it's probably against the spirit of the thread to request tips...

If you're having a planned section do you still need the separate labour bag? Is there anything else you need/don't need (except for extra clothes etc for you and babs due to the longer stay)? I'm working off the standard list the hospital gave me.

No. I had a small bag for waiting for theatre with magazines, slippers etc which himself put into my bag for the ward. He kept baby's first nappies and outfit in a Ziplocbag. The nurses like to get the fellas minding the baby while you're in recovery.
    If you're having a planned section take your jewelry off and give it to your partner to mind. And buy loads of WHITE high waistline pants in penny's, comfort for the scar.

One good tip is to pack your hospital bag with your other half, go through exactly where everything is and it'll save the annoyance of him looking at the bag and asking you where things are.
    I had two sections and used normal nighttime Always pads. Hated the hospital ones. Don't follow those hints to use witch hazel or arnica or anything else, manage your pain (ask if pain relief isn't offered afterwards or you miss a dose) and wash with water only. I followed the water only advice post sections and healed perfectly.
    Before you get too uncomfortable grab your bag and head off somewhere alone for a few hours. It won't feel important at the time but savor being able to just go somewhere without having to bring a child and all their stuff.
    Get highlights or whatever hair cuts you need on the two week maternity leave before baby comes because you'll feel better for it and you won't have time for long appointments in the newborn weeks/months.
    Don't tell people your precise due date - I didn't and avoided all the 'any news' texts/emails/messages.

lazygal wrote: »
    No. I had a small bag for waiting for theatre with magazines, slippers etc which himself put into my bag for the ward. He kept baby's first nappies and outfit in a Ziplocbag. The nurses like to get the fellas minding the baby while you're in recovery.
    If you're having a planned section take your jewelry off and give it to your partner to mind. And buy loads of WHITE high waistline pants in penny's, comfort for the scar.

Thanks for this, I was thinking I would just need a dressing gown, slippers and clothes for the baby. I assume they'll give me a surgical gown to wear myself? I've had a few ops over the years so I'm sorted wrt jewellery and nail varnish etc.

Actually there's a tip - I've heard of lots of people treating themselves to shellac before the birth - be warned that if you do end up having a section all nail varnish will have to come off!

Can I ask why the undies should be white? I've bought a few packs of the penney's pants but they're in black. I've already put them through the wash to ensure they don't have any loose fluff to stick to scars, but maybe there's another reason why they should be white?

I found the black ones stuck fluff to the scar. Preferred white.

I have gel nails and had no problems. They looked at toes instead. I got two gowns before theatre, and I'd advise nighties not pjs after, much easier for the scar.

I found the black ones stuck fluff to the scar. Preferred white.

I have gel nails and had no problems. They looked at toes instead. I got two gowns before theatre, and I'd advise nighties not pjs after, much easier for the scar.

Great thanks, hopefully my de-fluffing will have done the trick. Sorry i should have specified they generally need the toe-nails clear of polish

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Don't tell people your precise due date - I didn't and avoided all the 'any news' texts/emails/messages.

I am not sure about this, we have only told people the month and they are driving me
    demented at the moment. they refuse to believe the month i have told them. i think it is worse :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Dubstarr said about bringing snacks if breastfeeding but I'd say get your partner to make you up a few sandwiches and some snacks and a large bottle of water. I prefer sparkling anyway so my bus band brought in 3 bottles. You get supper around 5pm and tea with a biccie around 8 and that's it until 8am.

I'll never forget how ravenous I was on the first night after my son was born. I devoured everything my husband brought in. The chances are you won't get much sleep regardless of feeding methods as everyone's babies are awake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I used a pair of men's braces to keep my trousers up. The over-bump ones were always falling down. Ok, I did look a bit like Hardy from Laurel and Hardy near the end but it worked!

My most useful piece of maternity clothing was a black wrap dress. I could dress it up or down, wear it to work or out. I wore as my going home clothes because I'd had a section and everything was still swollen and sore. It covered everything up and looked good.

I found that my body took quite a while to get back to normal, I lost all the baby weight bar 4 kilos in the first couple of weeks but my shape had changed. Just before I went back to work I booked myself an appointment with a personal stylist. That helped a lot as it had been nearly a year since I'd worn my original work wardrobe, between pregnancy and maternity leave, and now I had some new clothes that fitted my new shape and I felt far more professional. The personal shopper was free and they worked within my budget and I got a great capsule wardrobe.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Put a laundry basket with extra spare items for you and baby somewhere at home so if you do need another handful of underwear or night wear he goes there and brings you in the right ones.

A maternity pad stuck horizontally to the inside of your underwear post section helps protect you a bit against accidental knocks to your scar.

Get your partner to pack his own bag of spare T-shirt and socks and his own toilet bag to freshen up with deoderant and toothbrush. Hospitals are roasting you both could be there a while! Another tip for dads is to bring water and snacks for him. Paracetamol too. He isn't the patient so if the hospital heat gives him a headache the nurses can't give him anything.

Advertisement