Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Centre RTE March 24th

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

I had one of the writers of the centre go into a full on immature childish name calling meltdown at me on Facebook last week upon my replying to a mutual friends post about the show. I basically said what I thought of it, which is that it is god awful and insulting to the transsexual community and insulting to anyone's intelligence. That'll tell you the level the writers come from.

Anyways, there's been a petition started to have it pulled.
    You can find it here.
    http://www.thepetitionsite.com/222/532/099/demand-rte-immediately-scraps-the-comedy-the-centre-encouraging-abuse-of-transgender-people/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

david75 wrote: »
    I had one of the writers of the centre go into a full on immature childish name calling meltdown at me on Facebook last week upon my replying to a mutual friends post about the show. I basically said what I thought of it, which is that it is god awful and insulting to the transsexual community and insulting to anyone's intelligence. That'll tell you the level the writers come from.

Anyways, there's been a petition started to have it pulled.
    You can find it here.
    http://www.thepetitionsite.com/222/532/099/demand-rte-immediately-scraps-the-comedy-the-centre-encouraging-abuse-of-transgender-people/

What was his reasoning for said "meltdown". Have you seen the whole series?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,022 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

jane82 wrote: »
    The worse thing to come out of the internet is people losing the skill to laugh at themselves.
    Everyone gets outraged at something different everyday.

Yeah of course. If you were trans would you be laughing at being King Kong in a thong?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 41,022 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

If we paid heed to all these minority groups feelings , then no comedy would ever be written , its called satire. I am not saying that it was good satire , but it was a social a commentary or a gross exageration of sterotypes. Some people found it funny I didnt, but that doesn;t give any minority group the right to dictate how they are portrayed on television. Its freedom of speech , do we want to go down the political correctness route of America where any body who critcises Obama is racist because that's where we are heading if we allow vested interests to dictate our television.

This isn't satire or comedy. It's completely offensive mockery and portrays trans people as dehumanised objects.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Pavee point also have just cause and are out against it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭NormanNicetouch

Where are all the protests outside Panti Bar demanding it be closed down? Ugly bloke in a wig and frock caked in bad make-up giving a ludicrous OTT portrayal of a woman and setting back the cause of the gay community decades in its attempts to overcome hideously outdated stereotypes etc etc.

Why be so selective in choosing your targets? It's like the people who think nothing of attacking Catholics over gay rights but would have a sh*tfit before they would attack Muslims over their position.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Where are all the protests outside Panti Bar demanding it be closed down? Ugly bloke in a wig and frock caked in bad make-up giving a ludicrous OTT portrayal of a woman and setting back the cause of the gay community decades in its attempts to overcome hideously outdated stereotypes etc etc.

Why be so selective in choosing your targets? It's like the people who think nothing of attacking Catholics over gay rights but would have a sh*tfit before they would attack Muslims over their position.
    A drag queen and a transexual are very different things. And ironically enough, you've perfectly shown the attitude many people fighting for equality have to break through.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭celtic tiger 2011

This isn't satire or comedy. It's completely offensive mockery and portrays trans people as dehumanised objects.

You might not think its satire, but there are a lot of people in the country who think it is and they get great enjoyment from the show, we live in a democracy so a minority group has no right to dictate what is shown on our TV if the masses are entertained by it. If you want to live in a censorshipped state go and live in communist china .

Everybody has the right to freedom of speech no matter who it may offend . If the tyrannys are upset about how they are portrayed why don't do something creative and go do a satire show about how awful and pathetic RTE is and how its full of inbred finana fail hacks, instead of acting like victims.

If we lets these trannys away with their political correctness, next we wont be able to mock the catholic church, politicians , z list celebrities, d 4's , skangers etc and any resonable person does not want to live in a society where freedom specch is censored . Our libels laws are stringent enough in this country without outlawing satire and that joke about king kong in a thong was actually funny, even if some transgender people might have found it offensive.

humanji wrote: »
    A drag queen and a transexual are very different things. And ironically enough, you've perfectly shown the attitude many people fighting for equality have to break through.

Your right a drag queen and a transexual are very different. One is a man who dresses up as a woman for a laugh the other is a person who has serious unaddressed physcological problems.

Mod Edit: Please stop reporting this post. See post #143 below.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭NormanNicetouch

Both Panti and The Centre guy are continuing the great tradition of men dressing as women for a laugh which goes back centuries. Nobody honestly thinks Panti is an accurate representation of gay men and nobody honestly thinks The Centre guy is an accurate representation of transsexuals. Comedy has always been full of grotesques. Most people can see this but clearly the just-waiting-to-be-offended lobby can't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Everybody has the right to freedom of speech no matter who it may offend .

And everybody has the right to protest no matter who it may offend.

What was his reasoning for said "meltdown". Have you seen the whole series?

I didn't see the post but if he/she goes into meltdown every time they read criticism of their work online then they better steer clear of the Internet.

It's not professional and they'll just come off looking as bad as that Roaring Twenties crowd.

Both Panti and The Centre guy are continuing the great tradition of men dressing as women for a laugh which goes back centuries. Nobody honestly thinks Panti is an accurate representation of gay men and nobody honestly thinks The Centre guy is an accurate representation of transsexuals. Comedy has always been full of grotesques. Most people can see this but clearly the just-waiting-to-be-offended lobby can't.
    Again, they're two very different things. The are not comparable.

Nobody is saying you can't have a transgendered character that can be laughed at. It's when you create such a one dimensional, sloppy character who's only purpose is to be laughed at that you can't pretend it's satire, or meaningful in anyway. It's just a joke at the expense of a group who are struggling enough as it is to not be marginalised, that having the national broadcaster pointing and laughing at them doesn't help.

The League of Gentlemen had a similar character, who was part way through their procedures but had hairy arms and a deep manly voice etc. But this character worked because it was a fleshed out character who perfectly fitted the bizarre world of the series and played a part in the various stories. That's how you write a character. You don't pick a minority and write crude jokes about them for everyone else to laugh at them. It's just bullying because they're too lazy to make an effort.

What's that Nabokov quote? "Satire is a lesson, parody is a game."

I'd be interested in what people would class The Centre as - satire or parody?

Your right a drag queen and a transexual are very different. One is a man who dresses up as a woman for a laugh the other is a person who has serious unaddressed physcological problems.

Seriously??

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    What's that Nabokov quote? "Satire is a lesson, parody is a game."

I'd be interested in what people would class The Centre as - satire or parody?
    Neither, to be honest. And I don't mean that in the stroppy "I didn't like it, so it doesn't count as anything" way, but more that it really doesn't fit into either of those categories. They created a small group of one dimensional characters and went with a series of easy jokes for them. That's not a bad thing in itself, and can sometimes work brilliantly. But in this case it kind of seems that they were writing about something they had no experience of, and as a result all they could do was try and pad it out with whatever jokes sprung to mind. I don't know if that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

The show takes potshots at everybody though. Either be offended at the portrayal of all minorities on the show or none. Picking and choosing which ones you deem most offensive is not helping anybody. It comes across as "We are been victimised more then you are"

The show is ****e (bar the lovely Yasmin's character) but just look at how travellers and muslims where slagged in Mondays show. It is not just transsexuals who are being targetted.

gazzer wrote: »
    The show is ****e (bar the lovely Yasmin's character) but just look at how travellers and muslims where slagged in Mondays show. It is not just transsexuals who are being targetted.

Pavee Point have come out against it too haven't they?

I don't think transexuals protesting were saying they were the only ones offended. But just because the show may be offensive to multiple groups doesn't mean that any one of those groups can't complain about their own particular portrayal in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Pavee Point have come out against it too haven't they?

I dont know. I didnt hear about any protests against it but I could be wrong. I only heard about some people protesting outside RTE about the representation of the Trans character.

gazzer wrote: »
    I dont know. I didnt hear about any protests against it but I could be wrong. I only heard about some people protesting outside RTE about the representation of the Trans character.

Sorry. When I said come out against it I meant complained not actually held a protest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

This and other posts you've made show a pretty clear disdain for transgender people, which explains why you like this show and think it's such a hoot; it presents a horrible charicature that relies on extremely negative stereotyping, and as such reinforces your own views of what a transgender person is and appeals to your own prejudices. Tell me, are you laughing with or at the character?

Sure it's just comedy you say. And sure Jim Davidson's just having a laugh too, no harm there either, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Please don't post in this thread again.

Again, they're two very different things. The are not comparable.

Nobody is saying you can't have a transgendered character that can be laughed at. It's when you create such a one dimensional, sloppy character who's only purpose is to be laughed at that you can't pretend it's satire, or meaningful in anyway. It's just a joke at the expense of a group who are struggling enough as it is to not be marginalised, that having the national broadcaster pointing and laughing at them doesn't help.

The League of Gentlemen had a similar character, who was part way through their procedures but had hairy arms and a deep manly voice etc. But this character worked because it was a fleshed out character who perfectly fitted the bizarre world of the series and played a part in the various stories. That's how you write a character. You don't pick a minority and write crude jokes about them for everyone else to laugh at them. It's just bullying because they're too lazy to make an effort.

Oh I see whats going on here . It's a case of we have to use your measuring stick to decide whats offensive and what isn't . So because in your eyes in that show the league of gentlemen they have a transgender characeter who you believe wouldn't offend transgenders thats ok . Well tell you what i guarantee they are transgender people out there who are offended by the portrayl of the transgender characeter , do we cater to their needs to, or do they not matter becuase you like that particular show and thats what your real gripe is about punk, the show not being funny and you not liking it, nothing to do with the feelings of transgenders, that's just a convient excuse so you can get the show taking off air and censor the media , because that's what your calling for punk, media censorship, you want to set the agenda and dictate how the rest of should live.

. Your nothing but a fake neo liberal who uses the feelings of minoritys as a smokescreen to dictate to us what we should and shouldn't find funny. I have got news for you punk, we still live in a democracy and the majority rule, get out of my country you control freak fasicst scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Bye.

Would it be funny if they had a transgender woman who was womanly looking and acted like a lady at all times and nobody could make fun of?
    Should they have had stick flying through each episode and have the transgender lady walking about doing her work really hard and getting the promotions she deserves?
    This is a show about a centre that employs the dregs of any minority gene pool. This centre is interested in getting grants from this. Im sure there are lovely transgender, travellers, D4 people, Inner city people, muslim people, people who have been accused and cleared of a crime, nervous people and lunch ladies, this show isnt about that its about the worst traveller in the world the worst transgender etc etc.
    People just love to protest. In uganda gays are jailed for life. If the lgbt community protested about things like that they might make a difference but they are sullying their cause by protesting about what banners they can use in a parade and how they are portrayed on a low budget tv show seen by a few thousand people.

My post above pretty much sums it all up.

People just love to protest. In uganda gays are jailed for life. If the lgbt community protested about things like that they might make a difference but they are sullying their cause by protesting about what banners they can use in a parade and how they are portrayed on a low budget tv show seen by a few thousand people.

Now you're just talking nonsense.

What has Uganda got to do with this?

You might as well say to someone protesting about the household tax that there's people in Africa without homes and why don't they protest about that instead?

I'm not saying that you're not allowed to enjoy the show and allowed to argue why the show should not be seen as offensive but saying that people are sullying their name by complaining is nonsense.

I'm really enjoying this thread I have to say. I'm not going to ruin my enjoyment of it but watching the show though so everyone else has to keep me informed. Thanks guys.

Now you're just talking nonsense.

What has Uganda got to do with this?

You might as well say to someone protesting about the household tax that there's people in Africa without homes and why don't they protest about that?

Lets look at it from the average outside view. Lets call our average man john.
    John: the gay community are complaining about a transgender womans portrayal on rte. Jaysis in Uganda their fellow gay men and women are getting jailed for life just for being born gay and this is what they are spending their time complaining about.
    They really need to sort their priorities out. The banks and polititiins rob the country, people born the same way as them are being killed and jailed for life all over the world, the boss of rehab is rolling in it and this group is bothered about the writing of a low budget tv show that I watch when I come home from work and want to switch the brain off.
    Would they ever go way and do something useful with their time.

Lets look at it from the average outside view. Lets call our average man john.
    John: the gay community are complaining about a transgender womans portrayal on rte. Jaysis in Uganda their fellow gay men and women are getting jailed for life just for being born gay and this is what they are spending their time complaining about.
    They really need to sort their priorities out. The banks and polititiins rob the country, people born the same way as them are being killed and jailed for life all over the world, the boss of rehab is rolling in it and this group is bothered about the writing of a low budget tv show that I watch when I come home from work and want to switch the brain off.
    Would they ever go way and do something useful with their time.

So nobody should ever complain about anything because there's other things in the world worse?

By your logic if you broke your leg and went to hospital the doctors should look at you and say "ah would you go away, that'll fix itself, see that lad over there? He's got cancer and he's gonna be dead in a week."

It's nonsense.

• Advertisement

No Itd be like having cancer and not caring but turning up in a and e with a cold.

Advertisement