Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Centre RTE March 24th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

Elmo wrote: »
    They tried desperately to give him a show, every week he had a new one.

I haven't watched the show, it looks ****e. BTW largely a female case.

I liked Craig Doyles Everest Windows show,where he showed how warm and cosy his house was with the windows, and told a joke involving windows and rain and that....I think he's very handsome and all...that's all.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    There's a protest outside RTE at 7.30pm about the depiction of the pre-op transsexual character in this show apparently:

Yer wan Dil from Newstalk's Victim Village (on Saturday nights) was giving out yards about the portrayal of transexuals and the portrayal of the Traveller woman... No doubt she will be leading the martyrs..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

It was no better nor worse than Mrs Brown's Boys. Like that show, The Centre had its good and bad bits but it probably was not there at the right place or time.

Katherine Lynch is from the same town/area that gave us Declan Nerney and Mick Flavin, but I don't think her wild and crude comedy would fit in in the Marquee in Drumlish anytime soon! Longford's answer to Mrs Brown she may well be but is Ireland hungry for this? Have we not have had enough of this type of thing on Wagons Den (also with KL) and other such shows?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭celtic tiger 2011

It was no better nor worse than Mrs Brown's Boys. Like that show, The Centre had its good and bad bits but it probably was not there at the right place or time.

Katherine Lynch is from the same town/area that gave us Declan Nerney and Mick Flavin, but I don't think her wild and crude comedy would fit in in the Marquee in Drumlish anytime soon! Longford's answer to Mrs Brown she may well be but is Ireland hungry for this? Have we not have had enough of this type of thing on Wagons Den (also with KL) and other such shows?

Don't you know the Irish people never get sick of mediocrity. They know no better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

jane82 wrote: »
    I cant flocking wait for it. Im so excited its a bit sad really. Feckin protesters.

Are they stopping you from watching it? :confused:

• Advertisement

There's a protest outside RTE at 7.30pm about the depiction of the pre-op transsexual character in this show apparently:

http://eile.ie/2014/03/31/transgender-community-unhappy-with-rte-sitcom-character/

Those muppets should be protesting about more important issues like the IMF raping and pilaging the country . You know what the IMF stands for? . I'm ****ed.

Those muppets should be protesting about more important issues like the IMF raping and pilaging the country. You know what the IMF stands for? . I'm ****ed.

People are entitled to protest about anything they like.

When people protested about Pantigate did you dismiss them because they weren't protesting about the IMF?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,926 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

First time viewer, the target was obviously to land somewhere between Shameless and Inbetweeners but the writing is a million miles off both. They shouldve got Yasmine Akram to consult on it as shes a good writer. Still, the same lady is the two ends of smokin' hot, so not an entirely wasted 30 mins!

People are entitled to protest about anything they like.

When people protested about Pantigate did you dismiss them because they weren't protesting about the IMF?

All the protests will serve to make the show even more popular. Interest in it will increase and there is no such thing as bad publicity. Many people watch it for differing reasons: there's those who love it, there's those of the 'it's so bad it's good' mentality and there's those who are just curios.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

The Centre had its good and bad bits but it probably was not there at the right place or time.

Well, mostly bad bits. ;)

And the place it's in is nowhere near the right one. Same can be said for the time. ;)

Katherine Lynch ... Longford's answer to Mrs Brown she may well be but is Ireland hungry for this? Have we not have had enough of this type of thing on Wagons Den (also with KL) and other such shows?

The folks at Montrose seem to think we are still hungry for this sort of comedy... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)

• Advertisement

This episode was even worse than last weeks episode . The only funny bit was when the knacker shouted I am going to kill ya to Menton. I fear this is going to be a huge ratings success like Killnaskully , but in fairness nothing is as bad as Killnaskully.

Killinaskully I loved admittedly! True, by series 5, it was played out but the first 3 series and most of series 4 was good and even some of series 5. It was good because it reminded me exactly of locals you'd know and it is a tribute to what Irish pubs used to be! Unfortunately, some of the episodes predicted the demise of rural Ireland exactly as it is happening and there was this darker undercurrent to it.

Killinaskully imo was far better than Mrs Brown, The Centre, and other such comedies. There are worse programmes on though than Mrs Brown or The Centre at present too. But, each to their own.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

Im absolutely shocked people are so turned off by this. Look at the comedy channels Mike and Molly, Anger Management, 2 and a half men, now they are promising a thing where a couple have 2 friends that hate each other(woopdefricking doo).
    Its miles better than any of that. Its not a super classic but its very watchable with quite a few bits that make you laugh.
    Theres alot of worse stuff out there.

All the protests will serve to make the show even more popular.

Possibly. But I think if people have a valid complaint against it then they should be allowed draw attention to that.
    Interest in it will increase and there is no such thing as bad publicity.

Tell that to Rolf Harris.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,926 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Possibly. But I think if people have a valid complaint against it then they should be allowed draw attention to that.

Its not a valid complaint, its hysterics. The show is satirising diversity issues and a society being pulled kicking and screaming into the 21st Century. Not the best written I'll grant you but its no different to The Two Ronnies or Are You Being Served, about a million years ago. Anyone who protests against the portrayal of the tranny in The Centre needs to find themselves a real cause, as mentioned above.

If anyone might have valid claim to object it could be the Islamic Community, Jennifer Maguire as a woman called Grainne in full Burqa pretending to be a muslim to hide the outcome of dodgy plastic surgery. "Remove your veil and give us a look, go on, go on, go on." !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,209 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Its not a valid complaint, its hysterics. The show is satirising diversity issues and a society being pulled kicking and screaming into the 21st Century. Not the best written I'll grant you but its no different to The Two Ronnies or Are You Being Served, about a million years ago. Anyone who protests against the portrayal of the tranny in The Centre needs to find themselves a real cause, as mentioned above.

If anyone might have valid claim to object it could be the Islamic Community, Jennifer Maguire as a woman called Grainne in full Burqa pretending to be a muslim to hide the outcome of dodgy plastic surgery. "Remove your veil and give us a look, go on, go on, go on." !

Some might find the use of the word "tranny" offensive.

Im absolutely shocked people are so turned off by this. Look at the comedy channels Mike and Molly, Anger Management, 2 and a half men, now they are promising a thing where a couple have 2 friends that hate each other(woopdefricking doo).
    Its miles better than any of that. Its not a super classic but its very watchable with quite a few bits that make you laugh.
    Theres alot of worse stuff out there.

That is very very true.

Those muppets should be protesting about more important issues like the IMF raping and pilaging the country . You know what the IMF stands for? . I'm ****ed.

Very seldom do Irish people tend to protest about real issues. Granted, the protests over The Centre give that programme more fame than it deserves. But, it is all part of a lot of silly (or at least exaggerated) protests in Ireland. Shell to Sea, the anti-Pylon movement, etc.

A protest about protection of corruption would not gain any support compared to a protest about any of these issues. .....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

It's just incredibly unfunny.

Killinaskully I loved admittedly! True, by series 5, it was played out but the first 3 series and most of series 4 was good and even some of series 5. It was good because it reminded me exactly of locals you'd know and it is a tribute to what Irish pubs used to be! Unfortunately, some of the episodes predicted the demise of rural Ireland exactly as it is happening and there was this darker undercurrent to it.

Killinaskully imo was far better than Mrs Brown, The Centre, and other such comedies. There are worse programmes on though than Mrs Brown or The Centre at present too. But, each to their own.

Well these locals that you know must of have a very low IQ, and you trying to portray this show as having some depth , is completely disingenuos . So it's case of I just don't get it, or maybe the most plausible explanation is that there is nothing to get.

It almosts sounds to me that you are tyrying to imply that Killnaskully was on some level high brow humour, that it was subtle and had real life characters and not some lazy rural sterotypes who had as much characeter depth as Ren and Stimpy, which would be a lot closer to the truth

The reality is to neutral observers, it was a stupid programme made by a talentless muppet in Patt Shortt, and by a large it appealed to a really backward and stupid demographic of Irish people .

Just so you know , I am not including you amongst the dunces, you seem to be a resonable intelligent person.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭NormanNicetouch

There's a protest outside RTE at 7.30pm about the depiction of the pre-op transsexual character in this show apparently

I actually found this far funnier than the actual show. Would have been bloody hilarious if the Muslims and travellers had shown up at the same time.

• Advertisement

Katherine Lynch has just announced on twitter that she is moving to LA . For those of you who think it should be a cause for celebration, think again, because she says she has role in two hollywood movies .

It looks like we could soon be seeing Bernie Walsh on the big screen. :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

Is it an aprils fool joke that she is moving to la or is it an april fools joke that you boost her twitter follower figures while complaining about her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

It almosts sounds to me that you are tyrying to imply that Killnaskully was on some level high brow humour, that it was subtle and had real life characters and not some lazy rural sterotypes who had as much characeter depth as Ren and Stimpy, which would be a lot closer to the truth

The reality is to neutral observers, it was a stupid programme made by a talentless muppet in Patt Shortt, and by a large it appealed to a really backward and stupid demographic of Irish people .

In fairness, though, Pat Shortt has made far worse comedies than Killinaskully.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

There is an irony in Celtic Tigers name.

Though I agree the issue of trans-gendered rights like so many things at the moment is jump on the nearest band wagon. Surely all types drag acts are transphobic???? A man dress up as a woman doing stereotypical female things, like Mrs. Brown traditional Irish mammy act, Panti Blisses angry woman act and the proud strong woman country of Pat Shortt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Lukehandypants

Katherine Lynch has just announced on twitter that she is moving to LA . For those of you who think it should be a cause for celebration, think again, because she says she has role in two hollywood movies .

God I hope this is true.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Its not a valid complaint, its hysterics. The show is satirising diversity issues and a society being pulled kicking and screaming into the 21st Century.

Is it? I haven't watched it. Does it succeed in its attempt at satire?

*Checks date*
    Breathes sigh of relief.

Is it an aprils fool joke that she is moving to la or is it an april fools joke that you boost her twitter follower figures while complaining about her?

Its no aprils fool Joke . She has said before that she has been received very well over there . They call her the Irish Bette Midler.

Its no aprils fool Joke . She has said before that she has been received very well over there . They call her the Irish Bette Midler.

Oh dear. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Me hole.
    Hollywood in Co. Wicklow maybe.

• Advertisement

Hard to tell if this is AF joke or not? But nothing would surprise me, afterall Brendan O'Carroll's Mrs Brown has succeeded in places it would not be typically associated with. Katherine Lynch's similar humour may well be next. Anything is possible.

Advertisement