Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Centre RTE March 24th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭celtic tiger 2011

RichyX wrote: »
    Jesus Christ, who let you near a computer.

The show is absolutely woeful though. Thinly written, stock characters and lame, lame, lame jokes.
    I nearly stopped watching several times from cringing at the awfulness of it.

Whats your problem with my post you inner city dublin skanger? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

The Centre does seem to have received a very negative and vitriolic response from here and the main stream media. Having said that, they are still a lot of people on twitter who loved it . The fact of the matter, regardless of any perceived lack of quality from certain viewers, if it generates sufficient revenue for RTE to keep on air , do those who think it's offensive and ridiculing of perceieved soft targets such as transexuals, have the right to demand it be taken of air . I for one don't think they do . As Paul Weller said " And the public gets what the public wants"
    RTE keeps many shows that don't make a profit on air. That's the problem. They have no quality control or anyone doing cost–benefit analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

humanji wrote: »
    RTE keeps many shows that don't make a profit on air. That's the problem. They have no quality control or anyone doing cost–benefit analysis.
    Did I hear yesterday that they actually had a small surplus last year? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭AlanG

While I don’t think much of this show it’s worth remembering that the reason Mrs Browns Boys is such a big hit is because producers and online shouters were totally focused on high brow humor whereas many people watch TV for escapism and easy laughs. Perhaps "Boardies” are just not the target audience for this type of show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

If it was an insult to the intelligence of the Irish people, then how come a lot of the Irish people on twitter thought it was hilarious . To be honest I think you really overestimate the intelligence.and sophistication of the Irish people.
    The Centre does seem to have received a very negative and vitriolic response from here and the main stream media. Having said that, they are still a lot of people on twitter who loved it .

Many Twitter users are not intelligent.

Just so you know.

:o:o:o:o:):););)

• Advertisement

The fact of the matter, regardless of any perceived lack of quality from certain viewers, if it generates sufficient revenue for RTE to keep on air , do those who think it's offensive and ridiculing of perceieved soft targets such as transexuals, have the right to demand it be taken of air . I for one don't think they do .

Hate to say this, but you might be in the minority there... :o:o:)

Duggie2012 wrote: »
    the trailer looks awful, might give it a look but i wouldn't hold out any hopes for this one.

Just so you know.

Well that's about 90% of the Irish population then. I wonder if there is a strong correlation between people who find shows like The Centre funny and low IQ'S.
    Honestly, we have to one of the thickest nations on Earth, right up there with American and Britain . The Europeans, Russians and Asians are so much smarter . They can speak three or four languages fluently, can do Maths at a much higher level , are more worldly etc.

I mean we can't even speak our native tongue despite the fact that we spend at at least fifteen least years of our life learning it . Something just isn't right with Paddy.

I disagree there. If a show isn't getting the ratings which means low advertising revenue, they will take it off air. Shows like Mrs Browns Boys, Wagons Den, Winning Streak get high audience figures regardless of their perceived lack quality among a certain demographic.

Of course in loads of other areas i am sure they waste money , because they are't a private business, but they can afford to, as they are funded by the tax paper and advertising revenue.

Hate to say this, but you might be in the minority there... :o:o:)

You musn't believe in democracy then , because in a democracy the majority rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I disagree there. If a show isn't getting the ratings which means low advertising revenue, they will take it off air. Shows like Mrs Browns Boys, Wagons Den, Winning Streak get high audience figures regardless of their perceived lack quality among a certain demographic.

Of course in loads of other areas i am sure they waste money , because they are't a private business, but they can afford to, as they are funded by the tax paper and advertising revenue.
    Well they kept giving Craig Doyle a chat show over and over, despite abysmal ratings. Then there's the whole fiasco of throwing money at a select few presenters despite them running their shows into the ground. It's a company that refused to move with the times and turf out the old guard.

• Advertisement

Well they kept giving Craig Doyle a chat show over and over, despite abysmal ratings. Then there's the whole fiasco of throwing money at a select few presenters despite them running their shows into the ground. It's a company that refused to move with the times and turf out the old guard.

Yeah but they took Doyle off air, once they realised that his rating weren't going to improve. There might be some shows that are sacred and they won't axe, no matter how much money they are loosing , but they have to keep out of the red as they are a going concern, advertising revenue and the tv licence fee will only go so far.

Just so you know.

Here's an interesting question. Do you think Katherine Lynch is any more intelligent than her targeted audience?.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Yeah but they took Doyle off air, once they realised that his rating weren't going to improve. There might be some shows that are sacred and they won't axe, no matter how much money they are loosing , but they have to keep out of the red as they are a going concern, advertising revenue and the tv licence fee will only go so far.

They tried desperately to give him a show, every week he had a new one.

I haven't watched the show, it looks ****e. BTW largely a female case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Elmo wrote: »
    I haven't watched the show, it looks ****e. BTW largely a female case.

The largely female cast isn't the reason it's sh*te. The writing is the reason it's sh*te.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    The largely female cast isn't the reason it's sh*te. The writing is the reason it's sh*te.

No I wasn't suggesting that, but I have noticed how many female commentators are always disappoint by the lack of women on the TV, so The Centre must be a plus

No I wasn't suggesting that, but I have noticed how many female commentators are always disappoint by the lack of women on the TV, so The Centre must be a plus

Ah right. I picked you up wrong.

Large female cast = Good.
    however
    Large female cast in sh*te sitcom = Bad.

Ah right. I picked you up wrong.

Large female cast = Good.
    however
    Large female cast in sh*te sitcom = Bad.

So the whole women on air initiative fails because of The Centre or should they welcome a sit-com with a large female cast?

I mean we can't even speak our native tongue despite the fact that we spend at at least fifteen least years of our life learning it .

Because a lot of people don't like learning it, or don't see why they need to learn it, or both. Ceart go leor?

You musn't believe in democracy then , because in a democracy the majority rule.

What I meant was that you might be in the minority in not thinking that people who find The Centre offensive have a right to demand its removal from the air.

It may well be that the majority do think that such people have this right, or pay no attention as to whether or not they have it.

But democracy hardly exists at Montrose. Why else is Ryan Tubridy's salary so big? :rolleyes: ;)

Here's an interesting question. Do you think Katherine Lynch is any more intelligent than her targeted audience?.

I really couldn't give you a direct answer to that question, unfortunately. :o

What I will say is that I'm sure she's not an airhead like most of this country's so-called "models", but I'm also sure she's not the brightest spark.

Her IQ is probably the same as that woman in nice knickers... ;);)

So the whole women on air initiative fails because of The Centre or should they welcome a sit-com with a large female cast?

Not al all.

The fact that it's a large female cast is good, yes. But that doesn't make the sitcom good.

It's the quality of the program that things should be judged on, not the gender of the majority of the cast.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

What is a centre anyway? Do these things exist in scummy estates? Is this some Government scheme? Are they only in Dublin?

• Advertisement

fiachr_a wrote: »
    What is a centre anyway? Do these things exist in scummy estates? Is this some Government scheme? Are they only in Dublin?

Yes they do exist. I don't know which centre it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭sok2005

fiachr_a wrote: »

Seriously, you've never heard of a community centre?

Is anybody here going to watch The Centre tonight?.

I think heading down to an actual centre might be more enjoyable. But then there is the backlash on boards.

I think heading down to an actual centre might be more enjoyable. But then there is the backlash on boards.

Does anybody know what sort of viewer figures it got?.

No. :P

There's a protest outside RTE at 7.30pm about the depiction of the pre-op transsexual character in this show apparently:

http://eile.ie/2014/03/31/transgender-community-unhappy-with-rte-sitcom-character/

There's a protest outside RTE at 7.30pm about the depiction of the pre-op transsexual character in this show apparently:

http://eile.ie/2014/03/31/transgender-community-unhappy-with-rte-sitcom-character/

Interesting to see how the BAI react after all they gave money towards the show.

However it is nothing to protest about, other than it is a bad comedy. That I might agree with.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 133 ✭✭Sir Chops

I'd rather have all my skin peeled off and roll about in a pool of salt

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

I cant flocking wait for it. Im so excited its a bit sad really. Feckin protesters.

Advertisement