Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best SIM Only deals [Updated regularly][Work in progess]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭munkee

I phoned Three today to cancel, and they gave me two months free, which will see me through to August. I'll cancel then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

I just changed to meteor, didnt bother ringing as the main reason I want to change is to get a decent signal in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭CVB

Website live yet ? Web address ? Please

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

Anyone with Lycamobile?.....They're doing an unlimited bundle for €25 at the moment.

http://www.lycamobile.ie/en/bundle?id=1

SmallBalls wrote: »
    Anyone with Lycamobile?.....They're doing an unlimited bundle for €25 at the moment.

Hmm not bad value not sure whose network they run on... id be slow to use another MVNO though.. tesco mobile was a bit ****e with their funny roaming settings and they blocked tethering on my wifes iphone etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭bugfreebob

fionny wrote: »
    Hmm not bad value not sure whose network they run on... id be slow to use another MVNO though.. tesco mobile was a bit ****e with their funny roaming settings and they blocked tethering on my wifes iphone etc...

They throttle you back to 2G speeds after you reach 1GByte. Technically it might be unlimited, but you can't do much at 2G speeds. And it's on the old O2 network, so no 4G either, and you would also enjoy all the problems that former O2 customers and the other MVNO's are having.

There is a complaint with the ASAI about Lyca because there is no information on their website about the throttling, and they don't tell customers about it. They did exactly the same in the UK, but the UK Advertising Authority forced Lyca to come clean and they now have to advertise the cap. The UK authority has teeth - unlike ASAI here. The ASAI complaint is still open - but there doesn't seem to be any attempt by Lyca to defend it, so I think you can safely assume they are guilty.

To be honest Tesco Mobiles 25euro deal is similar... they weren't bad just not great either which is why ill go back to meteor and take the hit on data for their better network.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

The Best Sim Only Deals Spreadsheet is no more.
    MoolaMonkey has been born.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=95428977

That link is dead, im assuming it got deleted by a mod or something?

EDIT: found it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

SmallBalls wrote: »

I've been with Lycamobile for the last two years. I am very impressed with them. Their customer service is excellent, the couple of problems that I have had were sorted out in minutes and their staff were never stumped by any question I asked them. To be honest when I signed up I wasn't expecting much but so far their service has been the best I have had and I've had a mobile since the early nineties.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

I'm with 48 (Guido €10/month) and am pretty happy with it so far, but I have a ****load of accumulated Tesco clubcard vouchers and I'm half thinking of switching to Tesco just to use them up. Am I right in thinking I can get unlimited calls & texts (all networks) & 1GB data for €5/month by doing this?

1. Use €5 Clubcard credit to buy €15 top-up
    2. Topping up by €15 gives me unlimited calls and I keep the €15 credit to buy add-ons.
    3. Use €10 to buy unlimited texts and the other €5 to buy 1GB data
    4. Spend the €5 I just saved on hookers and cocaine. (Not really)

Does anyone do this? Does it work smoothly/isn't too much hassle each month? (Having the Guido on autorenew is very handy, I have to admit)

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭bugfreebob

peckerhead wrote: »
    1. Use €5 Clubcard credit to buy €15 top-up
    2. Topping up by €15 gives me unlimited calls and I keep the €15 credit to buy add-ons.
    3. Use €10 to buy unlimited texts and the other €5 to buy 1GB data
    4. Spend the €5 I just saved on hookers and cocaine. (Not really)

Shop in LIDL or ALDI and you will save more in a month vs Tesco than you would in a year penny pinching on your mobile contract on dodgy networks.

I couldnt survive on 1GB per month at home in Ireland, no 4G or tolerate €250 pr GB when roaming.

...donate those surplus Tesco vouchers to a drug addiction charity like Merchants Quay.

I'll take that as an opinion rather than an answer to the question. Unlike you, I can imagine living with 1GB/month, and doing without 4G. I'm in a wi-fi zone approximately 23 hours a day.

And believe me, I watch where I shop.

I have to foot the bill for seven mobile phones (mine, wife's, 5 kids'), so reducing that from €70 to €35/month saves me €35 x 12 = €420pa. That's the price of my car insurance, for the sake of ordering a few SIM cards and filling in an online form.

Hardly penny-pinching?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    I've been with Lycamobile for the last two years. I am very impressed with them. Their customer service is excellent, the couple of problems that I have had were sorted out in minutes and their staff were never stumped by any question I asked them. To be honest when I signed up I wasn't expecting much but so far their service has been the best I have had and I've had a mobile since the early nineties.

peckerhead wrote: »
    [I'm with[ 48 (Guido €10/month)[...]

Guys, do you care to share your opinion on the network on the dedicated website? Nobody has shared their experience about the two networks mentioned, and I can see that they are receiving a lot of traffic. Obviously they are popular, but without reviews and ratings from users. If you've got two minutes, feedback is welcomed.

48: http://www.moolamonkey.com/48-months/

Lycamobile: http://www.moolamonkey.com/lycamobile/

Done.

FYI I was unhappy with the data on meteor, (burned through the gig without even thinking about it) so I got put onto their customer retention dept... got offered the 35euro deal for 20% off, catch being I needed to sign up for 6 months... but thats fine by me, so comes to 28euro for Unlimted Calls and Texts + 15gig data for 28euro a month.

For a network that is the best one ive been on I think its a good deal (only network ive not used is Vodafone who are just plain too expensive)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

48 have changed their €20 plan

3000 mins per month down to 1000

5gb data upped to 8gb

Unlimited messaging on Whatsapp (never use it so not sure if that's new)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

NATLOR wrote: »
    48 have changed their €20 plan

3000 mins per month down to 1000

5gb data upped to 8gb

Unlimited messaging on Whatsapp (never use it so not sure if that's new)

whatsapp is data based, so don't know how its technically "unlimited"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Checked the website, it says once you have a data included plan you are not charged for using messaging on whatsapp

• Advertisement

I wouldnt touch 48 with a barge poll so many hoops to jump through, rubbish roaming agreements and you cant send texts to 5 digit text line numbers even if they are not premium like the Matt Cooper show on todayfm.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

fionny wrote: »
    I wouldnt touch 48 with a barge poll so many hoops to jump through, rubbish roaming agreements and you cant send texts to 5 digit text line numbers even if they are not premium like the Matt Cooper show on todayfm.

I'm leaving 48 when my month is up. Unfortunately I was caught at a loose end and unprepared this month.
    I have until the 16th of August.

Serious question, is 48 run by students? Just curious as the way a few issues went left me convinced it may be.

Anyway, what is the best SIM only deal at the moment, PAYG?
    Is it Tesco, I don't anything about Lyca Mobile, are they any good?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Joo0

Allyall wrote: »
    I'm leaving 48 when my month is up. Unfortunately I was caught at a loose end and unprepared this month.
    I have until the 16th of August.

Serious question, is 48 run by students? Just curious as the way a few issues went left me convinced it may be.

Anyway, what is the best SIM only deal at the moment, PAYG?
    Is it Tesco, I don't anything about Lyca Mobile, are they any good?

Thanks.

Some of the reps work from home so are most likely students. HQ is 02/Three offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Wouldn't bother with Lyca tbh.

Tesco have a good €15 deal - unlimited mobiles & landlines with texts and 1GB data. €20 gets you the deal with 5gb data.

Techmaster wrote: »
    Wouldn't bother with Lyca tbh.

Tesco have a good €15 deal - unlimited mobiles & landlines with texts and 1GB data. €20 gets you the deal with 5gb data.

Id got with the meteor version of the same (they just changed their sim only deals)

15euro gets you 1 gig data, 100 min, Ulimited texts and free texts and calls to meteor...

Meteor are FAR superior to Tesco Mobile in my opinion and worth the lesser minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭thegeezer

Virgin Media (formerly UPC) for current UPC customers offering €25 pm, unlimited calls, text, data with three months free. I was told originally that the catch is you have to sign up another 12 months with your UPC contract but cannot see this in the small print. I have contacted them to clarify - anyone know for sure ?

https://www.virginmedia.ie/mobile/offerdetails/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

thegeezer wrote: »
    Virgin Media (formerly UPC) for current UPC customers offering €25 pm, unlimited calls, text, data with three months free. I was told originally that the catch is you have to sign up another 12 months with your UPC contract but cannot see this in the small print. I have contacted them to clarify - anyone know for sure ?

https://www.virginmedia.ie/mobile/offerdetails/

Written under the two mobile offers.

https://www.virginmedia.ie/mobile/
    Want to know what you'll pay for calls, texts and data NOT included in your plan? Check out our charges. Also, fair is fair. A fair usage policy applies.
    Customer price plans and offer available to Virgin Media broadband or TV customers are subject to a new 12 month contract on your broadband, TV and home phone services (as applicable). A 30 day rolling contract on mobile applies.

Yep - there's the catch (thanks for pointing that out Frosty). Seems bizarre that they allow you to go onto a 30 day SIM only, but tie you in to another 12 month's massively overpriced UPC media offering !!

Customer price plans and offer available to Virgin Media broadband or TV customers are subject to a new 12 month contract on your broadband, TV and home phone services (as applicable). A 30 day rolling contract on mobile applies.

So, looking at how things are, the Meteor Super Deluxe 4G seems about the best for unlimited right now ? Six months down the line who knows ?

https://store.meteor.ie/sim-only-plans?linkid=HPTile1_21092015_SIMO

Anyone have this and can advise what is good/bad - I have never been with Meteor before ?

Cheers

thegeezer wrote: »
    Yep - there's the catch (thanks for pointing that out Frosty). Seems bizarre that they allow you to go onto a 30 day SIM only, but tie you in to another 12 month's massively overpriced UPC media offering !!

So, looking at how things are, the Meteor Super Deluxe 4G seems about the best for unlimited right now ? Six months down the line who knows ?

https://store.meteor.ie/sim-only-plans?linkid=HPTile1_21092015_SIMO

Anyone have this and can advise what is good/bad - I have never been with Meteor before ?

Cheers

In general I think meteor is the best network in Ireland... the service is consistent their prices are fair enough and the staff are based in Ireland.

• Advertisement

One thing I am not clear about which will make a huge difference in which to go with.
    Vodafone - unlimited calls and texts with 1GB data @30 pm - these calls are to ANY network and either land line or mobile.
    Meteor - unlimited calls and texts with 10GB data @24 pm - are these calls ONLY to Meteor or to any network/land line/mobile ?

Also, what is the disadvantage of going with three ??

Advertisement