Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best SIM Only deals [Updated regularly][Work in progess]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Basically, you can only get 4G if you're an Eircom customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

And that eMobile [non eircom] package has had a silent price increase to €35.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

RangeR wrote: »
    And that eMobile [non eircom] package has had a silent price increase to €35.

Good point ... I was thinking of moving to this one but not so much anymore with the price increase (Even though it's not the exact same offer - 15gb instead of 5).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭ryan101

Hi, the wife is moving from 02 bill pay to sim only, she needs about 100 mins per month and 100 texts per month max.
    She also needs data, I've no idea how much, but only for checking Viber, Facebook etc., very little video if ever.
    She owns a Galaxy S2 phone
    Any recommendations as to a good sim only plan for her ? Is the Tesco 12 month sim only a good one ?
    She was hoping to get something to suit her for about € 10 / month
    Also how does she get her phone unlocked to use another sim ?

Thanks

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

ryan101 wrote: »
    Hi, the wife is moving from 02 bill pay to sim only, she needs about 100 mins per month and 100 texts per month max.
    She also needs data, I've no idea how much, but only for checking Viber, Facebook etc., very little video if ever.
    She owns a Galaxy S2 phone
    Any recommendations as to a good sim only plan for her ? Is the Tesco 12 month sim only a good one ?
    She was hoping to get something to suit her for about € 10 / month
    Also how does she get her phone unlocked to use another sim ?

Thanks

48's €10 per month plan should suit her. 300 mobile minutes, 60 landline minutes, unlimited texts and 1GB of data. No contract either so if something better comes along she can switch.

• Advertisement

Bob24 wrote: »
    Good point ... I was thinking of moving to this one but not so much anymore with the price increase (Even though it's not the exact same offer - 15gb instead of 5).

eMobile have two plans. The 15GB [€35] is for non eircom customers. The 5GB [€24] is for eircom customers only. Their website is a mess and doesn't make it easy to find or differentiate products.

eMobile have two plans. The 15GB [€35] is for non eircom customers. The 5GB [€24] is for eircom customers only. Their website is a mess and doesn't make it easy to find or differentiate products.

I might have gotten that wrong, but I am pretty sure their website used to have a 30 days contract for non Eircom customers for 24 euros per month (5GB).

I might have gotten that wrong, but I am pretty sure their website used to have a 30 days contract for non Eircom customers for 24 euros per month (5GB).

Nah, it's always been [for at least a year or two - my memory recall for this issue] eircom customers only for €24. Fully admit, many times on this thread, their website is woefully difficult to understand and, believe it or not, used to be much worse.

Nah, it's always been [for at least a year or two - my memory recall for this issue] eircom customers only for €24. Fully admit, many times on this thread, their website is woefully difficult to understand and, believe it or not, used to be much worse.

Ok, cheers for the clarification, I probably got confused by the website then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭daveohdave

I'm just about to switch to 48 as eMobile is costing me a fortune, but I'll be travelling to the UK in July and I'll need all roaming options available then. Is there something I can buy for just one month, or even PAYG?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

daveohdave wrote: »
    I'm just about to switch to 48 as eMobile is costing me a fortune, but I'll be travelling to the UK in July and I'll need all roaming options available then. Is there something I can buy for just one month, or even PAYG?

a uk payg sim is a better bet surely

That means two phones though. EDIT: In fact it doesn't, because AFAICR 48 doesn't support roaming at all. Like I said, I need to roam on all services. With a UK SIM, all that will be of any use to me is data. Forwarding calls would likely be too expensive, and texts can't be forwarded without an app. (Which is logistically possible as I have a spare mobile, but not ideal.)

That means two phones though. EDIT: In fact it doesn't, because AFAICR 48 doesn't support roaming at all. Like I said, I need to roam on all services. With a UK SIM, all that will be of any use to me is data. Forwarding calls would likely be too expensive, and texts can't be forwarded without an app. (Which is logistically possible as I have a spare mobile, but not ideal.)

Three like home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

48 does support roaming its just heavily limited on where:

http://community.48months.ie/t5/Most-Popular-Questions/Going-away-Using-48-abroad/td-p/46#roaming

UK is one of the places you can Roam.

Thanks. No data though. I have a spare dual-SIMs handset so I guess I could get a UK one for data while I'm over there.

Any other options?

Three like home.

Sorry, didn't see this. Can you do this on a rolling contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Meteors 30day has a good roaming deal too...

Left Meteor for eMobile, wouldn't go back in a hurry.

Left Meteor for eMobile, wouldn't go back in a hurry.

They
    Are
    The
    Same
    Company

They
    Are
    The
    Same
    Company

No. They're. Not. They have the same parent company, but different staff, markets and products. If you're going to be condescending, at least try to be accurate.

• Advertisement

18/06/2014
    Update

Added Blueface Summer Special offer - ends July 31st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

18/06/2014
    Update

Added Blueface Summer Special offer - ends July 31st.

I found them a disaster. Couldn't get data on my phone and they couldn't help.
    Can't use premium numbers and they can't credit you for unused credit or part of month if you port from them.
    Need to contact comreg on this.
    Moved back to emobile today and have 4g for 24€ pm.

May I ask where you are located and what kind of data speeds you are getting with eMobile?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

May I ask where ou are located what kink of data speeds you are getting with eMobile?

I'm in dublin 7. Getting 15 Mbps download and 4 upload

I'm in dublin 7. Getting 15 Mbps download and 4 upload

Cheers.

I found them a disaster. Couldn't get data on my phone and they couldn't help.
    Can't use premium numbers and they can't credit you for unused credit or part of month if you port from them.
    Need to contact comreg on this.
    Thanks for sharing your experience.

I welcome all feedback from mobile operators and products, however I will list the offer regardless as part of my continual effort to list and provide an up-to-date chart of what services are available on SIM Only plans.

Please do keep me in the loop via this thread, or via private message, about the outcome of your experience bringing the issue to ComReg.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,753 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Tesco mobile unlimited now €25 per month down from €30. Not sure if this includes voicemail as someone in Tesco told me that's charged extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 GrewUS

Vodafone now offer 4G as part of Prepay RED.

GrewUS wrote: »
    Vodafone now offer 4G as part of Prepay RED.

On one hand it's nice to see 4g coming to prepay, but on the other hand they haven't increase their data bundles - which were already ridiculously small and expensive for 3G usage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,753 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Tesco mobile unlimited now €25 per month down from €30. Not sure if this includes voicemail as someone in Tesco told me that's charged extra.

I've moved to the €25 plan. Excellent sim only deal giving me exactly what I had with the Eircom €35 deal.

Voicemail confirmed as free it comes out of your unlimited minutes.

Advertisement