Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booze deals [Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Italix

Caranica wrote: »
    Ciroc is made from grapes, don't know how they get away with proclaiming to be vodka

Just curious about what you think vodka should be made with?
    I honestly didn't think it mattered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Colking

Italix wrote: »
    Just curious about what you think vodka should be made with?
    I honestly didn't think it mattered.

Potatoes are often used

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Ah here take it elsewhere no? This is bargain alerts booze deals not what is vodka made of

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭donnyvegas

Colking wrote: »
    Potatoes are often used

Dunnes have a kilo of roosters for 49 cent.

Roughly 4 kilo of potato makes a 700ml bottle of vodka.

€2 a bottle.

Bargain!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Colking wrote: »
    Potatoes are often used

For cheap crap, good vodka is made with grain just like beer. It can only be brewed to about 17% then it is heated up to condense it (that's distilling BTW)

It's much the same with whiskey, Gin is basically Whiskey, whiskey is aged in barrels so takes time (3 years and 1 day minimum for Irish whiskey). Gin can be made in a matter of weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

For cheap crap, good vodka is made with grain just like beer. It can only be brewed to about 17% then it is heated up to condense it (that's distilling BTW)

It's much the same with whiskey, Gin is basically Whiskey, whiskey is aged in barrels so takes time (3 years and 1 day minimum for Irish whiskey). Gin can be made in a matter of weeks

NEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRDDDDDDD. Cough.

Nerd.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

If you have money off vouchers from Tesco, the 25% off wine sale works out
    very nice indeed.
    I have a €16 off a €90 to spend for this week so buying 12 Faustino V
    would work out at €6.16 a bottle, Faustino 1 would be €12.33 a bottle
    buying 6.
    Now that's a bargain!

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭thunderbolt

Skelp wrote: »
    Anyone know the story with Amazon. Seems to be very quiet on the booze front....usually has some cracking deals.

Where do you get it delivered? I've used Parcel Motel before but one of my shipments was "lost in transit" despite having been checked into the warehouse and not been sent out for delivery!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,835 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Gin is made from vodka not whiskey.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Beer & Wine & Spirits forum is here. Use that to debate the different makeup of spirits.

This is bargain alerts - Where can I get it, and how cheap is it..... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Holy Diver wrote: »
    It’s hard to beat Tesco 25% off to be fair. Particularly when combined with sale prices. Also applies to port.

Once you have a little knowledge you can get great value.

But be careful of unknown names - mostly created for Tesco to hike "rrp". Example is Domaine Arnaud - utter muck.

Another trick is "winemakers reserve" and similar. Again cheap plonk worth no more than €6 yet advertised "half price" at €9.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭dedaw

Darc19 wrote: »
    Once you have a little knowledge you can get great value.

But be careful of unknown names - mostly created for Tesco to hike "rrp". Example is Domaine Arnaud - utter muck.

Another trick is "winemakers reserve" and similar. Again cheap plonk worth no more than €6 yet advertised "half price" at €9.

Recommendations? Especially red.
    Cheers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,919 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

dedaw wrote: »
    Recommendations? Especially red.
    Cheers!!

In Tesco, now there are probably better bottles out there but I find these are decent \ reliable enough if priced at €10 or under:
    - McGuigan Signature range from Australia.
    - Dona Paula range from Argentina (also in Dunnes)
    - Turner Road Merlot from Australia

These are pricier but a step up in quality and available in most supermarkets between €10 - €15:
    - Wyndham Bin 555 Shiraz
    - Cune Rioja Grand Reserva

ps If you want to followup on particular suggestions maybe start new thread as I don't want to de-rail this one

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Bulmers light, €15 for 20 bottles in Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Buffman

Guinness & Carlsberg 24 can slab €20 in Aldi. They've been at that price for a few weeks now, not going up and down like yo-yos like some of the other stores.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Buffman wrote: »
    not going up and down like yo-yos like some of the other stores.
    :pac: tesco back down to €20 for guinness online! no dates given

• Registered Users Posts: 7,835 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Lidl had Guinness and Heiniken slabs for 20 euro yesterday.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Invincible

Paddy 70cl
    2 for €30
    Thursday & Friday only
    Supervalu

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Frank_1969

Invincible wrote: »
    Paddy 70cl
    2 for €30
    Thursday & Friday only
    Supervalu

This without using vouchers works out at €21.42 per litre.. Dunnes 2x1 litres for €40 with the money off vouchers is a better deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pjq

pjq wrote: »
    Promotions
    25% Back on all Wine, Champagne & Prosecco in Valueclub points when you purchase 6 bottles or more
    This promotion is valid in Dunnes Stores in Republic of Ireland from Tuesday 03th December 2019.

I see that this deal has changed, the above quote was from their web site "Value Card Promotions"
    Today I got 25% deducted from the 1st 6 bottles presented at till. Anybody know the new T&Cs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,256 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Not a bad price if you only want a small bottle

In Tesco Arklow marked as clearance
    497424.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,825 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

want a few bottles of wine, do dunnes allow you to use the 10 off 50 spend for wine?

is there anyway to get the vouchers without actually shopping there. they used to send them in the post, but i got none in a recent mailing

• Registered Users Posts: 15,825 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Holy Diver wrote: »
    SuperValu

€10 off any 6 wines. Combine that with the fact that Faustino V is on sale at €10 at the moment and that’s 6 v gd bottles of red for €50

Baileys €12

can i used the voucher they sent me in the post with that? 8 off a 40 spend.

42 for 6 bottles of faustino be good.

on a slight side note, need a big pot of mulled wine, would faustino be a decent option?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Hoping to make a few baby Guinnesses over Christmas, what's the best current offer on Baileys and/or coffee liqueur?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,121 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Not sure what it is now but I stocked up about 2 weeks ago when it was €10 a bottle. I'm sure one of the stores will drop it again to that price before Christmas. Weekend offers are usually listed on Thursdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Invincible

Seve OB wrote: »
    want a few bottles of wine, do dunnes allow you to use the 10 off 50 spend for wine?

is there anyway to get the vouchers without actually shopping there. they used to send them in the post, but i got none in a recent mailing

Borrow off your neighbor/friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Hoping to make a few baby Guinnesses over Christmas, what's the best current offer on Baileys and/or coffee liqueur?

baileys is 12 in supervalu, but will very likely drop to a tenner in tesco soon. I think it was a tenner elsewhere recently and might still be.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,121 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Baileys was up @ €18 in Dunnes Stores last weekend from €10 the week before anyway. It was €13 in Tesco last weekend and that's the price still showing on their website on Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Motherof123

Was in dunnes today grocery shopping and everyone had 6 - 12 wine bottles!
    Must be a promotion?
    One man had just wine 12 bottles. Woman behind us had 6.
    All stocking up for Christmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Ludikrus

24 bottles of Hop House for €20 in Tesco.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement