Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DLR Bay 10k : Monday Aug 4th (Dún Laoghaire)

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Did this in it's first year and returned today. For an easy 'jog' :D

If I'd been chasing a time today, the only thing that would have annoyed me would have been the large amount of people with 'white' numbers who were clearly, never in a million years sub 35 runners :) Water station at the start, particularly on a day like today was genius and provided a second water station to runners particularly further back who may have needed it on a warm day.

Everything was so easy today, parking, number pick up, plenty of toilets (none with queues when I passed) a nice route (tough though, even going easier it was a hard slog), good atmosphere.

It's easy to see why this race has grown year on year.

Great support en route too with a few houses out giving water to participants.

Road closures worked well and were obeyed by motorists. Think this is the first road race I've done in Ireland in the last 18 months where I didn't see any motorist breaking through a garda marshalled road closure. So full respect to the organisers who planned this so well and the local residents who got out to support on a sunny bank holiday Monday.

I still maintain and this route is almost entirely uphill

If we still did polls on races, this one would get 5 stars from me. If they flatten out the hills I'd give 6. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭whelzer

Great race altogether, route was hilly enough but quite enjoyable imho, lots of people out clapping and cheering on which was nice!

The race series people need to be given the DLR 10K T-shirt supplier details, cos the difference in quality is massive - ie there is no comparison...

Everything was spot on from water at the beginning, toilets, post race refreshments, etc.. Defo be back next year where I will beat todays time..

First time I seen this in a race.... I was about half way in blue section there was a lady (mid 50s I reckon) just up ahead of me, who looked like she had just come from mass....eg normal flowery blouse, long flowing skirt and normal shoes, she was booting it along for at least the first few K, pretty sure she had a race number, fair play I thought, put me in my fancy runners, top, shorts, gps watch etc to shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Thanks all, below is a cut and paste from the facebook page. (I'll be legging it for a short while, but as always I'll be back to review any feedback here and FB / Twitter and pass on as suggestions for next year.)

Wow wee, what a day, thanks so much for all the positive messages and a super duper thanks to all the stewards and supporters out on the course. We had almost 1400 finishers in glorious sunshine. All participants should now have received a text with your race result, if not or it looks incorrect you can contact Precision Timing via their website. Full results will appear in tomorrow's Daily Star and post that Online on both the precision and race websites. Any other queries please contact info@dlrbay10k.ie and we will respond to you in due course from tomorrow.
    Check out the great pictures from Pixels Promotions on their facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pixels-Promotions/134057570021199

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

5 stars aswell from the donadea'rs that did it,..said Dey didn't even notice any hills and dat donore runners are pussys

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭skittles11

Big thumbs up to the organisers for the best organised race I've been to. Great atmosphere and support throughout the route. The finish area was perfect too, so spacious and chilled out, all in all it made a refreshing change.

Been putting in some miles in the hills this year and it paid off here! Forgot my GPS watch so just went out as hard as I could and tried to keep up the pace all the way. Delighted now, finished 44.04, 9 seconds shy of my PB, which was on a much flatter course (Fingal 10k)

• Advertisement

ultraman1 wrote: »
    5 stars aswell from the donadea'rs that did it,..said Dey didn't even notice any hills and dat donore runners are pussys

I wore a Donadea tee, brought shame on yee all. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fiona44

If I'd been chasing a time today, the only thing that would have annoyed me would have been the large amount of people with 'white' numbers who were clearly, never in a million years sub 35 runners :)

White race numbers were actually given to anyone who put sub 45 as their estimated time. I was at the back of the white section and would have been one of those who looked like they hadn't a hope of getting sub 35! 😉

Really well organised race today. I went out too fast and really struggled on the hills though so wasn't very happy with my time!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

ye95h.jpg

And course for ref

lh5ib.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Aquals

Brilliantly organised event! And the tshirt is definitely my favourite out of the 40+ race tshirts I own!

I found the course very tough though and really struggled with the heat. One of the hardest races I've done!

I'd do it next year but would probably jog it rather than push hard. By the time I got the worst of the hills done, there was nothing left in the legs/lungs to push on to the end!

Great morning out though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Well done to all involved in this race. My partner took part today, had a great time, and even enjoyed the challenge of the early hills :-) Great day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

Great race again this year.
    The only complaint was from my 3 year old who gave me back the medal saying she already had that one .

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Fiona44 wrote: »
    White race numbers were actually given to anyone who put sub 45 as their estimated time. I was at the back of the white section and would have been one of those who looked like they hadn't a hope of getting sub 35! 😉

Really well organised race today. I went out too fast and really struggled on the hills though so wasn't very happy with my time!

Ah, that answers my one complaint so. I clearly screwed up the entry process because I ended up with a blue number (I'd usually run <40 but not <35), and because I usually warm up until a few minutes before the start, and the corral access was pretty strict, I ended up wwwaaaayy at the back and had some serious dodging to do for the first couple of kms.

Fiona44 wrote: »

When I was signing up it was 35 and thats what they mentioned on the tannoy aswell - pretty sure it was opt out of sub 35 though so most wouldn't have bothered. I would have put sub 45 down myself - my pb is sub 43.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Options were sub 60 or sub 35 for me too. It wasn't that busy a field though, I went through first mile in just under 7 mins from toward front of blue pen and apart from passing about 30 or 40 people right at the start it was ok. Typically they were mostly people who pushed toward front and then stuck headphones one, one was carrying a two bottles of water and a large phone with headphones and using to to start timer also. When race started they hardly broke in to a jog!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Was definitely sub 35 or sub 60 when I signed up on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭overpronator

Big thanks and well done to all who organised or helped out on the day and throughout the weekend. This race really was seamless from start to finish, a perfect event and I'll be back for sure. The course is great too, tough but its there to be attacked in the second half!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭AlsoRan

I really enjoyed the race. The hills were tough, they seemed to go on for a long time, but the downhill made up for it and I was able to claw back some time, managing to get a PB. Great water stations and a lovely finish area as well with great facilities for runners and supporters alike. Bit gutted about the top, I liked the look of it, as I entrusted it to my husband and daughter who left it behind in the park, I'll know for next time! I'll be back next year.

My suggestion for new year is to get teddy's to set up at the finish area. I was too lazy to walk back down to teddy's :D

One thing I forgot to mention. Baggage area. Brilliant. Secure and fast when dropping off and picking up your bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Road closures worked well and were obeyed by motorists. Think this is the first road race I've done in Ireland in the last 18 months where I didn't see any motorist breaking through a garda marshalled road closure.

Apart from the crazy bitch who pulled out of her driveway in front of me about the 6k mark and motored up the road inches from us. Steward stopped her and she just said 'Oh, I'm only going up the road a bit and took off again.'

But, to be honest, it was funny more than anything. People along the route are brilliant. I especially love the kids who are looking forlornly for a high-five. I always veer over and wallop their hands.

This is the only race I ever do and I love it. I've done all them except last year when I broke my ankle. Delighted to be back this year and to get a PB despite it being the first running I've done since the injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

This race gets better every year. Thoroughly enjoyed the slight slopes and gorgeous weather, and got a course PB, which I'm delighted with considering I did 16 miles the day before!

Was thinking about it recently and I reckon we need more races along the coast on the Southside.

Northsiders have lovely Clontarf with its halfer and 5 mile, and 5k and 10k (and the Santa dash). Howth has some summit runs, and the Sutton/Howth 10k, and Fat Turkey run.

How about a 5k through Dalkey village? Or a nice halfer around Killiney Hill / Shankill etc?

Even Blackrock could host a few nice races provided we solve the issue of closing the Rock Road to traffic. Maybe a 5k through the village and the park?

It's all well and good having great races around Terenure / Rathfarnham a few times a year, but coastal races like DLR Bay 10k are absolutely magic on days like yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

The race was excellently organised, from the day before, when I picked up my race pack, until the I got back to the car afterwards.

I was very unfit and struggled throughout, but considering it's my first race back since tearing my MCL playing rugby earlier in the year, I was just happy to test my legs on the hills. They held up fine, my lungs were a different story altogether.

I'll be back next year, and I'll be planning on setting a PB for myself.

Well done to everyone involved in this, it was also great to see how enthusiastic the kids were in helping out.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Antwerp

Fantastic race altogether, loved the support en route as really helped, from the young kids offering water to the elderly gentleman offering kind words.

Great facilities and the organisation was superb, from start to finish.

Was my first 10km in 5 years and only started running in May so was thrilled to get a sub 60,
    Will definitely be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

Great race well marshalled and supported,
    I got a cotton tshirt with very little writing on it, so when I seen everyone else in there lovely technical t's on Monday morning I was gutted, :-(

Advertisement