Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DLR Bay 10k : Monday Aug 4th (Dún Laoghaire)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭overpronator

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Course summary:
    1-3k relatively flat
    3k - 5.5k you are making your way up to the high point, but it's not consistent you have as much flat as up in that section.
    5.5k - 9.2k pretty quick, mainly downhill with a few flat sections
    9.2k - Finish back through the start line and a cheeky little climb up past Teddy's Ice Cream Parlor which you probably didn't notice 1st time, then the last 400-500 is flat if not slightly downhill.

Parking:
    Glasthule side if you're heading south after the race, 1k warm down back to the car.
    Main St and around the Dart should be free if heading North or the Royal Marine Hotel for a charge, there's a public ground surface car park there too.

Thanks for that, you make it sound so easy!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Last time I did this it was entirely uphill. Don't mind beepbeep.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Last time I did this it was entirely uphill. Don't mind beepbeep.

Don't mind her she ran with 2 99's and stopped in the Deer Hunter for a pint bottle of Bulmers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Collection and late entries on the morning of the race, probably from 8 - 10

Sorry for being dense: does that mean only late entries can do collection on Monday morning? I registered ages ago, but don't really fancy schlepping all the way out there on Sunday to pick up my number. I can do that on Monday before 10am right? (I ask because it's no completely clear from the website).

cianc wrote: »
    Sorry for being dense: does that mean only late entries can do collection on Monday morning? I registered ages ago, but don't really fancy schlepping all the way out there on Sunday to pick up my number. I can do that on Monday before 10am right? (I ask because it's no completely clear from the website).

No need to apologize:) yes you can :)

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Looks like will be around dublin now for weekend, so think I will do this. Beep beep, do you think 9.30 would be safe enough for late entry on the day? Don't want to go too early and have to wait a couple of hours for the start. Need €25 euro with you on the day and will get a bag with entry to leave your stuff in (sweatshirt/rain jacket etc)

copacetic wrote: »
    Looks like will be around dublin now for weekend, so think I will do this. Beep beep, do you think 9.30 would be safe enough for late entry on the day? Don't want to go too early and have to wait a couple of hours for the start. Need €25 euro with you on the day and will get a bag with entry to leave your stuff in (sweatshirt/rain jacket etc)

Officially there's a late entry fee on Monday - but if you PM me your details tomorrow I'll get you on the system and I'll be in the Royal Marine until 10 anyway on Monday

Officially there's a late entry free on Monday - but if you PM me your details tomorrow I'll get you on the system and I'll be in the Royal Marine until 10 anyway on Monday

Just looking there now and the online entry seems to still be open today, so that is probably best thing to do?

Just looking there now and the online entry seems to still be open today, so that is probably best thing to do?

Whatever works for you

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭AlsoRan

Really looking forward to this, I'll even try not to moan about the uphill stretch too much, once the weather is better than today, anything for a dryish race! Enjoy everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭inigo

AlsoRan wrote: »
    Really looking forward to this, I'll even try not to moan about the uphill stretch too much, once the weather is better than today, anything for a dryish race! Enjoy everyone.

I was hoping for a bit of rain myself.. Did my 3h long run around Glendalough today, rained solidly for the last hour, was completely drenched and loved every minute! Looks like it's going to be warm on Monday morning though...

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Sara2002

Really looking forward to this now but I have a suspicion that it's going to be a bit hillier than it is being described!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 EggRih

Went to the Royal Marine earlier today to collect the race number and have to say everyone there- like last year- was absolutely lovely.

Friend and I had a nice afternoon stuffing ourselves with stuff from the market in the People's Park. Probably not the best course of action pre-race but at least it'll be burnt off!

Hope the race tomorrow is as enjoyable as it was last year. Hoping sub-45 (or at least to beat my 47:40ish time last year) but have minimal training due to being away for the summer. We'll wait and see sure :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Didn't manage to pick up my number, I'll have to get out early and do that tomorrow!

adrian522 wrote: »
    Didn't manage to pick up my number, I'll have to get out early and do that tomorrow!

We'll be there from 8 - 10 at the Royal Marine

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Going to need to diet some more. :) There was only medium t shirts left when my sister in law collected the number for me. Not the end of the world !

Really looking forward to this as it's the closest I could get to a hometown race and had originally pulled out but got back from injury a bit quicker than expected.

Going to need to diet some more. :) There was only medium t shirts left when my sister in law collected the number for me. Not the end of the world !

Really looking forward to this as it's the closest I could get to a hometown race and had originally pulled out but got back from injury a bit quicker than expected.

I was delighted that the medium t shirt is actually a medium fit, not the massive size they can often be, fits snugly and perfectly. (Although I border on the large, so it could be a little big for others)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

We'll be there from 8 - 10 at the Royal Marine

Thanks Beebeep, I should be there by 9 I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Very best of luck to all who are running this tomorrow, it's a really well run event and despite the challenging first half of the route is a very enjoyable race.
    Mr S and I have run this the past 2 years and we've really enjoyed it.
    Don't forget to treat yourself to a Teddies ice cream after the race:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Best of luck to all those running tomorrow...ENJOY!!

• Advertisement

Yay ! A medium fits me for first time in many years :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

No small t-shirts for me so!

No small t-shirts for me so!

To be fair there may be. I had actually ordered a Large myself.

Great day out, very well organised and stewarded. Pretty hot pre race and for the first couple of miles. Felt surprisingly hilly, between the heat, going out a little too fast and the constant upward drag for first 3 miles or so it seemed like a tougher race that it should have been! A lot of people seemed to be struggling badly and a number of people walking even on the earliest hills. Enjoyable though and would definitely do the race again..

Great race and very enjoyable course. I ended up right at the very back at the start which at least prevented me going off too fast.

Hilla weren't too bad though I did take a cheeky walk through the water station.

Great support out on the course as well.

Easily the best race on in Dublin today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 thedollar01

Great day out, very well organised and stewarded. Pretty hot pre race and for the first couple of miles. Felt surprisingly hilly, between the heat, going out a little too fast and the constant upward drag for first 3 miles or so it seemed like a tougher race that it should have been! A lot of people seemed to be struggling badly and a number of people walking even on the earliest hills. Enjoyable though and would definitely do the race again..

First ever DLR Bay 10k. I was one who struggled with the heat & hills early on, but otherwise I really liked this event. Very well run. Definitely coming back next year :)

Great race, great atmosphere! I was not going to race it (I'm training for a marathon) but ended up pushing it... And running 7 min faster than last year! :eek: All those runs in the hills seem to be paying up! :P

On another note, it surprised me how 99% of runners around me stuck to the left side of the road as if they were driving. I found myself alone and 5-6m away from people several times when trying to pick the straight line. :rolleyes:

It was an anticlockwise loop, so generally left side was shortest route? Was only really the stretch around monkstown etc with right hand sweeps.

It was an anticlockwise loop, so generally left side was shortest route? Was only really the stretch around monkstown etc with right hand sweeps.

Yes, I was thinking of the stretch through Monkstown, e.g. around the McCormack's pub. Lots of people cutting through corners on the paths too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 EggRih

Well done to the organisers on another superbly-run event. Delighted that I managed to achieve my sub-45 goal (only just!) today.

Will definitely be back again next year for round three. Well done to everyone who finished as well, and for anybody thinking of doing it next year- just do it!!

Advertisement